No more unboxings in Linus Tech Tips in 2014?

LinusTech

It would be a real shame if you did. Unboxings show me so many new products and give me great insight from you on them. I like your other content, but unboxings are almost like your bread and butter.

It's not like I didn't like the unboxings, but there's not really anything interresting in them (No offence). And if this means upping the quality of your other shows, then definitely drop them. Just add a slide to your review with what was in the box of the different cards, etc...

Anyhow, Keep dem vid's comming! ^^

I wouldn't mind if you say some extras that come in the box when you review the item

I dont think you should completely abandon the idea of unboxings, but just not make them into single videos. Include a portion of the unboxing in review videos, perhaps as b-roll footage while going over specifications and details.

Do these.

AAAAAAAAAGGGGGGGHHHHH!!!!

Honestly, I watch all your unboxings. I watch all of your videos, but in my opinion unboxings of GPUs, Fans, SSDs, CPUs, stock GPUs and many other products is pointless (a year or so ago you went on a big networking kick where you unboxed many many different routers, but all in all the videos were kind of "pointless" from an information standpoint).

"Unboxing and Overview" should not be abandoned however, unboxing of cases are still note-worthy. Also unique items are still worthwhile, or items that are aesthetically pleasing (certain mice, ram, and keyboards for example). 

Also a lot of videos are naturally funny and I think that is why so many people enjoy them, but that is a very niche part of audience and I can understand the reason behind abandoning them (and those people are also understanding of the decisions you make). 

I tend to skip lengthy videos of a product I am not too interested in, whereas I have watched short unboxing videos of products I have never heard of before. If it is something that interests me, I will research more into said product. You could keep the unboxing format and then follow up with an in-depth review (not too long down the road) on products that you notice having more views than the others, but on a slightly shorter range of products. Then again, maybe this is what you are already doing and still need to better manage your time... I don't know.

I actually liked watching unboxings of products you have NOT previously opened. I get more of a feeling of seeing what's inside at the same time as you do and actually watch your first impressions about it. You lose some of that appeal when you say you have already opened the box and had a look at it, repackaged it and then shoot the video. For some reason, people seem to have that same feeling watching you unbox something as if they had bought it themselves. You can have your fun with the unboxing videos and be funky Linus who shoots in the dark at product specs and overall impressions as well as follow up on a more serious note for the most demanded videos.

If you could do this, then great ! If not, I'll stiil watch any format you wish to adopt. I suck at writing on forums and I hardly never do it. It took me a good half hour to type this.

Thanks

I would like LESS unboxings but not NO unboxings. I would like more focused videos however if you guys find a product that is a must see than I would like an unboxing.

"If you do not take your failures seriously you will continue to fail"

It's always great to see in depth reviews of products, and build guides etc, but when I originally started watching your videos it was because I wanted a quick overview of a product, with the pros and cons summed up quickly. The longer videos are great , but they don't match you original image , which for me was recommending the best product to buy (no matter what I wanted to buy , you seemed to have a video on it) . So while I think more professional stuff is really good, I LOVED your quick and quirky unboxings , and I think that is what attracted a lot of people to you. After watching a video , I knew whether I should buy the product or not! You newer stuff seems to be harder to grasp, pointed more at constant followers , and not just at  people who want a quick computer fix. I probably liked your older stuff more tbh, as it allowed me to drool over stuff quickly , rather than watch title sequences, introductions, etc, etc, .

Nutshell: I like your new stuff, and it is good for in-the-know enthusiasts , but your older stuff was easier for "noobs" or a quick watch without the bs. 

Like you said , unboxings don't take long....so do a quick unboxing when the product first comes in , and then a review when you feel you know the product. We don't want to lose the unboxing format!

Main Rig:

Spoiler

AMD FX 8320 @4.5Ghz  8GB Corsair Vengeance LP Blu 1600Mhz Sapphire Vapor X HD 7950 3GB 120GB Samsung 840 Evo  Asus M5A99FX PRO R2.0 

Corsair 600T Graphite Corsair H80i Corsair CX600 2x LG 24 inch LED @1080p Logitech G700s CM Quickfire TK (Brown)

Home Server:

Spoiler

A4 6300 @3.7Ghz 5GB Kingston/Crucial DDR3 1600Mhz 1TB WD Green 2TB Seagate Barracuda

500GB WD Blue 2x Gigabit NIC Antec 300 OCZ 500w PSU Gigabyte F2A68HM-HD2 R1.1

Personally I think you should only unbox the long awaited/popular products. So there'll still be unboxings, but not as many. C:

My compootr!

Case: Bitfenix Ghost - CPU: i5 4670k @ 3.8 GHz - CPU Cooler: Stock :'C - Motherboard: Gigabyte Z87X-UD4H - RAM: Mushkin Enhanced Blackline 16GB @ 1600 - GPU: EVGA GTX 770 Superclocked w/ ACX Cooler - Hard Drive: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 7200 RPM - SSD: ADATA XPG SX900 128GB - Power Supply: Corsair HX750 - Keyboard: Corsair K70 - Mouse: SteelSeries Sensei - Headset: Monster Inspiration - Microphone: Blue Microphones Yeti - Monitor: BenQ XL2420TE

Where am I going to get your opinions on things? I love unboxings and that is what makes you so great to watch. Please don't stop. 

Don’t completely abandon ubnboxings maybe just unbox high end products such as high end motherboards, special edition graphics cards (Twin Forza, Direct CU, Windforce)

But if you do choose to get rid of unboxings i will still watch your videos

:)

I'd prefer fewer reviews of products you've used than lots of unboxings of products that might be very bad in the long run.

I would love to see a more in depth daily news show with you and/or Luke. With tech news and more in depth discussion about new products but maybe different themes on every week day. And then a summary on the longer WAN show on Friday's.

And the After party with Luke_lafr all night long!

I really like your unboxings but if you will then put more time and effort into different content i think i would be okay with it and the daily news show sounds really good, but please Linus still do the odd unboxing of products, just the really big releases. all in all just keep up the good work.

10% unboxings on only the best products that you see fit & 90% for what you really want to pursue.

Netflix Laptop: Asus G73JH-BST7 Specs: i7-740QM @1.73 but turbo up to 3.00+!, 6GB DDR3, 1GB HD5870, 640GB HD, 16x9

Gaming PC: Specs: i5 2500k @ 4ghz, 16 GB DDR3 G.Skill @1600, 2 2GB MSI 7850's @ 1050/1300, 700w OCZ PSU, Corsair 400R case, Gigabyte GA-Z68X-UD3H-B3 motherboard. 2 16x9 Acer monitor (Don't hate)

I'm ok with this, and for unboxings there are lot of youtubers out there so just focus on the quality. But i also love the little unprofessional part of linus.  :)

CPU: Intel Core i5-6600K, GFX: Asus GTX 970 Strix, MOBO: Asus Z170 PRO GAMING, RAM: DDR4 GSkill Ripjaw 4 (4GBx2 @ 3000mhz), SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 120gb, HDD: Hitachi 500gb, PSU: Corsair CX 430w, DISPLAY: Acer GD245HQ, CASE: NZXT S340 white, MOUSE: Logitech MX 518, KEYBOARD: TVS-E USB Mechanical  

I think that this is actually a good idea. For me better content > more content. I don't watch that many unboxings anyway... I find them kinda pointless tbh.

MacBook Pro 15' 2018 (Pretty much the only system I use)

I think the main reason you became the size you are is because of the unboxing's and that's how you can be found. By googling a product and your videos come up. So don't stop doing unboxing's

Aselwyn1

If you still REVIEW the products, but go more in depth, I'm all for it. Just show us the product and talk about the features and stuff, I don't really think that most of us actually care about what's in the box and if they do, like you say, there are 100 other Youtubers that will unbox the product for them :)

My rig: CPU: Intel core i5 4670K MoBo: MSI Z87-G45 Gaming RAM: Kingston HyperX Beast 2x4GB 1600mhz CL9 GPU: EVGA GTX780 SC ACX SSD: ADATA Premier Pro SP900 256GBHDD: Western Digital RED 2TB PSU: FSP Aurum CM 750W Case: Cooler Master HAF XM OS: Windows 8 Pro

My Build log, the Snowbird (heavy WIP): http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/188011-snowbird-by-lachy/?hl=snowbird

I am a great fan of un-boxings just to quickly see what you get.

I will usually look for benchmarks or tutorials in other places anyway.

Respect the Code of Conduct!

>> Feel free to join the unofficial LTT teamspeak 3 server TS3.schnitzel.team <<

>>LTT 10TB+ Topic<< | >>FlexRAID Tutorial<<>>LTT Speed wave<< | >>LTT Communies and Servers<<

Good idea, but please don't stop unboxing at all!

Because it's good to see, what is in the box and what does the product look like.

You do a great job on that.

I would much rather have in depth reviews and content. You're unboxings are some of the best out there but I find myself looking for your thoughts on something like a mouse or a monitor after you have had the chance to really use it.