No more unboxings in Linus Tech Tips in 2014?

LinusTech

I like this idea, more concentration on products, so you have a better understanding of the product and give you opinion more strongly.

Although i still think you should still do some unboxings of interesting products, or unusual ones. And unboxings of new tech eg GPU, CPU's, motherboards etc.

The content of the following post is not meant in anyway to be offensive. 

I think this would be fantastic. There was a period of time a few months ago where it seemed like Unboxings were all you guys were posting outside of the WAN show and I lost interest for awhile (in everything except the WAN show of course). Knowing whats in the box is nice but knowing rather that thing in the box is of any quality is more important to me so I would usually watch other reviews that would have the unboxing part in it as well so the LTT videos were mostly just a time waster at that point. Once you've seen something unboxed that's it. Unlike a full review, where it's nice to get other people's views and test results, an unboxing is an unboxing. you can only have so many varying opinions on how many sata cables come with a motherboard. I really enjoy the content you guys make but when it's just an unboxing it doesn't really provide me as a viewer with much value compared to other channels. I think LTTs strength has always been in analysis, and there just isn't a whole lot of that to be had in unboxing.

Beyond of course the various types of packing foam. 

My take on it:

The Linustechtips channel is known for the unboxings, and I could understand that many people would be sad to see it go. Personally I'm not a huge fan of unboxings in general, luckily the Linustechtips unboxings provide a little more than just the average unboxing. That said: I wouldn't be upset to see it go, at least it would be a start to see some of it gone. When there's a new graphics card from Nvidia, like the recent release of the 780. There's always like a million(not really though) videos about each card. 1080p, 1440p, unboxing, tech overviews and then videos about the various coolers.

I wouldn't mind to see stuff gone, like the unboxing of the various different coolers. In return of maybe a single higher quality video, comparing the cards.

I'm not sure if this is what you're trying to achieve. But to me, the Corsair "Commercials" on the Tech quickie channel, would be the optimal "unboxing". If getting rid of some random unboxings would make room for more videos like that, then I'm all for it! :)

Noo, I don't want individual random unboxings to go away, especially if they take way less time than the other stuff.

I'm not convinced that dropping this big branch of videos in favor of Netlinked Daily style shows is a good idea, 

But if you really want to then try it, you can always 180 back Xbone style ;)

Make it  a new years resolution, that way you can shamelessly give it up in January :D

Linus,

I have been subscribed to you for quite some time and like most of the others it was your style of unboxings that sold me.  This is my very first post or comment because I saw the tweet and felt strongly enough about it to say something.  I can totally understand why you would like to focus on other areas and abandon the unboxings completely.  I would say that if you feel really strongly about it, I respect your decision making abilities enough to "go with it" and hope that your product reviews will contain some elements of unboxings in them.  My only reservation is that some products I do still like to see the contents of the package, and it's hard to find someone out there that is bearable to watch for this purpose.  I with you luck with whatever decision you make, and I will stay a loyal subscriber and fan regardless of the decision.

Chris

Linus,

Please dont stop doing unboxings. Thats the whole reason I started to watch LinusTechTips and also NCIX. Now I watch all the LMG guys doing all this fantastic work on LTT and Techquickie.

I side with what a lot of people have said on here is that the casual non scripted unboxings is what we all love. But we also love the now more professional stuff that your doing. 

If you was going to stop the unboxings. What would take their place?

Keep up that great work guys!!!!!!!!!!

Asus Maximus VI Hero , i5 4670k , 8gb Corsair vengeance ddr3, Asus HD 7970 matrix platinum, Corsair AX860, Ocz agility 3 120gb ssd, 1tb wd green hdd, custom water loop. All in an Antec p280

I'm so on the fence about this, i remember when the LTT intro was linus cutting himself out of a box...When unboxings were the main focus. I loved that time,and still watch some of those videos sometimes. But more quality and especially quantity would be very nice. Things like cases we don't need the boxes,see one, you see em' all i guess. same with CPU's,GPU's,ect. But other products that are different and things you don't review often could be unboxings. Maybe do more guides,setups,and tutorials. I would miss unboxings,but would still fully watch Linus Tech Tips, and love every video you make (Other than Apple products  :P). Either way you go I would be fine.  

Edit:

Maybe make a few test videos to try the new system to see if people like it?

I am considering completely abandoning unboxings in 2014 to focus on reviews, guides, Tech Quickie, and our upcoming daily news show.

What this means first of all is LESS CONTENT. Unboxings take a fraction as long as all that other stuff, so we won't be able to cover nearly the breadth of products that we used to do...

What it also means is MORE QUALITY and MORE FOCUS. We'll be able to really spend time getting familiar with things before we show it to you and really zone in on the stuff that we feel is most relevant, exciting and interesting.

Please let me know your thoughts.

Mr Linus,

I personally would appreciate this direction. I honestly watch all your videos, even if Im not interested in the product I will watch just to spend time with you guys.

I have little to no interest in  portable usb speakers , mobile file sharing hotspots , usb thumb drives, or ipad cases, unless however some new groundbreaking tech comes out then its always nice to know. I do like product round ups comparing lets say a group of products. for example your router comparisons at your house and at ncix HQ etc. you actually do alot of comparisons, which i like alot.

I appreciate quality over quantity any day of the week.  When you were an ncix employee it seemed like you could really focus on the tech. you produced lots of overclocking guides for basically all platforms, you preached about stability and validation. loading up a board with 64gb of ram and letting er prime for a long weekend, thats what im talking about! I really enjoyed your core values back in those days. Business is busy and can become overwhelming.

I would have liked to seen some stress testing validation between the MSI itx vs maximus extreme motherboard overclocking comparison.

keep pushing exciting relevant stuff. Why do you think Im excited for Nvidia Shield. LMG

Mainboard Asrock Z170 OCF CPU 6700k RAM Tridentz 3600 HDD Intel 730 240gb GPU GTX 780ti sc acx PSU Silverstone Strider 1200W  Case Antec 900 Laptop Lenovo Thinkpad T520 build log-   http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/35809-antec-900-the-re-birth-of-a-legend/ Check out the Tech Center https://www.youtube.com/user/prokon24/videos LTT's Unicore King

I think this is a good idea, but I think your timing may be a little too drastic, I would prefer if you slowly ramped down the amount of unboxings over the next month and then switch in 2014. I love the idea of a daily news show, but I would prefer if it weren't lke the net linked daily with bad jokes, so just make sure it is unique to LMG. I know that you'll make the right choice in your decision about this and I hope the rest of the community does too. Go LMG!!!!

i9 25.6 GHz with NeuronThreading, 256gb 6000 MHz RAM, GTX 990 OC 3024MHz 12gb, Skeletal X99 motherboard, 1 Petabyte SSD, Fractal Design Humaniod R1 Case, Herbivore 10,000W PSU, Noctua NF16 LP Derma Cooler.

Probably the only Star Citizen player who is planning on a career in Journalism instead of piracy, mining, trading, exploration, military, station management, etc.

Generation 0: The first time you see this add 1 to the number and copy it into your sig. Consider it a social experiment.

I guess I never really understood the point of an unboxing. If someone could explain that to me please do.

Until someone blows my mind I vote for either doing a lot less pf them or none at all. Also doing less video's is good because I understand all the work that even goes into a short video.

I would say unbox the really cool stuff that you want to but leave out the rest, I do enjoy the case unboxings when there is something cool or new but otherwise its all, here is a box... here is whats int he box... Look its shiny, thats about it.

I do enjoy your reviews just as much though really what is most notable about them is that you are knowledgeable in the hardware and are thus able to give a well rounded argument for or against a product and  which for me is nice as I don't have the time or income to play with all the shiny stuff.

Star Citizen LTT Conglomerate Wants you! Join now!

UOLTT Basop | Misc Freelancer & Origin M50

Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.

-Groucho Marx

For me unboxings get pretty tiring lately. Everyone's doing it and yeah it's entertaining because of your delivery but there's only so much useful information or something to learn from an unboxing. Also it doesn't work that well as a buyers guide - it only works to make me aware of a product and I have to get the indept stuff elsewhere which kinda sucks. So I strongly support your idea. That said it's a pity that this means lesser content because I use your videos to relax after work just as other people watch TV but I will take that in return for higher quality content.

PS. And btw please get those audio issues on the wan show sortet out. Man is it aweful to listen to!

CPU: AMD R5 5600x | Mainboard: MSI MAG B550m Mortar Wifi | RAM: 32GB Crucial Ballistix 3200 Rev E | GPU: MSI RTX 2070 Armor | Case: Xigmatek Aquila | PSU: Corsair RM650i | SSDs: Crucial BX300 120GB | Samsung 840 EVO 120GB | Crucial m500 120GB | HDDs: 2x Seagate Barracuda 4TB | CPU Cooler: Scythe Fuma 2 | Casefans: Bitfenix Spectre LED red 200mm (Intake), Bequiet Pure Wings 2 140mm (Exhaust) | OS: Windows 10 Pro 64 Bit

Maybe not abandon them completely. Abondon unboxings of mobile stuff and peripherals (unless extremely quirky/ innovative products where a first impression is good to have) but I think you should continue with workstation and gaming PC-related new tech unboxings, especially motherboards and graphics cards at the beginning of each new generation. Oh and that recent ASUS monitor one was brilliant too, although borderline it was a review.

But to be perfectly honest, whenever you've posted an unboxing of in-ear headsets, tragic ultrabooks, mobile phones or bluetooth speakers and other "dimestore junk" I die a little inside because it's "stealing" content from the high end PC stuff that deserves your insight and made your channel popular in the first place.

In case the moderators do not ban me as requested, this is a notice that I have left and am not coming back.

i don't see unboxings as an actual unboxing. (but i'd still like you to keep them coming on your channel).

i see unboxings as a quick way to review a product and where about it fits in with its story. i also like the quality you bring to unboxings compared to other channels.

i watch unboxings and then base my decision later on if i want to watch the review of that product.

i would be upset if you got rid of unboxings

Spoiler

Gaming/Engineering PC: -i7 6700K, 4-4.2GHz "Eleanor" -ASUS ROG HERO VIII MOBO -16GB DDR4 3000MHz Corsair (2x8GB) -Gigabyte Windforce 980Ti OC edition (1405MHz GPU clock) -H110i GT Corsair CPU Water cooler -980GB Sandisk Ultra II SSD -Corsair 450D ATX Case -RM850i Corsair PSU (Modular) -28” 4K Samsung -27” 1080p Samsung 

I prefer that decision as long as you show what came in the box.

i think you should keep the un boxings, but only on things such as peripherals, but things like a video card, its the same stuff in the box every time not that big of a deal 

Unboxings are nice but imo the direction that you want to head is a really good one.

Why? Well I don't see a point in splitting the time in making a unboxing/first impressions video and then doing a full in depth review. I really think it's worth the wait for one video that covers everything. In that video you can mention what you thought of it at first and then say what you were right and wrong in.

So for example: "At first I thought this monitor would have a (good or bad) build quality but I was very pleasantly surprised that it has a (good or bad) build quality. You mention the packaging and what it comes with and things like that so you basically merge the unboxing details with a full in depth look and review of the product.

Just my opinion, it would be much more "cleaner" this way I guess thats a good word to describe it.

Specs of my PC:

CPU: AMD FX 8350  Motherboard: Gigabyte 990XA UD3  GPU: Gigabyte GTX 770 Windforce 2GB  HDD: WD Green 2TB SSD:  Corsair Force GT 120GB SSD RAM: Corsair 8GB(2X4) PSU: CoolerMaster G650M

I enjoy your unboxings and I think you should stick to them, perhaps do them less often but often first impressions of a product can give just as much valuable information as a review that took much longer to create. While both of these options make for great content and advice. I think you should try and maintain a balance between the high production value content and the more down to earth quicker videos "linus' personal opinion and thought" content.

Case: Corsair 460X RGB bby, CPU: I5 8600K, Motherboard: MSI B360M PRO-VDH, RAM: 8GB Hyper X 2400MHz , Graphics Card: GTX1060 6GB, PSU: Corsair RM750x,

Cooler: BEQuiet!  Pure Rock Slim SSD: Kingston 240GB, HDD: 2TB Seagate Barracuda

Maybe you could say what accessories come with the product during the review.

Intel i7 5820K (4.5 GHz) | MSI X99A MPower | 32 GB Kingston HyperX Fury 2666MHz | Asus RoG STRIX GTX 1080ti OC | Samsung 951 m.2 nVME 512GB | Crucial MX200 1000GB | Western Digital Caviar Black 2000GB | Noctua NH-D15 | Fractal Define R5 | Seasonic 860 Platinum | Logitech G910 | Sennheiser 599 | Blue Yeti | Logitech G502

Nikon D500 | Nikon 300mm f/4 PF  | Nikon 200-500 f/5.6 | Nikon 50mm f/1.8 | Tamron 70-210 f/4 VCII | Sigma 10-20 f/3.5 | Nikon 17-55 f/2.8 | Tamron 90mm F2.8 SP Di VC USD Macro | Neewer 750II

big fan big technology geek

i will watch your stuff no matter what you do but i am interest in un boxing of the latest things.

its good to get a hand on look so i can see if it will fit, what it looks. ect 

i think it also how allot of people will find you, they will search for a product and find you on you-tube.

keep up the good work

I'm not totally against it but when I first subscribe to your channel, I'm actually into the whole 'unboxing' thing. 

I want to know what is inside the box, what is included so I can buy other parts that can help enhance this part. 

I have seen your unboxing of 400R, Siberia V2, etc before buying though, it gives me some sense of confidence for the product.

However, your recent changes to talk more about guides, tips, etc is also very helpful, I guess I can see others unbox while listen to your guide as all your guides are very helpful than others.

I am totally fine by the abandoning the unboxing idea.

Thank you for providing such wonderful content! 

Linus.....wasn't Linus Media Group built on the strong foundation of unboxing. I'm all for the growth of Linus Media Group.

Just take the time to reflect on your endeavors before making a final decision.What ever you decide ill support that.

CM Storm Trooper| Asua Maximum VII Formula| 4770k H100i|Kingston Beast 32GB|Samsung Evo 250GB SSD|Seagate 3TB|EVGA Kingpin Edition 780 Ti(SLI)|Sound Blaster Z|Corsair 1200i

Samsung U28D590D | Corsair K70 | Razer Naga Hex | Kingston Hyper X Gaming Headset

My simple opinion: Reviews are quick and easier than reviews. They allow me to get a idea of the product and to a introduction. If I want to know more, I can just look it up. That is a statement to both support and disapprove my idea sense many people want a full review and unboxing at the same time (more info). Either way, I never differentiated the two types of videos, and would rather have it the same or similar, what ever may seem more convenient to the LTT minion community and you.

To love is to risk not being loved in return. To hope is to risk pain. To try is to risk failure, but risk must be taken because the greatest hazard in life is to risk nothing.

Lesser unboxings are ok. But don't totally stop unboxings. Do unboxings of cases and not gfx cards as we don't really need your opinions on gfx cards. Your opinions can be said on the WAN show for exp.