rant about specs for casual use...

7 hours ago, MEC-777 said:

What the average casual user believes they need is very different from what they actually need. So much money could be saved by installing an SSD in an older, yet still very capable PC instead of buying yet another new pre-built with another slow-ass HDD. Sadly most people don't realize it's the HDD that's slowing the machine way down.

Although I do believe upgrading to SSD can make a difference, the issues I've experienced are mostly negative in Windows 7 machines. Sometimes it can be very hard to get drivers for some OEM hardware, specifically the wireless NIC. I sometimes don't recommend upgrade unless a clone is a viable option because of lack of drivers for these machines. 8.1 and W10, go for it!

But even some W7 machines don't have the support for W10 either. OEM laptops are the main culprit with compatibility issues.

6 hours ago, Ryujin2003 said:

Although I do believe upgrading to SSD can make a difference, the issues I've experienced are mostly negative in Windows 7 machines. Sometimes it can be very hard to get drivers for some OEM hardware, specifically the wireless NIC. I sometimes don't recommend upgrade unless a clone is a viable option because of lack of drivers for these machines. 8.1 and W10, go for it!

But even some W7 machines don't have the support for W10 either. OEM laptops are the main culprit with compatibility issues.

Yeah. My old pc doesn't have windows 10 drivers for the PCI controller. So the normal PCI doesn't work.

She/Her

Never expect tech enthusiasts to understand the casual non power user.    There is a reason $300 laptops and HP desktops sell. 

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

11 hours ago, edward30 said:

So you meant to say that ALL your computers together do the work you described before, rather than each one being capable of running all of that simultaneously?

No, each one is capable of that kind of workload. 

Main System: Phobos

AMD Ryzen 7 2700 (8C/16T), ASRock B450 Steel Legend, 16GB G.SKILL Aegis DDR4 3000MHz, AMD Radeon RX 570 4GB (XFX), 960GB Crucial M500, 2TB Seagate BarraCuda, Windows 10 Pro for Workstations/macOS Catalina

Secondary System: York

Intel Core i7-2600 (4C/8T), ASUS P8Z68-V/GEN3, 16GB GEIL Enhance Corsa DDR3 1600MHz, Zotac GeForce GTX 550 Ti 1GB, 240GB ADATA Ultimate SU650, Windows 10 Pro for Workstations

Older File Server: Yet to be named

Intel Pentium 4 HT (1C/2T), Intel D865GBF, 3GB DDR 400MHz, ATI Radeon HD 4650 1GB (HIS), 80GB WD Caviar, 320GB Hitachi Deskstar, Windows XP Pro SP3, Windows Server 2003 R2

57 minutes ago, Jamiec1130 said:

No, each one is capable of that kind of workload. 

yeah, i once had a core 2 duo system that ran at 2.6 ghz, with 6gb of ram and 2 gpu's, and that thing was an absolute beast. 

She/Her

P4 ~3GHz

SSD

4GB of RAM

GPU that can support DX 11

thats about it, works fine. you could step it up to a core 2 duo or core 2 quad if you want too but  a P4 will work OK if all you are doing is browsing the web

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

38 minutes ago, Bananasplit_00 said:

P4 ~3GHz

SSD

4GB of RAM

GPU that can support DX 11

thats about it, works fine. you could step it up to a core 2 duo or core 2 quad if you want too but  a P4 will work OK if all you are doing is browsing the web

a Pentium 4 in my experience is too slow. if for example you are listening to music via spotify and are browsing it will stutter. 

She/Her

Just now, firelighter487 said:

a Pentium 4 in my experience is too slow. if for example you are listening to music via spotify and are browsing it will stutter. 

not the ones running more then 3GHz, they work pretty good from my experience. a dual core is ofcource much better at basically everything but a P4 will work

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

53 minutes ago, Bananasplit_00 said:

not the ones running more then 3GHz, they work pretty good from my experience. a dual core is ofcource much better at basically everything but a P4 will work

i had a 3.2 ghz or something, and overclocked it to 3.8, and it still struggled with 1080p youtube, spotify while browsing etc. 

She/Her

i had a 3.2 ghz or something, and overclocked it to 3.8, and it still struggled with 1080p youtube, spotify while browsing etc. 

the initial toaster prodject PC had no problems with that that werent caused by the 2GB of RAM or the shitty harddrive, thats why i put 4GB of RAM and an SSD in there

Builds:

Spoiler

20 hours ago, firelighter487 said:

if i can browse youtube, type up documents etc on a machine from 2008, why are people paying $500 for machines that are way overkill for that stuff.

How much did you pay for it in 2008? 

Maybe they will be using those i5 machines just fine 9 years from now...

12 hours ago, Ryujin2003 said:

I would not recommend anyone stay on windows 7 these days. Either upgrade to windows 10 or make the switch to Linux - which can often run much better on older hardware due to requiring far less system resources. 

My Systems:

Main - Work + Gaming:

Spoiler

Woodland Raven: Ryzen 2700X // AMD Wraith RGB // Asus Prime X570-P // G.Skill 2x 8GB 3600MHz DDR4 // Radeon RX Vega 56 // Crucial P1 NVMe 1TB M.2 SSD // Deepcool DQ650-M // chassis build in progress // Windows 10 // Thrustmaster TMX + G27 pedals & shifter

F@H Rig:

Spoiler

FX-8350 // Deepcool Neptwin // MSI 970 Gaming // AData 2x 4GB 1600 DDR3 // 2x Gigabyte RX-570 4G's // Samsung 840 120GB SSD // Cooler Master V650 // Windows 10

HTPC:

Spoiler

SNES PC (HTPC): i3-4150 @3.5 // Gigabyte GA-H87N-Wifi // G.Skill 2x 4GB DDR3 1600 // Asus Dual GTX 1050Ti 4GB OC // AData SP600 128GB SSD // Pico 160XT PSU // Custom SNES Enclosure // 55" LG LED 1080p TV  // Logitech wireless touchpad-keyboard // Windows 10 // Build Log

Laptops:

Spoiler

MY DAILY: Lenovo ThinkPad T410 // 14" 1440x900 // i5-540M 2.5GHz Dual-Core HT // Intel HD iGPU + Quadro NVS 3100M 512MB dGPU // 2x4GB DDR3L 1066 // Mushkin Triactor 480GB SSD // Windows 10

WIFE'S: Dell Latitude E5450 // 14" 1366x768 // i5-5300U 2.3GHz Dual-Core HT // Intel HD5500 // 2x4GB RAM DDR3L 1600 // 500GB 7200 HDD // Linux Mint 19.3 Cinnamon

EXPERIMENTAL: Pinebook // 11.6" 1080p // Manjaro KDE (ARM)

NAS:

Spoiler

Home NAS: Pentium G4400 @3.3 // Gigabyte GA-Z170-HD3 // 2x 4GB DDR4 2400 // Intel HD Graphics // Kingston A400 120GB SSD // 3x Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200 HDDs in RAID-Z // Cooler Master Silent Pro M 1000w PSU // Antec Performance Plus 1080AMG // FreeNAS OS

21 hours ago, firelighter487 said:

if i can browse youtube, type up documents etc on a machine from 2008, why are people paying $500 for machines that are way overkill for that stuff.

why?

because misleading advertising and not knowing better. 

really, no other reason.

appealing to casuals is all about big numbers.

it's about tricking them into thinking they made a good deal because they bought a computer with THIS much gigahertz and SO much RAM and THAT large of a harddrive.

casuals do not know that this "awesome" high gigahertz CPU only is a crappy quad core with no hyperthreading. (if it even is a real quad core)

casuals do not care that the "huge" amount of RAM is on a single stick and that spliting the same amount over two modules for dual channel operation would make the system even faster.

and nobody told them that their "insanely large" HDD is a 5400 rpm with access times from hell and that a SSD paired with a HDD would have been the wiser choice.

then again, hardcore casuals also have a habit of not caring where they put their files or install their stuff so they would fill up the bootdrive in no time but leave the second drive untouched and then complain about running out of space.

anyways, a system this bad really needs to be $500 to get anything done at all. and people buy $500 systems like that from time to time because their last computer was also this bad and is now so painfully slow that it can not even handle web browsing any moar. (when all that wold have been needed to bring the old system back to a useable state would have been a SSD)

22 minutes ago, edward30 said:

I find that extremely hard to believe. I mean, assuming you're dedicating one core to your Win 7 VM, are we to believe that a single 10 year old core is running the rest of it?

I don't think it could do all of that without some slowdown. It doesn't pass the smell test. If yours does, then either I'm not understanding what you're actually running and your use case, or you really do have a magic Core 2 Duo from outer space.

a vm only uses cpu time if it's doing something. if his vm stares at the desktop all day, then it won't use cpu time. and core 2 duo's multitask pretty well. my e8400 runs spotify, a few tabs and a ubuntu vm quite nicely. i could handle more stuff, but i don't have the ram for that. 

She/Her

6 hours ago, mr moose said:

Never expect tech enthusiasts to understand the casual non power user.    There is a reason $300 laptops and HP desktops sell. 

I know quite a bit that casual people that got a around 300 $ laptop and then complain because it is slow.... mostly because they dont have SSD.

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Try to make sense of what you see and wonder about what makes the universe exist. Be curious. And however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at. 
It matters that you don't just give up.”

-Stephen Hawking

2 minutes ago, Mihle said:

I know quite a bit that casual people that got a around 300 $ laptop and then complain because it is slow.... mostly because they dont have SSD.

most laptops at that price have single channel ram and integrated graphics as well... not good...

She/Her

Most 'casual' users are people that buy laptops or tablets rather than desktops since they are more convenient for things such as movie streaming. It's just how most 'casual' gamers buy consoles rather than PC's because of the ease of use and set-up. However both of these things can relate to the person often having little knowledge about which is the best to buy and how to set them up etc. Because of this, people often pay more for the premium of someone else to have set it up for them, therefore getting less for their money spec wise. If they knew how to build a decent desktop they wouldn't need to spend £500 or more and in which case, they probably aren't the 'casual' user since they know more than simply buying the product.

My Rig:

Xeon E5 1680 V2 @ 4.5GHz - Asus Rampage IV Extreme X79 Mobo - 64GB DDR3 1600MHz - 8 x 8GB Corsair Vengeance Low Profile - CAS 10-10-10-27 - AMD Radeon RX 6700XT Sapphire Pulse 12GB - DeepCool E-Shield E-ATX Tempered Glass Case - 1 x 1TB Crucial P1 NVMe SSD - BeQuiet Straight Power 11 850W Gold+ Quad rail - Fractal Design Celsius S36 & 6 x 120mm silent fans - Lenovo KBBH21 - Corsair Glaive RGB Pro - Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit

Monitors - 3 x Acer Nitro 23.8" 1080p 75Hz IPS 1ms Freesync Panels = AMD Eyefinity @ 75Hz

1 minute ago, Brennan_Price said:

Most 'casual' users are people that buy laptops or tablets rather than desktops since they are more convenient for things such as movie streaming. It's just how most 'casual' gamers buy consoles rather than PC's. However both of these things can relate to the person often having little knowledge about which is the best to buy and how to set them up etc. Because of this, people often pay more for the premium of someone else to have set it up for them. If they knew how to build a decent desktop they wouldn't need to spend £500 or more and in which case, they probably aren't the 'casual' user since they know more than simply buying the product.

that seems logical... i'm just amazed by the amount of people in this day and age that aren't tech-savy...

She/Her

1 minute ago, firelighter487 said:

that seems logical... i'm just amazed by the amount of people in this day and age that aren't tech-savy...

Haha yeah same, despite ICT being taught as a compulsory subject since 2000(?) there really aren't that many people that truly know how to do 'techy' stuff without help from the internet or from others around them.

However, it is funny when you know about the majority of 'techy' things asked in a group chat and you can be like "I told you so". Never gets old, especially when they ask for your advice and they think you're wrong xD

My Rig:

Xeon E5 1680 V2 @ 4.5GHz - Asus Rampage IV Extreme X79 Mobo - 64GB DDR3 1600MHz - 8 x 8GB Corsair Vengeance Low Profile - CAS 10-10-10-27 - AMD Radeon RX 6700XT Sapphire Pulse 12GB - DeepCool E-Shield E-ATX Tempered Glass Case - 1 x 1TB Crucial P1 NVMe SSD - BeQuiet Straight Power 11 850W Gold+ Quad rail - Fractal Design Celsius S36 & 6 x 120mm silent fans - Lenovo KBBH21 - Corsair Glaive RGB Pro - Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit

Monitors - 3 x Acer Nitro 23.8" 1080p 75Hz IPS 1ms Freesync Panels = AMD Eyefinity @ 75Hz

Just now, Brennan_Price said:

Haha yeah same, despite ICT being taught as a compulsory subject since 2000(?) there really aren't that many people that truly know how to do 'techy' stuff without help from the internet or from others around them.

However, it is funny when you know about the majority of 'techy' things asked in a group chat and you can be like "I told you so". Never gets old, especially when they ask for your advice and they think you're wrong xD

yeah, that never gets old xD

She/Her

23 hours ago, firelighter487 said:

If a 1k 2000 honda civic will get you from point A to point B just as reliably as a brand new Audi S8 why would anyone spend over 100k on a car?

pretty much the same reason

Just now, Sir Balbador said:

If a 1k 2000 honda civic will get you from point A to point B just as reliably as a brand new Audi S8 why would anyone spend over 100k on a car?

pretty much the same reason

yeah, but an s8 is actually more comfortable etc. my 2008 machine is faster then most consumer laptops....

She/Her

yeah, but an s8 is actually more comfortable etc. my 2008 machine is faster then most consumer laptops....

ok ill switch it around I think used audis are a good bit cheaper than a brand new civic. they will be more comfortable, faster, better looking

Just now, Sir Balbador said:

ok ill switch it around I think used audis are a good bit cheaper than a brand new civic. they will be more comfortable, faster, better looking

there you go. that was the whole story of my rant. why do most people buy the brand new civic?

She/Her