rant about specs for casual use...

1 minute ago, Jamiec1130 said:

Other than my SSD (which I use for a lot of my computes, not just one), my Core 2 Duo rigs and all their parts were free. 

you were lucky. i bought my core 2 machine second hand 1.5 years ago as a replacement for my athlon x2 system that died. 

She/Her

Just now, firelighter487 said:

you were lucky. i bought my core 2 machine second hand 1.5 years ago as a replacement for my athlon x2 system that died. 

I've only paid for one Core 2 Duo desktop, but I really only paid for the software that came with it. Activated Windows 10 Pro, Office 2013 Professional Plus and more for $50 USD. 

Main System: Phobos

AMD Ryzen 7 2700 (8C/16T), ASRock B450 Steel Legend, 16GB G.SKILL Aegis DDR4 3000MHz, AMD Radeon RX 570 4GB (XFX), 960GB Crucial M500, 2TB Seagate BarraCuda, Windows 10 Pro for Workstations/macOS Catalina

Secondary System: York

Intel Core i7-2600 (4C/8T), ASUS P8Z68-V/GEN3, 16GB GEIL Enhance Corsa DDR3 1600MHz, Zotac GeForce GTX 550 Ti 1GB, 240GB ADATA Ultimate SU650, Windows 10 Pro for Workstations

Older File Server: Yet to be named

Intel Pentium 4 HT (1C/2T), Intel D865GBF, 3GB DDR 400MHz, ATI Radeon HD 4650 1GB (HIS), 80GB WD Caviar, 320GB Hitachi Deskstar, Windows XP Pro SP3, Windows Server 2003 R2

1 hour ago, typographie said:

I can only speak for myself, but I've never met a truly casual user who has even heard of an SSD, let alone one that wants to pay extra for one. That's doubly true with regards to Hyperthreading or chipset features.

If you're tech savvy enough to recognize that, you're probably not a casual user. It's a paradox: if you know enough about this tech to make an informed and reasonable decision,  then you also know enough not to overspend.

I'm not sure the premise of this question is sound. Casual users are fleeing towards laptops and iPads in droves, and office PCs still seem to me to be dominated by Celerons and Pentiums. Is it even a fact that 'casuals' are buying a lot of $500+ PCs? That part seems to have been glossed over a bit.

it's true i'm not a casual user. that wasn't the point of my rant. 

for example, my little brother has a i5 laptop. only uses it for minecraft. and then he freaks out when my old pc's run it better because he only has intel graphics. and then i'm like, why did you buy it then...  

She/Her

I've only paid for one Core 2 Duo desktop, but I really only paid for the software that came with it. Activated Windows 10 Pro, Office 2013 Professional Plus and more for $50 USD. 

wow... mine came from a store that sells second hand systems, and it came with activated windows 10 pro, and a 640gb hdd that's still in it. it cost me about €100 then.. 

She/Her

6 minutes ago, firelighter487 said:

wow... mine came from a store that sells second hand systems, and it came with activated windows 10 pro, and a 640gb hdd that's still in it. it cost me about €100 then.. 

Yeah, I got one hell of a deal, I might say. That shop also had another identical system, but I don't think they ever sold it before going out of business. I also got a monitor with it as well. 

AMD Ryzen 7 2700 (8C/16T), ASRock B450 Steel Legend, 16GB G.SKILL Aegis DDR4 3000MHz, AMD Radeon RX 570 4GB (XFX), 960GB Crucial M500, 2TB Seagate BarraCuda, Windows 10 Pro for Workstations/macOS Catalina

Intel Core i7-2600 (4C/8T), ASUS P8Z68-V/GEN3, 16GB GEIL Enhance Corsa DDR3 1600MHz, Zotac GeForce GTX 550 Ti 1GB, 240GB ADATA Ultimate SU650, Windows 10 Pro for Workstations

Intel Pentium 4 HT (1C/2T), Intel D865GBF, 3GB DDR 400MHz, ATI Radeon HD 4650 1GB (HIS), 80GB WD Caviar, 320GB Hitachi Deskstar, Windows XP Pro SP3, Windows Server 2003 R2

Yeah, I got one hell of a deal, I might say. That shop also had another identical system, but I don't think they ever sold it before going out of business. I also got a monitor with it as well. 

i got a monitor with mine too! nice 1440x900 one that i still use now :)

She/Her

41 minutes ago, firelighter487 said:

really? just the ssd? but all of my games are stored on the harddrives, and they run smooth, and the last time i used a hdd system, it was only slow when opening stuff. web browsing itself was fine...

Well the ssd will definitely not make your games run at higher fps or anything. That's on your cpu/gpu (depending on what you play). However, for everything else, it's impact is huge. A core 2 duo machine with an hdd as boot might feel unusable, but an ssd can fix that for day to day tasks. 

Heck, i even had to use an athlon 64 x2 system for a month as my main rig, but because of my ssd, it didn't feel quite as bad as it sounds. 

AMD Ryzen R7 1700 (3.8ghz) w/ NH-D14, EVGA RTX 2080 XC (stock), 4*4GB DDR4 3000MT/s RAM, Gigabyte AB350-Gaming-3 MB, CX750M PSU, 1.5TB SDD + 7TB HDD, Phanteks enthoo pro case

What the average casual user believes they need is very different from what they actually need. So much money could be saved by installing an SSD in an older, yet still very capable PC instead of buying yet another new pre-built with another slow-ass HDD. Sadly most people don't realize it's the HDD that's slowing the machine way down. 

Helped my dad pick out a new laptop recently (his old one was legitimately crap) and the first thing I did was remove the 1TB slow-ass 5400rpm HDD and swap it out with a 256GB SSD (he only needs a fraction of that for storage even) and it blew his mind how much faster the machine is with the SSD. Boots into windows in less than 10 seconds.  

In terms of minimum specs for casual users, it kind of depends on how much multi-tasking they do and how heavily they use a browser. Some people only have 1 or 2 tabs open and only do one thing at a time on their PC. Other people, although still considered casual users, could have dozens of tabs, multiple word, spreadsheets, pdf's etc. open at the same time, which can benefit from more cores and more ram. 

I specifically chose a laptop with at least an i5 and 8GB ram for my dad, even though he is a light user - because he keeps things for a long time and I wanted this PC to last him as long as possible. I would imagine a celeron or pentium will probably struggle with basic use in 5-8 years time, where as an i5 (like the first gen i5's) will still hold up decently in that time span. 

So again, it really depends on the user and how long they plan on keeping it.   

My Systems:

Main - Work + Gaming:

Spoiler

Woodland Raven: Ryzen 2700X // AMD Wraith RGB // Asus Prime X570-P // G.Skill 2x 8GB 3600MHz DDR4 // Radeon RX Vega 56 // Crucial P1 NVMe 1TB M.2 SSD // Deepcool DQ650-M // chassis build in progress // Windows 10 // Thrustmaster TMX + G27 pedals & shifter

F@H Rig:

Spoiler

FX-8350 // Deepcool Neptwin // MSI 970 Gaming // AData 2x 4GB 1600 DDR3 // 2x Gigabyte RX-570 4G's // Samsung 840 120GB SSD // Cooler Master V650 // Windows 10

HTPC:

Spoiler

SNES PC (HTPC): i3-4150 @3.5 // Gigabyte GA-H87N-Wifi // G.Skill 2x 4GB DDR3 1600 // Asus Dual GTX 1050Ti 4GB OC // AData SP600 128GB SSD // Pico 160XT PSU // Custom SNES Enclosure // 55" LG LED 1080p TV  // Logitech wireless touchpad-keyboard // Windows 10 // Build Log

Laptops:

Spoiler

MY DAILY: Lenovo ThinkPad T410 // 14" 1440x900 // i5-540M 2.5GHz Dual-Core HT // Intel HD iGPU + Quadro NVS 3100M 512MB dGPU // 2x4GB DDR3L 1066 // Mushkin Triactor 480GB SSD // Windows 10

WIFE'S: Dell Latitude E5450 // 14" 1366x768 // i5-5300U 2.3GHz Dual-Core HT // Intel HD5500 // 2x4GB RAM DDR3L 1600 // 500GB 7200 HDD // Linux Mint 19.3 Cinnamon

EXPERIMENTAL: Pinebook // 11.6" 1080p // Manjaro KDE (ARM)

NAS:

Spoiler

Home NAS: Pentium G4400 @3.3 // Gigabyte GA-Z170-HD3 // 2x 4GB DDR4 2400 // Intel HD Graphics // Kingston A400 120GB SSD // 3x Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200 HDDs in RAID-Z // Cooler Master Silent Pro M 1000w PSU // Antec Performance Plus 1080AMG // FreeNAS OS

4 minutes ago, MEC-777 said:

What the average casual user believes they need is very different from what they actually need. So much money could be saved by installing an SSD in an older, yet still very capable PC instead of buying yet another new pre-built with another slow-ass HDD. Sadly most people don't realize it's the HDD that's slowing the machine way down. 

Helped my dad pick out a new laptop recently (his old one was legitimately crap) and the first thing I did was remove the 1TB slow-ass 5400rpm HDD and swap it out with a 256GB SSD (he only needs a fraction of that for storage even) and it blew his mind how much faster the machine is with the SSD. Boots into windows in less than 10 seconds.  

In terms of minimum specs for casual users, it kind of depends on how much multi-tasking they do and how heavily they use a browser. Some people only have 1 or 2 tabs open and only do one thing at a time on their PC. Other people, although still considered casual users, could have dozens of tabs, multiple word, spreadsheets, pdf's etc. open at the same time, which can benefit from more cores and more ram. 

I specifically chose a laptop with at least an i5 and 8GB ram for my dad, even though he is a light user - because he keeps things for a long time and I wanted this PC to last him as long as possible. I would imagine a celeron or pentium will probably struggle with basic use in 5-8 years time, where as an i5 (like the first gen i5's) will still hold up decently in that time span. 

So again, it really depends on the user and how long they plan on keeping it.   

yeah, 8gb of ram is pretty nice. too bad this old machine only has 2 dimm slots, so it supports 4gb max. 

She/Her

59 minutes ago, firelighter487 said:

when i was fixing up my old gaming rig the other day, i started thinking,

because everything i tried to do on that machine was still fast and smooth, what are the minimum specs for casual use?

For decent performance?

• Multicore CPU
  • Fast hard drive, or preferably a cheap eMMC/UFS/SATA/nVME SSD
  • GPU with h.264 and preferably VP8 decoding for video if you don't want to kill your CPU. Note doesn't need to be a discrete graphics card, can be integrated as long as it has video decoding.
  • 4GBs of ram for casual use. 8GBs of ram if you wanna be super smooth on sites with huge amounts of infinitely scrolling images like Tumblr. 64GB of ram if you use chrome (JK. Or am I?)
  • Mouse, keyboard, and Display support. Unless you use switches or some other accessibility device. Then those.
  • A power supply capable of supplying the devices with adequate power and fans for adequate cooling.

Depends on your definition of "casual" usage.

Casual usage for me means open 10-15 chrome tabs on 1 screen while watching 1080p videos on 1 screen. And I don't want to wait for the PC to process every time I open chrome with 10 tabs pre-loaded, or any other programs for that matter.

Casual gaming for me means overwatch at 144hz, and I'm also playing Prey.

I don't think that PC can even open 15 chrome tabs with youtube videos and stuff playing at the same time... and still run smoothly. Chrome alone will eat 4GB of RAM.

And that CPU and GPU can't play anything later than 2012 with high settings past 60 fps at 1080p

CPU: Ryzen 2 2700@ 4.0Ghz    Mobo: Gigabyte X470 Gaming 7 Wifi    Cooler: EVGA CLC 240    GPU: GTX1080 FTW DT @ 2113Mhz   PSU: EVGA 750W P2   

Case: Fractal Design Meshify C   Displays: 34" LG34UC79G, 24" Dell

4 minutes ago, MilfShake said:

Casual usage for me means open 10-15 chrome tabs on 1 screen while watching 1080p videos on 1 screen. And I don't want to wait for the PC to process every time I open chrome with 10 tabs pre-loaded, or any other programs for that matter.

I don't think that PC can even open 15 chrome tabs with youtube videos and stuff playing at the same time... and still run smoothly. Chrome alone will eat 4GB of RAM.

And that CPU and GPU can't play anything later than 2012 with high settings past 60 fps

casual usage to me is writing emails, browsing the web (with 2-4 tabs open), old games maybe... asual gaming to me is need for speed, and older stuff. 

She/Her

13 minutes ago, Sniperfox47 said:

For decent performance?

• Multicore CPU
  • Fast hard drive, or preferably a cheap eMMC/UFS/SATA/nVME SSD
  • GPU with h.264 and preferably VP8 decoding for video if you don't want to kill your CPU. Note doesn't need to be a discrete graphics card, can be integrated as long as it has video decoding.
  • 4GBs of ram for casual use. 8GBs of ram if you wanna be super smooth on sites with huge amounts of infinitely scrolling images like Tumblr. 64GB of ram if you use chrome (JK. Or am I?)
  • Mouse, keyboard, and Display support. Unless you use switches or some other accessibility device. Then those.
  • A power supply capable of supplying the devices with adequate power and fans for adequate cooling.

chrome is really ram hungry. with 4 tabs open, i run out of ram on this machine... it will have about 400-600mb left. on ms Edge, right now, with the forum open and a youtube video, i have 2.2 gb used. 

She/Her

2 minutes ago, firelighter487 said:

chrome is really ram hungry. with 4 tabs open, i run out of ram on this machine... it will have about 400-600mb left. on ms Edge, right now, with the forum open and a youtube video, i have 2.2 gb used. 

Do you have a lot of extensions/apps or something? I get the whole "chrome eats all your ram" joke as much as anyone but it shouldn't be nearly that bad even with 64 bit chrome.

3 minutes ago, Sniperfox47 said:

Do you have a lot of extensions/apps or something? I get the whole "chrome eats all your ram" joke as much as anyone but it shouldn't be nearly that bad even with 64 bit chrome.

only adblock. but in general chrome uses about 400-500 mb more than Edge in my experience. you don't really notice it if you have 8gb of ram or even 6gb, but on 4gb you do notice it. 

She/Her

19 minutes ago, MilfShake said:

And that CPU and GPU can't play anything later than 2012 with high settings past 60 fps at 1080p

Casual for me (and I use many Core 2 Duos every day, mind you) is many Chrome windows, each with 5-6 tabs open, maybe more, and a 720p YouTube video playing on one of them. Running 4 monitors. Folding @ Home with the CPU pinned at full usage while doing everything else. Spotify open, VMware open and running Windows 7 and AutoCAD, Firefox open, one or more RDP sessions going, and more, and my little Core 2 Duo E8400 with 8GB of RAM and a mechanical HDD still has more to offer. 

Casual for me is Chrome (w/ 9 tabs), maybe word, media go (for my Sony Walkman). I might play some of The Witcher 2.

1 hour ago, Jamiec1130 said:

Casual for me (and I use many Core 2 Duos every day, mind you) is many Chrome windows, each with 5-6 tabs open, maybe more, and a 720p YouTube video playing on one of them. Running 4 monitors. Folding @ Home with the CPU pinned at full usage while doing everything else. Spotify open, VMware open and running Windows 7 and AutoCAD, Firefox open, one or more RDP sessions going, and more, and my little Core 2 Duo E8400 with 8GB of RAM and a mechanical HDD still has more to offer. 

Send that CPU to NASA because it is from the outer space

CPU: Ryzen 2 2700@ 4.0Ghz    Mobo: Gigabyte X470 Gaming 7 Wifi    Cooler: EVGA CLC 240    GPU: GTX1080 FTW DT @ 2113Mhz   PSU: EVGA 750W P2   

Case: Fractal Design Meshify C   Displays: 34" LG34UC79G, 24" Dell

2 hours ago, MilfShake said:

Send that CPU to NASA because it is from the outer space

It is not just one; all of my E8400's are like that as well as my E8500, and whatever chip is in my laptop.

To answer the question about i5s:

Because windows is fricking stupid and will use up half your CPU otherwise.

Current LTT F@H Rank: 90    Score: 2,503,680,659    Stats

Yes, I have 9 monitors.

My main PC (Hybrid Windows 10/Arch Linux):

OS: Arch Linux w/ XFCE DE (VFIO-Patched Kernel) as host OS, windows 10 as guest

CPU: Ryzen 9 3900X w/PBO on (6c 12t for host, 6c 12t for guest)

Cooler: Noctua NH-D15

Mobo: Asus X470-F Gaming

RAM: 32GB G-Skill Ripjaws V @ 3200MHz (12GB for host, 20GB for guest)

GPU: Guest: EVGA RTX 3070 FTW3 ULTRA Host: 2x Radeon HD 8470

PSU: EVGA G2 650W

SSDs: Guest: Samsung 850 evo 120 GB, Samsung 860 evo 1TB Host: Samsung 970 evo 500GB NVME

HDD: Guest: WD Caviar Blue 1 TB

Case: Fractal Design Define R5 Black w/ Tempered Glass Side Panel Upgrade

Other: White LED strip to illuminate the interior. Extra fractal intake fan for positive pressure.

unRAID server (Plex, Windows 10 VM, NAS, Duplicati, game servers):

CPU: Ryzen R7 2700x @ Stock

Cooler: Noctua NH-U9S

Mobo: Asus Prime X470-Pro

RAM: 16GB G-Skill Ripjaws V + 16GB Hyperx Fury Black @ stock

GPU: EVGA GTX 1080 FTW2

PSU: EVGA G3 850W

SSD: Samsung 970 evo NVME 250GB, Samsung 860 evo SATA 1TB 

HDDs: 4x HGST Dekstar NAS 4TB @ 7200RPM (3 data, 1 parity)

Case: Sillverstone GD08B

Other: Added 3x Noctua NF-F12 intake, 2x Noctua NF-A8 exhaust, Inatek 5 port USB 3.0 expansion card with usb 3.0 front panel header

Details: 12GB ram, GTX 1080, USB card passed through to windows 10 VM. VM's OS drive is the SATA SSD. Rest of resources are for Plex, Duplicati, Spaghettidetective, Nextcloud, and game servers.

I will always get the best thing I can afford. Only need a 1060, but have enough spare cash for a 1080? Then I'm getting that one.

Laptop: Asus GA502DU

RAM: 16GB DDR4 | CPU: Ryzen 3750H | GPU: GTX 1660ti

I use an Atom tablet for non demanding tasks. It's probably because I'm not a casual user that I can make the most use of such low powered hardware. I would not recommend it for a casual user. 

My eyes see the past…

My camera lens sees the present…

Can you even playback 4k videos on that machine? Without dropping frames.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

My laptop is an okay-ish an i5 2430m 8gb ram. The HDD makes it slow. I don't even like using my laptop anymore. 5400 rpm laptop drives are sooo annoying. They shouldn't even exist.  -.-

Takes at least 3 minutes to load up. And another 5 minutes to actually settle so I can use the darn thing. 

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X | CPU Cooler: Stock AMD Cooler | Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX B550-F GAMING (WI-FI) | RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 CL16 | GPU: Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB Zotac Mini | Case: K280 Case | PSU: Cooler Master B600 Power supply | SSD: 1TB  | HDDs: 1x 250GB & 1x 1TB WD Blue | Monitors: 24" Acer S240HLBID + 24" Samsung  | OS: Win 10 Pro

Audio: Behringer Q802USB Xenyx 8 Input Mixer |  U-PHORIA UMC204HD | Behringer XM8500 Dynamic Cardioid Vocal Microphone | Sound Blaster Audigy Fx PCI-E card.

Home Lab:  Lenovo ThinkCenter M82 ESXi 6.7 | Lenovo M93 Tiny Exchange 2019 | TP-LINK TL-SG1024D 24-Port Gigabit | Cisco ASA 5506 firewall  | Cisco Catalyst 3750 Gigabit Switch | Cisco 2960C-LL | HP MicroServer G8 NAS | Custom built SCCM Server.

4 minutes ago, Abdul201588 said:

My laptop is an okay-ish an i5 2430m 8gb ram. The HDD makes it slow. I don't even like using my laptop anymore. 5400 rpm laptop drives are sooo annoying. They shouldn't even exist.  -.-

Takes at least 3 minutes to load up. And another 5 minutes to actually settle so I can use the darn thing. 

While the eMMC in my $100 tablet/netbook/thing isn't exactly speedy, it happily stomps all over hard drives any day as far as random read/writes. 

My eyes see the past…

My camera lens sees the present…