rant about specs for casual use...

hello, just a bit of a rant about something.

excuse some grammar mistakes, english is not my native language. 

when i was fixing up my old gaming rig the other day, i started thinking,

because everything i tried to do on that machine was still fast and smooth, what are the minimum specs for casual use?

my old gaming pc specs:

core 2 duo e8400

4gb ddr2

60gb ssd as boot drive

1.8 tb of total hdd storage

radeon hd 6670 gpu

windows 10

everything i did on that thing; watching youtube and netflix, playing a few old games, need for speed most wanted 2012 and the like, installing stuff, web browsing etc. ran smooth..

so i was just wondering, for casual users, people who mostly just browse the web and type up documents, why do they still buy new machines with i5's or something in them?

if i can browse youtube, type up documents etc on a machine from 2008, why are people paying $500 for machines that are way overkill for that stuff.

She/Her

You would know if you had a better machine lol.

But really, you can do everything on a machine like yours aswell. Some things might just be slow.

Gaming HTPC:

R5 5600X - Cryorig C7 - Asus ROG B350-i - EVGA RTX2060KO - 16gb G.Skill Ripjaws V 3333mhz - Corsair SF450 - 500gb 960 EVO - LianLi TU100B

Desktop PC:
R9 3900X - Peerless Assassin 120 SE - Asus Prime X570 Pro - Powercolor 7900XT - 32gb LPX 3200mhz - Corsair SF750 Platinum - 1TB WD SN850X - CoolerMaster NR200 White - Gigabyte M27Q-SA - Corsair K70 Rapidfire - Logitech MX518 Legendary - HyperXCloud Alpha wireless

Boss-NAS [Build Log]:
R5 2400G - Noctua NH-D14 - Asus Prime X370-Pro - 16gb G.Skill Aegis 3000mhz - Seasonic Focus Platinum 550W - Fractal Design R5 - 
250gb 970 Evo (OS) - 2x500gb 860 Evo (Raid0) - 6x4TB WD Red (RaidZ2)

Synology-NAS:
DS920+
2x4TB Ironwolf - 1x18TB Seagate Exos X20

Audio Gear:

Hifiman HE-400i - Kennerton Magister - Beyerdynamic DT880 250Ohm - AKG K7XX - Fostex TH-X00 - O2 Amp/DAC Combo - 
Klipsch RP280F - Klipsch RP160M - Klipsch RP440C - Yamaha RX-V479

Reviews and Stuff:

GTX 780 DCU2 // 8600GTS // Hifiman HE-400i // Kennerton Magister
Folding all the Proteins! // Boincerino

Useful Links:
Do you need an AMP/DAC? // Recommended Audio Gear // PSU Tier List 

Dude...Because they can

Try using the PSU Tier List! 

How to reset the bios/clear the cmos

My current rig:

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700x

Ram: 1x16gb DDR4, 2x8gb DDR4

Storage: 1tb nvme ssd

GPU: gtx 3080

Monitor: 23.8" Dell S2417DG 144hz g-sync 1440p + 27" Acer S271HL 60 Hz 1080p

Keyboard: ducky one I | I SF

Mouse: gpro wireless | glorious model o2 wireless

Sound : beyerdynamic 1990 pro | Monoprice liquid spark (amp) + topping d10 (dac)

1 minute ago, firelighter487 said:

so i was just wondering, for casual users, people who mostly just browse the web and type up documents, why do they still buy new machines with i5's or something in them?

-speed

- power efficiency  

- reliability 

1 minute ago, firelighter487 said:

hello, just a bit of a rant about something.

excuse some grammar mistakes, english is not my native language. 

when i was fixing up my old gaming rig the other day, i started thinking,

because everything i tried to do on that machine was still fast and smooth, what are the minimum specs for casual use?

my old gaming pc specs:

core 2 duo e8400

4gb ddr2

60gb ssd as boot drive

1.8 tb of total hdd storage

radeon hd 6670 gpu

windows 10

everything i did on that thing; watching youtube and netflix, playing a few old games, need for speed most wanted 2012 and the like, installing stuff, web browsing etc. ran smooth..

if i can browse youtube, type up documents etc on a machine from 2008, why are people paying $500 for machines that are way overkill for that stuff.

Prebuilt computers have HDDs, they will feel slow regardless of processor, so people will always feel their current computer is slow or laggy and will want to buy a new one thinking that a newer and better processor will help, when all they need is an SSD.

Just now, FloRolf said:

You would know if you had a better machine lol.

But really, you can do everything on a machine like yours aswell. Some things might just be slow.

i own a laptop with a quad core apu and 8gb of ram, so i have a better machine... this old thing feels just as quick most of the time

She/Her

My PC (see signature for specs) is still decent for all uses except gaming (it can kinda game), including even photo editing. It does use more power than all these modern machines, so in the end an upgrade for casual use can be worth it.

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

1 minute ago, Glenwing said:

Prebuilt computers have HDDs, they will feel slow regardless of processor, so people will always feel their current computer is slow or laggy and will want to buy a new one thinking that a newer and better processor will help, when all they need is an SSD.

yeah i can see that. when i put the 60gb ssd in this, it really helped. when it still had a hdd it felt quite slow as well. 

She/Her

Dat SSD is the main reason 

AMD Ryzen R7 1700 (3.8ghz) w/ NH-D14, EVGA RTX 2080 XC (stock), 4*4GB DDR4 3000MT/s RAM, Gigabyte AB350-Gaming-3 MB, CX750M PSU, 1.5TB SDD + 7TB HDD, Phanteks enthoo pro case

1 minute ago, Le Sulfur said:

because under 500 dollars most machines don't come with an ssd

Just now, Coaxialgamer said:

Dat SSD is the main reason 

really? just the ssd? but all of my games are stored on the harddrives, and they run smooth, and the last time i used a hdd system, it was only slow when opening stuff. web browsing itself was fine...

She/Her

Even with a mechanical HDD, Core 2 Duos are still very powerful machines. I've done Hackintoshing with them, all three of my servers use them, and they're under load 24/7, and more. I have a lot of Core 2 stuff. 

Just now, firelighter487 said:

really? just the ssd? but all of my games are stored on the harddrives, and they run smooth, and the last time i used a hdd system, it was only slow when opening stuff. web browsing itself was fine...

SSDs make a ton of difference though. They will make EVERYTHING faster. With an SSD in both machines, my old ass Core 2 Duo Toshiba overheating edition laptop is just as fast (if not faster sometimes) as my Sandy Bridge Core i3 laptop. 

Main System: Phobos

AMD Ryzen 7 2700 (8C/16T), ASRock B450 Steel Legend, 16GB G.SKILL Aegis DDR4 3000MHz, AMD Radeon RX 570 4GB (XFX), 960GB Crucial M500, 2TB Seagate BarraCuda, Windows 10 Pro for Workstations/macOS Catalina

Secondary System: York

Intel Core i7-2600 (4C/8T), ASUS P8Z68-V/GEN3, 16GB GEIL Enhance Corsa DDR3 1600MHz, Zotac GeForce GTX 550 Ti 1GB, 240GB ADATA Ultimate SU650, Windows 10 Pro for Workstations

Older File Server: Yet to be named

Intel Pentium 4 HT (1C/2T), Intel D865GBF, 3GB DDR 400MHz, ATI Radeon HD 4650 1GB (HIS), 80GB WD Caviar, 320GB Hitachi Deskstar, Windows XP Pro SP3, Windows Server 2003 R2

Just now, Jamiec1130 said:

Even with a mechanical HDD, Core 2 Duos are still very powerful machines. I've done Hackintoshing with them, all three of my servers use them, and they're under load 24/7, and more. I have a lot of Core 2 stuff. 

SSDs make a ton of difference though. They will make EVERYTHING faster. With an SSD in both machines, my old ass Core 2 Duo Toshiba overheating edition laptop is just as fast (if not faster sometimes) as my Sandy Bridge Core i3 laptop. 

yeah, i ran geekbench on this machine and my quad core amd apu laptop, and it scored about 200 points lower. core 2 duo's have aged well...

She/Her

kaby lake gives a better netflix experience. but i dont see the need to have it just for netflix

Favorite Threads: PSU Tier List

My Stuff n' Things

Spoiler

The Beast (My Rig)   |CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X|  |Cooling: Enermax Liquimax III, 6x 120mm Noctua Redux|  |Motherboard:  MSI MPG B550 Gaming Plus|  |RAM: 4x32gb 3200 G.Skill TridentZ NEO|  |Graphics Card: EVGA(RIP) GeForce RTX 3070TI FTW3|  |Power Supply: Corsair CX-M 750W|  |Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow Mid Tower Case(Black)|  |SSD: 1Tb WD BLACK NVMe, 500gb NVMe, 1Tb Samsung 850 EVO|  |Monitor: MSI Optix MPG341QR 34" Ultrawide|  |Keyboard: Logitech G815|  |Mouse: Logitech G203 LIGHTSYNC|  |Audio Interface: FiiO K7 DAC/Amp|  |Headphones: Sennheiser HD6XX |Webcam: Logitech C920, Logitech C270|

My Network Rack  |Switch: Cisco Dell PowerConnect 5548P|  |Router: Unifi USG|  |Rack: 12U|  |Server: HP Z420|  |Services: Proxmox PVE, Wireguard, Pihole, NVR, NAS|

4 minutes ago, Jamiec1130 said:

and that was most of the reason for my rant. why buy a new machine? my old gaming rig is worth about €100 where i live without the ssd. put a €40 ssd into it and there you go.

She/Her

5 minutes ago, firelighter487 said:

.Snip.. stuff about casual.. snip

It is all about experience. I have a faster PC than most of my clients. My wife's Spectre is faster than most of my clients PCs. And my clients are pretty much casual as fuck. Even my old FX setup is faster. So for me, casual use is about responsiveness. Not waiting 2 minutes to boot to OS. Or constantly waiting for the browser to respond.

Why? Because I'm spoiled. I don't want to wait. If I'm on a device that takes forever to do anything (and forever means not instantly), then I'm not happy with it. I want to spend my casual time watching cat videos, or tech shows with questionable thumbnails.

I don'twant to wait for the OS to load. Then wait for the browser to open. Now it hangs because I didn't let my OS load all the way before opening anything... Now my browser opens and there is lag when I type...

It's either a fluid experience or it's not. My wife is the same way. She doesn't game. She doesn't need a monster of a GPU. But she uses her computer for notes. When she presses the power button, the Damned thing better be ready to go. She watches YouTube. And bet your ass, if it's lagging or has issues responding while multitasking, she's upset.

But my version of casual generally isn't the budget HP on the shelf.

I used to be ok with my old HP Compaq running Vista.... I had one come into my shop the other day. I think to myself, "wtf? How is this acceptable?"

But it's based on experience. I have had constant experience with reactionary speeds on higher end computers. I will not tolerate anything less for casual. If it's slower than my smartphone, we've got a problem.

14 minutes ago, Le Sulfur said:

Less than 500, you don't get hyperthreading. Lower end chipset. Base model.

Just now, Ryujin2003 said:

Yes but people who are looking to buy a pc for casual use don't understand(or care about) that stuff, but explaining the benefits of an SSD to someone is really easy.

I fall exactly into this category. I picked up a refurbished HP Elitebook 8770w last month and it's perfect for what I need it for. I'm mostly using it for general browsing, school work, and light gaming (Witcher 2, Oblivion, etc).

7 minutes ago, firelighter487 said:

and that was most of the reason for my rant. why buy a new machine? my old gaming rig is worth about €100 where i live without the ssd. put a €40 ssd into it and there you go.

It's a slippery slope. My I had an i3 system, upgraded to AMD Phenom custom build (my first build), then to FX 6350 with HDD. Eventually upgraded to SSD. Then SSD RAID 0, now Ryzen with M.2 NVMe. Information access definitely improves the whole feel of a PC. I cannot go back to booting from SSD or even HDD without pulling my hair out.

2 minutes ago, Le Sulfur said:

Yes but people who are looking to buy a pc for casual use don't understand(or care about) that stuff, but explaining the benefits of an SSD to someone is really easy.

They don't seem to mind, but I'll generally get many clients back in a couple weeks. It's slow, they want me to check for viruses or bad hardware.... I told you to upgrade from the i3 model to the i5, but you didn't want to listen. Upgrade to SSD or replace the machine.

You can put NOS in a Pinto station wagon, but it's still a Pinto.

22 minutes ago, firelighter487 said:

SSD is the main reason. Finally installed an 850 EVO (don't have an M.2 slot, 960 Pro was $50 only more :() instead of my 1TB 7200 rpm HDD in my laptop with i7 4700 HQ and you can't even compare them. Before that even a i3 with SSD would feel faster due to background tasks. 

Once you go SSD you don't go back. 

The ability to google properly is a skill of its own. 

16 minutes ago, firelighter487 said:

Other than my SSD (which I use for a lot of my computes, not just one), my Core 2 Duo rigs and all their parts were free. 

Main System: Phobos

AMD Ryzen 7 2700 (8C/16T), ASRock B450 Steel Legend, 16GB G.SKILL Aegis DDR4 3000MHz, AMD Radeon RX 570 4GB (XFX), 960GB Crucial M500, 2TB Seagate BarraCuda, Windows 10 Pro for Workstations/macOS Catalina

Secondary System: York

Intel Core i7-2600 (4C/8T), ASUS P8Z68-V/GEN3, 16GB GEIL Enhance Corsa DDR3 1600MHz, Zotac GeForce GTX 550 Ti 1GB, 240GB ADATA Ultimate SU650, Windows 10 Pro for Workstations

Older File Server: Yet to be named

Intel Pentium 4 HT (1C/2T), Intel D865GBF, 3GB DDR 400MHz, ATI Radeon HD 4650 1GB (HIS), 80GB WD Caviar, 320GB Hitachi Deskstar, Windows XP Pro SP3, Windows Server 2003 R2

3 minutes ago, Bouzoo said:

SSD is the main reason. Finally installed an 850 EVO (don't have an M.2 slot, 960 Pro was $50 only more :() instead of my 1TB 7200 rpm HDD in my laptop with i7 4700 HQ and you can't even compare them. Before that even a i3 with SSD would feel faster due to background tasks. 

Once you go SSD you don't go back. 

that's true. i can't use an hdd system comfortably either. 

She/Her

29 minutes ago, Le Sulfur said:

14 minutes ago, Ryujin2003 said:

I can only speak for myself, but I've never met a truly casual user who has even heard of an SSD, let alone one that wants to pay extra for one. That's doubly true with regards to Hyperthreading or chipset features.

34 minutes ago, firelighter487 said:

If you're tech savvy enough to recognize that, you're probably not a casual user.

I'm not sure the premise of this question is sound. Casual users are fleeing towards laptops and iPads in droves, and desktop office PCs still seem to me to be dominated by Celerons and Pentiums. Is it even a fact that 'casuals' are buying a lot of $500+ PCs? That part seems to have been glossed over a bit.