California

AniJan
3 hours ago, vetali said:

Everything there causes cancer.

good luck. 

Sacramento is known as a great place to leave. Seriously, Sacramento is pretty terrible, but everything relevant in California isn't more than a few hours away, whether it's San Francisco, or Lake Tahoe. 

For (non-muscle) car enthusiasts, highway 17 is a fun place. 

My eyes see the past…

My camera lens sees the present…

come to oregon. we have rain and hipsters

How do Reavers clean their spears?

|Specs in profile|

The Wheel of Time turns, and Ages come and pass, leaving memories that become legend. Legend fades to myth, and even myth is long forgotten when the Age that gave it birth comes again.

4 hours ago, linkboy said:

I highly recommend going to see Yosemite National Park. It's one of my favorite places that I've been to.

Yosemite Valley.jpg

It's such a great place to go in August and September for hiking off Tioga Pass Road once all the snowmelt has dried up and mosquitos have mostly died off. If you look at that mountain in the background and to the right of El Capitan, that mountain is probably the best dayhike I have ever done. If you haven't been on it, it's called Clouds Rest and can be hiked as about a 14 mile roundtrip from the Sunrise trailhead off Tioga Pass Road. It's so cool when you're walking that ridge that's only a few feet wide with a 5000 foot dropoff into Tenaya Canyon below you.

4 hours ago, AniJan said:

Specific details, please?

What do you do for a living?

Are you okay with high taxes? 

Are you okay with never owning where you live?

Do you mind paying a lot more for everything you need to live?

People don't like California, because there are 'too many' people and the cost of living is very high. 60k/year is a lot of money, but you'll feel poor in many places across California with that income. Generally, land and housing is ridiculously expensive. I know in most of Texas 300k will equal a beautiful 3,000ft2 house no worries... this will not be true in 99% of California.

On the other hand, the weather is really nice and I am sure the people are nice too. The land is beautiful and so are most of the people. Generally, if you are a spontaneous person, then you will really enjoy it. You know yourself and your situation better than anyone here. So don't listen to anyone. If I had to recommend moving somewhere I would not recommend California, especially if you are young. But what do I know.

The way I think of it is I would rather avoid high income taxes and stupid high property taxes in places where my dollar is worth less. I would rather live where I keep more of my money and spend less to live, so live better off less money... AND  go on vacations often. Everything boils down to money. I would never choose to pay a lot to live near a vacation area all year vs. living somewhere cheap and going on great vacations every year. But that is just me.

High standard of living = expensive food, water, gas and high taxes.

If you have money, then you will have a high standard of living no matter where you live.

CPU — AMD Ryzen 7800X3D

GPU — AMD RX 7900 XTX - XFX Speedster Merc 310 Black Edition - 24GB GDDR6

Monitor — Acer Predator XB271HU - 2560x1440 165Hz IPS 4ms

CPU Cooler — Noctua NH-D15

Motherboard — Gigabyte B650 GAMING X AX V2

Memory — 32GB G.Skill Flare X5 - 6000mHz CL32

Storage — WD Black - 2TB HDD

— Seagate SkyHawk - 2TB HDD

— Samsung 850 EVO - 250GB SSD

— WD Blue - 500GB M.2 SSD

— Samsung 990 PRO w/HS - 4TB M.2 SSD

Case — Fractal Design Define R6 TG

PSU — EVGA SuperNOVA G3 - 850W 80+ Gold 

Case Fans — 2(120mm) Noctua NF-F12 PWM - exhaust

— 3(140mm) Noctua NF-A14 PWM - intake

Keyboard — Max Keyboard TKL Blackbird - Cherry MX blue switches - Red Backlighting 

Mouse — Logitech G PRO X

Headphones — Sennheiser HD600

Extras — Glorious PC Gaming Race - Mouse Wrist Rest  

— Glorious PC Gaming Race - XXL Extended Mouse Pad - 36" x 18"

— Max Keyboard Flacon-20 keypad - Cherry MX blue switches

6 hours ago, AniJan said:

I'm going to East Sacramento.

You're within weekend trip driving distance of three of the most amazing places in the world to experience the outdoors: Yosemite NP, Kings Canyon NP, and Sequoia NP. Even if you're not a huge outdoors person, the drive through the Giant Forest in Sequoia NP is a must. But seriously, buy a good tent and some hiking gear and make as many trips as you can out to stay at the Tuolumne Meadows campground off Tioga Pass Road in Yosemite in August & September. There are so many unbelievable dayhikes in the area. 

Commiefornia's not too bad. Don't expect to exercise your second amendment right though, they're making it increasingly difficult for you to get carry permits and what not. I went to L.A last year and it was fun, but everything is super expensive, and the grass is yellow because of the drought.

13 hours ago, Zodiark1593 said:

Sacramento is known as a great place to leave. Seriously, Sacramento is pretty terrible, but everything relevant in California isn't more than a few hours away, whether it's San Francisco, or Lake Tahoe. 

Given the rest of California, Sacramento is relatively okay. It's a lot better than South California, that's for damn sure. But as always, you're in the Soviet Republic of California regardless.

13 hours ago, Zodiark1593 said:

This :) I've only worked in Santa Cruz for a month, and loved that road, having fun on the twisty bits.

Can't really comment on living there longer term, although I did half think about it when an Apple recruiter approached me...

Main system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, Corsair Vengeance Pro 3200 3x 16GB 2R, RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible