$1,000 Budget PC Build Guide

5/10 not enough RGB. Git gud LTT

b31c4ced285e73f40c884d009c5a7da6.png

"There is a fine line between not listening, and not caring. I'd like to think I walk that line every day of my life."

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

CPU: Ryzen 5 2600X w/stock cooler, Motherboard: MSI X370 GAMING PLUS, RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 24gb DDR4-2600, GPU: EVGA RTX 2070 SUPER XC, Case: NZXT S340, PSU: Corsair RMx 750w, Keyboard: Corsair K50, Mouse: Corsair Ironclaw

Laptop:

Spoiler

Lenovo IdeaPad S540

3 minutes ago, J400 said:

how about this build?https://pcpartpicker.com/list/F6TWd6

double productivity and gaming performance for $30 more

Get that shitty PSU outta my face.

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/mGsYBP

"There is a fine line between not listening, and not caring. I'd like to think I walk that line every day of my life."

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

CPU: Ryzen 5 2600X w/stock cooler, Motherboard: MSI X370 GAMING PLUS, RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 24gb DDR4-2600, GPU: EVGA RTX 2070 SUPER XC, Case: NZXT S340, PSU: Corsair RMx 750w, Keyboard: Corsair K50, Mouse: Corsair Ironclaw

Laptop:

Spoiler

Lenovo IdeaPad S540

So many AMD butthurt fanboys.

1 minute ago, Darth Revan said:

So many AMD butthurt fanboys.

Not really. A 1400 is a better choice than a 7500. It yields similar averages with better minimums in gaming and much better performance in anything that can use more than 4 threads.

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

paul's april build is pretty good 

it's a little over $1000 though and one probably won't squeeze every fps from that 1070 with a 1600 

1 minute ago, Technicolors said:

paul's april build is pretty good 

it's a little over $1000 though and one probably won't squeeze every fps from that 1070 with a 1600 

yeah he mentioned it in the youtube comments

...really?

Yes it's a sponsored build, but that's imo not a reason to do a build that doesn't make sense.

At least use the cooler in a scenario it's actually meant for... I really doubt be quiet had a locked i5 in mind when they designed the cooler.

Also most of the video is a how to guide to mount a cpu cooler which is useless for most people anyway because mounting a cpu cooler is like the only thing even the pro guys need a guide for. And who mounts the cpu cooler before the ram? Really, who does that?

Apart from that, RGB led's, black fans, wtf?

Again, it's a sponsored video, i get that, but it really looks like a pile of parts thrown together and it just doesn't make much sense. Honestly build guides used to be very detailed and long but this just clearly isn't. And they were also sponsored so the video being sponsored is no good reason to do a bad job.

If you want my attention, quote meh! D: or just stick an @samcool55 in your post :3

Spying on everyone to fight against terrorism is like shooting a mosquito with a cannon

3 minutes ago, Awesumneo said:

What about using a gtx 1060 instead? 

It performs about the same as an RX580. 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

heres a much more "value optimized" build 

r5 1600 and 1070 and an extra tb of storage 

Spoiler

PCPartPicker part list: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/KvKZd6
Price breakdown by merchant: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/KvKZd6/by_merchant/

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 1600 3.2GHz 6-Core Processor  ($217.55 @ OutletPC) 
Motherboard: MSI B350M GAMING PRO Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard  ($78.88 @ OutletPC) 
Memory: Kingston FURY 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2400 Memory  ($82.98 @ PCM) 
Storage: Kingston HyperX Fury 240GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($80.99 @ Amazon) 
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($69.89 @ OutletPC) 
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 1070 8GB SC GAMING ACX 3.0 Black Edition Video Card  ($369.99 @ Newegg) 
Case: NZXT S340 (Black/Red) ATX Mid Tower Case  ($59.89 @ Newegg Marketplace) 
Power Supply: SeaSonic 520W 80+ Bronze Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply  ($34.90 @ Newegg) 
Total: $995.07
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2017-05-03 16:40 EDT-0400

I must say the PC you chose was rubbish, i mean i get it, you were sponsored by be quiet! but when a person that is new to PC building sees this build guide and most likely trusts you (Because you are after all a well trusted source), is in my opinion a bit wrong. When they could easily build a better PC for the same amount of money +/-.

PCPartPicker part list: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/yBNGM8
Price breakdown by merchant: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/yBNGM8/by_merchant/

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 1600 3.2GHz 6-Core Processor  ($217.55 @ OutletPC)
Motherboard: MSI B350 TOMAHAWK ATX AM4 Motherboard  ($94.99 @ Amazon)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3000 Memory  ($119.88 @ OutletPC)
Storage: Crucial MX300 275GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($94.66 @ OutletPC)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($47.45 @ OutletPC)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 1070 8GB SC GAMING ACX 3.0 Black Edition Video Card  ($369.99 @ Newegg)
Case: NZXT S340 (Black/Red) ATX Mid Tower Case  ($59.89 @ Newegg Marketplace)
Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA G2 550W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply  ($73.98 @ Newegg)
Total: $1078.39

(PC was but together by a youtube user named  Alan Zhang i just put it here for people to see)

Plx no haterino.

Another wow day in paradise

* anti-static thingies don't do shit if they don't touch the skin. You put them over your socks in the video

* in a 1000$ budget build, there's really no point in going with a third party cooler, save those money for a better video card.  You're buying a 75$ cooler for a 200$ cpu? (yeah, i get that it's sponsored by beQuiet but honestly, they have no other cheaper fans?)

* again on the fan issue.. the 7500 is 200$, the cooler is 75$ ... the ryzen 5 1600 with included cooler is 230$

Does anyone know or have a link to the led strip he installed?  i tried looking on amazon for a match but no luck.

I want to know where the heck he got an rgb strip for three dollars.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

i5-12600k, 3090 Gaming X Trio

We'll settle this the old navy way: First guy to die, LOSES!

*Linus shreeks* At the same time text at the bottom states "Sponsored By Be Quiet", I see what you did there Linus.

This build was stupid, and you all know it.

I don't think you are incompetent enough to build a 1,000 dollar PC with a bloody i5-7500, surely.

So.. are Be Quiet like a proxy sponsor? Intel encourage them to sponsor this shit, they get some money in return?

Hey, not that i'm trying to defend the build or anything but everyone posting their 1000$ builds should maybe convert them to canadian dollars. It looks to me that since Linus is in canada that maybe this is a 1000$ CAD build. Currency used might be something Linus should point out in the video or description as well.

3 minutes ago, TheTyrant said:

Hey, not that i'm trying to defend the build or anything but everyone posting their 1000$ builds should maybe convert them to canadian dollars. It looks to me that since Linus is in canada that maybe this is a 1000$ CAD build. Currency used might be something Linus should point out in the video or description as well.

I mean the Newegg/Amazon links are from the US, so you can safely bet that Linus means 1000 USD and not CAD.

Another wow day in paradise

You know, I never did catch if the $1000 was supposed to be Canadian or US dollars. LTT being out of British Columbia (aka Canadian) but having a rather large US audience, it would be a good idea to specify which way you go. Especially since the Canadian dollar (at the time of writing this) is about US $0.73, so if it's C$1000 you're looking at US$730, and if it's US$1000 you're looking at about C$1370. That being said..

I can almost get to $1000 Canadian (I'm at 1054 so far) with be quiet! case, power supply, and CPU cooler on a respectable system but there's no storage drive. Roughly, an i5 with 16 GB RAM, 240 GB M.2 SSD, and a 470 with 4GB RAM puts me at C$1054.36 (see http://ca.pcpartpicker.com/list/yrpb6X for the current list). I guess if I drop down to 8 GB of RAM I can put a storage drive in, but if you made $1000 in one year, that's just over $80 in a month, which will get you a decent-sized hard drive for storage. (And the M.2 is less than $2 more than the least expensive 2.5" SSD.)

And for those that asked: Yes, it *is* a sponsored build, not even a "proxy sponsor" (I have no clue what that might mean). So he's using as much be quiet! as he can in the build rather than going for other competing products. Please remember to take that restriction into account when looking at your builds!

I think this video is an indicator that says that there needs to be more RGB products that will allow for a $1000 build. 

With all respect, this is probably one of the worse 1000$ build there is xD

I'm disappointed at LTT for not making this a serious ryzen 1600 based build, I mean me and every one else here on the forum are educating the newbies on daily basis to avoid the i5 since it is outdated and already bottlenecking higher end GPUs due to its very limiting 4 threads only, showing extensively how people should go for either the i7 7700 locked or ryzen 5 1600 on the same price range and then Linus himself goes and advise people further into mistake... a bit disappointing.

Although I'm kinda glad you guys quit telling people to overclock the i5 at least... I suppose baby steps into getting your advising better.

Personal Desktop":

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K @5ghz |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock Pro 4 |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z490UD ATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: RX 6900XT Sapphire Nitro+ |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk Ultra 3D 1TB |~| Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini |~| Display: Toshiba UL7A 4K/60hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.

Luna, the temporary Desktop:

CPU: AMD R9 7950XT  |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock 4 Pro |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus Master |~| RAM: 32G Kingston HyperX |~| GPU: AMD Radeon RX 7900XTX (Reference) |~| PSU: Corsair HX1000 80+ Platinum |~| Windows Boot Drive: 2x 512GB (1TB total) Plextor SATA SSD (RAID0 volume) |~| Linux Boot Drive: 500GB Kingston A2000 |~| Storage: 4TB WD Black HDD |~| Case: Cooler Master Silencio S600 |~| Display 1 (leftmost): Eizo (unknown model) 1920x1080 IPS @ 60Hz|~| Display 2 (center): BenQ ZOWIE XL2540 1920x1080 TN @ 240Hz |~| Display 3 (rightmost): Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 3840x2160 IPS @ 60Hz 10-bit |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro (games / art) + Linux (distro: NixOS; programming and daily driver)

I'm wondering if Be Quiet didn't influence the Intel vs AMD route.