$1,000 Budget PC Build Guide

6 hours ago, geo3 said:

An OCed 7600k is a better choice for purely a gaming machine. 

No its not. See below.

5 hours ago, djdwosk97 said:

Until you look at minimums or more than a year out.

And this is the reason why its not better. i5s even the 7600k OC'd are already gasping for air at 95-100% utilisation in todays games. Tomorrows games will make them suffer even more.

7 hours ago, NumLock21 said:
  • Official ram speed for skylake is 2133
  • Official ram speed for kabylake is 2400
  • Skylake chipset runs at 2133, except for z170, it can run at 2133 and higher
  • Kabylake chipset runs at 2400, except for z270, it can run at 2400 or higher.
  • Skylake cpu on skylake chipset runs at 2133. On kabylake chipset it's also limited to 2133. Only the z170 and z270, will let it run at speeds above 2133
  • Kabylale cpu on skylake chipset is limited to 2133. On its own kabylake chipset it runs at 2400. Only z170 and z270, can run it at 2400 and higher
  • XMP is supported on all chipsets.
  • Only z170 and z270 will run the ram at the advertised specs and timings.
  • All other chipsets will set the correct ram timings, but limited the ram speed to the maximum allowed by that chipset and cpu

This is true, but there are some outliers. ASrock has made their H170 Hyper Series support up to 2800mhz on specific DIMMS using an external clock gen, and some system agent bus black magic. http://www.asrock.com/mb/Intel/Fatal1ty H170 PerformanceHyper/?cat=Memory

In order you go beyond 2133mhz, you do need a dGPU (hence the aforementioned SA subdomain magic) so there is that caveat. That being said, the vast majority of boards don't have this feature, so it's best to pretend it doesn't exist. Besides, we all know Intel will eventually put their blue feet down on that "feature" anyways.

My (incomplete) memory overclocking guide: 

Does memory speed impact gaming performance? Click here to find out!

On 1/2/2017 at 9:32 PM, MageTank said:

Sometimes, we all need a little inspiration.

26 minutes ago, MageTank said:

This is true, but there are some outliers. ASrock has made their H170 Hyper Series support up to 2800mhz on specific DIMMS using an external clock gen, and some system agent bus black magic. http://www.asrock.com/mb/Intel/Fatal1ty H170 PerformanceHyper/?cat=Memory

In order you go beyond 2133mhz, you do need a dGPU (hence the aforementioned SA subdomain magic) so there is that caveat. That being said, the vast majority of boards don't have this feature, so it's best to pretend it doesn't exist. Besides, we all know Intel will eventually put their blue feet down on that "feature" anyways.

The asus h270 strix "has" it too. Turns out they posted the wrong specs.

Specs on US site

https://www.asus.com/us/Motherboards/ROG-STRIX-H270F-GAMING/specifications/

Specs on International site

https://www.asus.com/Motherboards/ROG-STRIX-H270F-GAMING/specifications/

Did a build with this board and the specs on the US site is wrong. Ram cannot go beyond 2400MHz on a Kabylake CPU.

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list

54 minutes ago, NumLock21 said:

The asus h270 strix "has" it too. Turns out they posted the wrong specs.

Specs on US site

https://www.asus.com/us/Motherboards/ROG-STRIX-H270F-GAMING/specifications/

Specs on International site

https://www.asus.com/Motherboards/ROG-STRIX-H270F-GAMING/specifications/

Did a build with this board and the specs on the US site is wrong. Ram cannot go beyond 2400MHz on a Kabylake CPU.

I've tested the Hyper H170 series for a small amount (made a build for a friend). I must say, for an H series board, it thoroughly impressed me in the memory department. Full access to all timings (primary, secondary, tertiary) and even gave access to RTL/IO-L offsets. Raw overclocking in terms of frequency was severely neutered due to the memory strap limitations, but a super tight 2800 set will still give a 3200mhz XMP kit a run for it's money.

I'd say for someone on a budget, these boards are great as long as Intel allows them to exist.

Just wish I knew why I was tagged for this thread, as I don't really see what I would be needed for.

My (incomplete) memory overclocking guide: 

Does memory speed impact gaming performance? Click here to find out!

On 1/2/2017 at 9:32 PM, MageTank said:

Sometimes, we all need a little inspiration.

Is anybody taking into consideration that the price of your build is in USD whilst the videos is in CAD?

3 minutes ago, Baked_Potato0934 said:

Is anybody taking into consideration that the price of your build is in USD whilst the videos is in CAD?

usually ltt/lmg uses usd because the amount of US viewers 

1 minute ago, TheNeonWhiteOne said:

usually ltt/lmg uses usd because the amount of US viewers 

Nope all the links are to Canadian retailers using CAD

checked links in video description and on post on this thread and they got to US retailers for me

9 minutes ago, Baked_Potato0934 said:

Nope all the links are to Canadian retailers using CAD

checked links in video description and on post on this thread and they go to US retailers for me

1 hour ago, Baked_Potato0934 said:

1 hour ago, TheNeonWhiteOne said:

checked links in video description and on post on this thread and they go to US retailers for me

It links to your home country. I click the links and get UK prices.

MoBo: GIGABYTE GA-AX370-Gaming 5     CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 1600X       Cooler: Corsair H115i with Noctua NF-A14 Fans     GPU: MSI GeForce GTX970 Gaming 4G

Memory: 2x8GB Corsair LED 3200         Storage: 250GB Samsung 850 EVO and 1TB WD Black Enterprise

PSU: Corsair RM750i           Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ATX TG in Grey

44 minutes ago, jonny13569 said:

It links to your home country. I click the links and get UK prices.

thought so

3 hours ago, Baked_Potato0934 said:

This build is almost $1400 in CAD.

Edit: I forgot the ram in the first screenshot.

Capture.PNG

Hey there, good people of LTT!

New poster here. I'm not incredibly savvy with PC builds so out of curiosity, is this build good enough to run games like The Witcher 3/Fallout 4 on high/ultra settings, and is it suitable for CPU-heavy games like MMO's (World of Warcraft/Final Fantasy 14)?

I'm looking to upgrade the current PC I have given it's somewhat past it's prime now, would this be a decent recommendation? Oh, and lastly, how much would it be in GBP/Pound Sterling?

Many thanks in advance!

26 minutes ago, Noxenvon said:

Hey there, good people of LTT!

New poster here. I'm not incredibly savvy with PC builds so out of curiosity, is this build good enough to run games like The Witcher 3/Fallout 4 on high/ultra settings, and is it suitable for CPU-heavy games like MMO's (World of Warcraft/Final Fantasy 14)?

I'm looking to upgrade the current PC I have given it's somewhat past it's prime now, would this be a decent recommendation? Oh, and lastly, how much would it be in GBP/Pound Sterling?

Many thanks in advance!

This build offers good performance, but it's a terrible value. You should make a new thread here: https://linustechtips.com/main/forum/18-new-builds-and-planning/ and be sure to include:

1. Your location
  2. Your budget (does that include an OS, peripherals, monitor, keyboard, mouse?)
  3. Specific use case (is it just gaming or also streaming/editing/other?)
  4. Your current specs

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

1 minute ago, djdwosk97 said:

This build offers good performance, but it's a terrible value. You should make a new thread here: https://linustechtips.com/main/forum/18-new-builds-and-planning/ and be sure to include:

1. Your location
  2. Your budget (does that include an OS, peripherals, monitor, keyboard, mouse?)
  3. Specific use case (is it just gaming or also streaming/editing/other?)
  4. Your current specs

Nice one! Thanks, I'll write up a post shortly.

You know its bad when Pauls Hardware leaves a comment saying that the locked i5 was stupid. He even told people to see his $1000 build that featured a R5 1600X. I think the reason this vlog sucked is because it was sponsered by bequiet!. You know, the company that sells you an over glorified, black anodized aluminum version of the Hyper 212 evo for 3 times more then its actually worth, ordinary power supplies that are no different then the competition for more money, and expensive cases that try to compete with cases like the MasterCase by CM. Let's take Noctua, an industry leader, even they aren't as greedy with their products that arguably similar, if not better performance.

On another note, IT'S 2017! WHY DO BROWN MOTHERBOARDS EXIST??? Linus could not have picked an uglier motherboard. Perhaps Asus wanted the color to reflect it's true value: poopy brown. BUT HEY, that's nothing that a few RGB strips can't fix. Am I right?

Come on Linus, you can do better.

24 minutes ago, Aw_Ginger_Snapz said:

You know, the company that sells you an over glorified, black anodized aluminum version of the Hyper 212 evo for 3 times more then its actually worth, ordinary power supplies that are no different then the competition for more money, and expensive cases that try to compete with cases like the MasterCase by CM. Let's take Noctua, an industry leader, even they aren't as greedy with their products that arguably similar, if not better performance.

BeQuiet! coolers are actually priced and perform quite well. Their Silent Wings 3 fans are also excellent and are similar in price to other high end fans. 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

13 hours ago, djdwosk97 said:

BeQuiet! coolers are actually priced and perform quite well. Their Silent Wings 3 fans are also excellent and are similar in price to other high end fans. 

But compare their overall value, especially compared to any of Noctuas offerings, make no sense.

2 minutes ago, Aw_Ginger_Snapz said:

But compare their overall value, especially compared to any of Noctuas offerings, make no sense.

The Pure Rock performs similarly to an H7 and better than a Hyper 212 for about the same price. The Dark Rock Pro 3 performs similarly to the NH-D15 while costing a similar amount and not looking like ass. The Dark Rock 3 performs similarly to a NH-D14. I'm not seeing the issue here. 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Spoiler

Spoiler

13 hours ago, djdwosk97 said:

The Pure Rock performs similarly to an H7 and better than a Hyper 212 for about the same price. The Dark Rock Pro 3 performs similarly to the NH-D15 while costing a similar amount and not looking like ass. The Dark Rock 3 performs similarly to a NH-D14. I'm not seeing the issue here. 

Their performance isn't the best, yet they are priced like they are the best. They only feature they really have going for them is that they aren't colored creme with poopy brown accents.

3 minutes ago, Aw_Ginger_Snapz said:

Their performance isn't the best, yet they are priced like they are the best. They only feature they really have going for them is that they aren't colored creme with poopy brown accents.

They perform very similarly to Noctua's NH-D14 an D15 while also being priced similarly and they look really nice. I don't see the problem with them. 

Dark Rock Pro 3 vs. NH-D15: http://www.anandtech.com/show/9415/top-tier-cpu-air-coolers-9way-roundup-review/13

Dark Rock 2 (which is worse than its successor) vs. NH-D14: http://www.anandtech.com/bench/product/914?vs=920

PSU Tier List | CoC

Spoiler

Spoiler

that CPU, a locked i5 for $200?, $19 more and you get 6 core 12 thread unlocked Ryzen 5 1600 with a good stock cooler.

=========

On 5/4/2017 at 3:07 AM, Ryan_Vickers said:

Well it was sponsored by Be Quiet so the cooler and PSU choices were, well, limited I guess ;) 

well, don't called it a "budget build" or "value optimized build" either. problem solved!.

17 hours ago, djdwosk97 said:

They perform very similarly to Noctua's NH-D14 an D15 while also being priced similarly and they look really nice. I don't see the problem with them. 

Dark Rock Pro 3 vs. NH-D15: http://www.anandtech.com/show/9415/top-tier-cpu-air-coolers-9way-roundup-review/13

Dark Rock 2 (which is worse than its successor) vs. NH-D14: http://www.anandtech.com/bench/product/914?vs=920

Indeed be quite! makes perfectly good equipment, it's arguably worse than the Noctua's equivalent, but looks way better, which in this build (with a window) can add value.

Furthermore if his goal was a "whisper quite build for under 1k" than these components make way more sense, especially with the build being done before Ryzen's release.

But none of that is IN the video, no justification given for the parts no context whatsoever.

He even mentioned this backlash in the WAN show and forgot to cover it. Maybe he'll have another honest answers.

Edit: he did actually address it, I skipped it, my bad.

Linus' explanation for why they chose what they chose. (Timestamp is 57:50)

F#$k timezone programming. Use UTC! (See XKCD #1883)

PC Specs:

Ryzen 5900x, MSI 3070Ti, 2 x 1 TiB SSDs, 32 GB 3400 DDR4, Cooler Master NR200P