$1,000 Budget PC Build Guide

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i7-6700 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($292.99 @ SuperBiiz) 
Motherboard: MSI H110M PRO-VD PLUS Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard  ($49.99 @ Amazon) 
Memory: Team Dark 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3000 Memory  ($99.99 @ Newegg) 
Storage: Western Digital Blue 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($82.37 @ NCIX US) 
Storage: Seagate BarraCuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($47.29 @ OutletPC) 
Video Card: Zotac GeForce GTX 1070 8GB Mini Video Card  ($339.99 @ Newegg) 
Case: DIYPC VT380-W ATX Mid Tower Case  ($39.12 @ Newegg) 
Power Supply: SeaSonic S12II 520W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply  ($44.90 @ Amazon) 
Total: $996.64
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2017-05-03 19:39 EDT-0400

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X Heatsink: Gelid Phantom Black GPU: Palit RTX 3060 Ti Dual RAM: Corsair DDR4 2x8GB 3000Mhz mobo: Asus X570-P case: Fractal Design Define C PSU: Superflower Leadex Gold 650W

@herman mcpootis I agree it's a much better build. But it doesn't take into account any be quiet! parts, which is what a lot of people seem to be ignoring - they sponsored the build, after all. A lot of people seem to be taking that direction, which in general makes sense, but in this instance is a lot more difficult. What can you come up with that takes the sponsor into account?

4 minutes ago, Mindstab Thrull said:

@herman mcpootis I agree it's a much better build. But it doesn't take into account any be quiet! parts, which is what a lot of people seem to be ignoring - they sponsored the build, after all. A lot of people seem to be taking that direction, which in general makes sense, but in this instance is a lot more difficult. What can you come up with that takes the sponsor into account?

Check the very first post in this thread, I made two builds using the BeQuiet! cooler, case, and psu.

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

@djdwosk97 Fair, I missed that, but a lot of the responses I saw didn't take the company into account. I think you're the exception here rather than the rule. ^_^

22 minutes ago, Mindstab Thrull said:

that build was just to give a better suggestion to other forumers who might be interested in Linus' build.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X Heatsink: Gelid Phantom Black GPU: Palit RTX 3060 Ti Dual RAM: Corsair DDR4 2x8GB 3000Mhz mobo: Asus X570-P case: Fractal Design Define C PSU: Superflower Leadex Gold 650W

Just now, herman mcpootis said:

that build was just to give a better suggestion to other forumers who might be interested in Linus' build.

Fair enough! I always have fun coming up with random PC builds that I may or may not ever put together. Reminds me of Magic: the Gathering (thus my username) and roleplaying games like Dungeons & Dragons, where the final product looks how you want it to look, rather than a typical puzzle where it has to look a specific way at the end.

5 hours ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

Well it was sponsored by Be Quiet so the cooler and PSU choices were, well, limited I guess ;) 

The whole video could be useful if the title didn't include a price.  Including a price leads people to believe that its a good system for the money. Its not.  If the title was "Computer assembly guide with Be-Quiet components", or something similar, it would be different.  Terrible choices in the video and the misleading title. 

This is one of the worst build for 1000$! A 7500 and RX 480 for 1000$? Seriously?

Linus, can you do a video on video creation workflow for a person running a one-man show on YouTube preferably a 2 system workflow or something like that? In the past you said that your workflow is scaled up so can you show us how to scale it down? Also, can you do a wired networking for dummies video? I think a lot of new people would benefit from learning how to do that on a home basis.Thanks!

P.S. Sorry for the hate you are getting on this video I guess people don't understand sponsors.

9 minutes ago, Drew Learns Tech said:

P.S. Sorry for the hate you are getting on this video I guess people don't understand sponsors.

Even with sponsors its a bad build for $1000. It could have easily just been a build guide and not a "$1000 budget" build guide, but they chose to focus on building a good system for $1000, and they failed to do that. 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

3 hours ago, iamdarkbowser said:

I think this video is an indicator that says that there needs to be more RGB products that will allow for a $1000 build. 

Holy shit, on your avatar Linus looks like sage northcutt.

CPU: Ryzen 5 5600x | MB: Asus TUF Gaming B550-Plus | RAM: Crucial Ballistix RGB 16Gb 3200Mhz | GPU: Gigabyte GTX 1080 Windforce | Cooler: Scythe Fuma 2 | PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA 650 G2 | SSD: Crucial MX300 275Gb | HDD: WD Black 2Tb | Monitor: LG 27GL83A

75 bucks on a cooler for a locked i5? Are you for real? Either buy a Ryzen CPU which has a great stock cooler, or keep that cooler but get an overclocking i5 for 10 USD extra so you can actually use the cooler: http://www.microcenter.com/product/472532/Core_i5-7600K_Kaby_Lake_380_GHz_LGA_1151_Boxed_Processor

edit: I'm so triggered by the fact I really enjoyed the RED Unboxing and though "hey maybe LTT can make truly entertaining content after all" and then they come out with this garbage.

I understand the need for them to have sponsored videos, but this goes beyond regular level sellout. You're actually advertising components which have a shit value in a budget build video and people will probably trust you on it and overpay for stuff they don't need. I'm really disappointed. 

Edited by Terodius
reasons

Corsair 600T | Intel Core i7-4770K @ 4.5GHz | Samsung SSD Evo 970 1TB | MS Windows 10 | Samsung CF791 34" | 16GB 1600 MHz Kingston DDR3 HyperX | ASUS Formula VI | Corsair H110  Corsair AX1200i | ASUS Strix Vega 56 8GB Internet http://beta.speedtest.net/result/4365368180

This is a terrible build. For a locked i5 a 80 dollar huge ass cooler isnt needed. At that point buy Ryzen 5 and get the dope wraith spire cooler and get a better GPU too 

CPU: Ryzen R7 1700 With Corsair H110i GT GPU: GTX 1060 Strix OC MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon 1tb Samsung 850 Evo

5 hours ago, mariushm said:

* anti-static thingies don't do shit if they don't touch the skin. You put them over your socks in the video

* in a 1000$ budget build, there's really no point in going with a third party cooler, save those money for a better video card.  You're buying a 75$ cooler for a 200$ cpu? (yeah, i get that it's sponsored by beQuiet but honestly, they have no other cheaper fans?)

* again on the fan issue.. the 7500 is 200$, the cooler is 75$ ... the ryzen 5 1600 with included cooler is 230$

1. Correct

2. There is a point in going with a third party cooler, just not a 75$ one.

3. The 7500 is 200$ with a cooler as well.

Well my guess is that naming the video "Building a rig with shit Be-quiet gave us and shit we had in the warehouse unused anyway" doesn't quite rolls off the tongue as "100 budget pc build guide"

But being a long term user I can't say this is the first time Linus makes baffling choices like "Let me choose hardware based on the nvidia shield because kids love the shield...right?"

-------

Current Rig

-------

This is really pissing me off because you guys are calling it a "budget build" lmao

There is nothing budget optimized for this build.

Ryzen 5 3600 | EVGA CLC240 | EVGA RTX 2070 Super XC Ultra | ASRock B450 Pro4 | 16gb EVGA SuperSC DDR4-3200 | 1tb WD SN550 | 2tb SanDisk Ultra 3DEVGA P2 650w | Fractal Design Meshify CViewSonic VX2758-2KP-MHD + ViewSonic VS2412-H | GHS.RAR (Boba U4s, Staebies, GMK Aurora Polaris + Artisans) | Steelseries Aerox Ghost | Artisan-Japan Ninja FX Hien (M/Soft) | Fostex HP-A3 | Fostex PM0.3G | Fostex T60RP | Beyerdynamic DT 1990 Pro | Beyerdynamic FOX

8 hours ago, djdwosk97 said:

@nicklmg

Hide contents

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 1400 3.2GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($164.88 @ OutletPC) 
CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock 3 67.8 CFM Fluid Dynamic Bearing CPU Cooler  ($65.49 @ SuperBiiz) 
Motherboard: ASRock A320M Pro4 Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard  ($71.99 @ SuperBiiz) 
Memory: Kingston FURY 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2400 Memory  ($82.98 @ PCM) 
Storage: Kingston SSDNow UV400 120GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($50.99 @ Amazon) 
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($47.45 @ OutletPC) 
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 1070 8GB SC GAMING ACX 3.0 Black Edition Video Card  ($336.35 @ Amazon) 
Case: be quiet! Pure Base 600 w/Window (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case  ($99.90 @ Newegg Marketplace) 
Power Supply: be quiet! Pure Power 10 CM 600W 80+ Silver Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply  ($76.00) 
Total: $996.03
Generated by PCPartPicker 2017-05-03 15:14 EDT-0400

hi bro one thing i might change here since we are on the same topic here

the build guide Linus made is def a weird choice Locked CPU and a beefy cooler made for the i5 7600K and i7 7700K

but you ryzen 5 build is a bit on the skimping side just to try fit a GTX 1070.

the Ryzen 1400 have some OC potential if it was paired with a B350 mobo using the B320 is just as good as putting the i5 7600K on a B250 or B150 or worse the H110 chipset.

the GTX 1070 is best suited for 1440P very High gaming and above

the RX 580 should be plenty even for 1080P Ultrawide and in some cases 1440P High or Medium

here is my take

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 1600 3.2GHz 6-Core Processor  ($217.55 @ OutletPC)
CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock 3 67.8 CFM Fluid Dynamic Bearing CPU Cooler  ($65.49 @ SuperBiiz)
Motherboard: Asus PRIME B350-PLUS ATX AM4 Motherboard  ($98.29 @ OutletPC)
Memory: ADATA 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR4-3200 Memory  ($74.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Western Digital Blue 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($82.37 @ NCIX US)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($47.45 @ OutletPC)
Video Card: PowerColor Radeon RX 580 8GB Red Dragon Video Card  ($228.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Case: be quiet! Pure Base 600 w/Window (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case  ($99.90 @ Newegg Marketplace)
Power Supply: be quiet! Pure Power 10 CM 600W 80+ Silver Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply  ($75.90)
Total: $990.93
Generated by PCPartPicker 2017-05-04 00:06 EDT-0400

Budget? Uses? Currency? Location? Operating System? Peripherals? Monitor? Use PCPartPicker wherever possible. 

Quote whom you're replying to, and set option to follow your topics. Or Else we can't see your reply.

I hope that's not USD, or it includes the price of peripherals and/or the OS. If not and it IS using USD, you could take those same three be quiet! parts and make something better for $1000:

CPU: Intel Core i5-6600K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($193.70 @ Amazon) 
Motherboard: MSI Z170-A PRO ATX LGA1151 Motherboard  ($102.98 @ Newegg) 
Memory: *Kingston FURY 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2400 Memory  ($82.98 @ PCM) 
Storage: Kingston HyperX Fury 240GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($80.99 @ Amazon) 
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($47.45 @ OutletPC) 
Video Card: *MSI GeForce GTX 1060 6GB 6GB GT OCV1 Video Card  ($239.99 @ Amazon) 
Other: be quiet! PURE POWER 10-CM 600W ($75.90)
Other: be quiet! DARK ROCK 3 SilentWings CPU Cooler 190W TDP ($74.90)
Other: be quiet! PURE BASE 600 WINDOW Black/Orange ($99.90)
Total: $998.79
*Lowest price parts chosen from parametric criteria
Generated by PCPartPicker 2017-05-03 23:44 EDT-0400

Yes, this IS Skylake, not Kaby Lake, so you'll need to overclock a more to make up the clock speed difference, but it gave me a bit more headroom for other components. The unlocked i5 and Z170 board will play more to the strengths of the cooler than the locked i5, and the hard drive should give you more room for entry-level content creation if that's what you're after (though getting Ryzen 5 would be better for this). This also isn't very optimized, either, but the CPU and GPU are better than what was featured in the video.

Really disappointing "guide". When I clicked on the video I initially thought it would be a true build guide for enthusiasts on a budget. Old-school Linus, awesome. Instead I find out the video is essentially just a 10 minute advertisement. There are plenty of mistakes in this build, but a $75 cooler on a locked CPU? $100 case? for a $1000 build? Like, are you fucking kidding me?

It's just so weird to me that Linus thought this was a good idea. Either that or he thought he could fool us. Or maybe he doesn't give a fuck anymore and is full on sellout mode. 

I hate the direction LTT is going. If this would have been a legit $1000 build guide, I woulda been ecstatic.

| i5-2500k | ASRock Extreme3 Gen3 | G.Skill 8GB | 2x XFX R9 280X | EVGA 1000W G2 Gold |

4 minutes ago, dragoon20005 said:

I would probably ditch the SSD to get 8gbs of VRAM

4 minutes ago, Kavawuvi said:

I don't see much reason to buy a 6GB 1060 over an 8GB 580, mostly factoring in free-sync savings down the line

I edit my posts a lot, Twitter is @LordStreetguru just don't ask PC questions there mostly...

Spoiler

What is your budget/country for your new PC?

what monitor resolution/refresh rate?

What games or other software do you need to run?

Just now, Streetguru said:

I would probably ditch the SSD to get 8gbs of VRAM

I don't see much reason to buy a 6GB 1060 over an 8GB 580, mostly factoring in free-sync savings down the line

oops didnt see that mistake

edited the build with a 8GB card

Budget? Uses? Currency? Location? Operating System? Peripherals? Monitor? Use PCPartPicker wherever possible. 

Quote whom you're replying to, and set option to follow your topics. Or Else we can't see your reply.

If you look carefully, when they go to mount the heatsink, a spec of dust falls onto the clean, pure surface of the plate. 

My everything hurt so much seeing that happen.

I did actually comment about it on the video

CPU: 7700k @5ghz

GPU: ASUS Strix 1080ti

Mobo: ASUS Z270-AR Prime

Ram: Trident Z RGB 32gb 3200mhz

Boot Drive: Intel 600p m.2 SSD w/ 8tb Toshiba Drive

Cooler: Fractal Design Kelvin S36

Case: Fractal Design Define R6

PSU: Corsair RM850i 80+ Platinum

Monitor: Main Acer Predator X34 supported by ASUS VG248QE

Keyboard/Mouse/Headset: Corsair K70 Lux (MX Brown), M65 Pro RGB, Void RGB 7.1 (USB)

2 minutes ago, Icarus_ said:

If you look carefully, when they go to mount the heatsink, a spec of dust falls onto the clean, pure surface of the plate. 

My everything hurt so much seeing that happen.

I did actually comment about it on the video

that explains why they needed RED cameras

I edit my posts a lot, Twitter is @LordStreetguru just don't ask PC questions there mostly...

Spoiler

What is your budget/country for your new PC?

what monitor resolution/refresh rate?

What games or other software do you need to run?

12 minutes ago, Streetguru said:

I suppose you can swap it if you want to benefit from AMD FreeSync, though I'd personally leave it up to the user to do this. However, my point wasn't to suggest a build guide -I do not suggest anyone actually buy those parts I suggested, as my point was that even with those three be quiet parts, you can get better bang for your buck.

Personally, I'd just swap the PSU, case, and cooler, and use the price difference to get GTX 1070 instead of an RX 580 or GTX 1060 and, if desired, get a Ryzen 5 1600 processor, but... you know.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 1600 3.2GHz 6-Core Processor  ($217.55 @ OutletPC) 
CPU Cooler: CRYORIG H7 49.0 CFM CPU Cooler  ($34.89 @ OutletPC) 
Motherboard: MSI B350 TOMAHAWK ATX AM4 Motherboard  ($94.99 @ Amazon) 
Memory: Kingston HyperX Fury Black 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR4-2133 Memory  ($59.99 @ Amazon) 
Storage: Kingston HyperX Fury 240GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($80.99 @ Amazon) 
Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1070 8GB G1 Gaming Video Card  ($350.69 @ Amazon) 
Case: Corsair SPEC-01 RED ATX Mid Tower Case  ($39.99 @ Newegg) 
Power Supply: EVGA 500W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply  ($36.88 @ OutletPC) 
Total: $963.42
Generated by PCPartPicker 2017-05-04 00:26 EDT-0400