Press F to pay respects: Microsoft to complete Windows Phone wind-down by June

Nowak
9 minutes ago, divito said:

But by all accounts, given their 'Windows 10 for all' strategy, ie. Continuum and all the work they've put into UWP, it's hard to imagine they will simply drop it all.

• Windows 10 Mobile is on a different branch than Windows 10 everything else
  • Redstone 3 for phones will be a simple "feature2" update
  • Microsoft has not actively promoted Windows phones since the year began
  • Microsoft is instead stocking a slightly customized Samsung Galaxy S8 instead of Windows phones in their retail stores in America, and Xiaomi phones in their retail stores in China
  • Microsoft has not updated Windows 10 Mobile to support SoCs newer than the Snapdragon 820, leaving the 821 and 835 (the latter of which a lot of new phones are going to use) completely unsupported.
  • Microsoft has actively been avoiding questions on the future of Windows Phone, leaving it in question
  • No Microsoft executives use Windows phones now
  • Microsoft expects "negligible revenue" from Windows phones in the future
  • Microsoft did not include the platform in their latest earnings report

What's going on couldn't be clearer than day. Microsoft is preparing to exit the phone market, instead focusing their mobile efforts on Android and iOS. As I said before, they're fully within their rights as a for-profit business in the United States to cut off unprofitable ventures. The truth of the matter is, Windows Phone is an unprofitable venture, and its future is very, very dim.

Still don't believe me? Let's look at the original tweets by Microsoft analysts Paul Thurrott and Mary Jo Foley that kicked off this news. Yesterday, Paul Thurrott tweeted out this:

To which fellow analyst Mary Jo Foley replied with this, quoting Microsoft's GM of Investor Relations, Chris Suh.

And you know what a business does when something is unprofitable? It takes it out back and puts it out of its misery.

It's obvious what's happening. Microsoft is preparing to leave the smartphone game, which will include terminating Windows Phone/10 Mobile. There's just no denying it anymore.

32 minutes ago, SansVarnic said:

I am am fairly certain that my 950 xl will last me several more years.

I am also certain that all this is just another "Hey look Windows Is dead!" post just like he rest. 

My L925 still runs like a champ as well. :) 

My 650 is running better than ever. It's come to the point where people want Windows on Phones to die and not Windows on Phones actually dying.

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

15 minutes ago, Daring said:
  • Windows 10 Mobile is on a different branch than Windows 10 everything else
  • Redstone 3 for phones will be a simple "feature2" update
  • Microsoft has not actively promoted Windows phones since the year began
  • Microsoft is instead stocking a slightly customized Samsung Galaxy S8 instead of Windows phones in their retail stores in America, and Xiaomi phones in their retail stores in China
  • Microsoft has not updated Windows 10 Mobile to support SoCs newer than the Snapdragon 820, leaving the 821 and 835 (the latter of which a lot of new phones are going to use) completely unsupported.
  • Microsoft has actively been avoiding questions on the future of Windows Phone, leaving it in question
  • No Microsoft executives use Windows phones now
  • Microsoft expects "negligible revenue" from Windows phones in the future
  • Microsoft did not include the platform in their latest earnings report

What's going on couldn't be clearer than day. Microsoft is preparing to exit the phone market, instead focusing their mobile efforts on Android and iOS. As I said before, they're fully within their rights as a for-profit business in the United States to cut off unprofitable ventures. The truth of the matter is, Windows Phone is an unprofitable venture, and its future is very, very dim.

Not all true.

Microsoft set up a partnership with Qualcomm December last year after the fallout with Intel's chip. It is expected to use the 835 in the next iteration of the phone. Nadella also stated that Microsoft will not be stepping down form the mobile phone market.

Microsoft has done very little advertising over the years, there was some at times but it allways wound down till next iteration and then came back Just like now, and even then everyone was like Windows Phone is dying because well MS is no longer advertising. :| 

Say what you will but there are signs that MS is not stepping down.

Of course they are avoiding questions they have been since Ballmer stepped down.

One of my sources: http://www.trustedreviews.com/news/microsoft-surface-phone-release-date-news-specs-price-rumours

COMMUNITY STANDARDS   |   TECH NEWS POSTING GUIDELINES   |   FORUM STAFF

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

Reputation is a Lifetime to create but seconds to destroy.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

Docendo discimus - "to teach is to learn"

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

Just now, AluminiumTech said:

My 650 is running better than ever. It's come to the point where people want Windows on Phones to die and not Windows on Phones actually dying.

it's at a point whare no one cares. 

@Daring Can you please fucking stop. Every time I read the title of an article you make in reference to Windows I just really want to fucking stop going on the forum and I think very dark thoughts.

It's incredibly cringe inducing. It makes PewDiePie look professional and damn PewDiePie is not professional.

Stop with the fake news. Windows Phone was dead a long time ago. Windows on Arm and Windows on Phones will survive.

Just now, nerdslayer1 said:

it's at a point whare no one cares. 

Do you think this thread shows a lack of care? A lack of care would mean people ignoring threads like this. People have an active hate for Windows on Phones. There is no other logical explanation.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

Just now, AluminiumTech said:

Do you think this thread shows a lack of care? A lack of care would mean people ignoring threads like this. People have an active hate for Windows on Phones. There is no other logical explanation.

I really don't care about blackberry devices or OS but i actively will want to learn about a dying os. 

1 minute ago, SansVarnic said:

Not all true.

sPbpZWd.png

(source: https://blogs.windows.com/windowsexperience/2017/04/14/announcing-windows-10-insider-preview-build-16176-pc-build-15204-mobile/)

3 minutes ago, SansVarnic said:

Microsoft set up a partnership with Qualcomm December last year after the fallout with Intel's chip. It is expected to use the 835 in the next iteration of the phone. Nadella also stated that Microsoft will not be stepping down form the mobile phone market.

Then why does Windows Phone not support anything newer than the Snapdragon 820? 9_9 Also, actions speak louder than words.

3 minutes ago, SansVarnic said:

Microsoft has done very little advertising over the years, there was some at times but it allways wound down till next iteration and then came back Just like now, and even then everyone was like Windows Phone is dying because well MS is no longer advertising. :| 

There are zero signs of Windows Phone recovering. I mean, it's expected to hit 0.1% market share in a few years.

4 minutes ago, SansVarnic said:

Say what you will but there are signs that MS is not stepping down.

Name one. Providing insider builds means nothing, other than the operating system is on life support.

5 minutes ago, SansVarnic said:

Of course they are avoiding questions they have been since Ballmer stepped down.

But they seem more than willing to talk about the future of Windows 10 on everything but phones.

5 minutes ago, SansVarnic said:

Are you really using a clickbait article full of rumors and speculation as a source?

230114_908223010.jpg

1 minute ago, AluminiumTech said:

@Daring Can you please fucking stop. Every time I read the title of an article you make in reference to Windows I just really want to fucking stop going on the forum and I think very dark thoughts.

Are you really getting depressed over negative Microsoft news? :|

You need help, my dude. Just... wow.

Then why does Windows Phone not support anything newer than the Snapdragon 820? 9_9 Also, actions speak louder than words.

Read below. Windows 10 on ARM supports Snapdragon 835.

There are zero signs of Windows Phone recovering. I mean, it's expected to hit 0.1% market share in a few years.

Please. Stop.

Windows Phone as stylized  with a capital W and a capital P is dead.

That's it.

Windows on Phones or Windows on ARM is not dead. If you can't tell the difference then why are you writing this article when you have no business writing about something you know nothing about.

Name one. Providing insider builds means nothing, other than the operating system is on life support.

No. it does not.

Are you really getting depressed over negative Microsoft news? :|

You need help, my dude. Just... wow.

You need help. Jesus Christ. i am depressed over your ignorance and hatred for Windows on Phones. You blatantly post articles which are not true or are vaguely true in order to push your own agenda.

You clearly hate it or project a view of hating it.

1 hour ago, AluminiumTech said:

You need help. Jesus Christ. i am depressed over your ignorance and hatred for Windows on Phones. You blatantly post articles which are not true or are vaguely true in order to push your own agenda.

You clearly hate it or project a view of hating it.

Dude. Chill. I only post news like this because nobody else here seems to be willing to. Trust me, it pains me somewhat to see Windows phone in this sorry state, so sorry it's gotten to the point where it's not included in Microsoft's financial earnings anymore.

I wanted to believe that Windows phone could be a viable third option in the market. When I bought my first smartphone, a HTC Windows Phone 8X, in 2013, I thought I made the right choice. I really did. Now I feel like I kinda dodged a bullet.

I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but... this is the reality of the situation. Sure, Microsoft will be bringing Windows 10 to ARM, via the Snapdragon 835, but don't expect much out of Windows phones on smartphones now. I have no pro-Google, anti-Microsoft agenda. I'm not paid off by Google (otherwise I'd be rich, haha). As I said, I only post this news because nobody else here seems willing to.

17 minutes ago, Daring said:

12 minutes ago, AluminiumTech said:

If you two both don't cut this out I'm terminating both of your accounts.

Just now, Windspeed36 said:

Alright, understood.

Just now, Windspeed36 said:

Understood. I'll take some time off for a little bit.

7 hours ago, RadiatingLight said:

Just no applications were released.

The software market killed Windows Phone, I had a Lumia with it and I really felt it could've been the best OS.

Personal Desktop":

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K @5ghz |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock Pro 4 |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z490UD ATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: RX 6900XT Sapphire Nitro+ |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk Ultra 3D 1TB |~| Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini |~| Display: Toshiba UL7A 4K/60hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.

Luna, the temporary Desktop:

CPU: AMD R9 7950XT  |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock 4 Pro |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus Master |~| RAM: 32G Kingston HyperX |~| GPU: AMD Radeon RX 7900XTX (Reference) |~| PSU: Corsair HX1000 80+ Platinum |~| Windows Boot Drive: 2x 512GB (1TB total) Plextor SATA SSD (RAID0 volume) |~| Linux Boot Drive: 500GB Kingston A2000 |~| Storage: 4TB WD Black HDD |~| Case: Cooler Master Silencio S600 |~| Display 1 (leftmost): Eizo (unknown model) 1920x1080 IPS @ 60Hz|~| Display 2 (center): BenQ ZOWIE XL2540 1920x1080 TN @ 240Hz |~| Display 3 (rightmost): Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 3840x2160 IPS @ 60Hz 10-bit |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro (games / art) + Linux (distro: NixOS; programming and daily driver)

Yea.... I might switch to an Iphone

i5 2400 | ASUS RTX 4090 TUF OC | Seasonic 1200W Prime Gold | WD Green 120gb | WD Blue 1tb | some ram | a random case

6 hours ago, SansVarnic said:

Not all true.

Yeah, that partnership has nothing to do with phones. They want tablets, convertibles and low power laptops to run ARM because Atom is dead. They need a successor to Surface 3, they want to help their OEM partners make cheaper devices and they want to stop Chromebook from taking over the education and entry level market.

The only reason they haven't declared phones dead yet is because there are still devices on the market including devices from partners. They'll piss off their partners if they announce its demise early and removing all confidence from existing and new customers alike. The market is funny like that. Even though it's for all intents and purposes dead, the market wants to pretend it's alive so that stock prices won't drop significantly or so that partners don't lose out completely on their failed investment. Right now I'm positive everyone at Microsoft knows it's dead and are preparing to abandon it but they have to keep up appearances for a while longer. They'll probably continue to issue security updates for remaining users but that's it. They lost the game and Microsoft seems to have accepted that before their stubborn users have.

5 minutes ago, Trixanity said:

Even though it's for all intents and purposes dead, the market wants to pretend it's alive so that stock prices won't drop significantly or so that partners don't lose out completely on their failed investment. Right now I'm positive everyone at Microsoft knows it's dead and are preparing to abandon it but they have to keep up appearances for a while longer.

So, Schrödinger's OS. It's neither dead, nor alive.

3 minutes ago, Daring said:

So, Schrödinger's OS. It's neither dead, nor alive.

Sounds about right. Although you don't even have to open the box to smell a rotting corpse. 

Good, Microsoft needs to completely rethink Windows Phone as its a pile of steaming poo. I have people coming to see me asking why their Facebook Messenger isn't working etc and I have to regret to inform them that Facebook has pulled support for Windows Phone. Also my store no longer sells Windows Phone devices in store, you are only able to order them online now. This happened over the last month. 

System Specs:

CPU: Ryzen 7 5800X

GPU: Radeon RX 7900 XT 

RAM: 32GB 3600MHz

HDD: 1TB Sabrent NVMe -  WD 1TB Black - WD 2TB Green -  WD 4TB Blue

MB: Gigabyte  B550 Gaming X- RGB Disabled

PSU: Corsair RM850x 80 Plus Gold

Case: BeQuiet! Silent Base 801 Black

Cooler: Noctua NH-DH15

9 hours ago, AluminiumTech said:

Read below. Windows 10 on ARM supports Snapdragon 835.

Windows on Phones or Windows on ARM is not dead.

How the fuck is Windows Phone and Windows on Phone any different? I think for clarity I will say that Windows OS that runs on devices branded as Lumia is dead.

No developer is going to support it (heck even MS prefers to update iOS and Android apps first) and hence no one is going to buy it. I knew quite a few people who bought low end to mid-range Windows phone devices 2 years back and regretting it. All those people switched to android and they love it. Also even MS screws over their customer over by not updating most of the devices whenever a new feature update release

Windows OS on phones is dead and Microsoft knows it, no matter how much you deny it. They're shifting their focus more on desktop and Xbox side of things in the OS department at least

And from the looks of unusual silence from Goodbytes, it safe to say even he knows it :P

And by the way, supporting ARM doesn't mean supporting phones but rather IOT devices, which I guess they're trying really hard to penetrate (IMO with a half baked OS)

On 28/04/2017 at 7:23 PM, Daring said:

Y'know, back in September 2010, when Windows Phone 7 hit RTM, Microsoft held a launch party that included a mock funeral for the iPhone and Blackberry, with the theme being "Windows Phone 7 buries the competition!" Pretty hilarious in hindsight. Just another failed experiment in Microsoft's long line of failed experiments.

Ohh the irony, I still remember the early days of windows phone 7 and 8, looked promising but rarely delivered. 

If you want to reply back to me or someone else USE THE QUOTE BUTTON!                                                      
Pascal laptops guide

24 minutes ago, patrick3027 said:

http://www.phonearena.com/news/Microsofts-SEC-filing-confirms-that-Windows-Phone-is-dead_id93583

Glad I won't have to hear Microsoft fanboys talk about it anymore.

Their filing also says this:

These changes in the phone business reinforce our strategy to create a vibrant Windows ecosystem with a single set of experiences across our first-party device family and original equipment manufacturer (“OEM”) offerings. Part of this strategy involves focusing our phone devices on a narrower range of customer categories and differentiating through the combination of hardware and software we are uniquely positioned to offer. As anticipated, our change in phone strategy resulted in a reduction in units sold and associated expenses in fiscal year 2016, and this trend has continued in fiscal year 2017.

The 10q SEC filing is not a guarantee of them having to not make a product.  It just means they are not claiming any financial investment in a hardware phone device. 

Unless someone with better education on interpreting sec filings says otherwise, I wouldn't be too quick to assume absolutes.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

Just gonna point this out.

There is a difference between Windows Phone and Windows Mobile. Windows Phone is the phone (the hardware and previous version of the OS 6,7 & 8) and the New OS (It is seen as Windows as a Service). People will and have said there is no difference between the two but there is. The distinction is there.

Windows Phones is Dead has been dead for a while now. Windows Mobile IS not dead, the OS continues to be developed and grows. The OS will be placed on partner phones instead. MS currently has interest in developing devices themselves unless the this changes with the Surface Brand announcement in May.

Honestly there has been so much hate posting in this thread (and others) on this subject it makes me sorry to have been on this forum for the duration. If you have nothing of intelligent or considerate input to say/add -Please keep it to yourself -  Besides it is against the CS to do so [this not my attempt to backseat mod here just making my opinion known]. 

I know I took a defensive position on this subject but I wanted to because I don't think the platform gets the proper scrutiny it should get. Its a good platform and has pretty good potential.

COMMUNITY STANDARDS   |   TECH NEWS POSTING GUIDELINES   |   FORUM STAFF

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

Reputation is a Lifetime to create but seconds to destroy.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

Docendo discimus - "to teach is to learn"

CHRISTIAN MEMBER