Press F to pay respects: Microsoft to complete Windows Phone wind-down by June

Nowak
9 minutes ago, SansVarnic said:

There is a difference between Windows Phone and Windows Mobile. Windows Phone is the phone (the hardware and previous version of the OS 6,7 & 8) and the New OS (It is seen as Windows as a Service). People will and have said there is no difference between the two but there is. The distinction is there.

Windows Phones is Dead has been dead for a while now. Windows Mobile IS not dead, the OS continues to be developed and grows. The OS will be placed on partner phones instead. MS currently has interest in developing devices themselves unless the this changes with the Surface Brand announcement in May.

If I understand your post correctly (seems like some words are missing), you're saying that Microsoft will no longer release hardware running Windows Mobile. Is that correct?
If you think Microsoft is betting on third parties making phones, and that keeping Windows Mobile alive then I think both you and Microsoft will be sorely disappointed. Nobody except Microsoft seems to care about Windows Mobile, and even they are abandoning this sinking ship.

Let's face it. Windows Mobile (as in, Windows running on phones) is dead. I know you're highly optimistic about this "cellular computing device in the form factor of a phone" that you made a thread about, but I think that's a unicorn device that will never come out, or fail to deliver what the Windows Mobile platform actually needs to become competitive in any market section again.

It's OK to be optimistic, but I think the blind optimism from people is very harmful to both themselves and the platform as a whole. People have been hopeful and pretending like a future update or device will save Windows Phone/Mobile, but it has never come. At this point I see Windows Mobile fans as a religion who are desperately waiting on their Messiah to come and save them.

15 minutes ago, SansVarnic said:

Honestly there has been so much hate posting in this thread (and others) on this subject it makes me sorry to have been on this forum for the duration. If you have nothing of intelligent or considerate input to say/add -Please keep it to yourself -  Besides it is against the CS to do so [this not my attempt to backseat mod here just making my opinion known]. 

It is not against the CS to hate on a company. It is only against the CS to direct hate towards other members.

Saying that Microsoft is a horrible company that deserves to be sued and burned to the ground is OK.

Saying that another member is horrible and deserves to be burnt is not OK.

And no, getting personally offended when someone says something bad about a company does not count.

18 minutes ago, SansVarnic said:

I know I took a defensive position on this subject but I wanted to because I don't think the platform gets the proper scrutiny it should get. Its a good platform and has pretty good potential.

I strongly disagree that it's a good platform, nor do I think it has potential.

It had potential ~7 years ago when Microsoft got into the smartphone game with Windows Phone 7. But all of the major issues that existed back then still exists.

Lack of apps.

Not up-to-date hardware.

Horrible update support. Possibly even worse than Android.

A lot of "friction" in the OS which makes you just not want to use the phone.

Locked down and closed source.

A lot of missing features.

18 minutes ago, LAwLz said:

If you think Microsoft is betting on third parties making phones, and that keeping Windows Mobile alive then I think both you and Microsoft will be sorely disappointed. Nobody except Microsoft seems to care about Windows Mobile, and even they are abandoning this sinking ship.

Then why is there what 3 phone manufacturers with plans to release phones with WM10 on it?

The rest I leave this response, That is cool you think that and I wont argue with you on as I have made my opinion on the subject pretty clear. Though some may place me in that MS religious follower group even though I am by far not ... in some ways I want this to succeed for my own purposes and if doesn't I wont lose sleep on it. It is what it is. -_- 

I will adjust and move on with another platform if I have to for now the Windows Mobile meets my needs and some cases replaces the need for a tablet and laptop which one reason for why I want this to succeed - even if it dives and another company takes it up in a more improved and successful manner. :) 

COMMUNITY STANDARDS   |   TECH NEWS POSTING GUIDELINES   |   FORUM STAFF

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

Reputation is a Lifetime to create but seconds to destroy.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

Docendo discimus - "to teach is to learn"

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

On 28/4/2017 at 8:44 PM, Humbug said:

LOL yes I did get the reference.

Risultati immagini per i understood that reference

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

4 minutes ago, WindirBear said:

<snip>

And so? Make a point don't just post a pic. So Linus doesn't like it big deal. Not something to live off of. I like what Linus does but I don't go off based what he does or says verbatim. He has been know to be incorrect from time to time, but as he says many times - it breaks down tot the user and their preference.

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

8 minutes ago, SansVarnic said:

Then why is there what 3 phone manufacturers with plans to release phones with WM10 on it?

Because they aren't aware that Microsoft is winding down W10m as it exists right now.

Oh no... This is what happens when you arrive late to the game, with average hardware and software that offered no incentive to switch. Maybe if they'd been there at the start, when people were upgrading to smartphones, they could have done it. But they were too late, everyone had their Androids/iPhones by the and WP had absolutely no way to draw people over, other than being 'different'.

Laptop: Asus GA502DU

RAM: 16GB DDR4 | CPU: Ryzen 3750H | GPU: GTX 1660ti

7 minutes ago, Daring said:

Because they aren't aware that Microsoft is winding down W10m as it exists right now.

I think if an internet forum is aware of the rumours then there is a very good chance they are.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

57 minutes ago, Daring said:

49 minutes ago, mr moose said:

I think if an internet forum is aware of the rumours then there is a very good chance they are.

Exactly, They would have to be pretty stupid and business un-savvy to do so if they where not aware. I am pretty sure HP is aware of the situation.

Spoiler

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

Just now, SansVarnic said:

Exactly, They would have to be pretty stupid and business un-savvy to do so if they where not aware. I am pretty sure HP is aware of the situation.

You gonna enjoy this ride while it lasts?

9 minutes ago, Daring said:

You gonna enjoy this ride while it lasts?

It will last as long as it lasts. I will sit through it for as long I feel is necessary. 

Why do you care? I sense as if you feel burned by this whole thing and are making it you goal to burn it for me(or anyone else) as well.

This is not a life line for me, I can move on if I want to I just don't chose to for the time being.

Spoiler

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

7 minutes ago, SansVarnic said:

It will last as long as it lasts. I will sit through it for as long I feel is necessary. 

Why do you care? I sense as if you feel burned by this whole thing and are making it you goal to burn it for me(or anyone else) as well.

This is not a life line for me, I can move on if I want to I just don't chose to for the time being.

All I'm saying is, don't expect a bright future for Windows on phones.

5 minutes ago, Daring said:

All I'm saying is, don't expect a bright future for Windows on phones.

That was plainly obvious. How old do think I am 12? Sorry that was snotty. 

Even though I am just about 36 my understanding of this is much better than you give me credit for.

Edited by SansVarnic

Spoiler

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

1 minute ago, SansVarnic said:

That was plainly obvious. How old do think I am 12? Sorry that was snotty.

Maybe I should get back into programming and start making some bad@$$ apps for Windows?

One day...

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700K

CPU Cooler: be quiet! - PURE ROCK 
Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver - 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste 
Motherboard: ASRock Z370 Extreme4
Memory: G.Skill TridentZ RGB 2x8GB 3200/14
Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive 
Storage: Samsung - 960 EVO 500GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive
Storage: Western Digital - Blue 2TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive
Storage: Western Digital - BLACK SERIES 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: EVGA - 970 SSC ACX (1080 is in RMA)
Case: Fractal Design - Define R5 w/Window (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA P2 750W with CableMod blue/black Pro Series
Optical Drive: LG - WH16NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer 
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit and Linux Mint Serena
Keyboard: Logitech - G910 Orion Spectrum RGB Wired Gaming Keyboard
Mouse: Logitech - G502 Wired Optical Mouse
Headphones: Logitech - G430 7.1 Channel  Headset
Speakers: Logitech - Z506 155W 5.1ch Speakers

4 minutes ago, ARikozuM said:

Maybe I should get back into programming and start making some bad@$$ apps for Windows?

One day...

Considered that myself, I have plenty of ideas just no time to do it. I suppose if I did one and made it for all platforms, made a little money to fund the process I could take more time to focus on that instead of what I do now. ^_^

Spoiler

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

Ahh, Windows Phones... You truly have fallen far from grace. It's really unfortunate that Windows Phones were such a flop, I was genuinely intrigued by the concept of Windows Mobile and I thought it might be pretty cool. Unfortunately, it was just a harebrained scheme from Microsoft to get into the smartphone market which failed hardcore. Which is saddening in a way, seeing as it could have had the potential to bring some cool stuff to the market, along with another choice besides the classic "Android vs iOS" debate.

"There is a fine line between not listening, and not caring. I'd like to think I walk that line every day of my life."

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

CPU: Ryzen 5 2600X w/stock cooler, Motherboard: MSI X370 GAMING PLUS, RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 24gb DDR4-2600, GPU: EVGA RTX 2070 SUPER XC, Case: NZXT S340, PSU: Corsair RMx 750w, Keyboard: Corsair K50, Mouse: Corsair Ironclaw

Laptop:

Spoiler

Lenovo IdeaPad S540

5 minutes ago, N1ghtshade said:

classic "Android vs iOS" debate.

That's the problem. They've taken the majority of the market when it comes to phones that no one else can join. Same reason as to why Windows has the gaming OS market. Developers will go to what is most used. 

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver - 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste 

1 minute ago, Dan Castellaneta said:

I'm really not understanding this circlejerk, to be honest.

Was Windows Phone flawed? Yes, markedly so. But holy shit does it get annoying when that's literally all I hear.

Yes it gets old fast when about every week there is post about Windows Phone being dead, I am pretty certain there has been a new posting almost every or every other week since December. :| 

Spoiler

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

Just now, ARikozuM said:

That's the problem. They've taken the majority of the market when it comes to phones that no one else can join. Same reason as to why Windows has the gaming OS market. Developers will go to what is most used. 

Exactly. No one else can join in, cause they're just gonna get bent over and fucked with a stick. Which really sucks, because lack of competition makes companies complacent and produce a bad product.

"There is a fine line between not listening, and not caring. I'd like to think I walk that line every day of my life."

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

CPU: Ryzen 5 2600X w/stock cooler, Motherboard: MSI X370 GAMING PLUS, RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 24gb DDR4-2600, GPU: EVGA RTX 2070 SUPER XC, Case: NZXT S340, PSU: Corsair RMx 750w, Keyboard: Corsair K50, Mouse: Corsair Ironclaw

Laptop:

Spoiler

Lenovo IdeaPad S540

1 minute ago, N1ghtshade said:

Exactly. No one else can join in, cause they're just gonna get bent over and fucked with a stick. Which really sucks, because lack of competition makes companies complacent and produce a bad product.

Like Apples yearly innovations ... lol. 

Sorry But I have to say this;

• Apple has done very little to change since the first iPhone, there has been a few things but the iPhone was the only "innovation". Everything was proprietary this and that.
  • Android has gone from being it first iteration which was promising and good to being bought by Google imo ruined each version by not being able to decide how to design a proper OS, my biggest complaint is when you list something in settings do it alphabetically at the very least.
  • Windows Phone didn't bring anything in terms of hardware innovations but the fact they came up with the idea of Continuum (could have been and still could if done right) a software innovation is something. 

Spoiler

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

6 minutes ago, SansVarnic said:

Like Apples yearly innovations ... lol. 

Sorry But I have to say this;

• Apple has done very little to change since the first iPhone, there has been a few things but the iPhone was the only "innovation". Everything was proprietary this and that.
  • Android has gone from being it first iteration which was promising and good to being bought by Google imo ruined each version by not being able to decide how to design a proper OS, my biggest complaint is when you list something in settings do it alphabetically at the very least.
  • Windows Phone didn't bring anything in terms of hardware innovations but the fact they came up with the idea of Continuum (could have been and still could if done right) a software innovation is something. 

I think "innovations", is a bit of a stretch :|

And I'm gonna agree with the iPhone part, but disagree on the android part. I think android has made some real progress over the years, and that's what's made it so ubiquitous. Pretty much any phone that isn't an iPhone is running Android, and that's because of how great it is. Now don't get me wrong here, Android has its fair share of bullshit, I'm simply saying that they've been innovating new forms of bullshit for quite a while haha :D

And Continuum was a cool idea, but it was poorly executed. The few times I did use a Windows phone (my friend had a Nokia Lumia 520), Continuum always gave us trouble and was very buggy. But it was a cool idea, props to MS for that.

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

Laptop:

Spoiler

Lenovo IdeaPad S540

8 minutes ago, SansVarnic said:

the fact they came up with the idea of Continuum (could have been and still could if done right) a software innovation is something. 

maxresdefault.jpg

Motorola Lapdock, a computer shell that can turn your Motorola Atrix phone into an Android-based laptop. Dated to 2011.

4 minutes ago, Daring said:

Motorola Lapdock, a computer shell that can turn your Motorola Atrix phone into an Android-based laptop. Dated to 2011.

Blackberry had a similar idea with desktop software in the 2000's. You would essentially USB connect your phone and be able to use the OS from there.

Come to think of it, I wonder if the Priv still has that feature or if Blackberry discontinued it.

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

Just now, ARikozuM said:

Come to think of it, I wonder if the Priv still has that feature or if Blackberry discontinued it.

I don't believe Blackberry's Android phones have that feature... or even their BB10 phones.