Windows 10.0 released in 2015 will no longer be supported

AlTech

If people are still on that build and blocked updates why the hell does this matter?

By blocking updates they are already not being supported by fixes and security patches....like people here that are blocking updates are now bitching about not getting updates.

32 minutes ago, LAwLz said:

I don't see how disabling updates for users will make it more secure.

And no, I don't want to go GNU/Linux. I want Microsoft to fuck off with their "let's punish users if they don't do what we want" attitude. I want them to go back to the times when they just wanted to make the OS as good as possible for consumers. Not as good as they can for Microsoft.

My point was that windows is the most targeted OS there is and it need security updates to keep it secure as it can be, for that it needs to be updated. Yet users want to turn off the everything that will keep them safe. I agree with windows automatically installing updates I do disagree that they get to pick when to restart the machine. linux basically never needs to restart in order to update. As to why windows needs to I have no idea.

¸„»°'´¸„»°'´ Vorticalbox `'°«„¸`'°«„¸
`'°«„¸¸„»°'´¸„»°'´`'°«„¸Scientia Potentia est  ¸„»°'´`'°«„¸`'°«„¸¸„»°'´

7 minutes ago, vorticalbox said:

My point was that windows is the most targeted OS there is and it need security updates to keep it secure as it can be, for that it needs to be updated. Yet users want to turn off the everything that will keep them safe. I agree with windows automatically installing updates I do disagree that they get to pick when to restart the machine. linux basically never needs to restart in order to update. As to why windows needs to I have no idea.

That's actually not hard to explain. Really the only thing that needs restarting the system when updating in Linux is the kernel but that also supports live updating now. Everything other than the kernel is treated as a separate program (including drivers and the DE) which the kernel can easily restart. 

Windows has a different mindset where there is heavy integration with the Windows kernel. Because of that you have to restart the system for updates to be applied (since two applications can't write to the same file at the same time).

[Out-of-date] Want to learn how to make your own custom Windows 10 image?

Desktop: AMD R9 3900X | ASUS ROG Strix X570-F | Radeon RX 5700 XT | EVGA GTX 1080 SC | 32GB Trident Z Neo 3600MHz | 1TB 970 EVO | 256GB 840 EVO | 960GB Corsair Force LE | EVGA G2 850W | Phanteks P400S

Laptop: Intel M-5Y10c | Intel HD Graphics | 8GB RAM | 250GB Micron SSD | Asus UX305FA

Server 01: Intel Xeon D 1541 | ASRock Rack D1541D4I-2L2T | 32GB Hynix ECC DDR4 | 4x8TB Western Digital HDDs | 32TB Raw 16TB Usable

Server 02: Intel i7 7700K | Gigabye Z170N Gaming5 | 16GB Trident Z 3200MHz

1 hour ago, Teddy07 said:

windows 10 updated f***** me today.

My PC demanded suddenly a password after a restart. I had to use my laptop to reset my MS password and enter it. It took me 20 minutes to figure out why the f*** automatic login was disabled. In the end, I unchecked the automatic login box, restarted and checked the box again. It worked but WTF MS fix your s***.

So, you're mad at MS because you don't remember your password?  Auto login doesn't mean you don't have a password anymore.  If you don't even want a password on your system, just revert to a local login and disable the password completely.

I'm just sick of them being unable to accept that people want to control their own damn systems. Things like the lock screen are a good example. All it does is add an extra second before you can enter your password. Not a huge deal, but obviously plenty of people don't like it. Every time a new way is found it disable it, Microsoft patches that out. They're obsessed with not letting people make changes that have no effect on them. 

Make sure to quote or tag me (@JoostinOnline) or I won't see your response!

PSU Tier List  |  The Real Reason Delidding Improves Temperatures"2K" does not mean 2560×1440 

4 minutes ago, Jito463 said:

So, you're mad at MS because you don't remember your password?  Auto login doesn't mean you don't have a password anymore.  If you don't even want a password on your system, just revert to a local login and disable the password completely.

I am mad because windows 10 wants all of a sudden a password without warning. Is it my job as a regular user to study their fucking product because MS is to stupid to make it easy for everyone? I did not know about the local account and disable PW.

9 minutes ago, JoostinOnline said:

I'm just sick of them being unable to accept that people want to control their own damn systems. Things like the lock screen are a good example. All it does is add an extra second before you can enter your password. Not a huge deal, but obviously plenty of people don't like it. Every time a new way is found it disable it, Microsoft patches that out. They're obsessed with not letting people make changes that have no effect on them. 

Very true, the lock screen issue in particular sticks in my craw, even though it doesn't affect me too much since I almost never reboot my computer.  It does make me tempted to purchase an education license, though.  Those - along with the enterprise licenses - don't have to deal with that nonsense.  Why they think Pro users should be forced to, is beyond me.

15 hours ago, DeadEyePsycho said:

Incoming Microsoft hate comments.

Rolling release makes sense personally but that's just me.

i do hate win 10 but rolling release is amazing (especially since im on arch Linux)

yeahyuz

6 minutes ago, Jito463 said:

Very true, the lock screen issue in particular sticks in my craw, even though it doesn't affect me too much since I almost never reboot my computer.  It does make me tempted to purchase an education license, though.  Those - along with the enterprise licenses - don't have to deal with that nonsense.  Why they think Pro users should be forced to, is beyond me.

you could disable the lock screen in edu?

Regarding the dropped update, as long as they dont force me onto the latest update immediately, i'm ok for the time being.

Windows 10 Edu | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | Ryzen 9 3950x | 4x 16GB G.Skill Trident Z RGB| ROG Strix GeForce® RTX 2080 SUPER™ Advanced edition | Samsung 980 PRO 500GB + Samsung 970 Evo Plus 2TB + 8TB Seagate Barracuda | EVGA Supernova 650 G2 | Alienware AW3418DW + LG 34uc87c + Dell u3419w | Asus Zephyrus G14

Just now, Jito463 said:

So far as I understand it, yes.  The Education version is basically treated the same as the Enterprise version.

Time to go digging. Thnx

Windows 10 Edu | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | Ryzen 9 3950x | 4x 16GB G.Skill Trident Z RGB| ROG Strix GeForce® RTX 2080 SUPER™ Advanced edition | Samsung 980 PRO 500GB + Samsung 970 Evo Plus 2TB + 8TB Seagate Barracuda | EVGA Supernova 650 G2 | Alienware AW3418DW + LG 34uc87c + Dell u3419w | Asus Zephyrus G14

3 minutes ago, Scruffy90 said:

Time to go digging. Thnx

It's in group policy.

Desktop: AMD R9 3900X | ASUS ROG Strix X570-F | Radeon RX 5700 XT | EVGA GTX 1080 SC | 32GB Trident Z Neo 3600MHz | 1TB 970 EVO | 256GB 840 EVO | 960GB Corsair Force LE | EVGA G2 850W | Phanteks P400S

Laptop: Intel M-5Y10c | Intel HD Graphics | 8GB RAM | 250GB Micron SSD | Asus UX305FA

Server 01: Intel Xeon D 1541 | ASRock Rack D1541D4I-2L2T | 32GB Hynix ECC DDR4 | 4x8TB Western Digital HDDs | 32TB Raw 16TB Usable

1 hour ago, LAwLz said:

But for Windows 8 to 8.1 and such, you could at least just run the update and be back in the game.

It seems like with this, you will have to do a complete reinstall. It sounds idiotic and I would not be surprised if it turns out you don't, but right now it seems like that's the case.

Oh... well that's not how I interpreted it but if that is what they do that would indeed be quite stupid.

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

57 minutes ago, vorticalbox said:

As to why windows needs to I have no idea.

Because it is poorly designed.

4 minutes ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

Oh... well that's not how I interpreted it but if that is what they do that would indeed be quite stupid.

I talked to one of our Windows consultants and he said he was not sure, but it seemed possible that that's what will happen.

I don't think anyone has it confirmed yet, but Microsoft seems very keen on punishing users who don't do what they want these days, so I think it is a real possibility.

If it's just that you won't get updates but can choose to update whenever you want then who cares about this change? Windows 10 treats updates like an all-or-nothing deal already, so you either have all updates or none of them already.

12 minutes ago, LAwLz said:

Windows 10 treats updates like an all-or-nothing deal already, so you either have all updates or none of them already.

I cant blame them. 

Either they push an update that fixes security holes and ends up breaking something (which fuck people who think everything can be tested) and then people bitch, or, they dont push out the update due to a potential issue and people bitch and complain that its not secure. 

No matter what Microsoft does they are always the bad guys to a lot of people. I dont blame them for the way they are treating updates. Ill take the security.

4 hours ago, DeadEyePsycho said:

Does that mean I should be upset that Windows 10 doesn't run on my P4 machines? 

No, because your p4 never came with windows 10, and besides I think it might even run to be honest - I was referring to software compatibility. You should be upset if your p4 had come with, say, windows xp and 6 months later it stopped being supported because you didn't install superfluous updates.

Yes, you can technically turn off ads - but they shouldn't be there in the first place and average joe wouldn't know how to do it. The enthusiast crowd is not the victim here, it's the average consumer who'll have support cut off without a valid reason.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

3 minutes ago, Sauron said:

No, because your p4 never came with windows 10, and besides I think it might even run to be honest - I was referring to software compatibility. You should be upset if your p4 had come with, say, windows xp and 6 months later it stopped being supported because you didn't install superfluous updates.

Yes, you can technically turn off ads - but they shouldn't be there in the first place and average joe wouldn't know how to do it. The enthusiast crowd is not the victim here, it's the average consumer who'll have support cut off without a valid reason.

This won't affect the average consumer because the average consumer won't know how to disable updates. The only way this affects anyone is if they purposely disabled all updates.

5 minutes ago, DeadEyePsycho said:

This won't affect the average consumer because the average consumer won't know how to disable updates. The only way this affects anyone is if they purposely disabled all updates.

if you set your connection to metered you will only receive security updates. It's a realistic use case for the average user. I don't know if they'll force metered to connections to download the update now, but if they don't then yes, the average consumer will be hit.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

3 hours ago, DeadEyePsycho said:

It's in group policy.

Thnx

At this point anybody who whould be upset by this has switched to Linux and if they haven't then they're too busy complaining about LTT's thumbnails right now but I'm sure they've added this to the list of things to be angry about next week.

-KuJoe

On 15/04/2017 at 8:44 AM, Ithanul said:

I am curious how this going to affect large companies.  Heck, I wonder how the military going to handle it.  Our unit don't update OSes unless they go through a several years verification for stability and harding.

It literally won't affect them at all. They should all be on LTSB (long term servicing branch) which can stay on the same build for 10 years and still get security updates. So the current LTSB build is still on an old build (think the November update, but don't quote me) and won't get a new build until 2020, at which point the current build will enter extended support.

Home users are either on Current Branch (latest build) or if you have Pro you have the option for Current Branch for Business (previous build) but they update at the full cadence (1-2 updates per year) and stay valid for up to 2 releases.

Then there's insiders which have fast branch, slow branch, and release preview branch. These operate at a faster cadence depending on the branch (about weekly for fast and about monthlyish for slow), and are used for testing before the build goes to users.

On 15/04/2017 at 5:54 AM, Enderman said:

Uh, I'm pretty sure you the only way you can still be on such an old update is if you somehow modified your registry to block updates or something, because they are mandatory.

So for all the people who use windows 10 normally and update it when it needs to, this is a non-issue.

or if you dont stay on the internet all day :P

On 4/15/2017 at 3:53 PM, AluminiumTech said:

Many individuals who have donned tin foil hats managed to disable updates and so those individuals might be worried.

If they have disabled updates then this doesn't really effect them since they aren't getting updates anyway :P

On 4/15/2017 at 5:13 PM, Misanthrope said:

So is it "whining" and "hating" to assume this is so aggressive is almost violent to expect big companies to upgrade all of their machines every 2 years or less? 

Listen consumers on Windows 10 are fucked and know what they're in for, don't care about them.

On the enterprise however, rolling out company wide mandatory upgrades is a great way to basically piss off tons of managers and important people telling (with good reason) that their fucking production demands cannot fucking wait for an upgrade. People on large scale IT departments are constantly struggling to find windows of opportunity and such to push updates and I wouldn't be surprised if this greatly disrupted operations for many.

Of course I suspect that Microsoft will not really decline support to a large corporation that tells them "No fuck you, we can't upgrade right now but we need support"

We've never had problems pushing out Windows Updates to our fleet of computers, which is over 6000. With the change in how updates are delivered in fact it's easier than ever before. Get your systems right and the OS/hardware is disposable, almost all our applications are Remote Applications and we use UE-V so there is actually nothing dependent on the end user system at all. We could swap it out while they aren't looking and wouldn't have any idea which is great but not everyone is there yet and those are the companies that will suffer.

Also if you log a premier support case and Microsoft thinks your issue has been addressed in an update their response is update and get back to us or close the support case, isn't any middle ground. Harsh as that might sound it's perfectly acceptable, there is a fix you just haven't applied it.