Windows 10.0 released in 2015 will no longer be supported

AlTech
On 14/04/2017 at 11:53 PM, AluminiumTech said:

Many individuals who have donned tin foil hats managed to disable updates and so those individuals might be worried.

doesnt take a rocket scientist, you can just disable the service lol.

12 minutes ago, Sampsy said:

I'm failing to understand how this is an issue. If you have disabled updates... you won't be getting any support from Microsoft in the form of updates. Nothing has changed for these users.

The issue MIGHT be that Microsoft has built in a kill switch to the entire update process. If you don't update then you can't update without doing a reformat.

That's at least what's being speculated right now, and it sounds possible considering Microsoft's history.

What has changed is that users right now can say "I will update whenever I feel like". With this change Microsoft might be saying "if you don't do what we want, we will force you to reinstall if you take too long".

1 hour ago, Misanthrope said:

@leadeater Your fleet is not that big and your case is entirely anecdotal so not interested. 

Well that's a nice response. Your loss really since that is exactly how the industry is moving apart from remote applications which have been very common for an extremely long time, you know why Citrix even exists in the first place (not that we use them anymore).

Sorry but your personal feelings towards me shouldn't sway your judgement so easily as we are not small, we have a staff FTE of around 6000 and a student EFTS of around 32,000 so no we are not that small but yes there are bigger, there is always someone going to be bigger or doing something different from you. Even if they are smaller lessons can be learned from the smallest network through to the largest.

If you haven't done an in-depth look in to UE-V then you should do so.

42 minutes ago, leadeater said:

Well that's a nice response. Your loss really since that is exactly how the industry is moving apart from remote applications which have been very common for an extremely long time, you know why Citrix even exists in the first place (not that we use them anymore).

Sorry but your personal feelings towards me shouldn't sway your judgement so easily as we are not small, we have a staff FTE of around 6000 and a student EFTS of around 32,000 so no we are not that small but yes there are bigger, there is always someone going to be bigger or doing something different from you. Even if they are smaller lessons can be learned from the smallest network through to the largest.

If you haven't done an in-depth look in to UE-V then you should do so.

What personal feelings? None of that was remotely expressed in my reply. Nice diversion tactic but now I am definitively not interested.

-------

Current Rig

-------

1 minute ago, Misanthrope said:

What personal feelings? None of that was remotely expressed in my reply. Nice diversion tactic but now I am definitively not interested.

You know exactly where the comes from and why, doesn't really matter what you claim otherwise. Doesn't change my advice or your massively incorrect statement. Only fools ignore advice.

The only diversion here is you not addressing any of the actual points in the post ;). Not that I actually expect that you can.

Just now, leadeater said:

You know exactly where the comes from and why, doesn't really matter what you claim otherwise. Doesn't change my advice or your massively incorrect statement. Only fools ignore advice.

The only diversion here is you not addressing any of the actual points in the post ;). Not that I actually expect that you can.

Point was addressed: Anecdotal evidence is subject to many failings like cognitive bias and henceforth not reliable at all or worth discussing.

-------

Current Rig

-------

1 hour ago, Misanthrope said:

@leadeater Your fleet is not that big and your case is entirely anecdotal so not interested. 

Seems like everything with you is "anecdotal" evidence... 

A group of 100 or more is considered statistically appropriate when it comes to deriving data. If @leadeater's group is half of what he says, he still has more than sufficient points of data to pull from.

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700K

CPU Cooler: be quiet! - PURE ROCK 
Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver - 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste 
Motherboard: ASRock Z370 Extreme4
Memory: G.Skill TridentZ RGB 2x8GB 3200/14
Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive 
Storage: Samsung - 960 EVO 500GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive
Storage: Western Digital - Blue 2TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive
Storage: Western Digital - BLACK SERIES 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: EVGA - 970 SSC ACX (1080 is in RMA)
Case: Fractal Design - Define R5 w/Window (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA P2 750W with CableMod blue/black Pro Series
Optical Drive: LG - WH16NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer 
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit and Linux Mint Serena
Keyboard: Logitech - G910 Orion Spectrum RGB Wired Gaming Keyboard
Mouse: Logitech - G502 Wired Optical Mouse
Headphones: Logitech - G430 7.1 Channel  Headset
Speakers: Logitech - Z506 155W 5.1ch Speakers

6 minutes ago, ARikozuM said:

A group of 100 or more is considered statistically appropriate when it comes to deriving data. If @leadeater's group is half of what he says, he still has more than sufficient points of data to pull from.

Well you'd be surprised how often it is used.

I make an off hand comment about how it just doesn't seems like a good idea to impose this kinds of measures on companies who won't take kindly. He says "No I have personally seen one company from a limited perspective and it is not a problem".

My comment was an off hand observation, his reply was also based on off hands observations. Neither of us have properly done surveys with a good sample size (Because a medium sized company, ONE company is not statistically significant at all. Not even his entire curriculum going back 20 to 30 years worth of IT experience would be in this case) so we're just making off hand observations.

So putting it forward as if it had any kind of position of authority or validity over what I say is worthless: Both remarks are basically worthless and are not worth discussing further. I might be wrong, he might be wrong. Saying "I disagree with you Misanthrope" basically accomplishes the same (which is nothing really) but attempting to put it forward as an authority figure it's the same kind of thing Patrick93 used to do and why he exasperated most forum members.

-------

Current Rig

-------

1 minute ago, ARikozuM said:

Well it's not like my current job is my only source either, in fact my last one was as an IT contractor where I did work and consulted for many different businesses which included computer management projects which is the discussion at hand.

Then there is the regular contact we have with other universities across NZ and AUS so we all know what each other is doing and we also work rather closely with Microsoft.

2 minutes ago, Misanthrope said:

snip

Thank you for putting a thoughtful post towards the discussion. 

Most corporations would have an IT department (whether internal or external, perhaps both) and they should be aware of the options afforded to businesses via Microsoft's plans and support. It kind of reminds of a thread we had a while back with users stating that businesses using 10 Home would be at the mercy of glitches/bugs with updates.

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver - 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste 

I don't know what's all the fuss about hating microsoft.

Why aren't updates good?

I bet you guys wouldn't hate nvidia if they would stop supporting older drivers.

Intel i7 12700K | Gigabyte Z690 Gaming X DDR4 | Pure Loop 240mm | G.Skill 3200MHz 32GB CL14 | CM V850 G2 | RTX 3070 Phoenix | Lian Li O11 Air mini

Samsung EVO 960 M.2 250GB | Samsung EVO 860 PRO 512GB | 4x Be Quiet! Silent Wings 140mm fans

WD My Cloud 4TB

6 minutes ago, Misanthrope said:

-snip-

True I get where you are coming from, I can only speak for what I have directly done and seen and the reply wasn't to say you were wrong in your statement but what can be done.

However if you had nothing to discuss why did you reply, you could have talked about many points in the post but no you went with this:

2 hours ago, Misanthrope said:

What did you seriously expect from a post like that, such a rude an ill-mannered comment. The fact you replied doesn't reflect your disinterest as that is best shown but not doing so.

Also IT professionals are very aware of what others are doing and where the industry is going, that is part of our job and why we keep our industry certifications and training up to date. 

2 minutes ago, Simon771 said:

I bet you guys wouldn't hate AMD if they would stop supporting older drivers.

FIFY

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

something something legally supposed to support it for 5 years after release

Please quote me or tag me if your trying to talk to me , I might see it through all my other notifications ^_^

Spoiler
Spoiler
the current list of dead cards is as follows 2 evga gtx 980ti acx 2.0 , 1 evga gtx 980 acx 2.0 1600mhz core 2100mhz ram golden chip card ... failed hardcore , 1 290x that caught fire , 1 hd 7950 .

may you all rest in peaces in the giant pc in the sky

24 minutes ago, ARikozuM said:

Thank you for putting a thoughtful post towards the discussion. 

Most corporations would have an IT department (whether internal or external, perhaps both) and they should be aware of the options afforded to businesses via Microsoft's plans and support. It kind of reminds of a thread we had a while back with users stating that businesses using 10 Home would be at the mercy of glitches/bugs with updates.

No doubt but the OP in this thread is mostly speculative. In fact in my original reply I even said it was unlikely that they'll brush off concerns from major companies, the implication is that for the business customers it's unlikely they'll just completely un-support certain versions at all or compel upgrades. They might reduce support, encourage certain patches and updates but it wouldn't make sense to cut off many large customers.

My comment was more aimed towards saying how if it was true and not just a rumor  or we knew more specifics about what's going to happen and it turned out just flaout forced upgrades or no support (something I seriously doubt myself) then it would be a legitimate concern and do not understand the reason for many forum members to justify the action if it turns out to be true.

-------

Current Rig

-------

13 minutes ago, leadeater said:

True I get where you are coming from, I can only speak for what I have directly done and seen and the reply wasn't to say you were wrong in your statement but what can be done.

However if you had nothing to discuss why did you reply, you could have talked about many points in the post but no you went with this:

What did you seriously expect from a post like that, such a rude an ill-mannered comment. The fact you replied doesn't reflect your disinterest as that is best shown but not doing so.

Also IT professionals are very aware of what others are doing and where the industry is going, that is part of our job and why we keep our industry certifications and training up to date. 

I expected you to either reply, ignore or deem the comment not in accordance to community guidelines. Beyond that I am not really interested. Being "rude" might not be in the spirit of community fostering and cooperation but it's just a disagreement not an attack, not a personal jab, etc. Unless you or someone else deems it that way but then again your replies to me since also adhere to merely the letter but not the spirit of the code of conduct in my opinion.

-------

Current Rig

-------

40 minutes ago, Misanthrope said:

I expected you to either reply, ignore or deem the comment not in accordance to community guidelines. Beyond that I am not really interested. Being "rude" might not be in the spirit of community fostering and cooperation but it's just a disagreement not an attack, not a personal jab, etc. Unless you or someone else deems it that way but then again your replies to me since also adhere to merely the letter but not the spirit of the code of conduct in my opinion.

And what exactly were your motives behind the reply? Sure some my replies were also rude, was considering editing my last reply and stating that myself.

Also some of the comments you made to try and dismiss my points are incorrect, such as calling where I work a medium sized business which is classified as less than 250 employees. We are large enterprise if you go by the generally accepted definition of that which is quite arbitrary, classifying a business isn't really that simple.

If what I say comes off as being authoritative, as you said, that typically isn't my intent and more a consequence of having to write like that when writing technical documentation and submitting change control forms, it's a hard habit to break. I also like to share knowledge so when I see something like the difficulties businesses face that you pointed out I like to give direct examples of how some of those problems can be alleviated, first hand experience is also more helpful than theory.

10 hours ago, LAwLz said:

The issue MIGHT be that Microsoft has built in a kill switch to the entire update process. If you don't update then you can't update without doing a reformat.

That's at least what's being speculated right now, and it sounds possible considering Microsoft's history.

What has changed is that users right now can say "I will update whenever I feel like". With this change Microsoft might be saying "if you don't do what we want, we will force you to reinstall if you take too long".

We know this is what they do. Stop saying you're "Speculating". Microsoft has confirmed they have kill switches on OS Builds. We know that for PC it is 30 days and for Mobile it is 14 days.

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

Holy crap, it's already been almost 2 years since Windows 10 was released? Damn time flies.

Intel® Core™ i7-12700 | GIGABYTE B660 AORUS MASTER DDR4 | Gigabyte Radeon™ RX 6650 XT Gaming OC | 32GB Corsair Vengeance® RGB Pro SL DDR4 | Samsung 990 Pro 1TB | WD Green 1.5TB | Windows 11 Pro | NZXT H510 Flow White
Sony MDR-V250 | GNT-500 | Logitech G610 Orion Brown | Logitech G402 | Samsung C27JG5 | ASUS ProArt PA238QR
iPhone 12 Mini (iOS 17.2.1) | iPhone XR (iOS 17.2.1) | iPad Mini (iOS 9.3.5) | KZ AZ09 Pro x KZ ZSN Pro X | Sennheiser HD450bt
Intel® Core™ i7-1265U | Kioxia KBG50ZNV512G | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Enterprise | HP EliteBook 650 G9
Intel® Core™ i5-8520U | WD Blue M.2 250GB | 1TB Seagate FireCuda | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Home | ASUS Vivobook 15 
Intel® Core™ i7-3520M | GT 630M | 16 GB Corsair Vengeance® DDR3 |
Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | macOS Catalina | Lenovo IdeaPad P580

8 minutes ago, AluminiumTech said:

We know this is what they do. Stop saying you're "Speculating". Microsoft has confirmed they have kill switches on OS Builds. We know that for PC it is 30 days and for Mobile it is 14 days.

That seems needlessly short

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

1 minute ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

That seems needlessly short

for Windows 10 Pro I think the kill switch is set to 90 days but I could be wrong.

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

Just now, AluminiumTech said:

for Windows 10 Pro I think the kill switch is set to 90 days but I could be wrong.

It shouldn't really even exist, but if they're going to, this seems like a more reasonable timespan.

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

12 minutes ago, AluminiumTech said:

Wait... What?

I thought this was only for Insider Program Builds...

The retail kill switch time must be longer than that! Or maybe I'm just insane. :ph34r: