Windows 10.0 released in 2015 will no longer be supported

AlTech
Just now, DrMikeNZ said:

I did not realise at all that we were talking about windows 7 and 8 on Kaby and Ryzen.

They'll follow the same logic.

Person is doing/intends to do something that was stated to not be supported. Be it Win 7/8 on Kaby/Ryzen, or running an old version of an OS that should have been replaced due to 'mandatory' updates.

Microsoft said it initially, no one listened.

Microsoft does it, or is about to do it and news outlets repeat the message.

Everyone argues that person wants to be supported, whilst still not doing that thing that requires being supported. Actual person does not care (or in this case, probably happy).

It's running old software, and expecting updates. Only big difference is that Win7/8 only don't get updates on the most current platforms. Win10 1507 just doesn't get updates anymore, regardless of platform.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

Just now, Drak3 said:

They'll follow the same logic.

Person is doing/intends to do something that was stated to not be supported. Be it Win 7/8 on Kaby/Ryzen, or running an old version of an OS that should have been replaced due to 'mandatory' updates.

Microsoft said it initially, no one listened.

Microsoft does it, or is about to do it and news outlets repeat the message.

Everyone argues that person wants to be supported, whilst still not doing that thing that requires being supported. Actual person does not care (or in this case, probably happy).

It's running old software, and expecting updates. Only big difference is that Win7/8 only don't get updates on the most current platforms. Win10 1507 just doesn't get updates anymore, regardless of platform.

It was getting security updates but your point does stand.

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

I have seen in the wild offices full of outdated software. Good luck explaining to your customers why your software is being quirky on their computers, but then how serious are the changes in windows that your software will no longer work with outdated APIs? My experience with Android is older phones dont always display stuff properly even when you make your code as compliant as possible, and every year Google breaks GPS. I don't think Windows would have these problems.

Lastly someone has to make a linux based joke:

A fix for broken Windows is currently in progress and marked critical https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+bug/1

☼

ψ ︿_____︿_ψ_   

I don't quite understand, if you don't update then you can't get the features anyway so what exactly are they talking about since it seems like scary hand waiving to get people to update who don't want to.

https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/631048-psu-tier-list-updated/ Tier Breakdown (My understanding)--1 Godly, 2 Great, 3 Good, 4 Average, 5 Meh, 6 Bad, 7 Awful

2 minutes ago, AresKrieger said:

I don't quite understand, if you don't update then you can't get the features anyway

Which features?

so what exactly are they talking about since it seems like scary hand waiving to get people to update who don't want to.

They will not provide security updates or bug fix updates for this product. They no longer support this product.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

Just now, AluminiumTech said:

Which features?

They will not provide security updates or bug fix updates for this product. They no longer support this product.

Any form of 1st party support? The quote you gave mentioned features, or are they talking more alone the lines of their support website because if so then xD it was useless anyway.

https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/631048-psu-tier-list-updated/ Tier Breakdown (My understanding)--1 Godly, 2 Great, 3 Good, 4 Average, 5 Meh, 6 Bad, 7 Awful

I don't quite understand, if you don't update then you can't get the features anyway so what exactly are they talking about since it seems like scary hand waiving to get people to update who don't want to.

Its not just new features its also security fixes

☼

ψ ︿_____︿_ψ_   

Just now, SCHISCHKA said:

A security fix is simply an added/tweaked feature, any software tool or behavior can be called a feature unless the developer removes it due to it being unintended.

Just now, AresKrieger said:

Any form of 1st party support? The quote you gave mentioned features, or are they talking more alone the lines of their support website because if so then xD it was useless anyway.

Builds do not receive new features after launch day.

Once a new Windows 10 version is released it does not receive new features after it's debut. Any new features go into the next version. 

The only thing they've been receiving is bug fixes and security fixes for almost the past 2 years.

1 minute ago, SCHISCHKA said:

Again, people only previously got security and bug fix updates. They will not provide further updates of any description to Build 10240.

A security fix is simply an added/tweaked feature, any software tool or behavior can be called a feature unless the developer removes it due to it being unintended.

I call a security fix a band-aid on something that is broken or exploitable. You can call that a feature but I won't.

☼

ψ ︿_____︿_ψ_   

Just now, SCHISCHKA said:

I call a security fix a band-aid on something that is broken or exploitable. You can call that a feature but I won't.

Both of you, calm down.

A feature is not a security fix.

A security fix is part of security updates which are not feature updates.

6 minutes ago, AluminiumTech said:

The only thing they've been receiving is bug fixes and security fixes for almost the past 2 years.

HUH? If they blocked the updater that in turn blocks security fixes, or do people actually not block the updates and remain on old versions.....somehow?

Have tried 4 times to install the creators update. Keeps hanging at 11%. Guess I'm going to get left behind.

1 minute ago, AresKrieger said:

HUH? If they blocked the updater that in turn blocks security fixes, or do people actually not block the updates and remain on old versions.....somehow?

People who block all updates are not supported by Microsoft for anything.

Anybody who did not update to the feature updates have been given security and bug fix updates until now. 

Each feature update gets it's security and bug fixes for a certain period of time. If somebody disabled updates then they do not receive security updates or bug fix updates.

They are leaving themselves vulnerable and can't complain to MS.

Just now, Rune said:

Have tried 4 times to install the creators update. Keeps hanging at 11%. Guess I'm going to get left behind.

Specs and how did you acquire the Creators Update?

1 hour ago, Enderman said:

Uh, I'm pretty sure you the only way you can still be on such an old update is if you somehow modified your registry to block updates or something, because they are mandatory.

So for all the people who use windows 10 normally and update it when it needs to, this is a non-issue.

there are ways to stop updates other than registry edits, I do it because I was having VM guess OSes fucking restarting randomly, it was an absolute pain in the ass, I just installed them onto tiny tiny virtual disks, usually 16 and 18 GB, by time it's in use there is no room for updates. Linux can be installed on an 8GB partition with a little room left over, windows 10 is fucking bloated.

Yours faithfully

Just now, Lord Nicoll said:

there are ways to stop updates other than registry edits, I do it because I was having VM guess OSes fucking restarting randomly, it was an absolute pain in the ass, I just installed them onto tiny tiny virtual disks, usually 16 and 18 GB, by time it's in use there is no room for updates. Linux can be installed on an 8GB partition with a little room left over, windows 10 is fucking bloated.

Windows isn't meant to be used on anything with less than 20-30GB of storage.

2 minutes ago, AluminiumTech said:

Specs and how did you acquire the Creators Update?

X99A Gaming Pro Carbon

6850k@4.7

32GB DDR4 Vengeance @3000

Vertex 4 + Sandisk Extreme Pro x2 in Raid 0

It popped up in the updates panel, asked when to install because it was a large update, then continuously hung at 11% for 12 hours or reboot, at which point it had to restore a 'previous' version of windows.

Just now, Rune said:

X99A Gaming Pro Carbon

6850k@4.7

32GB DDR4 Vengeance @3000

Vertex 4 + Sandisk Extreme Pro Raid0

It popped up in the updates panel, asked when to install because it was a large update, then continuously hung at 11% for 12 hours or reboot, at which point it had to restore a 'previous' version of windows.

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-update/windows-10-updates-stuck-at-11/eb0e76e9-aa25-49d7-bf38-21ed8f7586fc

This appears to have the answer to your problems.

3 minutes ago, AluminiumTech said:

They are leaving themselves vulnerable and can't complain to MS.

Complaining to microsoft never did anything to begin with, their support has always been horrid just like any big company

But I see what I was missing, I didn't realize the feature updates weren't forced though I guess it makes sense since those updates tend to either install incorrectly or break other software.

3 minutes ago, Rune said:

Are you using the Windows Media Creation tool or the Windows Upgrade Assistant?  On your particular machine, you could be possibly having an issue with an in-place upgrade.  Have you tried installing from a USB?

My PC specifications are in my profile.

2 minutes ago, AluminiumTech said:

Windows isn't meant to be used on anything with less than 20-30GB of storage.

obviously, but it was a novel and quick way to stop it fucking up my network. It's annoying how it pops up and asks to update, but if you ignore it it goes and updates anyways then restarts, that isn't professional at all, and it still came preloaded with facebook and twitter, it's clear the pro version isn't really that pro, so I never paid for it even though I have 4 VMs running it, they can fuck off if they expect payment for that shite OS, I'd rather bomb them.

Yours faithfully

Just now, Jito463 said:

Group Policy Editor, a.k.a. GPEdit.

True though I assumed that would end support regardless just like blocking the updater

Just now, Michael McAllister said:

Are you using the Windows Media Creation tool or the Windows Upgrade Assistant?  On your particular machine, you could be possibly having an issue with an in-place upgrade.  Have you tried installing from a USB?

Just from the upgrade assistant download. Have not tried USB yet because of a mixture of not caring quite that much and being quite busy.