Why does RAZER get a bad rep?

DaveKerk

They're products aren't bad, I just feel like they need a bit more quality control. For example I had a had a mouse and a headset from them and they both broke 6 months in. I didn't do much to them I just use them regularly like everyone else.

My main gripe is there aesthetics, Their products look like overly flashy, cheaply made toys marketed for L33T H4x0rz... Besides that their products are expensive as all hell, Perhaps in the US they're priced more competitively but here in South Africa you'd be better off sticking with Corsair, Coolermaster or Logitec, In fact it'd probably be cheaper to buy a Ducky Keyboard + all the import fees and delivery than it would be to buy a Razor Keyboard here.

Current Rig:

CPU: i7 4790 3.60GHz

RAM: 8GB (2 x 4GB) GSkill 2333MHz

Motherboard: ASRock Z97 Extreme4

PSU: Modular Cougar 750w

GPU: Sapphire HD 7790 Goodnight Sweet Prince, You served me well :(

Storage: 250GB Samsung 850 Evo SSD + 10TB's Various Seagate HDD's

Case: Corsair 780T (White)

Mouse: Logitech G600

Keyboard: CM Storm Quickfire Rapid (Cherry MX Browns)

Future Upgrades:

GPU: Asus GeForce GTX 1060 Dual

PSU: Super Flower Leadex II 750W 80 Plus Gold 

Mouse: Mionix Castor

CPU Cooler: Phanteks PH-TC12DX

Screen: Anything cheap that's either 1440p @ 60Hz/1080p @ 144Hz or 21:9 IPS

So far I've had 2 of their products, mousepad (kinda ok) and headset (not ok). I wrote about it here:

I really like the aesthetics of Razer stuff (flameshield up) but its harder for me to want their products after the issues Ive had with their peripherals. Ive had 2 Naga MMOs with bad wheels, a deathadder that had a double clicking issue and the deathstalker I was using for a few months had the LEDs in the keyboard die on a few keys.

That being said I have 0 issues with the Ornata Chroma and Deathadder Chroma I have now but my next keyboard is for sure gonna be a Coolermaster masterkeys RGB and my mouse will probably be a Corsair.

On April 2, 2017 at 0:04 AM, NSDUO said:

They are overpriced imo

Apple?

Specs v-v

Spoiler

Cpu: Ryzen 9 3900x @ 1.1v / Motherboard: Asus Prime X570-P / Ram: 32GB 3000Mhz 16-16-16-36 Team Vulcan (4x8GB) / Storage: 1x 1TB Lite-on EP2, 2x 128GB PM851 SSD, 3x 1TB WD Blues / Gpu: GTX Titan X (Pascal) / Case: Corsair 400c Carbide / Psu: Corsair RMi 750w / OS: Windows 10

Spoiler

I'm lonely, PM me to be my friend!

IMO Razer is like relatively affordable Italian sports car. It looks good, it performs well, the durability is sh*t. While it works well you will have a really great time but shortly after it will cause you some major headaches.

Friend of my had Naga which was used literally few hours a week and the left mouse button started to be non responsive unless you press it really hard after 5 months.

Also, I really dislike their bulls*it with their keyboard switches. They obviously moved to cheap Chinese made switches because Cherry ones are more expensive and they are presenting them as "gaming", "perfectly tuned" etc. but in reality those switches are just sh*t knockoffs.

And for people comparing them with Apple, I will just say this:

Razer: looks YES, performance YES, quality NO, expensive

Apple: looks YES, performance NO, quality YES, expensive

6 hours ago, Niksa said:

And for people comparing them with Apple, I will just say this:

Razer: looks YES, performance YES, quality NO, expensive

Apple: looks YES, performance NO, quality YES, expensive

Razer: looks YES performance Yes quality no, expensive

Apple looks YES performance Yes quality no, expensive

Heres the difference, razer is gaming minded, apple is creator minded so the specs suit the needs. Its not about comparing apples to apples, but more like a apple to a plum, same size just tastes different

A8-7600 {} Gigabyte FM2+ Board {} CX430 {} Corsair Vengeance LP 8gb {} MSI GTX 760 2GB {}

Console.WriteLine("C# is aids");

38 minutes ago, nobiggieBIG said:

Razer: looks YES performance Yes quality no, expensive

Apple looks YES performance Yes quality no, expensive

Can you please argument the bolded statement. Razer products get broken after normal use after short time but I've never heard that Apple products get broken so easily.

2 minutes ago, Niksa said:

Can you please argument the bolded statement. Razer products get broken after normal use after short time but I've never heard that Apple products get broken so easily.

shit i changed the wrong thing, i meant quality yes, and quality yes and performance yes and yes and looks yes and yes. My macbooks however creaks the fuck and the bottom ticks al the fucking time

A8-7600 {} Gigabyte FM2+ Board {} CX430 {} Corsair Vengeance LP 8gb {} MSI GTX 760 2GB {}

Console.WriteLine("C# is aids");

Personally, I don't own any Razer products for one simple reason - cost.

I know people will say that some of their products are not overpriced but as a budget gamer, some of the stuff they make is just not worth it. Take the Deathadder chroma - it costs £60 and does nothing different from a comparable SteelSeries mouse (such as my SteelSeries Rival 100). The Razer mouse just isn't worth it. 

I don't own any mechanical keyboards but I've tried some from both Razer and Corsair and I prefer the Cherry MX key switches used by Corsair. That is just a personal preference, however.

Then there's the Blade lineup. You can't deny they are amazingly good but astronomically expensive. They need to do more to justify the cost or people with more restrictive budgets will just go elsewhere.

|| CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 1600 (@3.9GHz) || Motherboard: ASUS Prime B350 Plus || Cooler: Arctic Freezer 33 eSports Edition || GPU: EVGA GTX 1070 SC || Memory: 16GB G.Skill Trident Z RGB C16 (@2933MHz) || SSD: SanDisk 128GB || HDD: WD Blue 2TB, Toshiba 2TB, Transcend 1TB || PSU: Corsair RM550x || Case: Fractal Design Focus G || Monitor: 2x AOC 23” I2369VM IPS Full HD, Samsung 32" LED TV Monitor || Mouse: Logitech G703 Wireless || Keyboard: Cooler Master MK750 RGB (Cherry MX Brown) || Speakers: Dell Stereo Speakers || Headphones: Sennheiser HD 4.40 BT / Samsung Galaxy Buds ||

bought a razer kraken headset when i was a youngster cause it was for "gamers".

It was horrible left ear went out in less than 2 months and plastic broke by stretching over my dome piece. 

Now i no longer support razer for pumping out crap products for "gamers". 

Nor will i recommend them to any one. 

On 4/2/2017 at 2:38 AM, H0R53 said:

Because they suck. Overpriced pieces of plastic made by asians in a sweatshop. Just like Beats, their quality is mediocre and overhyped by fanbois. Razer puts the DeathAdder at $50, where I can get a mouse that's 40x better for $10. Given they've gotten slightly better in recent years but only marginally so and I refuse to ever buy their products.

This is an a1 shitpost, I hope you're joking lol

qυoтe мe pleaѕe!

Me at the Apple store: "So how fast is this little macbook?"

Apple employee: "Cheetah Fast. Lightning Fast. It's Really, really, fast."

On 4/2/2017 at 1:26 AM, Droidbot said:

Alongside a better shape, the Corsair mice also have better sensors.. Work that shit out

I was actually investigating this recently as I was searching for a mouse, don't the Corsair mice still suffer from poor mouse wheel quality? I had an M60 that had the scroll wheel breaking constantly. I couldn't find any information on the more recent m65 models, though. 

1 hour ago, Chorinovi said:

I was actually investigating this recently as I was searching for a mouse, don't the Corsair mice still suffer from poor mouse wheel quality? I had an M60 that had the scroll wheel breaking constantly. I couldn't find any information on the more recent m65 models, though. 

Get logitec Proteus core...best fucking thing I've bought peripheral wise had two Razer Abyssus's (Abyssusi?!) and one borked and the other is a backup just in case the logitec fuckulates it's self.

Regular human bartender...Jackie Daytona.

13 hours ago, Niksa said:

-snip-

Apple performance yes for Iphones lol.

Groomlake Authority

I don't understand why they might be seen to have a bad reputation as even though they do price things highly for the price of the brand, their products are still very well made for the money you spend. I've had my Mamba TE mouse for ages and it works like new, it's one of my favorite bits of tech I own.

6 hours ago, Matt Elwood said:

I don't understand why they might be seen to have a bad reputation as even though they do price things highly for the price of the brand, their products are still very well made for the money you spend. I've had my Mamba TE mouse for ages and it works like new, it's one of my favorite bits of tech I own.

it's got phillips twin eye, mediocre sensor

Try a mouse with 3366 or 3360 sensors (check my signature for the list) and you'll love it compared to pte

idk

On 4/6/2017 at 1:37 AM, Matt Elwood said:

They got a bad reputation because of the quality of their hardware. I have a Razer blade stealth which is my first and last Razer product. I have had many issues with it and it's just specific to me. The charger stopped working after 6 months because the USB-C connector on it was badly built so they sent me a new one. And this is a wide spread problem with that charger. The fan noise is terrible and this is not during gaming but just browsing. I sent it back for repair. Their excuse was that my laptop was dusty and needed cleaning but they still said they will change the fan. I got it back and the problem is still the same. And again this is a well known problem with this laptop. The biggest problem is is that the fan starts spinning at max when the cpu usage increase but very often the fan does not slow down even if I stop doing anything and close all programs. Right now my cpu temp is around 66C while browsing and it easily reaches 80C. This is surprising when compared with reviews out there. I have also experienced many BSOD since I got the laptop. Before this laptop my last BSOD was several years ago and that came from faulty OCZ Rams that I had just bought. 

I can't comment on other products from Razer but RBS has been very disappointing. You can look up there forum and see that too many people have similar problems.

I would say their prices, I have been a logitech fanboy since I got their first webcam...ever, yeas I am dating myself there. But anyway, I have always found their normal consumer prices fair, gaming price just a smidge high, but overall for what you get I think they are awesome. Razer, I see something I might consider, look at the price, laugh my ass off, and then walk away!

My only experience is a Black Widow Stealth keyboard, and it's been a pleasant journey.

I hate their software, but there's always tradeoffs I suppose.

They get a bad rep because they are more expensive than there competitors like msi and alienware even though razers don't have a graphics card and then msi and alienware do so the msi and alienware are better value

They were actually decent once. Just not any more.

My Razer blade stealth charger just died. It's the second one in a year. Both lasted roughly 6 months. My USB-C hard drives work perfectly fine but the USB-C charger doesn't. The led on the charger is still on. It's the USB-C connector that is dead. The build quality of the connector is really bad. Many people have the same problem with this charger. If only one could replace the USB-C part like on the new macbook pro charger. Now my laptop is out of warranty and I have to buy a new charger. This is exactly way people turn away from Razer.

The quality of Razer gear has gone down significantly, the prices are still higher than competitor offerings and it seems they're mostly oriented towards marketing (and making buttloads of cash) rather than bringing quality (not necessarily innovative) products for affordable prices.

They're like the Apple of peripherals (and, as of a few years ago, pre-built systems).

I'd much rather look at the offerings of Corsair, Steelseries, Microsoft and even A4Tech (and their gaming-brand, Bloody) since those seem to have a more rigorous QC and significantly cheaper prices.

Remember kids, the only difference between screwing around and science is writing it down. - Adam Savage

PHOΞNIX Ryzen 5 1600 @ 3.75GHz | Corsair LPX 16Gb DDR4 @ 2933 | MSI B350 Tomahawk | Sapphire RX 480 Nitro+ 8Gb | Intel 535 120Gb | Western Digital WD5000AAKS x2 | Cooler Master HAF XB Evo | Corsair H80 + Corsair SP120 | Cooler Master 120mm AF | Corsair SP120 | Icy Box IB-172SK-B | OCZ CX500W | Acer GF246 24" + AOC <some model> 21.5" | Steelseries Apex 350 | Steelseries Diablo 3 | Steelseries Syberia RAW Prism | Corsair HS-1 | Akai AM-A1

D.VA coming soon™ xoxo

Sapphire Acer Aspire 1410 Celeron 743 | 3Gb DDR2-667 | 120Gb HDD | Windows 10 Home x32

Vault Tec Celeron 420 | 2Gb DDR2-667 | Storage pending | Open Media Vault

gh0st Asus K50IJ T3100 | 2Gb DDR2-667 | 40Gb HDD | Ubuntu 17.04

Diskord Apple MacBook A1181 Mid-2007 Core2Duo T7400 @2.16GHz | 4Gb DDR2-667 | 120Gb HDD | Windows 10 Pro x32

Firebird//Phoeniix FX-4320 | Gigabyte 990X-Gaming SLI | Asus GTS 450 | 16Gb DDR3-1600 | 2x Intel 535 250Gb | 4x 10Tb Western Digital Red | 600W Segotep custom refurb unit | Windows 10 Pro x64 // offisite backup and dad's PC

Saint Olms Apple iPhone 6 16Gb Gold

Archon Microsoft Lumia 640 LTE

Gulliver Nokia Lumia 1320

Werkfern Nokia Lumia 520

Hydromancer Acer Liquid Z220