Why does RAZER get a bad rep?

DaveKerk

On my personal rig I have a Blackwidow Ultimate 2014 (Clicky Green) and a Taipan. At work I have a DAS Keyboard 4 Ultimate (MX Blue) with a MX Master. When I compare the two setups the DAS is nicer to type on than the Razer, but I prefer to game on the Razer than the DAS. I definitely dont like gaming on the MX Master.  I hear it said they are over priced, but to me, they are on par with every other company that makes peripherals. My razer was way cheaper than my DAS and my taipan was way cheaper than my MX Master (Thanks Woot).

• 2 years later...
On 4/2/2017 at 7:02 AM, DaveKerk said:

Why does RAZER get such a bad reputation? If you dislike them please tell me if it's an actual reason or you're just going with the flow. I for one have had their products for years and have only had one issue (which could have been my fault) and it was fixed swiftly.

Dude Shitty build quality!

I have hade SO MANY ISUESs and i boughty like  the most exspensive mouse / Ps4 controller from razer.
Both broke so fast i can tell you one thing FACK Razer ....

On 4/2/2017 at 6:06 AM, DaveKerk said:

I don't believe so, for the quality that I have received it was a very fair price. Granted some of their stuff is over priced such as the BLADE, but professionals, Linus included, have testified on their behalf.

Linus doesn't have real world experience with razor products... he gets everything he's used for free and has himself stated on multiple occasions that he's had poor quality/longevity out of them... Yet every time he gets more free products, he picks the razor. He's either incapable of being truly objective and factoring in the failure rates of 'his' personal uinits, is a fanboi and won;t admit it... or is a bit of an idiot and keeps repeating the same mistakes over and over expecting a different result.

It's why I can't take recommendations from people like him seriously enough to sway my opinion... Same goes for every other 'reviewer' who gets so much free stuff that they are no longer able to be truly objective... No matter what they claim... when you are spoilt with so much free stuff you lose any and all site of 'real world value' is.

System 1: Gigabyte Aorus B450 Pro, Ryzen 5 2600X, 32GB Corsair Vengeance 3200mhz, Sapphire 5700XT, 250GB NVME WD Black, 2x Crucial MX5001TB, 2x Seagate 3TB, H115i AIO, Sharkoon BW9000 case with corsair ML fans, EVGA G2 Gold 650W Modular PSU, liteon bluray/dvd/rw.. NO RGB aside from MB and AIO pump. Triple 27" Monitor setup (1x 144hz, 2x 75hz, all freesync/freesync 2)

System 2: Asus M5 MB, AMD FX8350, 16GB DDR3, Sapphire RX580, 30TB of storage, 250GB SSD, Silverstone HTPC chassis, Corsair 550W Modular PSU, Noctua cooler, liteon bluray/dvd/rw, 4K HDR display (Samsung TV)

System 3 & 4: nVidia shield TV (2017 & 2019) Pro with extra 128GB samsung flash drives.

I understand the hate on razer as I love the MMO mouse the Razer Naga. I loved the 2014 model and the 2014 chroma as it added rbg. I hate how they made it into the trinity and almost doubled the weight since its design. These naga mice only ever last 1-2 years MAX where I still have old Logitech mice from 10 years ago still working perfect. When the new version of the mouse comes out they make sure its impossible to get the old versions ( I have tried everything and cannot find new Razer 2014 NAGA where they are not $500). 

But My Razer Megladon headset has lasted so long its actually astonishing. I got my Megladon from a CS tourny back when it was released as a promotional prize. It has fallen off my car going highway speeds 2 times and still works perfectly. It is well worn and still sounds great and the microphone works very well even compared to headsets today. They are also very comfy to boot. So Not all products last this long or take this kind of beating but my headset has taken everything and works perfectly. 

On 4/2/2017 at 1:12 AM, Techicolors said:

i'm curious how all of those razer blades Linus gave away are doing so far.. because that's a lot of laptops

A lot of them had to be replaced because of various issues

Wii-U Wii-U Wii-U Wii-U Wii-U Wii-U Wii-U *insert firetruck picture* :) 

On 4/1/2017 at 10:19 PM, DaveKerk said:

To be fair, NVIDIA also now requires an account to access the GeForce Experience. 

Which is also absolute garbage. And the only thing that does is help you reset a games graphical settings if you managed to really fuck it up. Most of the games on my system aren't even detected and you can't add them manually.

You can download the drivers from their website without a stupid account, and there's other, better alternatives to Shadowplay.

Personally, I've not used any Razer products, because regardless of any actual reliability issues or not, they all feel extremely cheap in hand to me. I also don't like the branding or aesthetics, it just starts to reek of that Wayne's World advertisement scene.

Image result for wayne's world advertising

I'll never be so far up a company's asshole that I'm going to want everything I own to be branded by their big stupid logo and repugnant aesthetics. Also, every RAZER product has RAZER in the name. So it's not RAZER Mamba, it's actually RAZER RAZER Mamba.

#Muricaparrotgang

holy thread necromancy... somebody with 1 post dug up a ~2.5 year old thread >_< 

but on razeer i have the razer phone 2 because of the display, I mostly use my phone for consuming content and some gaming like pokemon go and occasional mobile gaming when stuck someplace and bored. for the price and the display quality at the time is was (and to an extent still is) the best option for my use case (also it sounds amazing) 

I have mostly moved away from their stuff as I find red dragon to be of the same quality for keyboard/mouse at 1/3 the price usually. 

thier laptops seem nice but again compared to toher devices I just don't see payign that premium for looks vs hardware. its a bit older now but when i picked up my laptop (no reason to upgrade yet as it works fine) an i7 with a gtx 960m and good battery life was 3/4 the price of a razer if i recall correctly. 

-Topic Locked-

This thread is over two years old. Please do not revive posts from the dead. 

"Put as much effort into your question as you'd expect someone to give in an answer"- @Princess Luna

Make sure to Quote posts or tag the person with @[username] so they know you responded to them!

RGB Build Post 2019 --- Rainbow 🦆 2020 --- Velka 5 V2.0 Build 2021

Purple Build Post ---  Blue Build Post --- Blue Build Post 2018 --- Project ITNOS

CPU i7-4790k    Motherboard Gigabyte Z97N-WIFI    RAM G.Skill Sniper DDR3 1866mhz    GPU EVGA GTX1080Ti FTW3    Case Corsair 380T   

Storage Samsung EVO 250GB, Samsung EVO 1TB, WD Black 3TB, WD Black 5TB    PSU Corsair CX750M    Cooling Cryorig H7 with NF-A12x25