What would you do if you had access to a time machine?

EslyteMedia

Give AMD a 7700K and the hardware to run it back in 06 for a major share in the company, Give microsoft windows 7 after xp was released for a major share, give Nvidia a Quadro p6000 and the hardware to run it (guess what for another share). 

System

Case- Thermaltake Core V21 / CPU - i7 4790 / GPU - Asus Strix GTX 1070 / Mobo - Gigabyte Z97 mx / Ram - 4x4 gb GSkill Sniper DDR3 1866 / Storage - 2x WD Black 1tb drives, 1x 120gb OCZ SSD / Cooler - Cooler Master TX3 / PSU - EVGA G2 650w / Audio - Sennheiser PC 350 SE / Monitor - Asus 1920X1080 @60hz / Keyboard & Mouse - Cooler Master Devastator II / OS - Windows 10 Enterprise

I would go back to the 80's. Get a good job, save, and eventually invest in successful tech startups and short busts. Probably get in on the 2000's dot com bust and the housing market crash. Maybe do a little bit of gambling along the way. 

System: Thinkpad T460

I buried my time machine in my back yard and tell everyone that time machines are science fiction.

Sgt. Murphy says, "Never forget that your weapons and equipment were made by the lowest bidder."

So many money making opportunities, lottery, bitcoin, stock market, buying 250 GTOs in the 70's when they were just an old racing car and not worth very much.

9 hours ago, Thunderpup said:

I think the best and most effective way to kill hitler would be to kill the conditions that created him.

If you can convince the allies not to overtly punish germany after ww1 causing economic ruin then he would not have risen to power.  

Well it would be pretty much impossible to prevent WW1, Germany was just looking for an excuse to go to war. I'm not sure how you could influence the allies not to punish Germany. Killing Hitler would be the best way to at least avert the Holocaust, if not completely avoid another war.  

11 hours ago, cluelessgenius said:

i love how everybody things they can just go back and kill hitler. like just walk up to the dude and shoot him or whatever. just because youre there doesnt make it that easy.

so since you risk changing the future and therefore should be very careful of your actions i would probably have it more for entertaining use. watch elvis/micheal jackson concert. sit in on one of einsteins lectures. and if i can also take stuff with me id invest heavily in all sorts of company and steal like some original davincis or something

Sure if you wait until he's formed the Nazi party and has bodyguards, by which time it may be too late. Kill the bastard before he writes mien kampf, no protection and his ideas die with him.

Yes by preventing WW2 you may cause a something else undesirable, highly unlikely to be as bad as though. Industrial genocide, war across 3 continents, and use of nuclear weapons sets the bar pretty low.  

1 minute ago, Monkey Dust said:

Well it would be pretty much impossible to prevent WW1, Germany was just looking for an excuse to go to war. I'm not sure how you could influence the allies not to punish Germany. Killing Hitler would be the best way to at least avert the Holocaust, if not completely avoid another war.  

In reality you would only need to convince one person and that's the president of the united states.  If you could prove to him that you were indeed a time traveler then you could convince him to be more fervent in his opposition toward punishing germany.

As it is the americans were against the whole punishment in the first place; if you could get them to threaten a trade embargo on France and GB should they proceed; you would have a decent chance at convincing them. 

I'd open a greasy spoon restaurant today and go back to the 50's to buy all my meat.  Undercut all the other business' and profit! 

(I may or may not have stolen this idea from Stephen King)

Oh, and if I have time, save JFK for some reason.

Malo Periculosam Libertatem Quam Quietum Servitium

buy every hardware and software for archival purposes...

then give it back to the person i "borrowed" it from....

****SORRY FOR MY ENGLISH IT'S REALLY TERRIBLE*****

Been married to my wife for 3 years now! Yay!

I would go back to middle ages, build a castle with very powerful electro magnets in walls.

I would then declare war on other kingdoms.

Once their armoured knights arrived to conquer my castle I would turn the magnets ON and enjoy the show.

id punch the prime minister in the face. then id go back in time and punch him again.

☼

ψ ︿_____︿_ψ_   

On 3/2/2017 at 6:31 AM, Thunderpup said:

I think the best and most effective way to kill hitler would be to kill the conditions that created him.

If you can convince the allies not to overtly punish germany after ww1 causing economic ruin then he would not have risen to power.  

I would go back to when he was making art before the war and befriend him. maybe buy some of his paintings. when he wants to go into politics id convince him not to. if that doesnt work id just kill him and warp outta there.

On 3/2/2017 at 11:40 PM, SCHISCHKA said:

id punch the prime minister in the face. then id go back in time and punch him again.

PM of which country?

31 minutes ago, EslyteMedia said:

PM of which country?

The Prime Minister of Denial Land

☼

ψ ︿_____︿_ψ_   

On 3/2/2017 at 9:53 AM, cluelessgenius said:

oh you right. :o thats wayy easier -.- 

i think if you absolutly had to do it the best way would be to kill him some time during his childhood. because at birth theres too many people there and nobody leaves an infant alone. but somewhere around the time he starts school i  guess would be the earliest point to reach him undetected.

that being said im still against the whle killing hitler thing for "not-changing-the-future"-reasons

bad things happen but making them not happen doesnt mean the future is necessaryly gonna be better. maybe theres some even more radical dude who would have successfully destroyed us all if it werent for hitler coming to power. obviously im not saying hitler saved us from even worse im saying we dont know and changing the past is just way too dangerous.

Someone else would take his place

He who asks is stupid for 5 minutes. He who does not ask, remains stupid. -Chinese proverb. 

Those who know much are aware that they know little. - Slick roasting me

Spoiler

AXIOM

CPU- Intel i5-6500 GPU- EVGA 1060 6GB Motherboard- Gigabyte GA-H170-D3H RAM- 8GB HyperX DDR4-2133 PSU- EVGA GQ 650w HDD- OEM 750GB Seagate Case- NZXT S340 Mouse- Logitech Gaming g402 Keyboard-  Azio MGK1 Headset- HyperX Cloud Core

Offical first poster LTT V2.0

I'd take the blueprints for Ryzen and give them to AMD before they released Faildozer. ;)

And about the going back to witness wars... I think they're cool in movies and stuff but to actually see thousands and thousands of people being killed. I think that would kinda mess you up a bit. 

id go back an not date my first gf. and than proceed to not take that new job where i fucked the disc in my back..... and also maybe warn AMD to lower the hype and fix the mobos before release......

few other things, but yeah, thats the main points

Fuck you. You know what, I wouldn't use it. I'd just let it sit in my house. I'd put a drink on it. Eh I got a time machine, I never wanted it. I don't know, not interested. I'd use it to go back 30 minutes ago and punch you in the fucking face before you asked me that, that's all. One use.

On 3/1/2017 at 9:14 PM, EslyteMedia said:

Anywhere, Anyone, Any-when. What would you do? (I think It goes without saying that we'd all try to kill Hitler or something of the sort.)

I would have gone back then, but I wouldn't have killed Hitler. I would have raped him. Because I think that would have been enough. I think that would have stopped him from doing all that shit. If he had been raped by me he never would have pulled any of that stuff, man.

I would go back and tell them to put more thought into the TCP/IP protocols and to skip 32bit IP addresses.

-KuJoe

-Go back

-Buy some stuff

-Go back to the future

-Sell stuff

-Be rich #YOLO

Last time one of these threads popped up i posted this -

(They are restricted to just watching a historical event play out) 
There is so much to pick from.. The siege of Jerusalem by Saladin (Or any other of the myriad of sieges the city went through), Sitting on the sidelines of a lecture by Socrates or Confucius, A myriad of historical battles like Marathon or Thermopylae.. Battle of Stirling bridge. Sinking of the Bismarck, etc. Wandering Europe during the medieval warm period would be cool. Egypt in 1550ish BC. Nassau in 1716, The first test drive of the Benz patent motorwagen. The 1964 Spa 24 hours race. The invention of gunpowder, 
If i had a year i could probably finish writing a list of things i'd like to see..

If i had to pick one.. The capture of the dutch fleet at Den Helder? Cavalry vs Warships would be kind of cool to see.
Or maybe my ancestor Peter Wessel Tordenskiold engaging a Swedish frigate in 1714
(Which supposedly ended with the captains toasting to each others health and sailing their separate ways)

But since this thread just asks what i'd do if i had a time machine.

I'd go back to 1705 or thereabouts. And then destroy my time machine. Selling the parts for pocket money before finding myself a ship.

Then i'd raise the black and plunder myself a nice fortune before dying of dysentery or some such crap. 

====>The car thread<====>Dark Souls thread<====>Placeholder<====
"Life is like a raging river, Its gonna get rough downstream. And people's gonna piss in it" 

"Who discovered we could get milk from cows, and what did he THINK he was doing at the time?"

Probably go back to the Edwardian or Georgian era with a fuck-tonne of scientific journals and modern knowledge, heliocentric orbitals, quantium mechanics, semiconductors, transistors, etc. etc. Advancing humanity by several centuries would be cool.

Project White Lightning (My ITX Gaming PC): Core i5-4690K | CRYORIG H5 Ultimate | ASUS Maximus VII Impact | HyperX Savage 2x8GB DDR3 | Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | WD Black 1TB | Sapphire RX 480 8GB NITRO+ OC | Phanteks Enthoo EVOLV ITX | Corsair AX760 | LG 29UM67 | CM Storm Quickfire Ultimate | Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum | HyperX Cloud II | Logitech Z333

Benchmark Results: 3DMark Firestrike: 10,528 | SteamVR VR Ready (avg. quality 7.1) | VRMark 7,004 (VR Ready)

Other systems I've built:

Core i3-6100 | CM Hyper 212 EVO | MSI H110M ECO | Corsair Vengeance LPX 1x8GB DDR4  | ADATA SP550 120GB | Seagate 500GB | EVGA ACX 2.0 GTX 1050 Ti | Fractal Design Core 1500 | Corsair CX450M

Core i5-4590 | Intel Stock Cooler | Gigabyte GA-H97N-WIFI | HyperX Savage 2x4GB DDR3 | Seagate 500GB | Intel Integrated HD Graphics | Fractal Design Arc Mini R2 | be quiet! Pure Power L8 350W

I am not a professional. I am not an expert. I am just a smartass. Don't try and blame me if you break something when acting upon my advice.

...why are you still reading this?

For some reason no one has said this....

I would destroy it immediately. I would rather not risk ripping a hole in/destroying the entire universe across all time.

Current LTT F@H Rank: 90    Score: 2,503,680,659    Stats

Yes, I have 9 monitors.

My main PC (Hybrid Windows 10/Arch Linux):

OS: Arch Linux w/ XFCE DE (VFIO-Patched Kernel) as host OS, windows 10 as guest

CPU: Ryzen 9 3900X w/PBO on (6c 12t for host, 6c 12t for guest)

Cooler: Noctua NH-D15

Mobo: Asus X470-F Gaming

RAM: 32GB G-Skill Ripjaws V @ 3200MHz (12GB for host, 20GB for guest)

GPU: Guest: EVGA RTX 3070 FTW3 ULTRA Host: 2x Radeon HD 8470

PSU: EVGA G2 650W

SSDs: Guest: Samsung 850 evo 120 GB, Samsung 860 evo 1TB Host: Samsung 970 evo 500GB NVME

HDD: Guest: WD Caviar Blue 1 TB

Case: Fractal Design Define R5 Black w/ Tempered Glass Side Panel Upgrade

Other: White LED strip to illuminate the interior. Extra fractal intake fan for positive pressure.

unRAID server (Plex, Windows 10 VM, NAS, Duplicati, game servers):

CPU: Ryzen R7 2700x @ Stock

Cooler: Noctua NH-U9S

Mobo: Asus Prime X470-Pro

RAM: 16GB G-Skill Ripjaws V + 16GB Hyperx Fury Black @ stock

GPU: EVGA GTX 1080 FTW2

PSU: EVGA G3 850W

SSD: Samsung 970 evo NVME 250GB, Samsung 860 evo SATA 1TB 

HDDs: 4x HGST Dekstar NAS 4TB @ 7200RPM (3 data, 1 parity)

Case: Sillverstone GD08B

Other: Added 3x Noctua NF-F12 intake, 2x Noctua NF-A8 exhaust, Inatek 5 port USB 3.0 expansion card with usb 3.0 front panel header

Details: 12GB ram, GTX 1080, USB card passed through to windows 10 VM. VM's OS drive is the SATA SSD. Rest of resources are for Plex, Duplicati, Spaghettidetective, Nextcloud, and game servers.