Size of LMG server room?

Geran

Hello,

I was wondering if any one knows the size of LMG's server room that Linus shows in his videos?

Regards,

G

it's rougly tiny by tiny by tiny.

jokes aside, there's some.. "indicatiosns" that can give you rough dimensions:

- the "width" of the room is the width of two server racks side by side

- the height of the room is whatever height they have for the bottom floor

- the depth.. is probably outlined best in one of their moving vlogs:

width of the keyboard tray thing, plus the width of the door on the rack (so, width of the rack) plus depth of the rack, plus whatever is behind the rack.

i think they changed things later on, to put the huge motherthunking UPS in:

About 2-4 square meters.

Including the space taken up by the door that opens inwards, and it has active air conditioning.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

I remember their architecture for that indoor building being on livestream, and after it was all done I couldn't help but think I'm sure as heck not hiring that guy for anything requiring a decent amount of space. Why their server room is so tiny but that room above it next to Linus' office with (as far as I can tell) two workers is ridiculously huge I'll never know

42 minutes ago, Eaglerino said:

I remember their architecture for that indoor building being on livestream, and after it was all done I couldn't help but think I'm sure as heck not hiring that guy for anything requiring a decent amount of space. Why their server room is so tiny but that room above it next to Linus' office with (as far as I can tell) two workers is ridiculously huge I'll never know

Because the room above it is the stairs :P

The server room sits under a wider-than-normal staircase up to the top level. The big room upstairs has 3 people in it now, and in the future the plan is to add more. 

2 minutes ago, LinusTech said:

The server room sits under a wider-than-normal staircase up to the top level. The big room upstairs has 3 people in it now, and in the future the plan is to add more. 

I remeber a problem with cooling on the server room popping up at some point, is that solved now?

We have a NEW and GLORIOUSER-ER-ER PSU Tier List Now. (dammit @LukeSavenije stop coming up with new ones)

You can check out the old one that gave joy to so many across the land here

Computer having a hard time powering on? Troubleshoot it with this guide. (Currently looking for suggestions to update it into the context of <current year> and make it its own thread)

Computer Specs:

Spoiler

Mathresolvermajig: Intel Xeon E3 1240 (Sandy Bridge i7 equivalent)

Chillinmachine: Noctua NH-C14S
Framepainting-inator: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2 Hybrid

Attachcorethingy: Gigabyte H61M-S2V-B3

Infoholdstick: Corsair 2x4GB DDR3 1333

Computerarmor: Silverstone RL06 "Lookalike"

Rememberdoogle: 1TB HDD + 120GB TR150 + 240 SSD Plus + 1TB MX500

AdditionalPylons: Phanteks AMP! 550W (based on Seasonic GX-550)

Letterpad: Rosewill Apollo 9100 (Cherry MX Red)

Buttonrodent: Razer Viper Mini + Huion H430P drawing Tablet

Auralnterface: Sennheiser HD 6xx

Liquidrectangles: LG 27UK850-W 4K HDR

1 minute ago, Energycore said:

I remeber a problem with cooling on the server room popping up at some point, is that solved now?

Yes, we were hoping to get away with ambient cooling in there, but summers have been.. hotter than usual in Vancouver and once we added the big UPS it became unmanageable. We have a dedicated AC unit for that room now.

Part of the plan for the future is also to line the room with acoustic material so that we can get rid of some of the background hum in our videos. Baby steps..

1 minute ago, LinusTech said:

Yes, we were hoping to get away with ambient cooling in there, but summers have been.. hotter than usual in Vancouver and once we added the big UPS it became unmanageable. We have a dedicated AC unit for that room now.

Part of the plan for the future is also to line the room with acoustic material so that we can get rid of some of the background hum in our videos. Baby steps..

If that was me, I would try to ensure some air flow on the server room by mounting a huge fan in exhaust mode to the wall. I've a feeling an AC unit would have to be chosen carefully because we're talking about a room that dissipates upwards of 1KW 24/7. Either way I'm eager to hear what you do with it, hopefully in video form.

We have a NEW and GLORIOUSER-ER-ER PSU Tier List Now. (dammit @LukeSavenije stop coming up with new ones)

Computer having a hard time powering on? Troubleshoot it with this guide. (Currently looking for suggestions to update it into the context of <current year> and make it its own thread)

Computer Specs:

Spoiler

4 minutes ago, LinusTech said:

Was keeping the door open a solution for ventilation than using a dedicated AC unit?

Please quote me so that I know that you have replied unless it is my own topic.

4 minutes ago, Ezio Auditore said:

Was keeping the door open a solution for ventilation than using a dedicated AC unit?

Well, just like a computer case is a compromise between sound dampening and cooling performance, keeping the server room closed means worse cooling for sure, but also less noticeable hum on videos from the high speed fans. Good cases can dampen sound while still keeping temps low, and similarly good cooling solutions for a server room keep both noise and temperature down. That's what I'm hoping to see out of the nekt Linus server room update.

Computer Specs:

Spoiler

But can Taran hang like a bat in the server room? (p.s amazed they got all that in there really and kept it cool!)

PC - NZXT H510 Elite, Ryzen 5600, 16GB DDR3200 2x8GB, EVGA 3070 FTW3 Ultra, Asus VG278HQ 165hz,

Mac - 1.4ghz i5, 4GB DDR3 1600mhz, Intel HD 5000.  x2

Endlessly wishing for a BBQ in space.

I remember those server videos.

Yea AC will defiantly help with the cooling.

Have considered may be getting a wall mounted sever case or cases for the server room Linus ? 

Also you could probable use server case fans they can run off of normal power for the the sever case to help with the cooling.  

8 hours ago, Trevor87 said:

I remember those server videos.

Yea AC will defiantly help with the cooling.

Have considered may be getting a wall mounted sever case or cases for the server room Linus ? 

Also you could probable use server case fans they can run off of normal power for the the sever case to help with the cooling.  

rackmount gear is essentially designed to "on its own" handle intaking fresh air on one side, and exhausting on the other, beyond that all that's left is managing the temperature in the room. at the scale linus is at just putting an AC in the room is plenty, in datacenters they usually have "hot" and "cold" aisles between racks, the cold ones being with the familiar tiles with holes in them. when you're talking 2x 100kW (redundancy ;)) in a small room, heat management is a necessity. having one "barely full" rack is still "child's play" in comparison :P. to give you an idea of what *actual* datacenters deal with in terms of "wattage per rack", some of the big enterprise core switches that take up like half a rack of space require 6 seperate 32A sockets, and when you stand behind one that's on full load, you're in a human sized hairdryer.

20 hours ago, LinusTech said:

Oh great me bashing your architect (I still stand by my statements) is my first reply by ye Linus

Based on everything stated here, I am going to assume that the room is around 4-5' wide and 8-10' deep with high ceilings.

That's a good starting point for me to design my room in Sketchup and I believe a max of 50sqft is sufficient for what I have in mind.

• 2 weeks later...

@LinusTechIs there going to be an update to the server room video in the near future? I would like to see the differences from before to now.

3 hours ago, Geran said:

@LinusTechIs there going to be an update to the server room video in the near future? I would like to see the differences from before to now.

Yes. I am shooting all these updates for 2 days straight on the 11th and 12th of Feb.

Plan is as follows: 

- cleaning 

- cable management

- some server consolidation

- network switches moving to the back

- upgrading wifi to new Ubiquiti gear

- making room for Petabyte storage cluster

- acoustic dampening

- dust filtration

Probably this will end up being a 2 part video in the "moving vlog" style.

6 minutes ago, LinusTech said:

Yes. I am shooting all these updates for 2 days straight on the 11th and 12th of Feb.

Plan is as follows: 

- cleaning 

- cable management

- acoustic dampening

- dust filtration

have to say some of my favorite content from yall is the moving vlog style stuff so that will be a treat if you decide to keep with that route.

i7 6700k - Asus ROG Strix GTX 1080 - assorted other stuff

9 minutes ago, LinusTech said:

Plan is as follows: 

- cleaning 

- cable management

- acoustic dampening

- dust filtration

Anything planned for the publicly displayed security flaw in the door?

22 minutes ago, LinusTech said:

Oh the wave 2 AP's?

Also have you considered colocation/private cloud with MPLS connection?

15 minutes ago, kerradeph said:

Anything planned for the publicly displayed security flaw in the door?

The room has two doors. I didn't have the key for the inner door beause I never lock that one. It's mostly for noise reduction. The outer door is MUCH more secure anyway (and always locked)

4 minutes ago, Windspeed36 said:

Oh the wave 2 AP's?

Also have you considered colocation/private cloud with MPLS connection?

Yeah the wave 2s.

As for MPLS, no I haven't looked into it at all. Our offsite backup server is located in our ISP's datacenter so they're handling the network config stuff on their side.

8 minutes ago, LinusTech said:

Yeah the wave 2s.

As for MPLS, no I haven't looked into it at all. Our offsite backup server is located in our ISP's datacenter so they're handling the network config stuff on their side.

Just to elaborate, our sister company runs essentailly a private cloud with everyone working on VMWare Horizon VDI's. All of that infastructure runs in an N+1 tier 3 DC. There's an MPLS fibre connection run from the DC to the client site meaning that it appears as if it's the same LAN. You could in theory move your entire infastructure into your own private cloud and have have people remote into their workspaces. Significantly more secure when done properly, both physically and virtually.

1 hour ago, LinusTech said:

- dust filtration

a good stop-gap measure is to get a box fan and tape a 20-20 furnace filter to it. They're made for each other, and you can get various levels of filtration. 

muh specs 

Gaming and HTPC (reparations)- ASUS 1080, MSI X99A SLI Plus, 5820k- 4.5GHz @ 1.25v, asetek based 360mm AIO, RM 1000x, 16GB memory, 750D with front USB 2.0 replaced with 3.0  ports, 2 250GB 850 EVOs in Raid 0 (why not, only has games on it), some hard drives

Screens- Acer preditor XB241H (1080p, 144Hz Gsync), LG 1080p ultrawide, (all mounted) directly wired to TV in other room

Stuff- k70 with reds, steel series rival, g13, full desk covering mouse mat

All parts black

Workstation(desk)- 3770k, 970 reference, 16GB of some crucial memory, a motherboard of some kind I don't remember, Micomsoft SC-512N1-L/DVI, CM Storm Trooper (It's got a handle, can you handle that?), 240mm Asetek based AIO, Crucial M550 256GB (upgrade soon), some hard drives, disc drives, and hot swap bays

Screens- 3  ASUS VN248H-P IPS 1080p screens mounted on a stand, some old tv on the wall above it. 

Stuff- Epicgear defiant (solderless swappable switches), g600, moutned mic and other stuff. 

Laptop docking area- 2 1440p korean monitors mounted, one AHVA matte, one samsung PLS gloss (very annoying, yes). Trashy Razer blackwidow chroma...I mean like the J key doesn't click anymore. I got a model M i use on it to, but its time for a new keyboard. Some edgy Utechsmart mouse similar to g600. Hooked to laptop dock for both of my dell precision laptops. (not only docking area)

Shelf- i7-2600 non-k (has vt-d), 380t, some ASUS sandy itx board, intel quad nic. Currently hosts shared files, setting up as pfsense box in VM. Also acts as spare gaming PC with a 580 or whatever someone brings. Hooked into laptop dock area via usb switch