What would it take for YOU to switch to Ryzen/Vega

all they have to do is bring it out and i would buy it :P 

Rig Specs:

AMD Threadripper 5990WX@4.8Ghz

Asus Zenith III Extreme

Asrock OC Formula 7970XTX Quadfire

G.Skill Ripheartout X OC 7000Mhz C28 DDR5 4X16GB  

Super Flower Power Leadex 2000W Psu's X2

Harrynowl's 775/771 OC and mod guide: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/232325-lga775-core2duo-core2quad-overclocking-guide/ http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/365998-mod-lga771-to-lga775-cpu-modification-tutorial/

ProKoN haswell/DC OC guide: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/41234-intel-haswell-4670k-4770k-overclocking-guide/

"desperate for just a bit more money to watercool, the titan x would be thankful" Carter -2016

I don't expect to replace my cpu for years if this glacial pace of improvement continues, so as much as I'd like to go AMD again on cpu I can't see it until the next major improvement in cpus.

29 minutes ago, SteveGrabowski0 said:

I don't expect to replace my cpu for years if this glacial pace of improvement continues, so as much as I'd like to go AMD again on cpu I can't see it until the next major improvement in cpus.

Linus just did a video on the feature set to Ryzen, mirror like reflection of Haswell. The only difference being DDR4.

If anyone asks you never saw me.

Better value than what's out there currently.

✨PC Specs✨

AMD Ryzen 7 3800X | MSI MPG B550 Gaming Plus | 16GB Team T-Force 3400MHz | Zotac GTX 1080 AMP EXTREME

BeQuiet Dark Rock Pro 4 Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | NZXT 750W | Phanteks Eclipse P400A

Extras: ASUS Zephyrus G14 (2021) | OnePlus 7 Pro | Fully restored Robosapien V2, Omnibot 2000, Omnibot 5402

For my computer to become outdated (that will take a while cpu wise) and for it to beat an i7 at the same or better price for my needs (but realistically it doesn't seem to be any better than my current CPU so....)

https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/631048-psu-tier-list-updated/ Tier Breakdown (My understanding)--1 Godly, 2 Great, 3 Good, 4 Average, 5 Meh, 6 Bad, 7 Awful

6 hours ago, ONOTech said:

And the generational difference between Haswell & Skylake is 5% at most. The 4790K still goes for $340 despite its age. Either way, if they're offering an equivalent product, they're going to need to undercut. The likelihood of their 6C performing close to Intel's 10C is slim to none. It's more than likely going to perform closer to the 5820K, and if it does $300-350 is very plausible in this context. 

I understand that AMD needs the profit, but $350 for a hexacore in 2017 is a fair price. 

It's all about performance though, not simply the number of cores. If they manage to get it, as they've shown, to perform as well as the 6900k then they should price it in that ballpark, even a few hundred dollars less would still leave an enticing option for a lot of people.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

I would buy Ryzen if it were released 1 and a half years ago. 

My eyes see the past…

My camera lens sees the present…

AMD to put out something legit

price

and for the ryzen/vega to come out very soon

Windows 10 Edu | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | Ryzen 9 3950x | 4x 16GB G.Skill Trident Z RGB| ROG Strix GeForce® RTX 2080 SUPER™ Advanced edition | Samsung 980 PRO 500GB + Samsung 970 Evo Plus 2TB + 8TB Seagate Barracuda | EVGA Supernova 650 G2 | Alienware AW3418DW + LG 34uc87c + Dell u3419w | Asus Zephyrus G14

I'm going with an 8 core CPU for my new build, so it will either be Skylake-X or Ryzen. Depends on the pricing and performance.

What it will take for me to switch to Ryzen more specifically, is if it matches Broadwell-E IPC with the highest end SKU at no more than $500. And I need at least ten benchmarks verifying this beyond any shadow of a doubt.

If Ryzen fails this standard, Skylake-X I go.

I'm not planning on doing a GPU upgrade this year, but if I were then I'll probably jump ship to Nvidia with Volta; unless a Vega SKU matches or exceeds 1080 performance for $500. My Fury is sufficient for what I require of it, as I don't plan on going to 4K any time soon.

New Build (The Compromise): CPU - i7 9700K @ 5.1Ghz Mobo - ASRock Z390 Taichi | RAM - 16GB G.SKILL TridentZ RGB 3200CL14 @ 3466 14-14-14-30 1T | GPU - ASUS Strix GTX 1080 TI | Cooler - Corsair h100i Pro | SSDs - 500 GB 960 EVO + 500 GB 850 EVO + 1TB MX300 | Case - Coolermaster H500 | PSUEVGA 850 P2 | Monitor - LG 32GK850G-B 144hz 1440p | OSWindows 10 Pro. 

Peripherals - Corsair K70 Lux RGB | Corsair Scimitar RGB | Audio-technica ATH M50X + Antlion Modmic 5 |

CPU/GPU history: Athlon 6000+/HD4850 > i7 2600k/GTX 580, R9 390, R9 Fury > i7 7700K/R9 Fury, 1080TI > Ryzen 1700/1080TI > i7 9700K/1080TI.

Other tech: Surface Pro 4 (i5/128GB), Lenovo Ideapad Y510P w/ Kali, OnePlus 6T (8G/128G), PS4 Slim.

Better performance than the i7-6800K for the same or lower price.

Already have a 6800K build planned, and the only reason I haven't pulled the trigger (actually did, but canceled it) is because I want to see how Zen performs.

So if they want me as a customer they need:

~400 dollars or under

Haswell-ish single core performance (OK with sightly lower, but not much lower)

6 or 8 cores

SMT implementation that is as good as HyperThreading.

If they only manage to match Intel across the board then I am going with Intel. AMD has to offer an overall better product, with no major drawbacks.

I could switch anything you like. If its A) better performing than current, which for GPU isn't even hard. And B) I would get it for free or with 70-90% off retail price.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

Yes, I might do it or just go apeshit with X99.

5 minutes ago, LoGiCalDrm said:

I could switch anything you like. If its A) better performing than current, which for GPU isn't even hard. And B) I would get it for free or with 70-90% off retail price.

B) You can wish alright, stuff in Suomi is quite expensive :(

Thus, from the war of nature, from famine and death, the most exalted object which we are capable of conceiving, namely, the production of the higher animals, directly follows. There is grandeur in this view of life, with its several powers, having been originally breathed into a few forms or into one; and that, whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been, and are being, evolved.

a few more years of them being on top, because my 4790k isnt on its way out yet, we'll see what's available when i actually need an upgrade :P

If the Pricing is right.

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Try to make sense of what you see and wonder about what makes the universe exist. Be curious. And however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at. 
It matters that you don't just give up.”

-Stephen Hawking

Considering I'm already sporting an i7-6700K and a 980Ti that's still comfortably driving my X34 Predator (1440p ultrawide), I don't think I'll be upgrading any time soon lest I incur the wrath of the wife.

But hey, I use AMD/ATI back in the day when I had almost no money, so I have nothing against the brands themselves. I was just trying to build the best gaming PC I could afford when I built the one I have now.

Upgrading to Ryzen/Vega would require them to be absurdly more powerful, affordable, beautiful, and also have there be a sufficient software need to justify all this extra horsepower since my current setup is already overkill for a lot of my day-to-day tasks.

Still, I'll be rooting for AMD since healthy competition is always a win for the consumers.

---

My wife has an 8320 right now so I'll happily buy ryzen.  I'm not spending $340CAN on 7600k when it has basically the same performance as the 4670k I bought 3.5 years ago at $250CAN.  Boards are also $50 more.  Screw that

Edit: I have a 1070 and she has a 290 so she might get the Vega successor, because we're set for a while on gpus

Intel 4670K /w TT water 2.0 performer, GTX 1070FE, Gigabyte Z87X-DH3, Corsair HX750, 16GB Mushkin 1333mhz, Fractal R4 Windowed, Varmilo mint TKL, Logitech m310, HP Pavilion 23bw, Logitech 2.1 Speakers

17 hours ago, ONOTech said:

That's exactly why I explicitly stated a Haswell-performing six-core in my earlier posts. If it performs similarly to the 5820K, a Haswell-E six-core, then it will be priced close to it: $300-350, a 10-25% cut from the 5820K's $389. That's completely fair for everyone. 

Why do you keep bringing up the 6900K? I'm not referring to either octo-cores from AMD or Intel at all.

Because it's what it's been compare to time and time again, thus it makes sense to compare it to that price wise as well.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

would like to swap out my 4690K for a 4c/8t Ryzen processor, or maybe a 6c Ryzen processor. i'll have to sell the 4690K, mobo, RAM, and CPU cooler but hopefully that'll leave me with some money to cover the switch. 

Futureproofness. I have a i5 4690K (quite common apparently), but now if I want to upgrade I need to change my motherboard. If AMD can make a socket/compatible motherboards that would last for, say, 8 years, I'll switch to Rysen as I could upgrade 4 years later without changing MB, RAM or anything.

I'm also really concerned about efficiency and power consumption. Not so much with raw power, i5 is enough for me so the equivalent is ok.

[Insert smart comment here]

They just need to have what I want for the price I wanna pay. I'm on an FX6300, and I do plan to upgrade within a year. I don't really care who's got the fastest, but I do care who's got the fastest for my budget.

Vega isn't gonna be for me though, too expensive. Although I do plan on upgrading my 2gb 960 to an RX470

Ryzen 7 2700x, MSI Gaming X RX 480 8gb, Asus ROG X470 Gaming, 2x8gb Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000, 120gb Kingston SSD (Boot) + 1TB Seagate Barracuda.

I'm just basically gaming. if RyZen can come out, with comparable performance to Kaby Lake but at a pricepoint that makes it far more affordable, I'd give them switch. I've used AMD in the past and i'm not afraid to use them in the future.

I'm not really brand picky. As long as I get the performance I need at the pricepoint I can afford. 2017 will have me buying new CPU/Motherboard combo. So with Ryzen this year, I might just finally have some really good options in the market!

"Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so." - Douglas Adams

System: R9-5950x, ASUS X570-Pro, Nvidia Geforce RTX 2070s. 32GB DDR4 @ 3200mhz.

Perform good in Arma 3. That's all. My FX6300 is struggeling so much in arma. Im a amd fanboy overall, since they're cheaper then Nvidia and Intel.

If they bring good Single-Core performance im in.

Budget Rig "Curable":     | FX 6300 @4.5Ghz | Asus R9 270x | Asus Crosshair IV Extreme | 16GB HyperX Beast | 120GB PNY SSD

Tablet "Buddy":                 Trekstor Wintron 10.1|

If they keep up with Intel for more than 1 generation...id MAYBE consider it.

To be honest, I would rather pay extra money for something that I know is more vastly supported... but if all other things equal except for price (for more than one generation) then possibly consider a build with AMD... just one tho haha