What would it take for YOU to switch to Ryzen/Vega

CPU: better overclocked performance than 6800k

GPU: better overclocked performance than 1080 (Ti if it ever exists)

both have to be reasonably close in price to competitors if not less. (ie; not going to pay 20% more for 10% more performance) 

they also must have sexy waterblocks available :D

LTT Community Standards                                               Welcome!-A quick guide for new members to LTT

Man's Machine- i7-7700k@5.0GHz / Asus M8H / GTX 1080Ti / 4x4gb Gskill 3000 CL15  / Custom loop / 240gb Intel SSD / 3tb HDD / Corsair RM1000x / Dell S2716DG

The Lady's Rig- G3258@4.4GHz(1.39v) on Hyper 212 / Gigabyte GA-B85M / gtx750 / 8gb PNY xlr8 / 500gb seagate HDD / CS 450M / Asus PB277Q

1 minute ago, 0ld_Chicken said:

CPU: better overclocked performance than 6800k

GPU: better overclocked performance than 1080 (Ti if it ever exists)

both have to be reasonably close in price to competitors if not less. (ie; not going to pay 20% more for 10% more performance) 

they also must have sexy waterblocks available :D

keep in mind the 6700k has stronger individual cores than the 6800k

I can help with programming and hardware.

<Script>alert("This website is vulnerable to XSS");</Script>

There's nothing that'd make me switch to Ryzen atm as I bought my 6700K early November and I'm more than satisfied with its performance at 4,7GHz. If Vega is impressive then I might just ditch the Fury for it, but it'd have to be faster than a 1070 as my current Fury scores around that mark in benchmarks after OC.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D GPU: AMD Radeon RX 6900 XT 16GB GDDR6 Motherboard: MSI PRESTIGE X570 CREATION
AIO: Corsair H150i Pro RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB 32GB 3600MHz DDR4 Case: Lian Li PC-O11 Dynamic PSU: Corsair RM850x White

6 minutes ago, TheRandomness said:

An STX AM4 board and a Vega card less than 6 inches long.

I believe you mean ITX.  I too am super into ITX PCs, I currently have a 4790 and GTX 1080 in a tiny TINY case (planning to move it into an even TINIER CASE the lian-li tu200B), because I have to move it back and forth between my room and my VR space.

10 minutes ago, littlepigboy5 said:

keep in mind the 6700k has stronger individual cores than the 6800k

overclock it till it squeals and it'll come close enough :P

A good waterblock and a wall of radiators does wonders for 6+ core CPUs

LTT Community Standards                                               Welcome!-A quick guide for new members to LTT

Man's Machine- i7-7700k@5.0GHz / Asus M8H / GTX 1080Ti / 4x4gb Gskill 3000 CL15  / Custom loop / 240gb Intel SSD / 3tb HDD / Corsair RM1000x / Dell S2716DG

The Lady's Rig- G3258@4.4GHz(1.39v) on Hyper 212 / Gigabyte GA-B85M / gtx750 / 8gb PNY xlr8 / 500gb seagate HDD / CS 450M / Asus PB277Q

To Ryzen? It would take A LOT. After the disaster that was my experience with my last AMD CPU, I don't feel like giving that division of AMD my money again.

As for Vega, it would take a new game that really interest me but I cannot play because my current hardware isn't good enough even for the lowest setting. I don't care to hit the magical 60fps number, as long as it is playable(30+), that's all that matters to me, even if I have to reduce the graphics a bit.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

Well my rig is still at least a couple of years off retirement, and with a G-Sync monitor I'll almost certainly stick with the green team for my next graphics card. So for me it would need for my PC to die unexpectedly for Ryzen, or my monitor to die unexpectedly (or given the Asus PG278Q's reputation, perhaps not that unexpectedly) for Vega.

If I were to suffer a total loss and have to start from scratch again it would come down to a balance of power available and value for money, and I think AMD might win this time around for both CPU & GPU. With the premium on G-Sync monitors over Freesync I'm pretty sure Vega would win for me. Ryzen, supposedly the mobos should be cheaper than their Intel counterparts, though not much news about high end MATX and MITX boards a lack of which would be a deal breaker for me.

Someone buying them for me? I'm perfectly happy with my 4670k@4.5GHz and my R9 380. I don't see any reason upgrade for the time being.

i5-4670K ~ RX 470 ~ Z87MX-D3H ~ MX300 525GB ~ CM Hyper 212+ ~ 12GB 1600MHz Ram ~ EarthWatts 650 ~ NZXT GAMMA ~ WD Blue 250GB

13 minutes ago, littlepigboy5 said:

I believe you mean ITX.  I too am super into ITX PCs, I currently have a 4790 and GTX 1080 in a tiny TINY case (planning to move it into an even TINIER CASE the lian-li tu200B), because I have to move it back and forth between my room and my VR space.

No, STX. Google it, it's smaller than ITX.

USEFUL LINKS:

PSU Tier List F@H stats

I'm always sticking to Intel from now on. I highly doubt Ryzen will beat out Intel's line. Intel is a massive company and I know a lot of people are having their doubts about Intel due to the very little performance gain from Skylake -> Kabylake, but Intel is not stupid. There has to be a reason, IMO, maybe because their confident Ryzen won't top them and they could have had inside information, who knows.

I'm interested in Vega too but much like Ryzen, I highly doubt it would top Nvidia's lineup.

17 minutes ago, 0ld_Chicken said:

overclock it till it squeals and it'll come close enough :P

A good waterblock and a wall of radiators does wonders for 6+ core CPUs

#wholeroomwatercooling

8 minutes ago, Omie said:

I'm always sticking to Intel from now on. I highly doubt Ryzen will beat out Intel's line. Intel is a massive company and I know a lot of people are having their doubts about Intel due to the very little performance gain from Skylake -> Kabylake, but Intel is not stupid. There has to be a reason, IMO, maybe because their confident Ryzen won't top them and they could have had inside information, who knows.

I'm interested in Vega too but much like Ryzen, I highly doubt it would top Nvidia's lineup.

whether or not intel is growing as rapidly as it could, Ryzen being a very strong competitor is important.  Honestly I hope Ryzen outperforms Intel's Kaby Lake $/performance wise so we see a large performance jump in the next generation.  Competition is always good.

Just now, littlepigboy5 said:

whether or not intel is growing as rapidly as it could, Ryzen being a very strong competitor is important.  Honestly I hope Ryzen outperforms Intel's Kaby Lake $/performance wise so we see a large performance jump in the next generation.  Competition is always good.

Yeah you're definitely right about that. If Ryzen does happen to beat Intel somehow, I'll be more excited to see what Intel's response would be.

11 minutes ago, TheRandomness said:

No, STX. Google it, it's smaller than ITX.

i googled...woah.  No PCIE?

If Ryzen gives great performance for the money, I'm gonna get it. Vega will be out of my price range, so I won't go with that.

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

Price/performance aka bang for buck.

Remember kids, the only difference between screwing around and science is writing it down. - Adam Savage

PHOΞNIX Ryzen 5 1600 @ 3.75GHz | Corsair LPX 16Gb DDR4 @ 2933 | MSI B350 Tomahawk | Sapphire RX 480 Nitro+ 8Gb | Intel 535 120Gb | Western Digital WD5000AAKS x2 | Cooler Master HAF XB Evo | Corsair H80 + Corsair SP120 | Cooler Master 120mm AF | Corsair SP120 | Icy Box IB-172SK-B | OCZ CX500W | Acer GF246 24" + AOC <some model> 21.5" | Steelseries Apex 350 | Steelseries Diablo 3 | Steelseries Syberia RAW Prism | Corsair HS-1 | Akai AM-A1

D.VA coming soon™ xoxo

Sapphire Acer Aspire 1410 Celeron 743 | 3Gb DDR2-667 | 120Gb HDD | Windows 10 Home x32

Vault Tec Celeron 420 | 2Gb DDR2-667 | Storage pending | Open Media Vault

gh0st Asus K50IJ T3100 | 2Gb DDR2-667 | 40Gb HDD | Ubuntu 17.04

Diskord Apple MacBook A1181 Mid-2007 Core2Duo T7400 @2.16GHz | 4Gb DDR2-667 | 120Gb HDD | Windows 10 Pro x32

Firebird//Phoeniix FX-4320 | Gigabyte 990X-Gaming SLI | Asus GTS 450 | 16Gb DDR3-1600 | 2x Intel 535 250Gb | 4x 10Tb Western Digital Red | 600W Segotep custom refurb unit | Windows 10 Pro x64 // offisite backup and dad's PC

Saint Olms Apple iPhone 6 16Gb Gold

Archon Microsoft Lumia 640 LTE

Gulliver Nokia Lumia 1320

Werkfern Nokia Lumia 520

Hydromancer Acer Liquid Z220

2 hours ago, TheRandomness said:

M.2 can be adapted to PCIe X4 if the motherboard has it built in.

is PCIE 3.0 x4 enough bandwidth for a 1080?

I would strongly consider buying a Vega card if there's a high end one that isn't at Nvidia's stupid pricing.

Evga GTX 1080 SC ACX | Ryzen 5600X | MSI Tomahawk B550 | 16GB Vengeance 3600MHz | EVGA 650P2 | HAF X | WD SN850X | Asus MG287Q 1440p 144Hz

1 minute ago, TheRandomness said:

Just about. You lose like 5%, but that's it.

better than the TB3 to PCIE boxes like the core

Well my 4670k still kicking so Ryzen has to be a pretty big bang/buck ratio to convince me :D . As for Vega i have a Freesync monitor so red team only, plus im "only" running a single 290x and its starting to bottleneck the system at 4k res... I gonna upgrade my PC next year so by the time it will be actual there will be plenty of tests out there :D .

Edited by jagdtigger

Money, I thinking when it drops I'll probably get something around $300-350, has to be competing with the 1070.

Wanna hang out with me and people like @Theslsamg, @ Ssoele, @BENTHEREN, @Lanoi, @Whiskers, @_ASSASSIN_, @Looney, @WunderWuffle, and @nsyedhasan. Well.... Check out: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/48484-unofficial-linustechtips-teamschnitzel-server-teamspeak/

OMG you guys all assume it will be so cheap xDDDD If its that cheap AMD will just get squashed by Intel. AMD cant afford to do cheap prices. They need money. Intel doesnt. They have billions in pure cash and near no long term debt. AMD is the exact oppossite. Intel can just lower the prices to cheaper than AMDs and people will buy the Intels. Ryzen wont be under i5-6400 price for the 4/8 under the 6700K for the 6/12, and not under the 5820K for the 8/12. The "1080" Vega will also not be under 1070 price and so on

He who asks is stupid for 5 minutes. He who does not ask, remains stupid. -Chinese proverb. 

Those who know much are aware that they know little. - Slick roasting me

Spoiler

AXIOM

CPU- Intel i5-6500 GPU- EVGA 1060 6GB Motherboard- Gigabyte GA-H170-D3H RAM- 8GB HyperX DDR4-2133 PSU- EVGA GQ 650w HDD- OEM 750GB Seagate Case- NZXT S340 Mouse- Logitech Gaming g402 Keyboard-  Azio MGK1 Headset- HyperX Cloud Core

Offical first poster LTT V2.0