Revive your old laptop

nicklmg

Miss leading Title very sad to see this on the Channel not what any one wan'ts 

IntelCorei54670k,Maximus VI Formula,Swift tech H220, 16gigs Corsair Dominator platinums, Asus DCUII GTX 780,1x256 840 evo, 1x 2TB Segate barracuda, Corsair AX 860, 

3 X Noctua NF-F12, 2x Noctua NF A-14, Ducky Shine 3 Blue Leds Blue switches, Razer Death Adder 2012, Corsair vengence 1400  

What is going on with you LMG? Misleading thumbnail and title for a video that is just you swapping an HDD for an SSD in a laptop.

I don't want to unsub but it is starting to look like something that I have to consider

10 minutes ago, poggo said:

For those who couldn't read properly, I used ye olde "Zoom and enhance" method.

wifi.png

Not like it's gonna help you or anything. The people that pay for 1 week early have already picked up on it, and it's changed now.

That time I saved Linus' WiFi pass from appearing on YouTube: 

A sudden Linus re-appears : http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/390793-important-dailymotion-account-still-active/

11 hours ago, Daniel644 said:

why so late?

Are they ever on time? Look at the WAN Show for example, and they even admit it.

Main System: Phobos

AMD Ryzen 7 2700 (8C/16T), ASRock B450 Steel Legend, 16GB G.SKILL Aegis DDR4 3000MHz, AMD Radeon RX 570 4GB (XFX), 960GB Crucial M500, 2TB Seagate BarraCuda, Windows 10 Pro for Workstations/macOS Catalina

Secondary System: York

Intel Core i7-2600 (4C/8T), ASUS P8Z68-V/GEN3, 16GB GEIL Enhance Corsa DDR3 1600MHz, Zotac GeForce GTX 550 Ti 1GB, 240GB ADATA Ultimate SU650, Windows 10 Pro for Workstations

Older File Server: Yet to be named

Intel Pentium 4 HT (1C/2T), Intel D865GBF, 3GB DDR 400MHz, ATI Radeon HD 4650 1GB (HIS), 80GB WD Caviar, 320GB Hitachi Deskstar, Windows XP Pro SP3, Windows Server 2003 R2

6 minutes ago, MrKickkiller said:

Not like it's gonna help you or anything. The people that pay for 1 week early have already picked up on it, and it's changed now.

I know (well, I hoped), that's why I shamelessly shared it ;)

You know, people talk about all these Core i5's and i3's being all old and slow, and I'm sitting here surrounded by Core 2 Duo's. I just got a Sandy Bridge Core i3 because someone didn't need it. Core 2 Duo's are fine for web browsing, so why wouldn't a better Core i5 be?

Main System: Phobos

AMD Ryzen 7 2700 (8C/16T), ASRock B450 Steel Legend, 16GB G.SKILL Aegis DDR4 3000MHz, AMD Radeon RX 570 4GB (XFX), 960GB Crucial M500, 2TB Seagate BarraCuda, Windows 10 Pro for Workstations/macOS Catalina

Secondary System: York

Intel Core i7-2600 (4C/8T), ASUS P8Z68-V/GEN3, 16GB GEIL Enhance Corsa DDR3 1600MHz, Zotac GeForce GTX 550 Ti 1GB, 240GB ADATA Ultimate SU650, Windows 10 Pro for Workstations

Older File Server: Yet to be named

Intel Pentium 4 HT (1C/2T), Intel D865GBF, 3GB DDR 400MHz, ATI Radeon HD 4650 1GB (HIS), 80GB WD Caviar, 320GB Hitachi Deskstar, Windows XP Pro SP3, Windows Server 2003 R2

11 minutes ago, Jamiec1130 said:

Are they ever on time? Look at the WAN Show for example, and they even admit it.

YT uploads are usually right on time, probably since they have been ready for at least a week and their uplink is wicked fast...

Maybe they were considering additional changes or YT processing derped yet again.

Videos are getting meh. I barely watch any videos anymore tbh :/ . I know you can't please anyone. But this video was bad. All Luke did was change the HDD to an SSD, which most of us know. 

Please bring back scrapyard wars... :(

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X | CPU Cooler: Stock AMD Cooler | Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX B550-F GAMING (WI-FI) | RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 CL16 | GPU: Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB Zotac Mini | Case: K280 Case | PSU: Cooler Master B600 Power supply | SSD: 1TB  | HDDs: 1x 250GB & 1x 1TB WD Blue | Monitors: 24" Acer S240HLBID + 24" Samsung  | OS: Win 10 Pro

Audio: Behringer Q802USB Xenyx 8 Input Mixer |  U-PHORIA UMC204HD | Behringer XM8500 Dynamic Cardioid Vocal Microphone | Sound Blaster Audigy Fx PCI-E card.

Home Lab:  Lenovo ThinkCenter M82 ESXi 6.7 | Lenovo M93 Tiny Exchange 2019 | TP-LINK TL-SG1024D 24-Port Gigabit | Cisco ASA 5506 firewall  | Cisco Catalyst 3750 Gigabit Switch | Cisco 2960C-LL | HP MicroServer G8 NAS | Custom built SCCM Server.

1 hour ago, Jamiec1130 said:

well outside of the WAN show "archive upload" to youtube that obviously can't happen until after the WAN show finishes they have said they now target a NOON there time (Pacific Time Zone) release schedule for Youtube videos (where before they targeted a Midnight release), they had some videos in the last few weeks that couldn't meet that due to having to shoot the video that day as they needed to wait for the product to actually show up, but that clearly wouldn't be the case with all this hardware being old stuff thats been laying around for years.

I would've appreciated it better if @Slick taught a non-techie relative or friend how to bring new life to an old laptop by bit-by-bit cloning the old mechanical hard drive to a solid state drive using Macrium Reflect or replace Windows 7 with Ubuntu or better yet, install Chrome OS.

There is more that meets the eye
I see the soul that is inside

13 hours ago, nicklmg said:

That old hunk of junk laptop that you have kicking around could be more than a paperweight... And it might be easier to fix than you'd think.

You know, I've kept my mouth shut about the decline of LTT for a long time simply because this forum is one of the most user friendly forums out there...  But this is the most click bait title I've EVER seen and it is the SAME video they made 3 years ago.  Quite literally shows no one anything we didn't already know and really felt like a blank video just to advertise 3 different spots...  Not only that, it is showing newbs that they can just transfer drives from system to system without knowing what to do with drivers and installations... This gives me more of a mess to clean up than it ever helps fix.  I'm legit kinda upset at this video and really tired of LTT's latest conceitedly assertive and dogmatic points of view that are just simply, for lack of a better word, unhelpful to really anyone.  A new person in computers would watch this and almost instantly brick their computer because they're swapping out HDDs and SSD's without doing any of the things otherwise, and someone educated about computers looks at this and cringes.  And people in the middle are either so laid back they're not going to do anything at all, or they're so gung-ho they've already messed up 100 different computers to get one game to play.

I'm really disappointed here.  CES coverage had better be BALLIN and this had better just been a "filler" content to meet their 1 video per day thing.  If not, there is a great chance that I'll probably quit watching LTT all together, I'm already starting to tune out to the point where I only watch 2-3 videos a week anyways.

EDIT:  I want to make 2 more points that weigh in on my heart heavily as a LTT Community member (I mean hell I've been around for years and have thousands of post) and as a PCMR advocate.

1.  As a LTT Community Member I think LMG is quite literally defining a shill right in front of our eyes.  Just looking at this thread, not a single person has said how happy they are with the content.  Everyone is upset with it, and this has been common place for about the past 2-3 months and the response we're getting is "its what YouTube likes to see".  Who in the hell cares about YouTube and its millions of minions?  Even Linus, Luke, and Taren have all said on the WAN show that they don't even look at YouTube comments anymore.  So LMG as a company, and Linus as a individual, are going to not pay attention to a group of people (virtually at all) they they're going to market and build content for these people?  It is QUITE LITTERALLY the exact definition of a sell out.  These videos reflect more than just Linus's opinion, it reflects on me and other community members.  If someone would have asked me 2 years ago if I was a member of LTT Community, I'd say: "Hell yea, come join us on our LTT Star Citizen group."  But now I cant say that, I'd actually probably be ashamed and embarrassed to say that I'm a member of this community that is lead by these types of videos and content.  Not to include reporting and news inaccuracies.  (And to anyone that says, "Oh their not computer scientist" or anything like that, I say that ignorance has NEVER been a excuse for false advertising, inaccurate news reporting, or any other shady activities.)

2. As a PCMR member, I'm starting to shun LTT as a invalid source of getting any news.  I personally, look at PCMR as something like the NFL and LTT as something like a team of the NFL.  And I'm getting ready to restructure the divisions around and LTT is probably going to be left out of my top 5 news sources, especially since Level1Tech is a thing now.  I know LMG is shooting for a more fun oriented set of videos, but quite literally I'd have to go back several weeks before I found a video of a new product being launched, or something that is actually educational.  As a PCMR member, I'm just clinging onto LMG and LTT as some hope that after Linus is done making babies he will come back and grab a hold of this ship and set it right.

The point I'm getting to here is I hope LMG realizes sooner rather than later who it is that got them to the 1000000 subscriber mark.  Its not the average person, its this subset of PCMR people, nerds, and gamers who want to learn and be educated.  Not just a bunch of teenagers that want something funny to show their friends.

Please spend as much time writing your question, as you want me to spend responding to it.  Take some time, and explain your issue, please!

Spoiler

If you need to learn how to install Windows, check here:  http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/324871-guide-how-to-install-windows-the-right-way/

Event Viewer 101: https://youtu.be/GiF9N3fJbnE

Yeah, I'd rather see a video every other day if it meant higher quality content. This video is representative of what we do NOT want to see and it was disappointing to see such an extremely clickbait video from LTT. 

On the bright side, at least your marketing is on point even if your content is suffering... 

A society's accepted views of the world surrounding said society is both the making and undoing of society itself.
“While one person hesitates because he feels inferior, the other is busy making mistakes and becoming superior.” - Henry C. Link

... But...

Why is there water in the thumbnail?

People have already said that it's stupid, and they're right, but we still don't know what the thought process was behind it.

Was it just blatant dishonesty to get clicks? Or was someone just not thinking?

"Do as I say, not as I do."

-Because you actually care if it makes sense.

6 minutes ago, Dash Lambda said:

... But...

Why is there water in the thumbnail?

People have already said that it's stupid, and they're right, but we still don't know what the thought process was behind it.

Was it just blatant dishonesty to get clicks? Or was someone just not thinking?

I'm 99% for certain it is blatant dishonesty.

Please spend as much time writing your question, as you want me to spend responding to it.  Take some time, and explain your issue, please!

Spoiler

If you need to learn how to install Windows, check here:  http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/324871-guide-how-to-install-windows-the-right-way/

Event Viewer 101: https://youtu.be/GiF9N3fJbnE

39 minutes ago, JefferyD90 said:

You know, I've kept my mouth shut about the decline of LTT for a long time simply because this forum is one of the most user friendly forums out there...  But this is the most click bait title I've EVER seen and it is the SAME video they made 3 years ago.  Quite literally shows no one anything we didn't already know and really felt like a blank video just to advertise 3 different spots...  Not only that, it is showing newbs that they can just transfer drives from system to system without knowing what to do with drivers and installations... This gives me more of a mess to clean up than it ever helps fix.  I'm legit kinda upset at this video and really tired of LTT's latest conceitedly assertive and dogmatic points of view that are just simply, for lack of a better word, unhelpful to really anyone.  A new person in computers would watch this and almost instantly brick their computer because they're swapping out HDDs and SSD's without doing any of the things otherwise, and someone educated about computers looks at this and cringes.  And people in the middle are either so laid back they're not going to do anything at all, or they're so gung-ho they've already messed up 100 different computers to get one game to play.

I'm really disappointed here.  CES coverage had better be BALLIN and this had better just been a "filler" content to meet their 1 video per day thing.  If not, there is a great chance that I'll probably quit watching LTT all together, I'm already starting to tune out to the point where I only watch 2-3 videos a week anyways.

EDIT:  I want to make 2 more points that weigh in on my heart heavily as a LTT Community member (I mean hell I've been around for years and have thousands of post) and as a PCMR advocate.

1.  As a LTT Community Member I think LMG is quite literally defining a shill right in front of our eyes.  Just looking at this thread, not a single person has said how happy they are with the content.  Everyone is upset with it, and this has been common place for about the past 2-3 months and the response we're getting is "its what YouTube likes to see".  Who in the hell cares about YouTube and its millions of minions?  Even Linus, Luke, and Taren have all said on the WAN show that they don't even look at YouTube comments anymore.  So LMG as a company, and Linus as a individual, are going to not pay attention to a group of people (virtually at all) they they're going to market and build content for these people?  It is QUITE LITTERALLY the exact definition of a sell out.  These videos reflect more than just Linus's opinion, it reflects on me and other community members.  If someone would have asked me 2 years ago if I was a member of LTT Community, I'd say: "Hell yea, come join us on our LTT Star Citizen group."  But now I cant say that, I'd actually probably be ashamed and embarrassed to say that I'm a member of this community that is lead by these types of videos and content.  Not to include reporting and news inaccuracies.  (And to anyone that says, "Oh their not computer scientist" or anything like that, I say that ignorance has NEVER been a excuse for false advertising, inaccurate news reporting, or any other shady activities.)

2. As a PCMR member, I'm starting to shun LTT as a invalid source of getting any news.  I personally, look at PCMR as something like the NFL and LTT as something like a team of the NFL.  And I'm getting ready to restructure the divisions around and LTT is probably going to be left out of my top 5 news sources, especially since Level1Tech is a thing now.  I know LMG is shooting for a more fun oriented set of videos, but quite literally I'd have to go back several weeks before I found a video of a new product being launched, or something that is actually educational.  As a PCMR member, I'm just clinging onto LMG and LTT as some hope that after Linus is done making babies he will come back and grab a hold of this ship and set it right.

The point I'm getting to here is I hope LMG realizes sooner rather than later who it is that got them to the 1000000 subscriber mark.  Its not the average person, its this subset of PCMR people, nerds, and gamers who want to learn and be educated.  Not just a bunch of teenagers that want something funny to show their friends.

Could not agree with you more. I am a fairly recent subscriber (only 5 months), but I've watched their older videos (whole room water-cooling, build guides, mineral oil PC, scrapyard wars,) and they all were very entertaining, and often educational as well. They are less scripted, and they feel more personal. Now all I see are very general and shallow reviews, and the new content has very little value for a lot of us at home. Like you said, none of the proper procedures in switching an HDD to an SSD is shown.

Hopefully they can start looking past the rapid video schedule and clickbait and start to produce quality content again, even if it means less frequent videos.

i5-6600K @ 4.5 GHz |I| Hyper 212 EVO |I| ASUS STRIX Z270E |I| 8 GB DDR4 HyperX FURY
GTX 1060 Windforce OC 6GB @ 2088 MHz
DEEPCOOL TESSERACT WH |I| EVGA 500 W1 80+
1TB 7200rpm HDD |I| 120GB SSD
GN246HL 144Hz 1080p

Corsair K70 LUX RGB |I| Corsair M65 Pro RGB
PCPP: https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/b/DHzYcf

14 hours ago, SamStrecker said:

Who is making these thumbnails now? Did the marketing side of Nick figure out photo shopped thumbnails bring in more people?

My issue with these thumbnails is that I'vemissed every single one of them, I automatically process "those kinds" of thumbnails as spam/something not interesting and skip them. I'd also like to see the old thumbnail style back.

no idea what to put here

I think for the first time since im watching this channels content, even when considering the hosts that were not as mature, back in 2013/2014 (experience i mean), this video thumbnail, title and overhaul quality have fallen quite low... doesnt even look like an Ltt video!

My opinion and apparently a whole lot of other users too, so no need to judge.

Groomlake Authority

1 hour ago, JefferyD90 said:

CES coverage had better be BALLIN and this had better just been a "filler" content to meet their 1 video per day thing

If they needed filler content, there are much better alternatives than swapping the storage drive on an old laptop. While I would argue that the VLOG below could be considered filler content, it is at least more interesting than this one