Botched Microsoft update knocks Windows 8, 10 PCs offline – regardless of ISP

Ole Shae

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2016/12/12/ongoing_windows_8_10_dhcp_problems_affecting_all_isps/

A broken software update for Windows 8 and 10 is knackering internet connectivity for users of several ISPs in the UK, Europe and quite likely beyond.

Virgin Media in Blighty is the latest provider to confirm the dodgy code is knocking a number of its customers offline. Proximus in Belgium also says a Windows 10 update is breaking network access.

The problem emerged last week, when BT and Plusnet in the UK admitted that computers running Microsoft's latest patches are losing network connectivity due to what appears to be a problem with their Dynamic Host Configuration Protocol (DHCP) clients.

Essentially, the PCs cannot automatically pick up their LAN-side IP address, router address and DNS settings from their broadband routers, causing them to drop off the internet and disappear from other devices on their network.

This happens regardless of ISP and broadband box, and is understood to be caused by a bad automatically installed Windows Update patch. If you configure your box to use static addresses, you should be OK, or you can run the following the commands to reset the operating system's networking components:       

netsh winsock reset catalog
netsh int ipv4 reset reset.log

In a message to subscribers on Sunday, Virgin Media advised that some Windows 10 users were experiencing difficulty connecting to the internet after installing the latest update.

"Microsoft are aware and investigating," it said.

One reader, Adam Comben, got in touch with The Register to report: "We run a retail repair shop and have seen around 25 instances of this since Thursday. It doesn’t matter what ISP or router they’ve been using – we’ve had TalkTalk, BT, Plusnet, Sky, you name it. All with the same problem, they will not obtain an IP via DHCP."

He said the issue is definitely a DHCP problem caused by a broken Windows Update, "although we’ve not been able to identify the cause, it’s an extremely quick fix."

He added: "It’s caused a great deal of disruption for our business customers as it required a site visit for those we couldn’t talk through it on the phone."

The cause of the bug is so far unclear, although Plusnet has blamed an unspecified “third-party update”. The main issue appears to be a recent Windows Update release – but it is hard to tell which one is at fault because Redmond is so secretive about exactly what's inside each upgrade bundle.

The Register has repeatedly asked Microsoft for an explanation. The software giant has remained silent. ®

so far I have not ran into this problem however there is a fix for this now provided in the article

Edited by Blade of Grass
Fixed for night theme

Had that problem recently, (might be because of Windows Update) and the first thing I did was the netsh winsock reset stuff. Guess it wasn't just me who had a similar problem.

3 minutes ago, dragosudeki said:

Had that problem recently, (might be because of Windows Update) and the first thing I did was the netsh winsock reset stuff. Guess it wasn't just me who had a similar problem.

im just glad that i know about this before I have encountered this issue at work 

might be update KB3200970, had the same problem, removed the update and everything was fine, when I tried to check microsoft's site about information they gave me a 404 page thou so I don't know.

May the light have your back and your ISO low.

1 minute ago, Bsmith said:

might be update KB3200970, had the same problem, removed the update and everything was fine, when I tried to check microsoft's site about information they gave me a 404 page thou so I don't know.

i assume that they are trying to do a quiet fix for it 

2 minutes ago, Ole Shae said:

i assume that they are trying to do a quiet fix for it 

sounds like something microsoft would do these days yeah, fuck up a big amount of the userbase and then try to solve it silently.

May the light have your back and your ISO low.

I've had a bunch of clients come in with this. IPCONFIG has been totally useless, and the main fix has been to reset policies. This was obviously before we knew it was a Windows update. x5 PCs in one day was very weird.

Accidents happen. This isn't occurring on all PCs, so I doubt it's 100% OS software. It could be driver conflict or compatibility with hardware. I don't think Microsoft is going to "silently" fix this issue. They pulled the update. They will probably fix it and re-release something similar. I don't blame it on Microsoft. With a large enough client base, you're going to get issues occasionally. I have 3 PCs in my house, all got the update, and I've had 0 internet issues.

My desktop updated a few days ago, so far it still has internet. Don't know if it has installed that update or not.

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list

Another day, another Microsoft bug.

In other news...

what is funny is I was just joking today with my partner that Microsoft doesn't test its update, mint for example rates updates from 1-5, one being the most stable.

I am so glad I have ditched this train wreck of an OS.

¸„»°'´¸„»°'´ Vorticalbox `'°«„¸`'°«„¸
`'°«„¸¸„»°'´¸„»°'´`'°«„¸Scientia Potentia est  ¸„»°'´`'°«„¸`'°«„¸¸„»°'´

As a tier 2 at an ISP I can confirm this. Since Thursday we have been receiving 15-20 calls per day of "my internet dont work"...release/renew fixes this. I knew this wasnt just all a coincidence. 

Windows 7 wins again, thanks microsoft for continuing to validate my life choices though I'd have blocked the updates if I switched over.

https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/631048-psu-tier-list-updated/ Tier Breakdown (My understanding)--1 Godly, 2 Great, 3 Good, 4 Average, 5 Meh, 6 Bad, 7 Awful

53 minutes ago, Ole Shae said:

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2016/12/12/ongoing_windows_8_10_dhcp_problems_affecting_all_isps/

so far I have not ran into this problem however there is a fix for this now provided in the article

This bug has been around for a LOOOOOONG time. I cannot tell you how many hours I've spent trying to figure out why my internet wasn't working when everyone else's was.

It's one of the reasons why I switched back to Linux.

My procrastination is the bane of my existence.

I make games and stuff in my spare time.

I have been doing well to keep my update service disabled then.

We have a NEW and GLORIOUSER-ER-ER PSU Tier List Now. (dammit @LukeSavenije stop coming up with new ones)

You can check out the old one that gave joy to so many across the land here

Computer having a hard time powering on? Troubleshoot it with this guide. (Currently looking for suggestions to update it into the context of <current year> and make it its own thread)

Computer Specs:

Spoiler

Mathresolvermajig: Intel Xeon E3 1240 (Sandy Bridge i7 equivalent)

Chillinmachine: Noctua NH-C14S
Framepainting-inator: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2 Hybrid

Attachcorethingy: Gigabyte H61M-S2V-B3

Infoholdstick: Corsair 2x4GB DDR3 1333

Computerarmor: Silverstone RL06 "Lookalike"

Rememberdoogle: 1TB HDD + 120GB TR150 + 240 SSD Plus + 1TB MX500

AdditionalPylons: Phanteks AMP! 550W (based on Seasonic GX-550)

Letterpad: Rosewill Apollo 9100 (Cherry MX Red)

Buttonrodent: Razer Viper Mini + Huion H430P drawing Tablet

Auralnterface: Sennheiser HD 6xx

Liquidrectangles: LG 27UK850-W 4K HDR

17 minutes ago, Energycore said:

I have been doing well to keep my update service disabled then.

i know for a fact that i will have someone come in to my store with this problem its just a matter of time 

I had this on my laptop... Reinstalled the network adapter in device manager and it's fixed. I wonder how the affected will receive the automatic fix from Microsoft without internet 9_9

CPU: Intel i7 3970X @ 4.7 GHz  (custom loop)   RAM: Kingston 1866 MHz 32GB DDR3   GPU(s): 2x Gigabyte R9 290OC (custom loop)   Motherboard: Asus P9X79   

Case: Fractal Design R3    Cooling loop:  360 mm + 480 mm + 1080 mm,  tripple 5D Vario pump   Storage: 500 GB + 240 GB + 120 GB SSD,  Seagate 4 TB HDD

PSU: Corsair AX860i   Display(s): Asus PB278Q,  Asus VE247H   Input: QPad 5K,  Logitech G710+    Sound: uDAC3 + Philips Fidelio x2

HWBot: http://hwbot.org/user/tame/

1 hour ago, SCHISCHKA said:

Yep iv always been a static IP fanboy. There's going to be a lot of confused and angry people over the age of thirty from this.

So apparently people under the age of 30 come out of the womb knowing how to set a static IP address? LOL

It's got nothing to do with age, it's about whether people are interested enough in computers, and networking in particular TBH... some people that work with computers still wouldn't know jack all about netwrok settings etc, they just know how to render images and use photoshop etc as that's what they're interested in and make a living from.

I personally was in college 22 years ago doing computing/IT, and still learnt all my limited knowledge of networking and hardware etc myself and with friends. We used to play Doom/2 and Command and Conquer in LAN parties at each others houses with one of the PCs acting as the server/Host. The internet was still being born at that stage, so most netoworking we knew was just about connecting to other PCs on the colleges network/home networks and sending brief messages etc. I was never interested in networking much back then as it was very rudimentary from my point of view and had limited uses. Now I am more interested, and have learnt a fair bit, but still only relating to my needs, as most people that don't do networking as a job will never need to know a lot of it.

But really setting a static IP address is very low level and can be taught within like 2 minutes, I taught most of my family and friends to do this years ago, just to stop stupid DHCP problems from cropping up on their network.

Please quote my post, or put @paddy-stone if you want me to respond to you.

Spoiler
  • PCs:- 
  • Main PC build  https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/2K6Q7X
  • ASUS x53e  - i7 2670QM / Sony BD writer x8 / Win 10, Elemetary OS, Ubuntu/ Samsung 830 SSD
  • Lenovo G50 - 8Gb RAM - Samsung 860 Evo 250GB SSD - DVD writer
  •  
  • Displays:-
  • Philips 55 OLED 754 model
  • Panasonic 55" 4k TV
  • LG 29" Ultrawide
  • Philips 24" 1080p monitor as backup
  •  
  • Storage/NAS/Servers:-
  • ESXI/test build  https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/4wyR9G
  • Main Server https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/3Qftyk
  • Backup server - HP Proliant Gen 8 4 bay NAS running FreeNAS ZFS striped 3x3TiB WD reds
  • HP ProLiant G6 Server SE316M1 Twin Hex Core Intel Xeon E5645 2.40GHz 48GB RAM
  •  
  • Gaming/Tablets etc:-
  • Xbox One S 500GB + 2TB HDD
  • PS4
  • Nvidia Shield TV
  • Xiaomi/Pocafone F2 pro 8GB/256GB
  • Xiaomi Redmi Note 4

• Unused Hardware currently :-
  • 4670K MSI mobo 16GB ram
  • i7 6700K  b250 mobo
  • Zotac GTX 1060 6GB Amp! edition
  • Zotac GTX 1050 mini

1 hour ago, UnbrokenMotion said:

This bug has been around for a LOOOOOONG time. I cannot tell you how many hours I've spent trying to figure out why my internet wasn't working when everyone else's was.

It's one of the reasons why I switched back to Linux.

Just having a static IP address would stop this from happening in the first place, no need to switch to linux because of it. Although having linux as a secondary boot could be useful :)

Please quote my post, or put @paddy-stone if you want me to respond to you.

Spoiler
  • PCs:- 
  • Main PC build  https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/2K6Q7X
  • ASUS x53e  - i7 2670QM / Sony BD writer x8 / Win 10, Elemetary OS, Ubuntu/ Samsung 830 SSD
  • Lenovo G50 - 8Gb RAM - Samsung 860 Evo 250GB SSD - DVD writer
  •  
  • Displays:-
  • Philips 55 OLED 754 model
  • Panasonic 55" 4k TV
  • LG 29" Ultrawide
  • Philips 24" 1080p monitor as backup
  •  
  • Storage/NAS/Servers:-
  • ESXI/test build  https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/4wyR9G
  • Main Server https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/3Qftyk
  • Backup server - HP Proliant Gen 8 4 bay NAS running FreeNAS ZFS striped 3x3TiB WD reds
  • HP ProLiant G6 Server SE316M1 Twin Hex Core Intel Xeon E5645 2.40GHz 48GB RAM
  •  
  • Gaming/Tablets etc:-
  • Xbox One S 500GB + 2TB HDD
  • PS4
  • Nvidia Shield TV
  • Xiaomi/Pocafone F2 pro 8GB/256GB
  • Xiaomi Redmi Note 4

• Unused Hardware currently :-
  • 4670K MSI mobo 16GB ram
  • i7 6700K  b250 mobo
  • Zotac GTX 1060 6GB Amp! edition
  • Zotac GTX 1050 mini

49 minutes ago, paddy-stone said:

Just having a static IP address would stop this from happening in the first place, no need to switch to linux because of it. Although having linux as a secondary boot could be useful :)

Like I said, that wasn't my only reason for switching. Plus it's not like i'm losing anything in my use case, with Wine I'm still able to run the few programs I use that don't have a Linux port.

My procrastination is the bane of my existence.

I make games and stuff in my spare time.

If they only had a testing department

#Barnacules

Intel 4670K /w TT water 2.0 performer, GTX 1070FE, Gigabyte Z87X-DH3, Corsair HX750, 16GB Mushkin 1333mhz, Fractal R4 Windowed, Varmilo mint TKL, Logitech m310, HP Pavilion 23bw, Logitech 2.1 Speakers

10 minutes ago, Yoinkerman said:

If they only had a testing department

#Barnacules

Not everyone is experiencing it. Testing with a handful of people it might of never came up. Hell, it could only be affecting certain, network cards, mobos, driver versions... Its the draw back when developing for thousands of different hardware configurations.