Windows 10 Redstone 2 Launch date

Source: http://wccftech.com/microsoft-refers-windows-10-rs2-version-1703/

Microsoft hints at "build 1703" as Microsoft Redstone 2. There are also rumors of a launch date sometime around March or April of 2017.

My question to the forum:

Would you upgrade?

Edited by dkspooder

i5-12600k, 3090 Gaming X Trio

We'll settle this the old navy way: First guy to die, LOSES!

March 2017 - the second wave of broken pcs because of a windows update

Computer Case: NZXT S340 || CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 1600 || Cooler: CM Hyper212 Evo || MoBo: MSI B350 Mortar || RAM Vengeance LPX 2x8GB 3200MHz || PSU: Corsair CX600 || SSD: HyperX Fury 120GB & 240GB || HDD: WD Blue 1TB + 1TB 2.5'' backup drive || GPU: Sapphire Nitro+ RX 580 4GB

Laptop 1 HP x360 13-u113nl

Laptop Lenovo z50-75 with AMD FX-7500 || OS: Windows 10 / Ubuntu 17.04

DSLR Nikon D5300 w/ 18-105mm lens

2 minutes ago, Cryosec said:

I wouldn't be surprised about a second round of lawsuits as well.

5 minutes ago, Cryosec said:

am i the only one thats basically only seen improvements in windows 10?...

anyway im upgradeing as long as its free basically, but not before i see some content on it.

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

Just now, Bananasplit_00 said:

anyway im upgradeing as long as its free basically, but not before i see some content on it.

I do see improvements, but when my pc updated to Redstone it just went FUBAR on me. Some days ago I updated the ethernet driver and my PC wouldn't boot anymore (only BSODs at every boot). I clean installed win10 on the SSD and all the problems I had just went away. So, Win10 is good, but the update process fucks up everything

Computer Case: NZXT S340 || CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 1600 || Cooler: CM Hyper212 Evo || MoBo: MSI B350 Mortar || RAM Vengeance LPX 2x8GB 3200MHz || PSU: Corsair CX600 || SSD: HyperX Fury 120GB & 240GB || HDD: WD Blue 1TB + 1TB 2.5'' backup drive || GPU: Sapphire Nitro+ RX 580 4GB

1 minute ago, Cryosec said:

I do see improvements, but when my pc updated to Redstone it just went FUBAR on me. Some days ago I updated the ethernet driver and my PC wouldn't boot anymore (only BSODs at every boot). I clean installed win10 on the SSD and all the problems I had just went away. So, Win10 is good, but the update process fucks up everything

wow... only problem i have is that it turns off after i leve it for 10mins because it thinks im inactive and therefor decides to update :/ there should be a fix for that but i havent gotten screwed hard enough to bother with it

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

Just now, Cryosec said:

The update process fucks up everything

At least since the licence is tied to my Microsoft account, so I can reinstall when I need to. 

I am still on build 1151.

No upgrade was downloaded yet. Not that I really care.

6 minutes ago, Bananasplit_00 said:

i dont see any?

i personaly see more crap then improvements tbh.

1 minute ago, dkspooder said:

At least since the licence is tied to my Microsoft account, so I can reinstall when I need to. 

What if with every update you had to reinstall windows, with all the software installed on the same partition? This is quite annoying, at least for me, because I have Lightroom, Android Studio, and Visual Studio on that SSD (for speed reasons). Visual studio needs to download 30+GB every time I have to reinstall it after a clean os install.

10 minutes ago, Bananasplit_00 said:

No, I really like windows 10 too.

M1 MacBook Air 256/8 | iPhone 13 pro

10 minutes ago, Himommies said:

Why redstone is it because minecraft

I HIGHLY doubt it as redstone could be so many other things than a reference to something is a video game.

oi. my brain... *temple rub*

[FS][US] Corsair H115i 280mm AIO-AMD $60+shipping

System specs:
Asus Prime X370 Pro - Custom EKWB CPU/GPU 2x360 1x240 soft loop - Ryzen 1700X - Corsair Vengeance RGB 2x16GB - Plextor 512 NVMe + 2TB SU800 - EVGA GTX1080ti - LianLi PC11 Dynamic

4 minutes ago, Cryosec said:

Visual studio needs to download 30+GB every time I have to reinstall it after a clean os install.

Perhaps a ploy by Microsoft to get more stats on user downloads?

5 minutes ago, Cryosec said:

What if with every update you had to reinstall windows, with all the software installed on the same partition? This is quite annoying, at least for me, because I have Lightroom, Android Studio, and Visual Studio on that SSD (for speed reasons). Visual studio needs to download 30+GB every time I have to reinstall it after a clean os install.

Make a backup image of your disk(s) and install the image if/when the computer goes titsup :)

Please quote my post, or put @paddy-stone if you want me to respond to you.

Spoiler
  • PCs:- 
  • Main PC build  https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/2K6Q7X
  • ASUS x53e  - i7 2670QM / Sony BD writer x8 / Win 10, Elemetary OS, Ubuntu/ Samsung 830 SSD
  • Lenovo G50 - 8Gb RAM - Samsung 860 Evo 250GB SSD - DVD writer
  •  
  • Displays:-
  • Philips 55 OLED 754 model
  • Panasonic 55" 4k TV
  • LG 29" Ultrawide
  • Philips 24" 1080p monitor as backup
  •  
  • Storage/NAS/Servers:-
  • ESXI/test build  https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/4wyR9G
  • Main Server https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/3Qftyk
  • Backup server - HP Proliant Gen 8 4 bay NAS running FreeNAS ZFS striped 3x3TiB WD reds
  • HP ProLiant G6 Server SE316M1 Twin Hex Core Intel Xeon E5645 2.40GHz 48GB RAM
  •  
  • Gaming/Tablets etc:-
  • Xbox One S 500GB + 2TB HDD
  • PS4
  • Nvidia Shield TV
  • Xiaomi/Pocafone F2 pro 8GB/256GB
  • Xiaomi Redmi Note 4

• Unused Hardware currently :-
  • 4670K MSI mobo 16GB ram
  • i7 6700K  b250 mobo
  • Zotac GTX 1060 6GB Amp! edition
  • Zotac GTX 1050 mini

11 minutes ago, Bananasplit_00 said:

I really like windows 10. I can see some key improvements, it is not compatible with any of the work software so I don't have to do any work from home anymore.

I also haven't had a clear week of the system being stable since the anniversary update, so I get to spend a lot of time diagnosing issues that I otherwise wouldn't need to.

These new features are a lot of fun.

Fortunately, they are in the process of migrating to windows 10 at work as well, so soon I will have a lot less work to do and will get to have a lot more fun.

1 minute ago, dkspooder said:

Perhaps a ploy by Microsoft to get more stats on user downloads?

perhaps it is :D 

2 minutes ago, paddy-stone said:

Make a backup image of your disk(s) and install the image if/when the computer goes titsup :)

I was thinking about doing this, but it was after the redstone fuckup. Now that it's clean, I think I'll be doing it soon

I like their update pace. They just need to make sure about polish too, specially cause of insider builds. Also nice thing about svchost.exe too.

I'd like to see more control about certain parts also so hopefully it happens.

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

I make a backup every time I ahve a new system that has had all the drivers/updates and regular used programs installed... takes about 5-10 mins is all. At least that way you can save yourself a few hours from having to re-install that lot. If memory serves me correctly imaging a disk with the program I use takes approx 20-30 mins maybe. Haven't done it in a while, but like to have the images handy just in case... everything like important files/pictures etc gets backed up a few times a day anyway, so won't lose much there if/when it happens again :)

Spoiler
  • ASUS x53e  - i7 2670QM / Sony BD writer x8 / Win 10, Elemetary OS, Ubuntu/ Samsung 830 SSD
  •  
  • Panasonic 55" 4k TV
  • LG 29" Ultrawide
  •  
  • Backup server - HP Proliant Gen 8 4 bay NAS running FreeNAS ZFS striped 3x3TiB WD reds
  •  
  • PS4
  • Nvidia Shield TV
  • Xiaomi Redmi Note 4

• i7 6700K  b250 mobo
  • Zotac GTX 1050 mini

11 minutes ago, paddy-stone said:

-snip-

what program do you use? 

aomei backupper... http://www.backup-utility.com/free-backup-software.html

You would have to create a bootable cd/dvd/USB to "load" the image you want after a fail/unrecoverable error etc, and obviously have somewhere "safe" to keep your image(s).. but you'd have to do that with any decent backup program. It works well for me and has a nice clean simplistic GUI to use.

Spoiler
  •  
  • Panasonic 55" 4k TV
  • LG 29" Ultrawide
  •  
  •  
  • PS4
  • Nvidia Shield TV
  • Xiaomi Redmi Note 4

• i7 6700K  b250 mobo
  • Zotac GTX 1050 mini

4 minutes ago, Cryosec said:

what program do you use? 

Dammit - sorry forgot to quote in previous.

Spoiler
  •  
  • Panasonic 55" 4k TV
  • LG 29" Ultrawide
  •  
  •  
  • PS4
  • Nvidia Shield TV
  • Xiaomi Redmi Note 4

• i7 6700K  b250 mobo
  • Zotac GTX 1050 mini

16 minutes ago, paddy-stone said:

aomei backupper... http://www.backup-utility.com/free-backup-software.html

You would have to create a bootable cd/dvd/USB to "load" the image you want after a fail/unrecoverable error etc, and obviously have somewhere "safe" to keep your image(s).. but you'd have to do that with any decent backup program. It works well for me and has a nice clean simplistic GUI to use.

I'm never short on USB drives :D and I recently bought a sata3 to usb 3 case for 2.5'' drives, so I could finally take out of my pc the backup drive I cannibalized from my laptop (which got a new SSD)