What was your first computer?

xserd

Mine: 

AMD FX-8150 

8 GB RAM

2 TB HDD 

HD Radeon 7770 

MSI G77-970A motherboard 

All for a reasonable $900 but I didn't know what I was doing.  I ended up giving it to my younger brother and getting my i7 system 6 months later. 

How about you just post this stuff in the "Show Off Your Setup" thread.

QUOTE ME OR I PROBABLY WON'T SEE YOUR RESPONSE 

My Setup:

Desktop

Spoiler

CPU: Ryzen 9 3900X  CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15  Motherboard: Asus Prime X370-PRO  RAM: 32GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 @3200MHz  GPU: EVGA RTX 2080 FTW3 ULTRA (+50 core +400 memory)  Storage: 1050GB Crucial MX300, 1TB Crucial MX500  PSU: EVGA Supernova 750 P2  Chassis: NZXT Noctis 450 White/Blue OS: Windows 10 Professional  Displays: Asus MG279Q FreeSync OC, LG 27GL850-B

Main Laptop:

Spoiler

Laptop: Sager NP 8678-S  CPU: Intel Core i7 6820HK @ 2.7GHz  RAM: 32GB DDR4 @ 2133MHz  GPU: GTX 980m 8GB  Storage: 250GB Samsung 850 EVO M.2 + 1TB Samsung 850 Pro + 1TB 7200RPM HGST HDD  OS: Windows 10 Pro  Chassis: Clevo P670RG  Audio: HyperX Cloud II Gunmetal, Audio Technica ATH-M50s, JBL Creature II

Thinkpad T420:

Spoiler

CPU: i5 2520M  RAM: 8GB DDR3  Storage: 275GB Crucial MX30

My first build was like 17 years ago, and all I remember about it was it had an AMD K6 200MHz CPU, 32MB of SDRAM, a 500 GB hard drive, and a CD-ROM (can't remember the video card, think the board was an Asus), and it cost half the price of prebuilts that it was way way more powerful than. K6 was the first really great AMD CPU (AMD's CPU division used to be as awesome as their GPU division is now).

My first ever build

CASE : Enermax Ostrog

CPU : FX-6300 @ 3.8 GHZ

MOBO M5A97 LE R2.0

GPU : R9 270 ( OC'ed)

RAM : Patriot 8gb gaming ram

STORAGE : Western Digital Green 2TB

PSU : 600 W TR2 V.3 ThermalTake

NEVER GIVE UP. NEVER STOP LEARNING. DONT LET THE PAST HURT YOU. YOU CAN DOOOOO IT

Intel Core i5 4670k

Cooler master 212 Evo

MSI z87 g45 gaming edition motherboard

G.skill Ripjaw X series 8gb 1866 ddr3

1tb western digital 7200 HDD

MSI Geforce GTX 770 2gb Gaming Edition

Raidmax Seiran Blue/White Edition

Rosewill Capstone 80+ gold PSU

last February

Mine was:

CPU:  A6 6400k 3.9ghz turbo 4.1

Mobo: gigabyte GA-F2a88Xm-ds2

RAM: 8gb G-skill 2133

Power supply: Cool master 500watt

HHD: 500gb and 120gb ssd

Gpu: Asus HD6670 2GB ddr 3

Case: Avp Defender

Dvd Drive:n/a

I wanted to see the whole dual graphics thing in person, yes it's true it sucks haha. Still love apu's though :)

I'll admit it, i am an Apple fan . I own every iThing: iMac, iPad, iPhone, iPod, iPoop... but I always wanted something else, something that I could have instead of an xbone or a PS4. And suddenly it hit me, that I could build a custom PC for a fraction of the price of one you can get from big manufacturers (read: Alienware). So I searched the Youtubes for help, and stumbled with LinusTechTips, and here I am, a month later with a bad ass custom gaming PC on a budget.It has the following specifications:

CPU: Intel Pentium G3258 at stock clock speed (no water cooling in stock)

MB: Gigabyte Z97MX-Gaming 5

GFX: Gigabyte Windforce GTX 970 (I would have gone with the G1 Gaming but it was out of stock)

PSU: Corsair RM750 (for future expansion and overclocking)

Memory: 8GB of dual channel Hyper X Fury at 1600MHz  

HDD: 320GB Fujitsu laptop HDD I had lying around

Case: Corsair Carbide Series SPEC-02

I haven't bought monitor for it yet, but it looks good at 1080p 60Hz on my Sony HDTV.

It runs games really nicely, and I just invested around $12,000 MXN including taxes (about $820 USD).

Sorry for bad quality smartphone photos

post-169074-0-50593800-1418537262_thumb.

post-169074-0-44425300-1418537128_thumb.

post-169074-0-95788000-1418537145_thumb.

post-169074-0-99826700-1418537167_thumb.

ZamoRIG 2.0:

Processor: AMD Ryzen 7 1700 @ 3.9GHz

Cooling: DeepCool Captain 240 RGB + 2x Corsair ML120 fans

Graphics Card: Gigabyte GTX 1070 G1 Gaming x2 

Motherboard: Asrock X370 Gaming K4 

RAM: 2x8GB DDR4 G Skill Ripjaws V Grey @ 2800MHz 

SSDs: 2xPatriot Ignite M.2 240GB

HDD: WD Black 1TB + WD Green 2TB

PSU: Corsair RM750

Case: Corsair Carbide 400C

ZamoRIG “Portable”:

Processor: AMD Ryzen 5 1600 @ 4GHz

Cooling: Corsair H80i 

Graphics Card: Gigabyte GTX 1070 G1 Gaming 

Motherboard: Gigabyte AB350N Gaming WiFi

RAM: 1x16GB DDR4 Corsair Vengance  @ 2400MHz 

SSD: Patriot Ignite M.2 240GB 

HDD: 2TB 2.5” Seagate HDD 

PSU: Corsair TX650M 

Case: Siverstone SG13

Thermaltake level 10gt

Asus cross hair v formula

Amd fx 8150

Radeon HD 7870

16gb corsair vengeance

1200watt kingwin PSU (overkill I know)

Thermal take water 2.0 pro

Bluray/lightscribe writer

Ocz vertex 60gb sad

320 GB hard drive

I went all out for my first build ever and when I was installing the water cooler I dropped the screw driver, and broke the mono and one ram stick. All I could do was laugh and save up more money. Also It took me 4months to save up the first time.

Current rig is first rig, M8. 

Intel 4330 (i3)

Asus Radeon HD 7770

Gigabyte udh3 MOBO or somthing like that...

WD Black 1tb

8gb or Corsair Vengence ddr3 ram (1600mhz)

Bitfenix Prodigy M Black...

(By the way don't buy a Bitfenix Prodigy M.... The prodigy is fine but the prodigy m is kinda crappy from my own experience...)

The first PC that I've ever built is the one that I am currently using.

It used to have a GTX 780 SC from EVGA and 8GBs of ram, but I've since upgraded to two GTX 970s from Gigabyte and 16GBs of ram; everything else has remained the same.

Specs are in my signature.

MY CURRENT PC

CPU: Intel Core i7-4770k COOLER: Noctua NH-D14 MOBO: MSI Z87-GD65 Gaming ATX RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 16GB DDR3-1600 STORAGE: Samsung 840 EVO 120GB SSD and Seagate Barracuda 1TB 7200RPM HHD GPU: Gigabyte G1 Gaming GTX 970 SLI CASE: Fractal Design R4 PSU: EVGA 1000W 80+ Gold 
PERIPHERALS - KEYBOARD: Corsair Vengeance K70 w/ Cherry MX Browns MOUSE: Logitech G500/M100 MONITOR(S): Acer H236HLbid (I want an Asus PB278Q) SPEAKERS: Some Cyber Acoustics $10 speakers PICTURES AND FULL PARTS LIST @ PCPARTPICKER - http://pcpartpicker.com/b/z4Pscf  

"Don't get so caught up in trying to make a living that you forget to make a life."

• 3 weeks later...

Well this is not my first, but the first i had which was properly capable and high end.

This contains very old stuff i did years back, so it may seem a bit out of place.

This was my first serious gaming build which originally started out with a cheap power supply and a 5770, i shall delve deep after i show you all 2 screens of the rig in it's present day state.

r5nLbwK.jpg

6C0yE6G.jpg

Now, i bought all the parts originally just before i was leaving the armed forces, so really was a sort of leaving gift to myself... something of remembrance (hard to explain)

Well, in the system at first.

AMD Phenom II x4 955 BE

4GB Geil Black Dragon DDR3 1600mhz

MSI 790FX-GD70

ATi Radeon 5770 (sapphire)

Evo Labs 750 watt 80 plus PSU

A hard drive (forgotten)

Anyway... i built this rig, and i get to the OS and what not, i install ATi drivers, and i then restart the PC.
Upon the windows 7 start up screen, i get pink and green lines all over the place, and what looks to be a failing GPU already....
I lost my receipt for the card, so end up selling it for a cheap price...

Now i have no GPU, so i wonder off out to CEX (British trade in place for all sorts of stuff including PC parts)

At this point i was not as knowledgable about GPU's as i am now, and saw this Nvidia 9800 GTX+, so i go and buy it, all excited because the physical card it's self is a nice looking thing...

Stick it in PC back home, all goes fantastically well, then bam BSOD....

So at this point, i am baffled.... i really do not have that much of a clue about anything at this point, i also had no internet... (used a PC in barracks to order parts to be shipped to home for when i leave)

So i enter the bios.... and from memory.... i cannot remember at all what i did, but my PC never booted again.... (i had no idea you could reset a bios at this point)

So i was thinking.... board is just bad or something, so i search for a motherboard using my phones internet, and buy an ASUS 780G chipset board from amazon.

It arrives...
Blah blah blah, boots PC... all goes well for a change, i have to re-enter my key for the OS, all is good.

So by this point, i have a game running.... all seems ok.

Now, i was not too dimwitted, as i knew what some things were ( i used to buy PC magazines, specifically PC gamer and Custom PC)

So, i now venture to the bios to do some CPU tweakery ( i knew nothing about CPU limits etc, as these never came up in magazines)

I put the CPU to 4.7ghz at 1.78v with whatever cooler i had on the CPU at the time.

Needless to say, it did not boot, and i officially killed the motherboard. (so i thought)

But at this point i was still clueless as to what i did....

So now i just sit there staring at my damn PC thinking..... i am gonna win this (was literally like the battle of an uneducated idiot vs machine)

So i rebuild the PC with the same Phenom II chip and the 790FX back in place.

I decided to get the manual out..............

I learnt what CMOS does, so i reset it and walla, the board actually works!!!!

Ok, the CPU still works... and to this day i have no idea how....

Ok, i am now in the OS back to a standard clock and still getting BSOD's, so i enter the bios on the 790FX, and now i am looking at memory.... as i had read that memory can cause instability.

I messed with 1333mhz settings and 1600mhz settings, they did not fix it, i went over this for hours and hours and hours with no luck, but then deep inside the memory config of MSI's CELL menu, i found the timings section, and all read to spec of the memory kit, but there was one that had no mention on the spec of my kit, this was command rate.... it was at 1T, so i slammed it into 2T..

All swinging and dancing now, no more BSOD's!
YAY!!!

Ok, so later into the life of my machine, i am much more clued up on things, and i also have an internet connection.

Anyway, i learnt the dangers of overvolting a CPU, also the rest of the good stuff to do with overclocking (nothing to do with GPU overclocks)

So, i managed a good 3.6ghz on my Phenom II at the time, and i was not pleased at all, i just wanted more from it.... but if i went higher, it would crash....

So i figured, it must be temperatures... ( i had an AC Freezer 7 pro)...

So i then got a Coolermaster Hyper 212+

I also signed up to Tom's hardware at this point, and searched the whole forum in search of info and what not.

I learnt a tonne of things during my time there, and decided to use it for my own gains...

So i find this AMD overclock club where the best of the best OC's surface for Phenom II chips (stable and insane)

I was aiming for 4ghz, i had it in my head for 4ghz, so that was my goal.

Needless to say, i managed my goal with some painful hours of tweaking and retrying, but the feeling was great!

Here is my validation for a stable 4ghz 24/7 OC (this was a big deal for 45nm AMD chips)

Username 384-bit https://spreadsheets.google.com/pub?key=0Atid2icGx257dFc1MnRteTlMb3VOMy13WklIRWRITXc&hl=es&output=html

As such, i was proud to have my name on the list ( i am a person who is very strong willed in anything i do, and wants to succeed)

So, the Phenom II OC was pretty much done, but i wanted more GPU power, at this point i heard of dedicated physX via a seperate GPU, so i grab a 9800GT, and slap that into the rig along side the main 9800GTX+

Well, it would have been great if the rig failed to boot after i launched batman arkham asylum....

I found that my PSU had popped.....

I went out and bought a Corsair TX650 after reading about cheap power supplies vs ones that are worth every penny.

All was good and power was stable.

Anyway, i had a few idea's as a gift for my bro, so i built a PC for him, almost identical to mine, but with a Foxconn motherboard and a Phenom II x3 720 BE, i decided to give the 9800 GTX+ and 9800 GT combo to him, and upgraded to a 4870 512mb for myself..

This card was TERRIBLE, it stuttered beyond a joke.......

Anyway, i put up with it for as long as i could until i saw a great deal on scan's website (www.scan.co.uk)

GeForce GTX 480 for 170 pounds, now i knew how bad these cards were hot and loud, and also power hungry (according to press and reviews)

The Radeon 5870 1GB which i had hearts for was what i wanted, but at 250 pounds, and being a slower card, it was too hard to swallow, so i went for the 480....

Anyway, this thing was massive when i first saw it... and weighed a lot for a GPU..... (that chunky metal grille biggrin.gif)

So anyway.... i put it in the system, and immediately fired up some games, i was in awe at just how fast this thing was.... i mean going from a 4870 stutter fest to this... WOW

Anyway, i was over the moon with my purchase, albeit it being very hot in summer and being a noise fest (this was due to the size of my room i left my PC in)

Anyyway.... time moves by quickly, and my CPU dies... (no idea of the cause, it just died sadly)

I managed to grab a cheap Phenom II dual core (555 BE) and i managed to unlock all 4 cores absolutely rock stable at standard voltage, i then attempt to OC it, and find that i have landed me a gem... i managed to clock this thing to 4.5ghz on a coolit ECO ALC (i forgot to mention that i upgraded the CPU cooler) and was fine in benchmarks, but it could only do 30 minutes in Prime 95 sadly, but it runs stable at 4.2ghz....

Here is my insane validation for this CPU:

Username: 384-bit https://spreadsheets.google.com/pub?key=0Atid2icGx257dG13NUxROGVjcG41ODRIdC1kWkRKT1E&hl=es&output=html

So... i now have a 4.2ghz Phenom II unlocked Quadcore biggrin.gif money was very well spent!

So, Bulldozer is due to be launched, and benchmarks are due to appear, and i want to upgrade.

We all know how Bulldozer did on review day, so i really have no need to say why i never went for it...

With sandy bridge i5's beating this higher cost CPU, it was a no brainer for me to leave ship for intel.

I had an intel PC before this AMD rig, so i knew my way around some things, so i was ok with this build, and all went to plan smoothly.

My 480 found a new home in my fresh sandy rig.

I know this has been a very long read, and i thank you for reading this.... i just thought i would share how i got into overclocking, and gaming on PC in general...

But this was an iconic PC for me, and one i will never forget, as i learnt so much with it.

We all learn from mistakes, and now i can proudly give knowledge onto others knowing it is safe with full confidence smile.gif

It took me some money wastage and a long amount of hours being thick, but i got there in the end without any help by an active person.

I actively sourced info when i could, and at the time of the most dimwitted things i did, i only had magazines to find info...

Currently the specs now are:

AMD Phenom ii x2 555 Black Edition (unlocked B55 Quad core 4.2ghz)

4GB Geil Black Dragon DDR3 1600MHZ CL7

MSI 790FX-GD70

XFX Radeon 7770 1GB GHZ edition GHOST with Hydrocell @ 1200mhz core, 1500mhz memory 1.21V (voltage is not adjustable)

Xigmatek Utguard (this will be replaced soon with a better chassis as it is a bit grotty)

Corsair TX 650 80 plus bronze (took this apart 2 days ago for a clean)

1x Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB 7200RPM (fantastic harddrives these, rapid and responsive, and really move in RAID)
1x Seagate Barracuda 500GB 7200RPM

Currently i have a 1680x1050 monitor hooked up to it as the GPU is on the lower end side of things, but does cope more than well enough thumb.gif

Next up, some benchmarks.

Here is my OCCT validation for the card.

SeMAsn0.jpg

Ok, i decided to bench the GTX 480 in the same rig and the same settings, i have a 870mhz oc on the 480 with 4.1ghz memory (not far off it's maximum 24/7 OC, performance at this OC is more comparable to a 7950/ 660Ti with some breathing room of course.

This will see if the Phenom II is bottlenecking...

You may be surprised....

Same 64man server, Operation Firestorm.

2013-05-20 14:32:14 - bf3
Frames: 22081 - Time: 231225ms - Avg: 95.496 - Min: 48 - Max: 149

Now, the only thing we should be looking at is minimum FPS, both GPU's deliver enough frames average and max, but the 7770 in intense action with tanks bombarding shows it's 128 bit bus weakness.

However, the card was cheap, and it does a fine job, so all in all, i am very happy thumb.gif

72413412.png

10032012178.jpg

Sandy.

11032012179.jpg

i7 5930k . 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 2666 DDR4 . Gigabyte GA-X99-Gaming G1-WIFI . Zotac GeForce GTX 980 AMP! 4GB SLi . Crucial M550 1TB SSD . LG BD . Fractal Design Define R2 Black Pearl . SuperFlower Leadex Gold 750w . BenQ GW2765HT 2560x1440 . CM Storm QF TK MX Blue . SteelSeries Rival 
i5 2500k/ EVGA Z68SLi/ FX 8320/ Phenom II B55 x4/ MSI 790FX-GD70/ G.skill Ripjaws X 1600 8GB kit/ Geil Black Dragon 1600 4GB kit/ Sapphire Ref R9 290/ XFX DD GHOST 7770 

I would, but I do believe it is under a lot of boxes in the basement. Because computers that are 15 years old should never be used.

No actual pics but close enough

mNNHKU1.png

It had an Athlon 64 x2 4000+ Dual core 2.1GHz, AMD 6450, 4GB of ram, 320GB hard drive before I moved some stuff over to my new Phenom II rig a few years ago. 

I was so happy I went from 3-4fps in raids in WoW to 15! (low settings 1440x900) (the upgrade from integrated graphics to 6450)

RIP in pepperonis m8s

I don't have images of it. It doesn't even live at my house anymore. 

I miss my 6870. :(

xfx_hd687azhfc.jpg

What do they know of England, who only England know?

"Well that's what I always said I wanted to be remembered for, for being honest. Nothing else is worth a damn"

Athlon 64+ (I think) something something

XFX 8500GT

I still have it, it still works, other than the HDD, which doesnt even start... I used to play CoD Black Ops in it :D

"an obvious supporter of privacy"

I don't have any pictures but it had a case with a windowed side panel and an 80mm blue LED fan on it. I also had a blue cold cathode in it and it looked super cool for 2004 :D

The basic specs:

Athlon XP 2500+

512MB RAM

FX5200

Asrock 890GX Extreme 3 - AMD Phenom II X4 955 @3.50GHz - Arctic Cooling Freezer XTREME Rev.2 - 4GB Kingston HyperX - AMD Radeon HD7850 - Kingston V300 240GB - Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB - Chieftec APS-750 - Cooler Master HAF912 PLUS

osu! profile

I would, but I do believe it is under a lot of boxes in the basement. Because computers that are 15 years old should never be used.

I totally disagree with that at least for me.  There definitely are some old pcs I built that I wish I still had.

Too many ****ing games!  Back log 4 life! :S

I totally disagree with that at least for me.  There definitely are some old pcs I built that I wish I still had.

Yea for the nostalgia factor, but they're pretty useless by today's standards.

RIP in pepperonis m8s

http://i.imgur.com/Xtjp9dM.jpg

It was Athlon 64 2500+ with 512ram and FX5200 GPU :D First it was with Gforce MX440, with 256mb ram :D 80gb storage haha oh the good times

CPU: i5 4460 3.20Ghz GPU: MSI GTX750 1GB OC MB: Asus B85M-E RAM: Kingston HiperX 4GB 1600Mhz (2x) PSU: Cooler Master 500W B-series HDD: WD Blue 500GB + 250 WD Case: Raidmax Super Viper

http://cdn0.dailydot.com/uploaded/images/original/2014/11/27/SW1.gif

http://i.imgur.com/Xtjp9dM.jpg

It was Athlon 64 2500+ with 512ram and FX5200 GPU :D First it was with Gforce MX440, with 256mb ram :D 80gb storage haha oh the good times

I miss CRT monitors. 

What do they know of England, who only England know?

"Well that's what I always said I wanted to be remembered for, for being honest. Nothing else is worth a damn"