Supposedly leaked 1080ti specs show GDDR5 (non x)

Misanthrope

Supposedly leaked 1080ti specs show GDDR5 (non x) 

Nvidia announce Pascal Powered GTX Titan X

So apparently there's some sort of leak showing the Specs for the 1080ti which as suspected is a slightly cut down version of the Titan XP but a surprising and doubtful claim: it sports normal GDDR5 not the newer GDDR5X found on the 1080 and the Titan XP:

1080ti.PNG

This article was possible thanks to information provided by Excalibur50 on the OC3D Forums.  

Nvidia's GTX 1080 Ti's specifications have been leaked, showcasing a GPU with 12GB of GDDR5 memory and 768 more CUDA cores than the GTX 1080.

The Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti is said to be made using Nvidia's GP102 GPU core design, which means that it is based on the same GPU as the GTX Titan Pascal.  Nvidia has made two significant downgrades with the GTX 1080 Ti from the Titan Pascal, changing the GDDR5X memory to slower GDDR5 and taking away 4 SM units from the GPU. 

This will give the GTX 1080Ti a total of 3328 CUDA cores, which is a 768 more CUDA cores than the GTX 1080 and 256 fewer GPU cores than the GTX Titan Pascal.

In this case the "source" appears to be just a forum post on their forums so take it with a few truckloads of salt specially because well, why go with different memory than the 2 nearest cards? Overall very weird even though the Memory Bandwidth seems to be what you'd expect I am extremely skeptical myself.

Source: http://www.overclock3d.net/news/gpu_displays/nvidia_gtx_1080ti_specifications_leak/1

-------

Current Rig

-------

Interesting, so again rebranded titan x :D

ASUS Maximus VII Hero | i7 4790K OC 4.8GHZ | 4x8GB 2400MHz MSI GTX 1070 alphacool eiswolf gpx pro
Samsung 850 EVO 520GB + Corsair 525gb + 275gb SSD  2TB Seagate Barracuda | 8TB Seagate Archive

Cooler Master HAF-X 942 | EVGA Supernova 1000W 80+ Platinum | Custom watercooling loop (gpu+cpu)

360mm+180mm rad and 10 fans | Swiftech D5 mcp655-B

I call BS, releasing this card would undermine Titan XP's spot on the market and the 1080 already has no competition and a Ti version would also cut its sales short.

EDIT: MAYYYYYBE around Vega launch, but then again, Volta won't be far after Vega launches, so I don't really see the point imho.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D GPU: AMD Radeon RX 6900 XT 16GB GDDR6 Motherboard: MSI PRESTIGE X570 CREATION
AIO: Corsair H150i Pro RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB 32GB 3600MHz DDR4 Case: Lian Li PC-O11 Dynamic PSU: Corsair RM850x White

Just now, Morgan MLGman said:

I call BS, releasing this card would undermine Titan XP's spot on the market and the 1080 already has no competition and a Ti version would also cut its sales short.

They've done so in the past. It really depends on the timing and one would assume at least after Vega.

But yeah I can't really dispute your bullshit call though.

-------

Current Rig

-------

Well they want people to have a reason to buy the titan xp over the 1080 ti, so it makes sense

384-bit GDDR5 is faster than 256-bit GDDR5X anyway, so it doesn't really matter imo

hello!

is it me you're looking for?

ᴾC SᴾeCS ᴰoWᴺ ᴮEᴸoW

Spoiler

Desktop: X99-PC

CPU: i7 5820k

Mobo: X99 Deluxe

Cooler: Dark Rock Pro 3

RAM: 32GB DDR4
GPU: GTX 1080

Storage: 1TB 850 Evo, 1TB HDD, bunch of external hard drives
PSU: EVGA G2 750w

Peripherals: Logitech G502, Ducky One 711

Audio: Xonar U7, O2 amplifier (RIP), HD6XX

Monitors: 4k 24" Dell monitor, 1080p 24" Asus monitor

Laptop:

-Overkill Dell XPS

Fully maxed out early 2017 Dell XPS 15, GTX 1050 4GB, 7700HQ, 1TB nvme SSD, 32GB RAM, 4k display. 97Whr battery :x 
Dell was having a $600 off sale for the fully specced out model, so I decided to get it :P

-Crapbook

Fully specced out early 2013 Macbook "pro" with gt 650m and constant 105c temperature on the CPU (GPU is 80-90C) when doing anything intensive...

A 2013 laptop with a regular sized battery still has better battery life than a 2017 laptop with a massive battery! I think this is a testament to apple's ability at making laptops, or maybe how little CPU technology has improved even 4+ years later (at least, until the recent introduction of 15W 4 core CPUs). Anyway, I'm never going to get a 35W CPU laptop again unless battery technology becomes ~5x better than as it is in 2018.

Apple knows how to make proper consumer-grade laptops (they don't know how to make pro laptops though). I guess this mostly software power efficiency related, but getting a mac makes perfect sense if you want a portable/powerful laptop that can do anything you want it to with great battery life.

Not only a non X model but also lower clocks than 1070 as well. Cut down Titan all right. 

The ability to google properly is a skill of its own. 

1 minute ago, Misanthrope said:

They've done so in the past. It really depends on the timing and one would assume at least after Vega.

But yeah I can't really dispute your bullshit call though.

Not to mention the GDDR5 thing... Unreasonable imho, considering that a 1080 has GDDR5X already... Yeah, after Vega, but how far are we after Vega launches to Volta? Not too far imho.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D GPU: AMD Radeon RX 6900 XT 16GB GDDR6 Motherboard: MSI PRESTIGE X570 CREATION
AIO: Corsair H150i Pro RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB 32GB 3600MHz DDR4 Case: Lian Li PC-O11 Dynamic PSU: Corsair RM850x White

4 minutes ago, lots of unexplainable lag said:

Pffft, nVidia would shoot themselves in the foot if G5X wasn't available on a model marketed higher than the 1080. I call BS.

That's the weirdest part indeed: The purpose would be to bin some cards as 1080ti and use the rejects for 1070 however that's close to two thirds of the fucking CUDA cores disabled. I'd find that hard to believe that they wouldn't have an in between tier if that was the case since most 1070s then would be shipping with perfectly fine CUDA cores disabled for the sake of consistency of specs.

-------

Current Rig

-------

Possible dumb question warning....

Is the difference from GDDR5 to GDDR5X thaat big, and I mean not numbers, real world gaming performance difference to be worth all the fuss? :D

In the end everything is gonna be ok;

If it's not ok, it's not the end.

2 minutes ago, Nano0806 said:

Is the difference from GDDR5 to GDDR5X thaat big, and I mean not numbers, real world gaming performance difference to be worth all the fuss? :D

at a higher res it really does help, think about the people who want to SLI these cards for 4k

3 minutes ago, Nano0806 said:

If the chart is anything to go by not really: GDDR5 seems to be faster than GDDR5X if it's fed with a wider bus.

-------

Current Rig

-------

2 minutes ago, Misanthrope said:

If the chart is anything to go by not really: GDDR5 seems to be faster than GDDR5X if it's fed with a wider bus.

There's something called memory compression though, my 290X has around the same memory bandwidth as a 1080, but I assure you that a 1080 would be faster in memory-intensive applications due to GDDR5X, despite a 290X wrecking most of other Nvidia cards in that regard

I call BS. 

Gaming HTPC:

R5 5600X - Cryorig C7 - Asus ROG B350-i - EVGA RTX2060KO - 16gb G.Skill Ripjaws V 3333mhz - Corsair SF450 - 500gb 960 EVO - LianLi TU100B

Desktop PC:
R9 3900X - Peerless Assassin 120 SE - Asus Prime X570 Pro - Powercolor 7900XT - 32gb LPX 3200mhz - Corsair SF750 Platinum - 1TB WD SN850X - CoolerMaster NR200 White - Gigabyte M27Q-SA - Corsair K70 Rapidfire - Logitech MX518 Legendary - HyperXCloud Alpha wireless

Boss-NAS [Build Log]:
R5 2400G - Noctua NH-D14 - Asus Prime X370-Pro - 16gb G.Skill Aegis 3000mhz - Seasonic Focus Platinum 550W - Fractal Design R5 - 
250gb 970 Evo (OS) - 2x500gb 860 Evo (Raid0) - 6x4TB WD Red (RaidZ2)

Synology-NAS:
DS920+
2x4TB Ironwolf - 1x18TB Seagate Exos X20

Audio Gear:

Hifiman HE-400i - Kennerton Magister - Beyerdynamic DT880 250Ohm - AKG K7XX - Fostex TH-X00 - O2 Amp/DAC Combo - 
Klipsch RP280F - Klipsch RP160M - Klipsch RP440C - Yamaha RX-V479

Reviews and Stuff:

GTX 780 DCU2 // 8600GTS // Hifiman HE-400i // Kennerton Magister
Folding all the Proteins! // Boincerino

Useful Links:
Do you need an AMP/DAC? // Recommended Audio Gear // PSU Tier List 

2 minutes ago, Morgan MLGman said:

There's something called memory compression though, my 290X has around the same memory bandwidth as a 1080, but I assure you that a 1080 would be faster in memory-intensive applications due to GDDR5X, despite a 290X wrecking most of other Nvidia cards in that regard

So it means that we might be sitting on the doors of yet another Nvidia vram controversy, this time crippled speeds not crippled amounts.

Oh wait, crippled vram speeds? We had 0.5 of those last gen xD

-------

Current Rig

-------

20 minutes ago, TrigrH said:

at a higher res it really does help, think about the people who want to SLI these cards for 4k

yes @TrigrH indeed, higher res can actually benefit but...

21 minutes ago, Misanthrope said:

... @Misanthrope has a very good point, wider bus  >  just an X after GDDR5 xD

4 minutes ago, Nano0806 said:

yes @TrigrH indeed, higher res can actually benefit but...

... @Misanthrope has a very good point, wider bus  >  just an X after GDDR5 xD

but the bus cant and wont be wider for the 1080ti so....

Just now, TrigrH said:

It already is wider from the Titan XP vs the 1080: 384bit vs 256bit. So why "cant" it be wider?

-------

Current Rig

-------

2 minutes ago, TrigrH said:

really......look in the table posted by OP 384 bit > 256bit. If info is legit...it's wider

24 minutes ago, Misanthrope said:

It already is wider from the Titan XP vs the 1080: 384bit vs 256bit. So why "cant" it be wider?

23 minutes ago, Nano0806 said:

really......look in the table posted by OP 384 bit > 256bit. If info is legit...it's wider

EDIT: the 1080ti has the same BUS as the TITAN XP.

Just now, TrigrH said:

then I'm calling BS on the rumour as the 1080 and the 1070 both have the same BUS width.

Previous x80 cards were actually cut down/modified versions of the Titan cards. That part doesn't seems as strange to me. The fact that they'd use GDDR5 and not GDDR5X is a little suspect but not the bus imo.

-------

Current Rig

-------

This some bulllllllllll

He who asks is stupid for 5 minutes. He who does not ask, remains stupid. -Chinese proverb. 

Those who know much are aware that they know little. - Slick roasting me

Spoiler

AXIOM

CPU- Intel i5-6500 GPU- EVGA 1060 6GB Motherboard- Gigabyte GA-H170-D3H RAM- 8GB HyperX DDR4-2133 PSU- EVGA GQ 650w HDD- OEM 750GB Seagate Case- NZXT S340 Mouse- Logitech Gaming g402 Keyboard-  Azio MGK1 Headset- HyperX Cloud Core

Offical first poster LTT V2.0

2 minutes ago, TrigrH said:

then I'm calling BS on the rumour as the 1080 and the 1070 both have the same BUS width.

but....the 1080 and 1070 DO HAVE the same bus width. Check nVidia official specs