AMD Zen ES leaked benchmarks: performance similar to a Core i5 4670K?!?!

Djole123
11 hours ago, Prysin said:

he already left.

appropriate slogan is "Jim Keller: I'll be back"

probly, was like a trump reference though

On 8/10/2016 at 4:22 PM, SamStrecker said:

But how CPU bound is AOTS?

in the benchmark with "CPU test scenario" preset for AotS it's pretty CPU bound

CPU: Intel i7 5820K @ 4.20 GHz | MotherboardMSI X99S SLI PLUS | RAM: Corsair LPX 16GB DDR4 @ 2666MHz | GPU: Sapphire R9 Fury (x2 CrossFire)
Storage: Samsung 950Pro 512GB // OCZ Vector150 240GB // Seagate 1TB | PSU: Seasonic 1050 Snow Silent | Case: NZXT H440 | Cooling: Nepton 240M
FireStrike // Extreme // Ultra // 8K // 16K

On 8/10/2016 at 8:17 PM, Coaxialgamer said:

True.  But the 5960x was a 22nm part.  Samsung's 14nm LPP should have better power characteristics... Anyway,  ill stay away from any performance for the time being,  especially from wccf... 

Under that argument, then why the high TDPs for the 6850K and 6900K?

I think AMD will try to pull a fast one and only give ratings for non-vectorized workloads if it intends to sell a 3.6GHz 8-core as a "95W" part. If you put an FX 8350 at stock speeds under V-Trace or another vectorized workload, it definitely spits out more than 125W.

Software Engineer for Suncorp (Australia), Computer Tech Enthusiast, Miami University Graduate, Nerd

31 minutes ago, patrickjp93 said:

I think AMD will try to pull a fast one and only give ratings for non-vectorized workloads if it intends to sell a 3.6GHz 8-core as a "95W" part. If you put an FX 8350 at stock speeds under V-Trace or another vectorized workload, it definitely spits out more than 125W.

Again,  you can't really trust exact TDP measurements from the manufacturer are often inaccurate because they are often used across a whole cpu family ( that realistically put out different amounts of heat),  and there isn't a standardized way of measuring it. 

AMD Ryzen R7 1700 (3.8ghz) w/ NH-D14, EVGA RTX 2080 XC (stock), 4*4GB DDR4 3000MT/s RAM, Gigabyte AB350-Gaming-3 MB, CX750M PSU, 1.5TB SDD + 7TB HDD, Phanteks enthoo pro case

On August 11, 2016 at 1:15 AM, themaniac said:

that argument only works with gpu's because amd and intel cpu's both use the same architecture(or whatever x86-64 is called) aka x86-64 so you can't really optimize the cpu side for just amd cpu's

You're not serious right ? remember Intel cinebench scandal ? 

ﷲ   Muslim Member  ﷲ

KennyS and ScreaM are my role models in CSGO.

CPU: i3-4130 Motherboard: Gigabyte H81M-S2PH RAM: 8GB Kingston hyperx fury HDD: WD caviar black 1TB GPU: MSI 750TI twin frozr II Case: Aerocool Xpredator X3 PSU: Corsair RM650

10 hours ago, zMeul said:

Guru3D did something: https://www.guru3d.com/news-story/amd-zen-engineering-sample-aos-further-analysis.html

they took a  i7 5960X Haswell-E (because it matches the core count) and downclocked it to match the ZEN engi sample, put a RX480 and ran Ashes at the same settings - it does not look good for ZEN

example:

That's nice. What Guru3D ignored is that there's already 2 engineer samples out of ZEN, but paired with a 480, both 8 core, 16 threads.

1D2801A2M88E4 32/28 scores 5,300.

5JEenmU.png

2D2801A2M88E4 32/28 scores 3,100.

KVnTvmS.png

Engineering samples are really useless to conclude upon, as certain blocks can be deactivated, certain functions doesn't have driver/OS/thread manager support and it most certainly runs at a lower clock rate as well.

I don't know if the 8 core ZEN will be similar to a 5960x, but if it is, it will be very expensive. I'm sure it will be a bit slower, but bring 8 core to mainstream, which is very nice. But concluding on a product that's about half a year away is pointless.

Watching Intel have competition is like watching a headless chicken trying to get out of a mine field

CPU: Intel I7 4790K@4.6 with NZXT X31 AIO; MOTHERBOARD: ASUS Z97 Maximus VII Ranger; RAM: 8 GB Kingston HyperX 1600 DDR3; GFX: ASUS R9 290 4GB; CASE: Lian Li v700wx; STORAGE: Corsair Force 3 120GB SSD; Samsung 850 500GB SSD; Various old Seagates; PSU: Corsair RM650; MONITOR: 2x 20" Dell IPS; KEYBOARD/MOUSE: Logitech K810/ MX Master; OS: Windows 10 Pro

14 hours ago, Prysin said:

ladies and gentlemen. Here he is, the most paranoid hater in the news section. The one, the only, MIIIIIIISSAAAAAANTHROOOOOOOOOPEEEE!!!!

Cut the ad hominem bullshit.

On topic: If this is the best that AMD's Zen microarchitecture can compete, I am not impressed at all. And even if it's lower in price compared to Intel, if the PPD metrics are reasonable enough, Intel will still be the clear winner in the CPU market in terms of single-threaded performance. I want to AMD to compete again, but from what this is looking like, there's no way AMD can compete except in multi-threaded applications (which there's only a few games and a good handful of applications that can leverage multiple CPU cores and threads).

RIGZ

Spoiler

Starlight (Current): AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 12-core CPU | EVGA GeForce RTX 2080 Ti Black Edition | Gigabyte X570 Aorus Ultra | Full Custom Loop | 32GB (4x8GB) Dominator Platinum SE Blackout #338/500 | 1TB + 2TB M.2 NVMe PCIe 4.0 SSDs, 480GB SATA 2.5" SSD, 8TB 7200 RPM NAS HDD | EVGA NU Audio | Corsair 900D | Corsair AX1200i | Corsair ML120 2-pack 5x + ML140 2-pack

The Storm (Retired): Intel Core i7-5930K | Asus ROG STRIX GeForce GTX 1080 Ti | Asus ROG RAMPAGE V EDITION 10 | EKWB EK-KIT P360 with Hardware Labs Black Ice SR2 Multiport 480 | 32GB (4x8GB) Dominator Platinum SE Blackout #338/500 | 480GB SATA 2.5" SSD + 3TB 5400 RPM NAS HDD + 8TB 7200 RPM NAS HDD | Corsair 900D | Corsair AX1200i + Black/Blue CableMod cables | Corsair ML120 2-pack 2x + NB-BlackSilentPro PL-2 x3

STRONK COOLZ 9000

Spoiler

EK-Quantum Momentum X570 Aorus Master monoblock | EK-FC RTX 2080 + Ti Classic RGB Waterblock and Backplate | EK-XRES 140 D5 PWM Pump/Res Combo | 2x Hardware Labs Black Ice SR2 480 MP and 1x SR2 240 MP | 10X Corsair ML120 PWM fans | A mixture of EK-KIT fittings and EK-Torque STC fittings and adapters | Mayhems 10/13mm clear tubing | Mayhems X1 Eco UV Blue coolant | Bitspower G1/4 Temperature Probe Fitting

DESK TOIS

Spoiler

Glorious Modular Mechanical Keyboard | Glorious Model D Featherweight Mouse | 2x BenQ PD3200Q 32" 1440p IPS displays + BenQ BL3200PT 32" 1440p VA display | Mackie ProFX10v3 USB Mixer + Marantz MPM-1000 Mic | Sennheiser HD 598 SE Headphones | 2x ADAM Audio T5V 5" Powered Studio Monitors + ADAM Audio T10S Powered Studio Subwoofer | Logitech G920 Driving Force Steering Wheel and Pedal Kit + Driving Force Shifter | Logitech C922x 720p 60FPS Webcam | Xbox One Wireless Controller

QUOTES

Spoiler

"So because they didn't give you the results you want, they're biased? You realize that makes you biased, right?" - @App4that

"Brand loyalty/fanboyism is stupid." - Unknown person on these forums

"Assuming kills" - @Moondrelor

"That's not to say that Nvidia is always better, or that AMD isn't worth owning. But the fact remains that this forum is AMD biased." - @App4that

"I'd imagine there's exceptions to this trend - but just going on mine and my acquaintances' purchase history, we've found that budget cards often require you to turn off certain features to get slick performance, even though those technologies are previous gen and should be having a negligible impact" - ace42

"2K" is not 2560 x 1440 

On 8/11/2016 at 7:08 AM, ThinkWithPortals said:

till speculation of course, but I pray to God that Zen is a hit. AMD needs the success.

man what a mess this topic has created. Every little rumor or bench is another war against people, but why do we war in the comments? Is not as if it will change the world, yet we still do. I hope in angst that zen will be the turning point in amd's loosing streak , but untill the first review samples are shipped. we will not know. 

On 11.08.2016 at 2:06 AM, Dabombinable said:

It still has a 95W TDP.......and going from their past actions it wouldn't surprise me at all if the 95W TDP is only for the base clock.

So what? 5820K has 140W TDP and noone bats an eye. More than the FX-8350.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D GPU: AMD Radeon RX 6900 XT 16GB GDDR6 Motherboard: MSI PRESTIGE X570 CREATION
AIO: Corsair H150i Pro RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB 32GB 3600MHz DDR4 Case: Lian Li PC-O11 Dynamic PSU: Corsair RM850x White

Just now, Morgan MLGman said:

So what? 5820K has 140W TDP and noone bats an eye. More than the FX-8350.

Look at the benchmarks again-it was underclocked to the same clock speed-and FYI its also on a 22nm node with a FIVR, not 14nm without a FIVR so there is that as well. The performance of Zen going of the leak+Guru3D bench means it performs like shit-which is what we don't want if AMD is to become competitive again.

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

Best way to deal with ad hominem is to just move on. If it was a joke only, it was fine. If it wasn't, I think everyone can see that I didn't just pull random conjectures out of my ass: it is extremely unlikely that anyone outside of AMD has this engineering sample and is not beneath 100 layers of NDAs so it probably did come from AMD directly. The rest is just an observation on how it seems to be benefical speculation to me since it builds hype.

Also

Spoiler

Ladies?  don't fight over me - Ladies?  don't fight over me  Misc

-------

Current Rig

-------

3 minutes ago, Misanthrope said:

Best way to deal with ad hominem is to just move on. If it was a joke only, it was fine. If it wasn't, I think everyone can see that I didn't just pull random conjectures out of my ass: it is extremely unlikely that anyone outside of AMD has this engineering sample and is not beneath 100 layers of NDAs so it probably did come from AMD directly. The rest is just an observation on how it seems to be benefical speculation to me since it builds hype.

Also

Reveal hidden contents

Ladies?  don't fight over me - Ladies?  don't fight over me  Misc

aww. that picture gets me all hot and bothered. That mustache. So sexy.

Will this be a whole new socket type? Or will they continue to use the AM3+?

Just now, Void_Viking said:

Will this be a whole new socket type? Or will they continue to use the AM3+?

Bristol Ridge and Summit Ridge (both powered by Zen) uses the AM4 socket.

RIGZ

Spoiler

Starlight (Current): AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 12-core CPU | EVGA GeForce RTX 2080 Ti Black Edition | Gigabyte X570 Aorus Ultra | Full Custom Loop | 32GB (4x8GB) Dominator Platinum SE Blackout #338/500 | 1TB + 2TB M.2 NVMe PCIe 4.0 SSDs, 480GB SATA 2.5" SSD, 8TB 7200 RPM NAS HDD | EVGA NU Audio | Corsair 900D | Corsair AX1200i | Corsair ML120 2-pack 5x + ML140 2-pack

The Storm (Retired): Intel Core i7-5930K | Asus ROG STRIX GeForce GTX 1080 Ti | Asus ROG RAMPAGE V EDITION 10 | EKWB EK-KIT P360 with Hardware Labs Black Ice SR2 Multiport 480 | 32GB (4x8GB) Dominator Platinum SE Blackout #338/500 | 480GB SATA 2.5" SSD + 3TB 5400 RPM NAS HDD + 8TB 7200 RPM NAS HDD | Corsair 900D | Corsair AX1200i + Black/Blue CableMod cables | Corsair ML120 2-pack 2x + NB-BlackSilentPro PL-2 x3

STRONK COOLZ 9000

Spoiler

EK-Quantum Momentum X570 Aorus Master monoblock | EK-FC RTX 2080 + Ti Classic RGB Waterblock and Backplate | EK-XRES 140 D5 PWM Pump/Res Combo | 2x Hardware Labs Black Ice SR2 480 MP and 1x SR2 240 MP | 10X Corsair ML120 PWM fans | A mixture of EK-KIT fittings and EK-Torque STC fittings and adapters | Mayhems 10/13mm clear tubing | Mayhems X1 Eco UV Blue coolant | Bitspower G1/4 Temperature Probe Fitting

DESK TOIS

Spoiler

Glorious Modular Mechanical Keyboard | Glorious Model D Featherweight Mouse | 2x BenQ PD3200Q 32" 1440p IPS displays + BenQ BL3200PT 32" 1440p VA display | Mackie ProFX10v3 USB Mixer + Marantz MPM-1000 Mic | Sennheiser HD 598 SE Headphones | 2x ADAM Audio T5V 5" Powered Studio Monitors + ADAM Audio T10S Powered Studio Subwoofer | Logitech G920 Driving Force Steering Wheel and Pedal Kit + Driving Force Shifter | Logitech C922x 720p 60FPS Webcam | Xbox One Wireless Controller

QUOTES

Spoiler

"So because they didn't give you the results you want, they're biased? You realize that makes you biased, right?" - @App4that

"Brand loyalty/fanboyism is stupid." - Unknown person on these forums

"Assuming kills" - @Moondrelor

"That's not to say that Nvidia is always better, or that AMD isn't worth owning. But the fact remains that this forum is AMD biased." - @App4that

"I'd imagine there's exceptions to this trend - but just going on mine and my acquaintances' purchase history, we've found that budget cards often require you to turn off certain features to get slick performance, even though those technologies are previous gen and should be having a negligible impact" - ace42

"2K" is not 2560 x 1440 

12 minutes ago, JurunceNK said:

Bristol Ridge and Summit Ridge (both powered by Zen) uses the AM4 socket.

Bristol Ridge is 28nm and based on Carizzo, but it will use socket AM4.

1 hour ago, Dabombinable said:

Look at the benchmarks again-it was underclocked to the same clock speed-and FYI its also on a 22nm node with a FIVR, not 14nm without a FIVR so there is that as well. The performance of Zen going of the leak+Guru3D bench means it performs like shit-which is what we don't want if AMD is to become competitive again.

Nah, I didn't mean anything about performance as I personally would like to wait for some more info that isn't 1. AOTS and 2. ES. This is also a misleading title imho, as people might think that an 8c/16t Zen CPU will be of the same performance as an 4670K, which is ridiculous, as FX-8cores outperform it multithreaded-wise already

What I meant is that there's so much talk in this thread about "TDP", as if it really mattered that much... People get Haswell-E/Broadwell-E i7s without even mentioning their TDP that's above FX-8 line "cause FX CPUs are hot as fuck and will make your PC a toaster", I've had an OC'd 125W FX-8350 and now I've got a 65W i7-3770S which has half 8350s TDP.

And guess what, there's no difference. What's funny, FX had lower temps under load.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D GPU: AMD Radeon RX 6900 XT 16GB GDDR6 Motherboard: MSI PRESTIGE X570 CREATION
AIO: Corsair H150i Pro RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB 32GB 3600MHz DDR4 Case: Lian Li PC-O11 Dynamic PSU: Corsair RM850x White

38 minutes ago, Morgan MLGman said:

What I meant is that there's so much talk in this thread about "TDP", as if it really mattered that much... People get Haswell-E/Broadwell-E i7s without even mentioning their TDP that's above FX-8 line "cause FX CPUs are hot as fuck and will make your PC a toaster", I've had an OC'd 125W FX-8350 and now I've got a 65W i7-3770S which has half 8350s TDP.

And guess what, there's no difference. What's funny, FX had lower temps under load.

Haswell, Haswell-E, Broadwell and Broadwell-E all have the VRM on the CPU package, it's called FIVR - that's why they have those hi TDP ratings

from Skylake onward, Intel went back and removed the VRM from the CPU package - lower TDP, higher performance

if ZEN isn't able to compete with Haswell, what the hell AMD is it gonna do against Skylake and KabiLake?

16 minutes ago, zMeul said:

Haswell, Haswell-E, Broadwell and Broadwell-E all have the VRM on the CPU package, it's called FIVR - that's why they have those hi TDP ratings

from Skylake onward, Intel went back and removed the VRM from the CPU package - lower TDP, higher performance

if ZEN isn't able to compete with Haswell, what the hell AMD is it gonna do against Skylake and KabiLake?

Kaby Lake will be mainly power consumption optimizations etc, not performance ones, so performance-wise it will be only a little bit faster than Skylake

On 2016-08-10 at 5:10 PM, leelaa14 said:

Ashes of the singularity is AMD's marketing tool to con people into thinking their products are better than they are.

This is especially true on the GPU side. Its basically a Halo product but in reverse. Instead of showing the performance of their best product, AMD shows the potential of all their products. It's like an internet provider saying "up to 1Gbps" while on average providing less bandwidth than the competition that says "guaranteed 0.95 Gbps bandwidth minimum." AMD using the "up to" performance metric surprisingly charms a lot of buyers.

Whether AotS translates to better performance for Zen... who knows. It definitely makes the Bulldozer/excavator/piledriver/stoolpusher architecture look good (even though AMD still use Intel CPU's in their AotS benchmarks :ph34r: ).

R9 3900XT | Tomahawk B550 | Ventus OC RTX 3090 | Photon 1050W | 32GB DDR4 | TUF GT501 Case | Vizio 4K 50'' HDR

8 hours ago, patrickjp93 said:

I try to tell people not to trust TDP in general. Even when undervolted to 1.1v, my 6700k still pulls 120w of power under Prime95. At stock 1.23v, this was 140w. Pretty far from its 91w TDP advertisement. Granted, this is not the intended use, and under normal consumer workloads one is unlikely to encounter that level of stress. 

Intel further covers themselves with this definition of TDP:

Thermal Design Power (TDP) represents the average power, in watts, the processor dissipates when operating at Base Frequency with all cores active under an Intel-defined, high-complexity workload. Refer to Datasheet for thermal solution requirements.

I can't imagine this 8 core, 16 thread CPU being 95w unless it was 3ghz or so. Even then, that number would skyrocket under any real stress. 

My (incomplete) memory overclocking guide: 

Does memory speed impact gaming performance? Click here to find out!

On 1/2/2017 at 9:32 PM, MageTank said:

Sometimes, we all need a little inspiration.

On 8/10/2016 at 5:31 PM, valdyrgramr said:

Um, remember that Batman game where they sped up the video?  That was one game they depended on. 

Sped up the video?

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

6 hours ago, Morgan MLGman said:

Kaby Lake will be mainly power consumption optimizations etc, not performance ones, so performance-wise it will be only a little bit faster than Skylake

and?

ZEN "has" issues keeping up with Haswell xD an arch that's nearly 3y old

Haven't read the thread so sorry if this has been asked before. How CPU bound is AotS? Testing CPUs with games has never been great because of the high GPU bottlenecking. 

2 hours ago, LAwLz said:

Haven't read the thread so sorry if this has been asked before. How CPU bound is AotS? Testing CPUs with games has never been great because of the high GPU bottlenecking. 

very.

To explain it.

Imagine Total war with two HUGE infantery units fighting. Then multiply the army sizes by 11. Add "more sophisticated AI". Add "fast changing FoV". Then subtract "highly optimized multi-threading", substract "low GPU driver overhead" and finally divide by the number of cores.

On a more serious note. i've run it on my 295x2 and i7 4790k. Here is some screens when i tried to disable hyper-threading and make my CPU into a i5......

I tested the i5 with both 1600Mhz and 2400Mhz memory. As @MageTank and myself has proven in the past, faster memory helps when the CPU is the bottleneck, (except when you have hyperthreading. It doesnt do much in those scenarios)....

http://imgur.com/a/wU1zV

Ill do a run with my i7 in a little bit.

Edit: here is tests with a i7 4790k at stock speeds (4.0Ghz base, 4.4Ghz boost). 32GB of DDR3 1866Mhz memory and AMD Radeon R9 295x2 both in single and dual GPU mode. I also included the CPU stress test, which is PURELY a CPU test (max CPU load the game engine can create)...

Also have logs and screens from MSI afterburner showing different metrics.

http://imgur.com/a/sinWH

EDIT 2:

i have screens of a AMD FX 8320 at 1080p, but since the benches of my "i5" and i7 was done at 1440p, it wouldnt be apples to apples...

The "i5" benches was done A LONG time ago. Right after official launch... this is why "Data compression" isnt mentioned in the "i5" test.... game has probably changed quite a bit since then, so i should probably re-do all my tests.