AMD Zen ES leaked benchmarks: performance similar to a Core i5 4670K?!?!

Djole123
Just now, FPS-Russia said:

Why is there so much moaning?I have not seen anything new from AMD's CPU gates in such a long time, i just want to see a new CPU from them.

4670K performance is still quite a huge leap from FX 8000 series.

Its still too far behind though.

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

make this 8 cores and under $200 cad

and i got a fucking amd cpu in my house. never thought that would happen

family is intel only, dads a fanboy. although if this shit is better than a 3770k ill somehow convince him to get a "shitty amd cpu" and he'll get back his shiny way fucking better i7 amirite? /s

Ryzen 5 3600 stock | 2x16GB C13 3200MHz (AFR) | GTX 760 (Sold the VII)| ASUS Prime X570-P | 6TB WD Gold (128MB Cache, 2017)

Samsung 850 EVO 240 GB 

138 is a good number.

Just now, Dabombinable said:

Its still too far behind though.

I have an i7 970.

Just now, zMeul said:

from Haswell to Haswell-E is just a node shrink if I recall right

you have Haswel-E, Broadwell, Skylake, Broadwell-E and Kabi Lake later this year - so yeah ... AMD is kinda' fucked

Haswell to Broadwell was the shrink-Haswell E was 22nm still.

PMSL

Haswell to Broadwell was the shrink-Haswell E was 22nm still.

Broadwell has some different arch if I recall; new memory controller, they also removed the VRM from the CPU die back to the mobo

3 minutes ago, zMeul said:

people that still believe a architecture design that already has some years over it will magically compete with the Intel current and upcoming CPUs drank the Kool-Aid, just like they did with Polaris 10

What bulldozer ended up being ( and it's shortcomings)  is irrelevant to the potential performance of zen.  They  are starting  a completely new core design unlike piledriver and steamroller,  which were just desperate attempts to fix a broken architecture. 

If anything,  i would be more concerned about amd's R&D,  not their engineering team's capabilities or their previous mistakea.  After all AMD have been stuck with the bulldozer core for the past 6 years.  I would think of it like Intel's p4 back in the day,  when they were stuck with netburst.  After all,  k5 was decent,  k6 ( and subsequent k6-2 and k6-3)  was good,  so was k7. K8 was great,  and k10 was ok ( but was heavily based on k8) 

AMD Ryzen R7 1700 (3.8ghz) w/ NH-D14, EVGA RTX 2080 XC (stock), 4*4GB DDR4 3000MT/s RAM, Gigabyte AB350-Gaming-3 MB, CX750M PSU, 1.5TB SDD + 7TB HDD, Phanteks enthoo pro case

Just now, FPS-Russia said:

I have an i7 970.

And that's what the FX 8*** truly competes with due to its IPC-multi threaded it scales far better of course being CMT not SMT

PMSL

And that's what the FX 8*** truly competes with due to its IPC-multi threaded it scales far better of course being CMT not SMT

Yeah that's what i mean so if zen is 4670k performance which none of us really know for fact yet, that's a good upgrade for me and many others. Pricing will be the kicker though.

Just now, zMeul said:

Broadwell has some different arch if I recall; new memory controller, they also removed the VRM from the CPU die back to the mobo

Broadwell still has the FIVR-Skylake is the architecture where Intel removed it (I can see why though-Haswell and Broadwell throw out shitloads of heat due to it).

PMSL

On 8/10/2016 at 7:42 PM, Coaxialgamer said:

If anything,  i would be more concerned about amd's R&D,  not their engineering team's capabilities or their previous mistakea.  After all AMD have been stuck with the bulldozer core for the past 6 years.  I would think of it like Intel's p4 back in the day,  when they were stuck with netburst.  After all,  k5 was decent,  k6 ( and subsequent k6-2 and k6-3)  was good,  so was k7. K8 was great,  and k10 was ok ( but was heavily based on k8) 

back then Intel got caught of guard because they dragged their feet - then K8 hit them right in the ballz

but Intel isn't doing that anymore, they die shrinking, getting new arch to market - they aren't slouching around

On 8/10/2016 at 7:43 PM, Dabombinable said:

Broadwell still has the FIVR-Skylake is the architecture where Intel removed it

oh, sorry then .. I remembered it wrong :|

Edited by zMeul

Just now, zMeul said:

back then Intel got caught of guard because they dragged their feet - then K6 hit them right in the ballz

but Intel isn't doing that anymore, they die shrinking, getting new arch to market - they aren't slouching around

True.  But they have been stuck on 14nm for a while,  and will continue to be for at least a year... 

AMD Ryzen R7 1700 (3.8ghz) w/ NH-D14, EVGA RTX 2080 XC (stock), 4*4GB DDR4 3000MT/s RAM, Gigabyte AB350-Gaming-3 MB, CX750M PSU, 1.5TB SDD + 7TB HDD, Phanteks enthoo pro case

1 minute ago, zMeul said:

oh, sorry then .. I remembered it wrong :|

TBH, Broadwell is kind of easy to forget due to when it was released. Right before Skylake.

PMSL

1 minute ago, Coaxialgamer said:

True.  But they have been stuck on 14nm for a while,  and will continue to be for at least a year... 

node shrinking brings challenges that sometimes aren't feasible to just throw cash at it

Just now, zMeul said:

node shrinking brings challenges that sometimes aren't feasible to just throw cash at it

It just takes time for the process to mature i guess.  

I think I learnt my lesson not to trust leaks back when Polaris launched. Staying off this one. 

We have a NEW and GLORIOUSER-ER-ER PSU Tier List Now. (dammit @LukeSavenije stop coming up with new ones)

You can check out the old one that gave joy to so many across the land here

Computer having a hard time powering on? Troubleshoot it with this guide. (Currently looking for suggestions to update it into the context of <current year> and make it its own thread)

Computer Specs:

Spoiler

Mathresolvermajig: Intel Xeon E3 1240 (Sandy Bridge i7 equivalent)

Chillinmachine: Noctua NH-C14S
Framepainting-inator: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2 Hybrid

Attachcorethingy: Gigabyte H61M-S2V-B3

Infoholdstick: Corsair 2x4GB DDR3 1333

Computerarmor: Silverstone RL06 "Lookalike"

Rememberdoogle: 1TB HDD + 120GB TR150 + 240 SSD Plus + 1TB MX500

AdditionalPylons: Phanteks AMP! 550W (based on Seasonic GX-550)

Letterpad: Rosewill Apollo 9100 (Cherry MX Red)

Buttonrodent: Razer Viper Mini + Huion H430P drawing Tablet

Auralnterface: Sennheiser HD 6xx

Liquidrectangles: LG 27UK850-W 4K HDR

1 hour ago, Dabombinable said:

There is a reason as to why Intel's 8 cores have such a high TDP or low base clocks. That many cores under the same IHS throws out shitloads of heat-regardless of the IHS being soldered on or using some other TIM.

Intel also gives the TDPs for standard workloads under the hottest instructions like vectorized work (SSE/AVX). If AMD is trying to get away with gaming TDP, it won't fly in the server world. The moment they're caught being less than truthful, everyone will pay to buy out of any AMD contracts and switch right back to Intel, because if AMD is willing to lie about TDP, what else is wrong under the hood?

1 hour ago, Coaxialgamer said:

True.  But the 5960x was a 22nm part.  Samsung's 14nm LPP should have better power characteristics... Anyway,  ill stay away from any performance for the time being,  especially from wccf... 

The original source is dresdenboy on overclock.net and overclockers.uk as well as computerbase.de. WCCF just reported on that.

1 hour ago, Coaxialgamer said:

True,  but every chip from the 6800k to the 6950x are all rated for 140w,  while they probably have quite different heat outputs.  Exact  TDP measures aren't always accurate,  as they are often extended to a whole cpu family ( I'm looking at you, 6600k and 6700k) 

This is much more a problem in consumer processors than server ones where you're really not allowed to lie.

Software Engineer for Suncorp (Australia), Computer Tech Enthusiast, Miami University Graduate, Nerd

19 minutes ago, Energycore said:

I think I learnt my lesson not to trust leaks back when Polaris launched. Staying off this one. 

Yeah, didn't they say 980+ performance in the rumors on those lol, 970 performance is what we got, this is why "leaks" always need proper seasoning

salt-430.jpg

https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/631048-psu-tier-list-updated/ Tier Breakdown (My understanding)--1 Godly, 2 Great, 3 Good, 4 Average, 5 Meh, 6 Bad, 7 Awful

4 hours ago, leelaa14 said:

Ashes of the singularity is AMD's marketing tool to con people into thinking there products are better than they are.

Reaction-Pic---I-agree.jpg

| CPU: Core i7-8700K @ 4.89ghz - 1.21v  Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E GAMING  CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 |
| GPU: MSI RTX 3080Ti Ventus 3X OC  RAM: 32GB T-Force Delta RGB 3066mhz |
| Displays: Acer Predator XB270HU 1440p Gsync 144hz IPS Gaming monitor | Oculus Quest 2 VR

48 minutes ago, patrickjp93 said:

Intel also gives the TDPs for standard workloads under the hottest instructions like vectorized work (SSE/AVX). If AMD is trying to get away with gaming TDP, it won't fly in the server world. The moment they're caught being less than truthful, everyone will pay to buy out of any AMD contracts and switch right back to Intel, because if AMD is willing to lie about TDP, what else is wrong under the hood?

The original source is dresdenboy on overclock.net and overclockers.uk as well as computerbase.de. WCCF just reported on that.

This is much more a problem in consumer processors than server ones where you're really not allowed to lie.

The funny thing is-if they get caught selling products in Australia based on a lie-they can get in deep shit.

PMSL

Well even if it's not an intel-beater the 4670K is still a fantastic upgrade to what I'm using currently and I'd gladly take it as an upgrade if AMD can atleast make the price competitive.

On 8/10/2016 at 9:16 PM, Dabombinable said:

The funny thing is-if they get caught selling products in Australia based on a lie-they can get in deep shit.

That's anywhere really.

On 8/10/2016 at 9:37 PM, Okjoek said:

Well even if it's not an intel-beater the 4670K is still a fantastic upgrade to what I'm using currently and I'd gladly take it as an upgrade if AMD can atleast make the price competitive.

When will you people learn?! AMD historically matches Intel's prices when it has competitive products. Athlon Extreme -$1000, Phenom X6 -$1000, FX 9590 -$1000! Even if for some reason it doesn't this one time, Intel will just respond by dropping prices, and you'll be able to get an even better upgrade for the same price!

Software Engineer for Suncorp (Australia), Computer Tech Enthusiast, Miami University Graduate, Nerd

1 minute ago, patrickjp93 said:

When will you people learn?! AMD historically matches Intel's prices when it has competitive products. Athlon Extreme -$1000, Phenom X6 -$1000, FX 9590 -$1000! Even if for some reason it doesn't this one time, Intel will just respond by dropping prices, and you'll be able to get an even better upgrade for the same price!

The FX 9590 competes with nothing BTW........

PMSL

Just now, patrickjp93 said:

Indeed prices will dictate how the market unfolds. That said, it's nice to have an AMD that now has the option of offering a $200, 300, 500 CPU that perfoms up to par.

We have a NEW and GLORIOUSER-ER-ER PSU Tier List Now. (dammit @LukeSavenije stop coming up with new ones)

You can check out the old one that gave joy to so many across the land here

Computer having a hard time powering on? Troubleshoot it with this guide. (Currently looking for suggestions to update it into the context of <current year> and make it its own thread)

Computer Specs:

Spoiler

Mathresolvermajig: Intel Xeon E3 1240 (Sandy Bridge i7 equivalent)

Chillinmachine: Noctua NH-C14S
Framepainting-inator: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2 Hybrid

Attachcorethingy: Gigabyte H61M-S2V-B3

Infoholdstick: Corsair 2x4GB DDR3 1333

Computerarmor: Silverstone RL06 "Lookalike"

Rememberdoogle: 1TB HDD + 120GB TR150 + 240 SSD Plus + 1TB MX500

AdditionalPylons: Phanteks AMP! 550W (based on Seasonic GX-550)

Letterpad: Rosewill Apollo 9100 (Cherry MX Red)

Buttonrodent: Razer Viper Mini + Huion H430P drawing Tablet

Auralnterface: Sennheiser HD 6xx

Liquidrectangles: LG 27UK850-W 4K HDR

3 minutes ago, Dabombinable said:

The FX 9590 competes with nothing BTW........

When it launched, there were some compelling cases for it, but they were integer-only workloads.