AMD Zen ES leaked benchmarks: performance similar to a Core i5 4670K?!?!

Djole123

Looking at the design of the Zen core and after comparing it to the old CMT Bulldozer core... well Zen looks much better, no  shared 256bit FPU (aka 2x 128 bit for each integer unit), every core has its own decoter, the FPU is much bigger (and it may have been redesigned), they may even improved their cache (we all know, that AMDs chache design is inferior in comaprison to intels) . So... looking at the AoS performance of the Zen ES 8c/16t @ 2,8GHz... well, it destroys the fx 8350 using much lower clocks:

http://www.overclock3d.net/news/cpu_mainboard/benchmarks_for_amd_s_zen_es_cpus_have_been_leaked/1

(Note: the i7 4790 has a core clock of 4,0GHz...it´s a beast...)

In my opinion it will be about 10-15% faster than the good old intel xeon v5 2670 with much lower power consumption and it will be overclockable so... 4,0 GHz + and nice single core performance here I come.

It will be as good, or better than intel hexacores with better power consumption and a proper price tag (no 200 euros octacores anymore), like 400 euros.

28 minutes ago, deviant88 said:

What are you talking about, games and complex program(even simple ones sometimes) use tens of threads, maybe you meant there is no asynchronous multithreading for game jobs (feeding data to gpu, physics, audio, animation, AI etc), its probably running on 1 core, as a developer if you implement async multithreading you must be retarded to just set it to hardcoded 4 cores, usually this is set to use all available cores/threads.

Its so boring to read the same old silly uninformed reply "bla bla dont use more than 4 cores, or 4 threads".

If your program has 100 threads they will be managed by the kernel and spread across all available hardware threads(including virutal ones, hyperthreading etc). If you program your rendering,AI physics etc on thread 1, and the rest of the threads are only doing minor work or occasionally or idling it doesnt mean the game engine or OS didnt use all the cpu execution threads. Its the work thats not properly spread/optimized by the programmers of the game engine.

Yes, I meant it doesn't take advantage of the cpu's full multithreading ability, and it's pretty clear what I'm talking about.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

Zen rev 2.0 should be quite the amazeballs, higher clocks and lower tdp and all that...

When Zen rev 1.0 releases.. great.. but people just totally crave it to surpass any and all... it may not and people will get their pitchforks.

It will be great either way..

You will have options either way.

Maximums - Asus Z97-K /w i5 4690 Bclk @106.9Mhz * x39 = 4.17Ghz, 8GB of 2600Mhz DDR3,.. Gigabyte GTX970 G1-Gaming @ 1550Mhz

3 hours ago, Dabombinable said:

Too far behind their competitors current generation, 2 fucking generations behind like Piledriver was at launch.

sadly you fail to realize that piledriver is actually doing better today then sandy bridge is, except the sandy i7s. Thus whilst being behind at launch, it has aged better. Strange that, isnt it?

Again, proves age doesnt mean a single fucking thing. Performance today is all that fucking matters.

If on paper, your product is 2 years behind, then that doesnt matter if the performance you deliver is within tolerable distances, talkin 5-10 FPS or so, not 30 FPS behind.

17 hours ago, leelaa14 said:

Nope, I'm not. But any time AMD advertise there products lately, they use ashes, solely. The performance that you see them advertising on this game doesn't translate well to other games. Just saying what I see.

No need to be a bell end about it.

what do you suggest instead?

how can they change that?

what should they do?

CPU: Intel i7 5820K @ 4.20 GHz | MotherboardMSI X99S SLI PLUS | RAM: Corsair LPX 16GB DDR4 @ 2666MHz | GPU: Sapphire R9 Fury (x2 CrossFire)
Storage: Samsung 950Pro 512GB // OCZ Vector150 240GB // Seagate 1TB | PSU: Seasonic 1050 Snow Silent | Case: NZXT H440 | Cooling: Nepton 240M
FireStrike // Extreme // Ultra // 8K // 16K

35 minutes ago, Prysin said:

sadly you fail to realize that piledriver is actually doing better today then sandy bridge is, except the sandy i7s. Thus whilst being behind at launch, it has aged better. Strange that, isnt it?

Again, proves age doesnt mean a single fucking thing. Performance today is all that fucking matters.

If on paper, your product is 2 years behind, then that doesnt matter if the performance you deliver is within tolerable distances, talkin 5-10 FPS or so, not 30 FPS behind.

And that works against AMD's interests. If people suddenly get more out of their ancient processors, they will hold off upgrading until Zen+, or if Intel drops its prices significantly while having better performance, some will jump into Intel's arms. And age does mean a few things, because the platform has not aged well.

Software Engineer for Suncorp (Australia), Computer Tech Enthusiast, Miami University Graduate, Nerd

19 minutes ago, patrickjp93 said:

And that works against AMD's interests. If people suddenly get more out of their ancient processors, they will hold off upgrading until Zen+, or if Intel drops its prices significantly while having better performance, some will jump into Intel's arms. And age does mean a few things, because the platform has not aged well.

Sandy as a platform has aged terribly, in that regards the 900 series chipset from AMD has been a better solution, as we can clearly see from the pack of modernized AM3+ boards.

A product aging well is not neccessarily BAD for AMD, it can be a good thing.

ATM AMD is desperatly in need of market share. Both in GPU and CPU. We both know that Intel will never allow AMD to have more then 25% market share. Each time AMD has been close to passing that line, Intel has come down on them with every trick in the book (and some that werent in the book too), pushing AMD back below the 25% market share line.

If you own a product that you see can last you longer, you are more likely to go with that brand again. What AMD needs to do is make sure it doesnt lose THOSE users. Because they are "secure" repeat customers. Whilst at the same time they need to "steal" Intel customers.

The best customer is not the one who burns money on a i3 each year. Its the customer that buys an i7 every 3 years. Because the margins on said i7 is much higher, and the boards said person is going to buy is also more expensive (as i understand, Intel gets royalties from board sales. I bet its % based on value of board).

Well, not the best benchamrk though.

Still it's an engineering sample, release version will have higher clocks anyway. Interesting thing is that both 4-core and 8-core are shown to have same clocks. Maybe this means that 8-core can also be clocked quite high.

I'ts new architecture, 14nm, SMT so it's quite and improvement over let's say FX8350. If it can be as twice as fast as that CPU with 4GHz+ that will be great.

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

Just now, Prysin said:

Sandy as a platform has aged terribly, in that regards the 900 series chipset from AMD has been a better solution, as we can clearly see from the pack of modernized AM3+ boards.

A product aging well is not neccessarily BAD for AMD, it can be a good thing.

ATM AMD is desperatly in need of market share. Both in GPU and CPU. We both know that Intel will never allow AMD to have more then 25% market share. Each time AMD has been close to passing that line, Intel has come down on them with every trick in the book (and some that werent in the book too), pushing AMD back below the 25% market share line.

If you own a product that you see can last you longer, you are more likely to go with that brand again. What AMD needs to do is make sure it doesnt lose THOSE users. Because they are "secure" repeat customers. Whilst at the same time they need to "steal" Intel customers.

The best customer is not the one who burns money on a i3 each year. Its the customer that buys an i7 every 3 years. Because the margins on said i7 is much higher, and the boards said person is going to buy is also more expensive (as i understand, Intel gets royalties from board sales. I bet its % based on value of board).

Huh? Sandy has aged marvelously. Between the high overclocking and the capabilities of Z77, I frankly think you're out of your mind.

All those 3rd party controllers though add to the cost of the board, and if you want them, you pay for new boards each year without getting a CPU upgrade. At least with Intel you get both.

It's a bad thing. AMD needs money. Marketshare be damned.

If you're most likely to get that brand again instead of doing a fresh analysis and settling objectively, I feel sorry for you.

Intel gets paid per chipset and controller. The rest is all going to the motherboard producers.

Software Engineer for Suncorp (Australia), Computer Tech Enthusiast, Miami University Graduate, Nerd

3 minutes ago, patrickjp93 said:

Huh? Sandy has aged marvelously. Between the high overclocking and the capabilities of Z77, I frankly think you're out of your mind.

All those 3rd party controllers though add to the cost of the board, and if you want them, you pay for new boards each year without getting a CPU upgrade. At least with Intel you get both.

It's a bad thing. AMD needs money. Marketshare be damned.

If you're most likely to get that brand again instead of doing a fresh analysis and settling objectively, I feel sorry for you.

Intel gets paid per chipset and controller. The rest is all going to the motherboard producers.

humans are creatures of habit. There is a reason why Nvidia has the majority market share even when AMD has competitive products. Its because of brand name.

and market share is important. It is important because it influences people.

Why is Intel a house-hold name and not AMD? its not because its history, its not because its tick-tock release of products. its because its near total market dominance. Nobody knows who the fuck the other manufacturers are.

Market share and marketing is KING. You can have the worlds best product, but if you cannot convince people to trust you and invest in your product you wont make a single penny. (sheep mentality dictates that higher market share equals safety. Irregardless if its true).

1 minute ago, Prysin said:

humans are creatures of habit. There is a reason why Nvidia has the majority market share even when AMD has competitive products. Its because of brand name.

Why is Intel a house-hold name and not AMD? its not because its history, its not because its tick-tock release of products. its because its near total market dominance. Nobody knows who the fuck the other manufacturers are.

Market share and marketing is KING. You can have the worlds best product, but if you cannot convince people to trust you and invest in your product you wont make a single penny. (sheep mentality dictates that higher market share equals safety. Irregardless if its true).

to support your point. people say kleenex for tissue or Q-tip for cotton swab. 

if you want to annoy me, then join my teamspeak server ts.benja.cc

3 minutes ago, Prysin said:

I wouldn't call AMD's products competitive on much more than price/performance.

Intel is a household name because tons of products, not just PCs, use Intel technology. And Intel does have a rich, long history.

Eh, anyone can be convinced with benchmarks. AMD's problem is it has a terrible history of lying. Intel really doesn't.

1 hour ago, DXMember said:

what do you suggest instead?

how can they change that?

what should they do?

Simple, use multiple tests.

I7 4790K-----ASUS Z97-A-----GTX 1080-----CORSAIR H105-----CORSAIR VENGEANCE PRO 16GB-----ASUS PG278Q-----LOGITECH G900-----MASTERKEYS PRO L-----Sennheiser GSX 1000

2 minutes ago, patrickjp93 said:

I wouldn't call AMD's products competitive on much more than price/performance.

Intel is a household name because tons of products, not just PCs, use Intel technology. And Intel does have a rich, long history.

Eh, anyone can be convinced with benchmarks. AMD's problem is it has a terrible history of lying. Intel really doesn't.

ahem.... Patrick. I know you're young, but the early 2000s??? Intel.... "not lying" ???

Intel is a household name because laptops has their sticker "Intel inside" or "Core ix inside". Not because of their product portfolio, but because of people being exposed to the brand name OFTEN.

People give shit about history of a company.

Heard of Yara?? Maybe, maybe not.... without that company the entire world would be less populated, as their invention and subsequent mass production of synthetic fertilizer in the early 1900s laid the foundation for todays industrialized food production.

In the states, they license out their IP from what i know, so not shocking if you didnt know about the company.

So despite having been around for over a hundred years and been a key part of aggriculture on a global scale. Most people wouldnt know what the fuck the company is or does. Despite it being the key to them having food on the table.

Ever heard of the huge norwegian shipyards?

Me neither, despite living in norway. Yet these companies made the majority of all large ships for more then 100 years.... still not a household name that even someone from the same nation remembers.

There is giant companies that make billions and billions in revenue NEVER make it into a household name. Why? Because of exposure. People arent repeatedly exposed to the name.

How do you get your name out there? There is only two fucking ways, unless you are the CIA/NSA/Leonardo DiCaprio and can use alien technology and do inception.

Marketing and Word of mouth (generally based on market share. As owners/users tell others about their experiences).

7 minutes ago, Prysin said:

ahem.... Patrick. I know you're young, but the early 2000s??? Intel.... "not lying" ???

Intel is a household name because laptops has their sticker "Intel inside" or "Core ix inside". Not because of their product portfolio, but because of people being exposed to the brand name OFTEN.

People give shit about history of a company.

Heard of Yara?? Maybe, maybe not.... without that company the entire world would be less populated, as their invention and subsequent mass production of synthetic fertilizer in the early 1900s laid the foundation for todays industrialized food production.

In the states, they license out their IP from what i know, so not shocking if you didnt know about the company.

So despite having been around for over a hundred years and been a key part of aggriculture on a global scale. Most people wouldnt know what the fuck the company is or does. Despite it being the key to them having food on the table.

Ever heard of the huge norwegian shipyards?

Me neither, despite living in norway. Yet these companies made the majority of all large ships for more then 100 years.... still not a household name that even someone from the same nation remembers.

There is giant companies that make billions and billions in revenue NEVER make it into a household name. Why? Because of exposure. People arent repeatedly exposed to the name.

How do you get your name out there? There is only two fucking ways, unless you are the CIA/NSA/Leonardo DiCaprio and can use alien technology and do inception.

Marketing and Word of mouth (generally based on market share. As owners/users tell others about their experiences).

Intel did that exactly once under a CEO who left ages ago. AMD has a LOOOONG history of puffing up benchmark scores and using bogus game settings to make itself look good.

People are exposed to the brand often because it has such a huge product portfolio.

No they don't, and you and I are examples of this.

Yes I know of Yara, but you're still wrong because 2 other companies developed the same product within a year of Yara without any knowledge of the patent or materials.

Big ships aren't something most families get exposed to on a regular basis. It doesn't hit home, and even for fertilizer, people are mostly detached from who makes it unless you're a farmer.

Word of mouth encompasses many methods though, and so does marketing. Intel is a household name because of its ubiquity in products, not because of advertising.

Okay so i dont know much about the zen processors (Is this just me or has AMD not released much info?) but what i do know is that if these performance results are true

i'm definitely going to buy one.

My only question is: Does anybody actually know / can Guestimate the price these things will be, and will they be using the same old AM3+ motherboards? or will they 

be on a newer socket (i.e AM4+)

49 minutes ago, leelaa14 said:

Simple, use multiple tests.

• AotS Normal Batch
  • AotS Medium Batch
  • AotS Heavy batch

thre's your multiple tests

CPU: Intel i7 5820K @ 4.20 GHz | MotherboardMSI X99S SLI PLUS | RAM: Corsair LPX 16GB DDR4 @ 2666MHz | GPU: Sapphire R9 Fury (x2 CrossFire)
Storage: Samsung 950Pro 512GB // OCZ Vector150 240GB // Seagate 1TB | PSU: Seasonic 1050 Snow Silent | Case: NZXT H440 | Cooling: Nepton 240M

6 minutes ago, DXMember said:
  • AotS Normal Batch
  • AotS Medium Batch
  • AotS Heavy batch

thre's your multiple tests

You see, but there's my original point, all in ashes. Why you so butt hurt? You obviously know what I'm talking about. I will come to the conclusion that you're a butt hurt fanboy who hates any criticism towards his favourite brand.

I7 4790K-----ASUS Z97-A-----GTX 1080-----CORSAIR H105-----CORSAIR VENGEANCE PRO 16GB-----ASUS PG278Q-----LOGITECH G900-----MASTERKEYS PRO L-----Sennheiser GSX 1000

4 minutes ago, leelaa14 said:

You see, but there's my original point, all in ashes. Why you so butt hurt? You obviously know what I'm talking about. I will come to the conclusion that you're a butt hurt fanboy who hates any criticism towards his favourite brand.

I just don't think it's reasonable to expect AMD to do tech reviewers job for their internal, confidential testing that was never intended for public

2 minutes ago, DXMember said:

I just don't think it's reasonable to expect AMD to do tech reviewers job for their internal, confidential testing that was never intended for public

Not so sure it wasn't intended for public. Sure they'll claim it wasn't and all but most leaks come from the company itself to do some subversive advertisement and hype building.

Which at 8 pages in on this thread, seems to work rather well.

-------

Current Rig

-------

Just now, DXMember said:

Debatable weather it was intended for public. It's funny how there's never really a bad leak that is negative towards the products.

Just now, leelaa14 said:

Debatable weather it was intended for public. It's funny how there's never really a bad leak that is negative towards the products.

that thing is showing very poor results mostly due to ridiculously low clock speed

17 hours ago, Dabombinable said:

There is a reason as to why Intel's 8 cores have such a high TDP or low base clocks. That many cores under the same IHS throws out shitloads of heat-regardless of the IHS being soldered on or using some other TIM.

Yeah, X99 cpus are more than capable of pulling 200+W through the socket when overclocked.

Intel i7 5820K (4.5 GHz) | MSI X99A MPower | 32 GB Kingston HyperX Fury 2666MHz | Asus RoG STRIX GTX 1080ti OC | Samsung 951 m.2 nVME 512GB | Crucial MX200 1000GB | Western Digital Caviar Black 2000GB | Noctua NH-D15 | Fractal Define R5 | Seasonic 860 Platinum | Logitech G910 | Sennheiser 599 | Blue Yeti | Logitech G502

Nikon D500 | Nikon 300mm f/4 PF  | Nikon 200-500 f/5.6 | Nikon 50mm f/1.8 | Tamron 70-210 f/4 VCII | Sigma 10-20 f/3.5 | Nikon 17-55 f/2.8 | Tamron 90mm F2.8 SP Di VC USD Macro | Neewer 750II

45 minutes ago, Tekphearion said:

Okay so i dont know much about the zen processors (Is this just me or has AMD not released much info?) but what i do know is that if these performance results are true

i'm definitely going to buy one.

My only question is: Does anybody actually know / can Guestimate the price these things will be, and will they be using the same old AM3+ motherboards? or will they 

be on a newer socket (i.e AM4+)

It's AM4 for certain, but price is a toss-up. Historically, AMD matches Intel's prices when it becomes performance-competitive (Athlon Extreme, Phenom X6, and FX 9590 were all $1000 at launch), but maybe CEO Lisa Su has her head on straight. However, if AMD tries to undercut Intel, Intel will lower its prices to keep AMD stifled but alive.

8 minutes ago, DXMember said:

that thing is showing very poor results mostly due to ridiculously low clock speed

How is it ridiculously low? That's basically 5960X range.

8 minutes ago, patrickjp93 said:

It's AM4 for certain, but price is a toss-up. Historically, AMD matches Intel's prices when it becomes performance-competitive (Athlon Extreme, Phenom X6, and FX 9590 were all $1000 at launch), but maybe CEO Lisa Su has her head on straight. However, if AMD tries to undercut Intel, Intel will lower its prices to keep AMD stifled but alive.

How is it ridiculously low? That's basically 5960X range.

did the leaks you posted about ES run at 2.5GHz?