What is the ideal number of PC games to own?

Okjoek

This is my collection of PC games on my desktop system:

Planetside 2

Minecraft

Rocket League

Counter Strike GO

Shovel Knight

Roller Coaster Tycoon Deluxe

Bit Blaster XL

Stardew Valley

Garry's Mod

World of Tanks

Runescape

The way I have set myself up is so that Planetside 2 is my go-to MMO game. I love this game ever since I joined it in January 2015. In the past Runescape and World of Tanks filled that role, but I've stopped playing them significantly and I almost consider removing them if not for the memories. Runescape isn't as nice as it used to be IMO. The devs kept trying to make the wonderfully simple systems the game had and kept trying to make them complex for no reason. As for World of Tanks I got sick of what they were doing to the game's Meta where they would keep nerfing my favorite tanks, then they added these supid unrealistic Japanese tanks to the game and that's when I found Planetside 2 which I've stuck with ever since.

I haven't added any multiplayer games from this year, only single player games like Stardew Valley and Bit Blaster XL. Along with PS2, Minecraft and Rocket league make up most of my multiplayer game time. A little bit of CSGO every once in a while, but I'm not very good at it and don't care for the smaller scale compared to Planetside.  I'm considering some other single player titles from this year as well such as The Witness. I would also like to find a good version of Tetris that I can download and play without having to be connected to the internet on my browser.

So For me atleast the ideal game library seems to be around a dozen. I can't see myself ever putting more than 20 games onto a system. What about you guys though? Do you feel the need to have many terabytes of gaming content? How many games do you need to be happy?

1-3 from all the genres for me so 25 ish? I still like trying new games out though, even if they are the same genre. I think I'll probably have 100 games before I find the perfect games for me

He who asks is stupid for 5 minutes. He who does not ask, remains stupid. -Chinese proverb. 

Those who know much are aware that they know little. - Slick roasting me

Spoiler

AXIOM

CPU- Intel i5-6500 GPU- EVGA 1060 6GB Motherboard- Gigabyte GA-H170-D3H RAM- 8GB HyperX DDR4-2133 PSU- EVGA GQ 650w HDD- OEM 750GB Seagate Case- NZXT S340 Mouse- Logitech Gaming g402 Keyboard-  Azio MGK1 Headset- HyperX Cloud Core

Offical first poster LTT V2.0

5 minutes ago, Okjoek said:

SNIP

What? there is no "ideal number", I dont even understand your concept

I want to own every game, and have as many differnet experiences as possible, hence having 660 steam games so far, (lets not count console, origin, gog, handheld, ios etc)

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

23 on my Steam Library, most of them are AAA tiles with RPG genre

Scarlet KnightIntel Core i3 6100 || Antec A40 Pro CPU Cooler || MSI Z170A Gaming M5 || Kingston HyperX 16GB DDR4-2133MHz || Samsung 850 Evo 120GB || Seagate Barracuda 1TB || Gigabyte G1 Gaming R9 390X 8GB || Seasonic M12II 620W || In Win 503 || Corsair Strafe || Steelseries Kinzu V3 MSI Edition || Dell UltraSharp U2414H || Xiaomi Alumunium Mouse Pad (S)

#Gadget: 

Phone: BlackBerry Classic Q20, Samsung Galaxy Note 4 S-LTE SM-N916S

Console: PlayStation 4 500GB CUH-1206A

Tablet: iPad Air 2 16GB Wi-fi Only

Laptop: MSI GE62 (i7 4720HQ || 8GB DDR3 || NVIDIA GTX960M || Samsung 650 EVO 120GB + 1TB HDD)

In-ear Monitor: Xiaomi Piston 3.0

For me, the only ideal number of PC games to own are the number of games that I'll play. I usually have about 200 GB of games on a secondary hard drive at most, and if I stop playing, they get removed. I'll keep a small number of games that actually benefit from flash storage like Fallout 4 (or any Bethesda game) on the SSD.

Just now, ShadowCaptain said:

I agree the Op's question makes no sense at all. Does he mean installed games or games that we are playing simultaneously??

9 minutes ago, Okjoek said:

How many games do you need to be happy?

It's not really about number, to me it's what has come out that I might find fun overall I have hundreds of games but less than 25 PC titles if I'm recalling correctly

Just counted and it's 17

https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/631048-psu-tier-list-updated/ Tier Breakdown (My understanding)--1 Godly, 2 Great, 3 Good, 4 Average, 5 Meh, 6 Bad, 7 Awful

Just now, JohnT said:

I agree the Op's question makes no sense at all. Does he mean installed games or games that we are playing simultaneously??

I have all of them installed tbh (well 90%)

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

I usually only play one or two games at a time.

But it doesn't really matter for you. You should just do whatever makes you feel comfortable, and if you want terabytes on terabytes of 

games on your system just for bragging rights, go for it : D but in my opinion the experience is far more important than any kind of number.

Over 9000. 

Current PC: Origin Millennium- i7 5820K @4.0GHz | GTX 980Ti SLI | X99 Deluxe 

as many games as you like so you won't get bored

Spoiler

My system is the Dell Inspiron 15 5559 Microsoft Signature Edition

The Austrailian king of LTT said that I'm awesome and a funny guy. the greatest psu list known to man DDR3 ram guide

i got 477 posts in my first 30 days on LinusTechTips.com

4 minutes ago, themaniac said:

as many games as you like so you won't get bored

It would be wise to spend some of your time with a mate (like a female) instead of looking to video games to keep you occupied though

Just saying... then you can teach your kids how to play video games

Just now, JohnT said:

It would be wise to spend some of your time with a mate (like a female) instead of looking to video games to keep you occupied though

well when you are bored or have nothing to do, I never said he should stay inside playing games

Spoiler

My system is the Dell Inspiron 15 5559 Microsoft Signature Edition

The Austrailian king of LTT said that I'm awesome and a funny guy. the greatest psu list known to man DDR3 ram guide

i got 477 posts in my first 30 days on LinusTechTips.com

9 minutes ago, ShadowCaptain said:

Because I'm at work and I have to seek amusement where I can, I choose to believe he meant it scientifically.

In which case, the answer is 19. Science has determined that the objective best number of video games to own is 19. B|

18 minutes ago, JohnT said:

I apologize if I wasn't straight forward enough. I just mean to ask how many games you like to have installed on your PC. What makes you happy? Shadow Captain was right in the ideal sense that it would be nice to own all of them, but storage and price/play time ratios of the games come into account as limiting factors. When answering my question take into account:

1. How much storage space do you usually have access to to put games on?

2. How to spend your money in a way that you will have a number of games that see you playing them reasonably often?

Or am I still sounding too vague?

all the games OFC, why not? i have bought like 15 humble bundles(no i dont cheap out like some ashole, i do pay a decent amount) and im up to around 100 games now, most of which i havent played even lol. the games i play are Civ V, CS:GO, MC and some BeamNG.Drive but thats not all i have installed, i have TF2, Scraps and some other games too if i want to mix it up some. altho TF2 just killed itself... :( 

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

2 minutes ago, Okjoek said:

I apologize if I wasn't straight forward enough. I just mean to ask how many games you like to have installed on your PC. What makes you happy? Shadow Captain was right in the ideal sense that it would be nice to own all of them, but storage and price/play time ratios of the games come into account as limiting factors. When answering my question take into account:

1. How much storage space do you usually have access to to put games on?

2. How to spend your money in a way that you will have a number of games that see you playing them reasonably often?

Or am I still sounding too vague?

i have like 8 or so games installed, and then  200GB of random software i used once or twice lol, just get a 1TB HDD if you are worried about space, its not expensive and on my laptop(the one thats magical lol) i only have CS:GO becuase its litteraly all it can handle

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

I think the ideal number is however many you can install. I have a couple dozen installed at the moment.

i5-4670K ~ RX 470 ~ Z87MX-D3H ~ MX300 525GB ~ CM Hyper 212+ ~ 12GB 1600MHz Ram ~ EarthWatts 650 ~ NZXT GAMMA ~ WD Blue 250GB

I have about 7 installed, but I own probably 3 dozen or so.

Some I just can't seem to get through no matter how many times I try to play it (Assassin's Creed), and then other games are lifers... like Rocket League. NEVER leaving my HDD for the foreseeable future.

I own ~400 Games and have installed 3..so 3 is my ideal Number atm.

CPU i7 6700k MB  MSI Z170A Pro Carbon GPU Zotac GTX980Ti amp!extreme RAM 16GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance 3k CASE Corsair 760T PSU Corsair RM750i MOUSE Logitech G9x KB Logitech G910 HS Sennheiser GSP 500 SC Asus Xonar 7.1 MONITOR Acer Predator xb270hu Storage 1x1TB + 2x500GB Samsung 7200U/m - 2x500GB SSD Samsung 850EVO

What kind of question its this?

Just try to have as much games as you are able to play at a time and don't overspend money for more games when you haven't finished the ones you already have unless those you want to buy are multiplayer games which you can play with your friends.

6 hours ago, JohnT said:

Bullshit, been to 35 countries, have a car and motorbike, go airsofting sundays, have a girlfriend, see my mates, hang out with family, have a full time job and have 660 steam games

Just because somebody has lots of games and plays lots doenst mean they are neglecting their life

6 hours ago, JohnT said:

What kind of higher and mightier response is this?

Looking at your list of games maybe you should take your own advice.

Spend time with real chicks or dudes, not twitter or twitch cam whores.