Comcast sued by Washington State for 'near-worthless' service plans

Zambonie

comcast.jpg

Comcast has been sued by Washington State for their near-worthless service plans, for a little more then $100m. Washington state claims they illegally deceived customers with customer services.

They also state that Comcast deceived customers into paying $73 million for their 'near-worthless' protection plan

Of course, Comcast being Comcast, they denied the claims. They say that their protection plan has covered 99% of customers repair calls, as well as claiming that their wiring was all good, when in reality, it wasn't.

Yet another thing is that they've been accused of hurting about 6000 people's credit score through improper credit checks. Washington wants Comcast to repay all of the fees and fix the credit checks.

Good. Good good good.

Source: http://www.theverge.com/2016/8/1/12342728/comcast-sued-washington-state-ag-100-million 

Intel i5-6600k (Cooled by a 212 evo) - Asus Z170-A - Asus Dual OC GTX 1060 - NZXT S340 - WD 1TB (Getting SSD this month, hopefully) - 8GB DDR4-2400

LG G4 - Asus Zenwatch 2

6 minutes ago, Zambonie said:

Being the "I'd rather fix it myself than wait for the landlord" type of guy anyway, I have not purchased these plans (and didn't even know they existed).

But, being a Washingtonian...yay for my state. 

D3SL91 | Ethan | Gaming+Work System | NAS System | Photo: Nikon D750 + D5200

next up: UK government sues British Telecom plc for leaving line faults for 5+ months + a service 3x slower than the promised one

bregsit

Spoiler

PC specs: i7 4770s, Zotac GTX 1070 Mini, 16GB DDR3L 1600MHz (2x8GB, cheap Crucial RAM), Crucial BX500 480GB , 2x WD Blue 1TB, Seagate Barracuda 1TB, Windows 7

Laptop Specs: i5 5350U, Intel HD something, 8GB (probably DDR3 idk), 128GB Samsung(?) SSD, MacOS whatever the newest one is

11 minutes ago, imPixelTV said:

next up: UK government sues British Telecom plc for leaving line faults for 5+ months + a service 3x slower than the promised one

You could replace that with US, TWC/Charter/Comcast/ATT and it would still fit.

LINK-> Kurald Galain:  The Night Eternal 

Top 5820k, 980ti SLI Build in the World*

CPU: i7-5820k // GPU: SLI MSI 980ti Gaming 6G // Cooling: Full Custom WC //  Mobo: ASUS X99 Sabertooth // Ram: 32GB Crucial Ballistic Sport // Boot SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB

Mass SSD: Crucial M500 960GB  // PSU: EVGA Supernova 850G2 // Case: Fractal Design Define S Windowed // OS: Windows 10 // Mouse: Razer Naga Chroma // Keyboard: Corsair k70 Cherry MX Reds

Headset: Senn RS185 // Monitor: ASUS PG348Q // Devices: Note 10+ - Surface Book 2 15"

LINK-> Ainulindale: Music of the Ainur 

Prosumer DYI FreeNAS

CPU: Xeon E3-1231v3  // Cooling: Noctua L9x65 //  Mobo: AsRock E3C224D2I // Ram: 16GB Kingston ECC DDR3-1333

HDDs: 4x HGST Deskstar NAS 3TB  // PSU: EVGA 650GQ // Case: Fractal Design Node 304 // OS: FreeNAS

Should have gone with $100T

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list

8 minutes ago, Curufinwe_wins said:

yh but i get 1mbps (down) when i should be getting anywhere in between 3.5 and 5 so i'd notice it

bregsit

Spoiler

PC specs: i7 4770s, Zotac GTX 1070 Mini, 16GB DDR3L 1600MHz (2x8GB, cheap Crucial RAM), Crucial BX500 480GB , 2x WD Blue 1TB, Seagate Barracuda 1TB, Windows 7

Laptop Specs: i5 5350U, Intel HD something, 8GB (probably DDR3 idk), 128GB Samsung(?) SSD, MacOS whatever the newest one is

4 minutes ago, imPixelTV said:

yh but i get 1mbps (down) when i should be getting anywhere in between 3.5 and 5 so i'd notice it

I understand.

LINK-> Kurald Galain:  The Night Eternal 

Top 5820k, 980ti SLI Build in the World*

CPU: i7-5820k // GPU: SLI MSI 980ti Gaming 6G // Cooling: Full Custom WC //  Mobo: ASUS X99 Sabertooth // Ram: 32GB Crucial Ballistic Sport // Boot SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB

Mass SSD: Crucial M500 960GB  // PSU: EVGA Supernova 850G2 // Case: Fractal Design Define S Windowed // OS: Windows 10 // Mouse: Razer Naga Chroma // Keyboard: Corsair k70 Cherry MX Reds

Headset: Senn RS185 // Monitor: ASUS PG348Q // Devices: Note 10+ - Surface Book 2 15"

LINK-> Ainulindale: Music of the Ainur 

Prosumer DYI FreeNAS

CPU: Xeon E3-1231v3  // Cooling: Noctua L9x65 //  Mobo: AsRock E3C224D2I // Ram: 16GB Kingston ECC DDR3-1333

HDDs: 4x HGST Deskstar NAS 3TB  // PSU: EVGA 650GQ // Case: Fractal Design Node 304 // OS: FreeNAS

4 hours ago, Curufinwe_wins said:

TWC is actually decent. They're doing a lot of infrastructure upgrades right now actually.  For anyone wondering, you can browse the 'dslreports' forum and lookup most ISPs and service providers. 

eg: I have 200/20 from TWC, not shabby for $39. Were supposed to see 500+ mbps and gigabit download in 2017 assuming Charter continues the upgrades TWC has planned (DOCSIS 3.1)  

▶ Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow. The important thing is not to stop questioning. - Einstein◀

Please remember to mark a thread as solved if your issue has been fixed, it helps other who may stumble across the thread at a later point in time.

27 minutes ago, ionbasa said:

TWC is actually decent. They're doing a lot of infrastructure upgrades right now actually.  For anyone wondering, you can browse the 'dslreports' forum and lookup most ISPs and service providers. 

eg: I have 200/20 from TWC, not shabby for $39. Were supposed to see 500+ mbps and gigabit download in 2017 assuming Charter continues the upgrades TWC has planned (DOCSIS 3.1)  

15/1 for $45 pls. TWC doesn't give a shit.

4 hours ago, imPixelTV said:

I have a friend who lives less than 1/8 mile away from me, both of us were on BT ADSL and I was getting 20Mbps down (which is the max offered speed on that service) while Rick was getting 2Mbps down. 

When he queried them they did some tests and they determined that his his house was fitted with an old line that was restricting the speeds of his broadband so he called them up with me in the room and explained that I live on the same estate as him and that I was getting 10x his speed, the poor customer service rep couldn't give him an answer and tried to tell us that the less than 1/8 mile distance from the exchange was the reason for the difference. In the end he managed to get BT to cancel the contract by saying the service wasn't as described and not fit for purpose. 

Despite telling BT he was going to go for a different supplier they still cancelled his service instead of going through the moving process so he then had to wait 30 days before he could resubscribe to anybody else. 

He went with Sky and after the 30 days his new ADSL came up and he was getting 8Mbps for less than half the price of BT. 

BT suck as a telecommunications company, they've got the flat out worst support team I've ever dealt with. On one occasion I literally had to ask the guy to put someone on the phone who could speak English (a support rep saying "Account details take please may I" is not acceptable) and if you've got an ongoing problem that requires multiple callbacks your totally screwed because everytime you call back your starting from step one, there's no evidence of previous calls available to the reps afaict and if they ever promise to call you back just point blank refuse as it won't happen. 

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

100M isnt much for Comcast but I love Washington for calling them out on their bullshit!  I hope Comcast just wastes shit ton of money on lawyers and still loses the case :)  The Comcast customer service stories are the worst.  

Connection200mbps / 12mbps 5Ghz wifi

My baby: CPU - i7-4790, MB - Z97-A, RAM - Corsair Veng. LP 16gb, GPU - MSI GTX 1060, PSU - CXM 600, Storage - Evo 840 120gb, MX100 256gb, WD Blue 1TB, Cooler - Hyper Evo 212, Case - Corsair Carbide 200R, Monitor - Benq  XL2430T 144Hz, Mouse - FinalMouse, Keyboard -K70 RGB, OS - Win 10, Audio - DT990 Pro, Phone - iPhone SE

15 hours ago, Master Disaster said:

I have a friend who lives less than 1/8 mile away from me, both of us were on BT ADSL and I was getting 20Mbps down (which is the max offered speed on that service) while Rick was getting 2Mbps down. 

When he queried them they did some tests and they determined that his his house was fitted with an old line that was restricting the speeds of his broadband so he called them up with me in the room and explained that I live on the same estate as him and that I was getting 10x his speed, the poor customer service rep couldn't give him an answer and tried to tell us that the less than 1/8 mile distance from the exchange was the reason for the difference. In the end he managed to get BT to cancel the contract by saying the service wasn't as described and not fit for purpose. 

Despite telling BT he was going to go for a different supplier they still cancelled his service instead of going through the moving process so he then had to wait 30 days before he could resubscribe to anybody else. 

He went with Sky and after the 30 days his new ADSL came up and he was getting 8Mbps for less than half the price of BT. 

BT suck as a telecommunications company, they've got the flat out worst support team I've ever dealt with. On one occasion I literally had to ask the guy to put someone on the phone who could speak English (a support rep saying "Account details take please may I" is not acceptable) and if you've got an ongoing problem that requires multiple callbacks your totally screwed because everytime you call back your starting from step one, there's no evidence of previous calls available to the reps afaict and if they ever promise to call you back just point blank refuse as it won't happen. 

spoke to some indian bloke on the phone (he said he was called john but i think he's actually called rajpoot) and he said i needed to pay £110 to get the line fixed.

bregsit

Spoiler

Hmm let me think of another company with a worthless service plan...

Oh yea, microsoft! :D Their tech support is also a big-ass joke but whatever...

Nobody complains about that and just accepted it by now...

If you want my attention, quote meh! D: or just stick an @samcool55 in your post :3

Spying on everyone to fight against terrorism is like shooting a mosquito with a cannon

18 hours ago, AlwaysFSX said:

I pay $70 for 10/1, and even then I get constant DNS errors, despite switching ALL of my settings to Google DNS, and 3 FCC complaints with documentation.

15/1 for $45 sounds amazing by comparison. I can't even download a fucking Bandcamp album in FLAC, without it getting cut-off and corrupted.

YAY CENTURY LINK WORTHLESS INTERNET

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

And here i pay for 40/5 at 25$ per month :D

AMD Ryzen R7 1700 (3.8ghz) w/ NH-D14, EVGA RTX 2080 XC (stock), 4*4GB DDR4 3000MT/s RAM, Gigabyte AB350-Gaming-3 MB, CX750M PSU, 1.5TB SDD + 7TB HDD, Phanteks enthoo pro case

22 hours ago, AlwaysFSX said:

I'll be getting a upgrade to 300/20 and no extra fees ( there 50/6 - 100/20 - 200/20 - 300/20 are all the same price )

i7-6700k  Cooling: Deepcool Captain 240EX White GPU: GTX 1080Ti EVGA FTW3 Mobo: AsRock Z170 Extreme4 Case: Phanteks P400s TG Special Black/White PSU: EVGA 850w GQ Ram: 64GB (3200Mhz 16x4 Corsair Vengeance RGB) Storage 1x 1TB Seagate Barracuda 240GBSandisk SSDPlus, 480GB OCZ Trion 150, 1TB Crucial NVMe
(Rest of Specs on Profile)