Radeon RX 480 Benchmarks

HKZeroFive
1 minute ago, MilkJugg24 said:

Again, we'll have to wait for more drivers to see if the card really stands out.

And the fact that it's in the ballpark of a 970 is doing what people thought it was going to do, which is just to be a plain and simple "VR Ready" card.

Actually people thought it would be competitive with the GTX 970 and GTX 980. And it's just not.

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

2 minutes ago, MilkJugg24 said:

Again, we'll have to wait for more drivers to see if the card really stands out.

But didn't they already do the test on the existing drivers which are now available?

I mean how did they test against a 980 back then if the drivers weren't available :D

Intel 4770k@4.6GHz, ASUS ROG Maximus VI Hero, Kingston HyperX Beast 2x8GB 2400MHz CL11, Gigabyte GTX 1070 Gaming, Kingston HyperX 3k 240GB - RAID0 (2x120Gb), 2xWD 1TB (Blue and Green), Corsair H100i, Corsair AX860, CoolerMaster HAF X, ASUS STRIX Tactic pro, Logitech G400S, HyperX Cloud II, Logitech X530, Acer Predator X34.

4 minutes ago, LAwLz said:

But the problem is that it is not a good deal. Price:performance wise it will be pretty much the same as if you went out and bought a GTX 970 or R9 390 right now.

It is just as good of a deal as the previous generation cards.

PCIe 6-pin is rated for 75 watts.

So it's: 75w (6-pin) + 75w (motherboard) = 150 watts.

Oh okay, thank you. But I found another topic on nvidias site, regarding this same question:  "But it seems something confused here. The gtx 480 max power consumption is 250. But the motherboard can offer 75w+ 6pin offer 75+ 8pin offer 85=235w < 250w. why is that? for me it seems the offered power should be greater than 250....... "

https://forums.geforce.com/default/topic/472194/pci-e-power-cable-8-pin-vs-6-pin/

AMD Ryzen R9 5900X  | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360  |  GIGABYTE X570S AERO G  |  2x32GB G'skill TridentZ 4000MHz  | MSI RX 6900 XT Gaming Z Trio 16GB Dark Base Pro 900 (Orange)  | TOSHIBA 4TB 3.5" Drive - Game Drive | Crucial MX200 250GB 2.5" SSD - Boot Drive | Cooler Master V750 PSU |

Living Room PC: AMD Ryzen 2400G | MSI RX VEGA 56 8GB AERO | 2x8 GB Crucial Ballistix 2400MHz | Intenso 250GB SSD | Seagate 500 GB HDD | Node 202 + 850W PSU |

3 minutes ago, MilkJugg24 said:

And the fact that it's in the ballpark of a 970 is doing what people thought it was going to do, which is just to be a plain and simple "VR Ready" card.

thought 390 everyone expected well above the 390x, don't know why though we spend far too much time on rumours, nothing lives up to hype anymore. 

-------

Current Rig

-------

18 minutes ago, zMeul said:

all those people who sold their R9 290s, 390s and GTX970s are about to scratch their eyes out ... good! xD

And you wonder why people don't take you seriously.

Tag me even you hate on the GTX 1060 when it releases.

i7-6700k  Cooling: Deepcool Captain 240EX White GPU: GTX 1080Ti EVGA FTW3 Mobo: AsRock Z170 Extreme4 Case: Phanteks P400s TG Special Black/White PSU: EVGA 850w GQ Ram: 64GB (3200Mhz 16x4 Corsair Vengeance RGB) Storage 1x 1TB Seagate Barracuda 240GBSandisk SSDPlus, 480GB OCZ Trion 150, 1TB Crucial NVMe
(Rest of Specs on Profile)

3 minutes ago, MilkJugg24 said:

By the time we see drivers, we'll have Nvidia's competition and their marketing parade maybe Vega even. So much for Premium VR...

Where's RTG defenders? I hope they come back because everyone is kinda down in this thread. :(

You guys were just building this card up too much. It performs exactly as all of their marketing for the last year has indicated it would: minimum spec VR. The card trades blows with a 290x for $200. Just because it doesn't challenge the 980 Ti (why in the hell was anyone expecting this?) doesn't make this a bad card. I think it's pretty fucking awesome that there is a $200 card that murders 1080p now. Fuck the GTX 960, fuck the R9 380/380x, people don't have to compromise now on a budget. You can get a legitimate powerhouse of a card for $200 instead of some gimped piece of crap. If I didn't already have a GTX 970 I'd probably buy this card today. I think AMD is going to sell a boatload of these cards.

I was expecting it to be better than 390, but sadly it trades blows with the 390, it loses some and wins some. Kinda expected considering it only has 32 rops. Still not a bad card though.

EDIT: woah, if that 170W power draw is correct, then AMD just flat out lied about their efficiency

EDIT2: I'll wait until the Linustechtips review comes out before making final decisions, I was considering upgrading from my 970 to RX480, but now I'm not so sure, especially with the lack of rops. I hope AIB cards will be better than reference design.

hello!

is it me you're looking for?

ᴾC SᴾeCS ᴰoWᴺ ᴮEᴸoW

Spoiler

Desktop: X99-PC

CPU: i7 5820k

Mobo: X99 Deluxe

Cooler: Dark Rock Pro 3

RAM: 32GB DDR4
GPU: GTX 1080

Storage: 1TB 850 Evo, 1TB HDD, bunch of external hard drives
PSU: EVGA G2 750w

Peripherals: Logitech G502, Ducky One 711

Audio: Xonar U7, O2 amplifier (RIP), HD6XX

Monitors: 4k 24" Dell monitor, 1080p 24" Asus monitor

Laptop:

-Overkill Dell XPS

Fully maxed out early 2017 Dell XPS 15, GTX 1050 4GB, 7700HQ, 1TB nvme SSD, 32GB RAM, 4k display. 97Whr battery :x 
Dell was having a $600 off sale for the fully specced out model, so I decided to get it :P

-Crapbook

Fully specced out early 2013 Macbook "pro" with gt 650m and constant 105c temperature on the CPU (GPU is 80-90C) when doing anything intensive...

A 2013 laptop with a regular sized battery still has better battery life than a 2017 laptop with a massive battery! I think this is a testament to apple's ability at making laptops, or maybe how little CPU technology has improved even 4+ years later (at least, until the recent introduction of 15W 4 core CPUs). Anyway, I'm never going to get a 35W CPU laptop again unless battery technology becomes ~5x better than as it is in 2018.

Apple knows how to make proper consumer-grade laptops (they don't know how to make pro laptops though). I guess this mostly software power efficiency related, but getting a mac makes perfect sense if you want a portable/powerful laptop that can do anything you want it to with great battery life.

Was excited to switch to the red team for gpu acceleration but after what I've been reading it seems as though I'll stay with Nvidia for better drivers.

That's it. I am waiting for GTX 1060. It seems I am hyped for shitty 290 and less than GTX 970 performance.

I must learn my lesson to not hype any graphic card release in the future. Manufacturer are big lying mouth. Premium VR not even beating GTX 970. Shitty OC performance. Nope and Nope.

3 minutes ago, SteveGrabowski0 said:

You guys were just building this card up too much. It performs exactly as all of their marketing for the last year has indicated it would: minimum spec VR. The card trades blows with a 290x for $200. Just because it doesn't challenge the 980 Ti (why in the hell was anyone expecting this?) doesn't make this a bad card. I think it's pretty fucking awesome that there is a $200 card that murders 1080p now. Fuck the GTX 960, fuck the R9 380/380x, people don't have to compromise now on a budget. You can get a legitimate powerhouse of a card for $200 instead of some gimped piece of crap. If I didn't already have a GTX 970 I'd probably buy this card today. I think AMD is going to sell a boatload of these cards.

Agreed on most everything except murdering 1080p: my 290x just could not handle Witcher 3 max 1080p and high instead of ultra still couldn't get consistent 50fps in Novigrad. 

To "murder"  1080p I'd expect more than that, specially since max details do make a difference due to lower dpi overall. 

-------

Current Rig

-------

6 minutes ago, Edgar R. Zakarian said:

Oh okay, thank you. But I found another topic on nvidias site, regarding this same question:  "But it seems something confused here. The gtx 480 max power consumption is 250. But the motherboard can offer 75w+ 6pin offer 75+ 8pin offer 85=235w < 250w. why is that? for me it seems the offered power should be greater than 250....... "

https://forums.geforce.com/default/topic/472194/pci-e-power-cable-8-pin-vs-6-pin/

6-pin is 75W. 8-pin is 150w, not 85w.

Ye ole' train

22 minutes ago, raphidy said:

Not really, I want a 480 just for the power draw and not heating my room when gaming.

did you actually looked at the power draw and the abysmal thermals of the card xD

GTX1080 was "hot", check AMD's RX480 ... I wonder what the fuck will they do with RX490 and up - ALC all over again

1 hour ago, dlink377 said:

That's it. I am waiting for GTX 1060. It seems I am hyped for shitty 290 and less than GTX 970 performance.

I must learn my lesson to not hype any graphic card release in the future. Manufacturer are big lying mouth. Premium VR not even beating GTX 970. Shitty OC performance. Nope and Nope.

Try to come to a conclusion with the first and only Youtube review? :)

Gonna be that guy and say it:

his methodology is shoddy, at best.

His historical bias towards AMD is well known

benchmarks were made on different configurations, which skews the results somewhat

Drivers are probably iffy, so another gray area there

I'll just wait until more reviews come out before I spend my two cents.

Remember kids, the only difference between screwing around and science is writing it down. - Adam Savage

PHOΞNIX Ryzen 5 1600 @ 3.75GHz | Corsair LPX 16Gb DDR4 @ 2933 | MSI B350 Tomahawk | Sapphire RX 480 Nitro+ 8Gb | Intel 535 120Gb | Western Digital WD5000AAKS x2 | Cooler Master HAF XB Evo | Corsair H80 + Corsair SP120 | Cooler Master 120mm AF | Corsair SP120 | Icy Box IB-172SK-B | OCZ CX500W | Acer GF246 24" + AOC <some model> 21.5" | Steelseries Apex 350 | Steelseries Diablo 3 | Steelseries Syberia RAW Prism | Corsair HS-1 | Akai AM-A1

D.VA coming soon™ xoxo

Sapphire Acer Aspire 1410 Celeron 743 | 3Gb DDR2-667 | 120Gb HDD | Windows 10 Home x32

Vault Tec Celeron 420 | 2Gb DDR2-667 | Storage pending | Open Media Vault

gh0st Asus K50IJ T3100 | 2Gb DDR2-667 | 40Gb HDD | Ubuntu 17.04

Diskord Apple MacBook A1181 Mid-2007 Core2Duo T7400 @2.16GHz | 4Gb DDR2-667 | 120Gb HDD | Windows 10 Pro x32

Firebird//Phoeniix FX-4320 | Gigabyte 990X-Gaming SLI | Asus GTS 450 | 16Gb DDR3-1600 | 2x Intel 535 250Gb | 4x 10Tb Western Digital Red | 600W Segotep custom refurb unit | Windows 10 Pro x64 // offisite backup and dad's PC

Saint Olms Apple iPhone 6 16Gb Gold

Archon Microsoft Lumia 640 LTE

Gulliver Nokia Lumia 1320

Werkfern Nokia Lumia 520

Hydromancer Acer Liquid Z220

8 minutes ago, AluminiumTech said:

Actually people thought it would be competitive with the GTX 970 and GTX 980. And it's just not.... yet.

Fixed.

I'm not going to repeat myself again.

Spoiler

2 minutes ago, Deli said:

I already don't know which one is true, which one is pure bullshit.

I guess I will wait for an hour before the Linus/Anandtech review comes out before making conclusion.

Based on last few reviews, the performance is not what I expected at all.

Alric's review is fail of the year so far. Not only he used old divers and didn't give any info about power draw, fan speeds, noise and etc, but he also broke NDA, there is still one hour to go. And now he is claiming that he didn't know that NDA ends on specific hour, while the rest of the world including all reviewers and everybody else in the world know when NDA ends. He also got crashes on 1,5% OC while there are XFX models clocked at 1328 Mhz (5% OC) out of the box. Just 100% unreasonable, I am waiting for serious reviews from GamersNexus, Techpowerup, Purepc and etc.

Spoiler

CPU: i7-6900K 4.5 GHz | Motherboard: X99 Sabertooth | GPU: RTX 2080 Ti SLi | RAM: 32GB DDR4-3400 CL13 | SSD: SX8200 PRO 512GB | PSU: Corsair AX1600i | Case: InWin 805C | Monitor: LG 38UC99-W 85Hz | Keyboard: Wooting One Analog | Keypad: Azeron Compact Analog | Mouse: Swiftpoint Z | Audio: Klipsch Reference 5.1

so yeah .. remember people, next time AMD seems overly enthusiastic of a new product launch it's because the product is actually shitty xD

the barely beat their own GPU that has almost 3y under it's belt .. with a "revolutionary process node"

5 minutes ago, zMeul said:

did you actually looked at the power draw and the abysmal thermals of the card xD

No, well don't really care, 6 pin vs 6 pins +8 is still better for around the same perf. Less current in, less heat out depending on efficiency. Definitely less current in as it's not coming with 8 pins add on.

7 minutes ago, Misanthrope said:

Agreed on most everything except murdering 1080p: my 290x just could not handle Witcher 3 max 1080p and high instead of ultra still couldn't get consistent 50fps in Novigrad. 

To "murder"  1080p I'd expect more than that, specially since max details do make a difference due to lower dpi overall. 

That could be your cpu slowing you down in Novigrad. 1080p max pretty much needs a 980 Ti in Witcher 3, that game just chews up gpus. I have to do a lot of settings tweaking with my 970 to maintain a relatively smooth 60 fps, and it still dips into the 50s a lot.

6 minutes ago, Deli said:

Right let's just wait for everyone to post the exact same results except some BS numbers from Logan at tek syndicate that nobody will be able to reproduce. 

We've been down this road before you know... 

-------

Current Rig

-------

4 minutes ago, Tibbles said:

Wait for more reviews? You can't make judgement based on a single review. NDA ends in like 2 or 3 hours, doesn't it?

1 hour left

hello!

is it me you're looking for?

ᴾC SᴾeCS ᴰoWᴺ ᴮEᴸoW

Spoiler

Desktop: X99-PC

CPU: i7 5820k

Mobo: X99 Deluxe

Cooler: Dark Rock Pro 3

RAM: 32GB DDR4
GPU: GTX 1080

Storage: 1TB 850 Evo, 1TB HDD, bunch of external hard drives
PSU: EVGA G2 750w

Peripherals: Logitech G502, Ducky One 711

Audio: Xonar U7, O2 amplifier (RIP), HD6XX

Monitors: 4k 24" Dell monitor, 1080p 24" Asus monitor

Laptop:

-Overkill Dell XPS

Fully maxed out early 2017 Dell XPS 15, GTX 1050 4GB, 7700HQ, 1TB nvme SSD, 32GB RAM, 4k display. 97Whr battery :x 
Dell was having a $600 off sale for the fully specced out model, so I decided to get it :P

-Crapbook

Fully specced out early 2013 Macbook "pro" with gt 650m and constant 105c temperature on the CPU (GPU is 80-90C) when doing anything intensive...

A 2013 laptop with a regular sized battery still has better battery life than a 2017 laptop with a massive battery! I think this is a testament to apple's ability at making laptops, or maybe how little CPU technology has improved even 4+ years later (at least, until the recent introduction of 15W 4 core CPUs). Anyway, I'm never going to get a 35W CPU laptop again unless battery technology becomes ~5x better than as it is in 2018.

Apple knows how to make proper consumer-grade laptops (they don't know how to make pro laptops though). I guess this mostly software power efficiency related, but getting a mac makes perfect sense if you want a portable/powerful laptop that can do anything you want it to with great battery life.

9 minutes ago, zMeul said:

GTX1080 was "hot", check AMD's RX480 ... I wonder what the fuck will they do with RX490 and up - ALC all over again

Since you mentioned RX490.... Found a pic online...

s_4dcfbd1f3bcc4e88a24658b6a19ba71c.png

If it is not broken, let's fix till it is.