Scariest Thing That Happend To You With Your PC?

Jeroen1322

i overclocked my video card memory (about the max people were saying they could push it to) and the memory fried it self =[

my ram killed it self for no reason twice in 4 months =P

h50 leaked all over my computer for no reason :(

Intel i5 4670K 3.4GHz | EVGA 780Ti Classified | ASUS Gryphon Z87 w/ Armor Kit | G.Skill Sniper 8GB @1866MHz

Samsung 840 Evo 500GB | Seagate Barracuda 3TB | Kingwin Lazer 850W Bronze PSU | Corsair 350D Window

Razer Blackwidow Ultimate BF3 Edition | Razer Naga Molten

Probably the stupidest thing I've done is when I built my PC I forgot the CPU power cable and I was freaking out thinking I broke something I was on the verge of tears ( it was like 3AM so I was not in my right mind lol) then after a bit of searching Google I got it. Felt so stupid.

CPU AMD A10-5800k  GPU GTX 960 Gigabyte G1 Motherboard Asrock fm2a75m-dgs Ram G.skill 8gigs ddr3 PSU Corsair HX650 HDD Two 1TB Hitachi 7200 rpm Case Zalman z11

Keyboard CM Storm Quickfire TK with chery mx reds Mouse Logitech m500 Headset Logitech g430 Laptop Lenovo u310 touch Phone HTC one

I can't remember what I was doing with my PC but suddenly there was a BSOD message and before the pc had time to restart the screen started to show weird picture problems and then my pc turned off. I tried to restart the pc but nothing happened. Once I took away the side panel (no window), I saw the horror that had happened. My rig was watercooled and the CPU block had fractured and started leaking. The leakage destroyed my CPU, motherboard, RAM and GPU. I wasn't sure but I guessed my PSU was affected also so I threw away that as well. I didn't want to risk damaging my new setup.

After this incident, I didn't even consider watercooling my rig again. I learned the potential issues with watercooling the hard way. After many years, I have slowly started moving towards watercooling again. Although I'm still skeptical and running just H100i but maybe in the future I will do a custom loop again. At least the technology has gone a long way from the early days of watercooling.

Another incident happened when my raid 0 150 gb raptors failed. I still don't understand how both drives can fail at the same time. I weren't able to run neither of them separately afterwards. I lost my OS and couple of files which I hadn't backed up. Luckily I didn't loose anything really important.

Intel i7 4770k | Corsair H100i | Asus Maximus VI Extreme | 16Gb Corsair Dominator Platinum 1866MHz | Asus GTX 780 SLI | Samsung 830 Pro 256GB + 6TB WD Red | Asus Xonar Phoebus | Corsair AX860i | Corsair 900D | Win 8 Pro 64-bit | 2 x Dell U2412M | Logitech G710+ | Logitech G602

I had an old D5 pump die on me and spike my GPU temps up to around 70c before I noticed something had to be up.

Been running off an 8 year old aquarium pump now for about a year without any problems.  <_<

I accidentally tried plugging in my front USB connector while my computer was on. 

HUGE flash of sparks and some smoke.

scariest thing ever

that aint supposed to happen, I've plugged USB connectors into a mobo while it's on quite a lot in the past.

Spoiler

CPU: R5 1600 @ 4.2 GHz; GPU: Asus STRIX & Gigabyte g1 GTX 1070 SLI; RAM: 16 GB Corsair vengeance 3200 MHz ; Mobo: Asrock Taichi x470; SSD: 512 gb Samsung 950 Pro Storage: 5x Seagate 2TB drives; 1x 2TB WD PurplePSU: 700 Watt Huntkey; Peripherals: Acer S277HK 4K Monitor; Logitech G502 gaming mouse; Corsair K95 Mechanical keyboard; 5.1 Logitech x530 sound system

01000010 01101001 01101110 01100001 01110010 01111001 00100000 01100100 01101111 01100101 01110011 01101110 00100111 01110100 00100000 01101101 01100001 01101011 01100101 00100000 01111001 01101111 01110101 00100000 01110000 01110010 01101111 00101110

I try to avoid having to restart my computer because I'm afraid that Windows might decide not to start up again.

Desktop: Intel Core i7-6700K, ASUS Z170-A, ASUS STRIX GTX 1080 Ti, 16GB DDR4 RAM, 512 GB Samsund 840 Pro, Seasonic X series 650W PSU, Fractal Design Define R4, 2x5TB HDD

Hypervisor 1: Intel Xeon E5-2630L, ASRock EPC612D8, 16GB DDR4 ECC RAM, Intel RT3WB080 8-port RAID controller plus expansion card, Norco RPC-4020 case, 20x2TB WD Red HDD

Other spare hypervisors: Dell Poweredge 2950, HP Proliant DL380 G5

Laptops: ThinkPads, lots of ThinkPads

Probably the stupidest thing I've done is when I built my PC I forgot the CPU power cable and I was freaking out thinking I broke something I was on the verge of tears ( it was like 3AM so I was not in my right mind lol) then after a bit of searching Google I got it. Felt so stupid.

Thats what we get for staying up all night to build computers.

Desktop: Intel Core i7-6700K, ASUS Z170-A, ASUS STRIX GTX 1080 Ti, 16GB DDR4 RAM, 512 GB Samsund 840 Pro, Seasonic X series 650W PSU, Fractal Design Define R4, 2x5TB HDD

Hypervisor 1: Intel Xeon E5-2630L, ASRock EPC612D8, 16GB DDR4 ECC RAM, Intel RT3WB080 8-port RAID controller plus expansion card, Norco RPC-4020 case, 20x2TB WD Red HDD

Other spare hypervisors: Dell Poweredge 2950, HP Proliant DL380 G5

Laptops: ThinkPads, lots of ThinkPads

Cup with tad bit of water in it, I swear a few drops!, being knocked over dumping in to my 200mm fan on an Antec 1200, as I watched the drop of water slide down the 24pin connector to mobo then fry everything. Was an intersting day.

On Night i was having a beer or 2 watching Linus on youtube and MSI live update popped up blah blah click click click and off it goes updating  then omg whats it doing updating the bios i starting cringing, updating the bios while half cut this is not going to end well

Reboots and BSOD ARGHHH!!!

a few hours later after much diagnosis and Stella i still i get BSOD now the fridge is now empty  of to bed i go :(

Next day wakes up ouch sore head goes into the  bios and changes the IDE mode from AHCI back to Raid and of it goes lol 

or drinks spilled over your keyboard 

oh that is awful happend like 4 times :(

My keyboard is waterproof and tested

• 5 years later...

Happened yesterday, opened up my rig to do a small mod (cover the red LEDs on my Soundblaster with electrical tape). Set the tower back in and everything worked fine. So I was doing some web browsing and my GPU's fan just suddenly decides to floor it. I thought it was because I also installed the flow control software for my EVGA AIO. And the fan also made a sound of some cable being in it. after a few seconds, the fans stop. Not just slow down, but completely stop spinning. I thought I just borked my graphics card. turned out, when I put the soundcard back in, the cable for the front panel audio connectors has a little wire that makes pulling it out easier, that blocked the fan. 

My mom hovered the cursor over the "homework" folder.

/s

Resident Mozilla Shill.   Typed on my Ortholinear JJ40 custom keyboard
               __     I am the ASCIIDino.
              / _)
     _.----._/ /      If you can see me you 
    /         /       must put me in your 
 __/ (  | (  |        signature for 24 hours.
/__.-'|_|--|_|        

A cap on my graphics card blew up - the PC instantly shut off and I could smell burnt plastic. Had a bit of a heart attack there. Fortunately it was one of the power delivery caps and that part of the card had 5 parallel circuits, more than was necessary even for an R9 290 - the card works fine to this day after I scraped off the burnt section and replaced another cap that was damaged in the fire but it's not in my main system (I got a R9 Fury for cheap from a friend).

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

HDD partition table got corrupted after a series of Ubuntu crashes on an old laptop.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

On 9/28/2013 at 2:13 PM, 911^NEmeSis said:

Don't even wanna start talking about losing data and stuff dying :D

Well, when I went to copy data over from my external HDD onto my freshly built desktop (because my laptop recently had a drive failure, was replaced with a SSD, and the external was the main bulk storage, and I was saving up for the desktop instead of getting more drives), the drive failed to show itself. In disk manager, I saw the drive show up as Unallocated. Like a dummy, I tried Initialize, which upon connecting to my laptop (where everything showed up just prior), I realized my grave mistake in wiping the partition records. 

Thankfully, none of the data itself was touched (as I at least had the better sense than to write to the thing I'm trying to recover data frkm), so my desktop's first task was the recovery of the partitions via TestDisk. Took about a full day, and after everything was recovered, I wasted no time in transferring everything over.

I really need more drives soon. My camera is munching through my storage like crazy, my pc and my external drives are both running low. I'll need at least two drives (one to back up the other), if not more. Yippee for more expenses.  ?

My eyes see the past…

My camera lens sees the present…

Last year, my previous PSU died so thoroughly that it would automatically cause the circuit breaker to flip as soon I plugged the PSU into the wall and turned it on.

This sorry event was followed by a few nerve-wracking days of me wondering if any other components have been fried, while I waited for the new PSU to arrive. 

Luckily, all the other components were fine, so that nameless Cooler Master experimental PSU definitely gets a Press F from me. 

EDIT: Also, I spilled a large cappuccino over my Razer Blackwidow Ultimate Classic while it was on. I dried the keyboard off and it survived without any issues whatsoever. Made me respect Razer build quality a whole lot more. 

Ryzen 1600x @4GHz

Asus GTX 1070 8GB @1900MHz

16 GB HyperX DDR4 @3000MHz

Asus Prime X370 Pro

Samsung 860 EVO 500GB

Noctua NH-U14S

Seasonic M12II 620W

+ four different mechanical drives.

Had a server, i remoted into, and i felt like something was wrong, first it had chrome installed, and i felt like i had never installed chrome..

but, disregarded it, one day i logged in, it said that another user was using it, and i forced him off. got into an open russian Gmail account, some dating elements, a lot of history in the chrome browser, and even some fedex elements, i screencapped everything, closed his gmail account, and closed all remote access ports. 

i was nervous after that, and a bit paranoid.

I've had a bunch of PSU's blow up. that's always scary AF. 

a big boom, a spark and then the power goes out so I'm in the complete darkness. and I'm afraid of the dark. 

She/Her

Swapped out RAM sticks, system craps itself for 5minutes and refuses to POST.

Cue frantic swapping and re-seating of RAM, CMOS & other motherboard connectors (power, USB etc.)

Eventually the motherboard comes to it senses, I managed to get into BIOS and reset everything to default.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600  Heatsink: ID-Cooling Frostflow X GPU: Zotac GTX 1060 Mini 6GB RAM: KLEVV Bolt 3600Mhz (2x8GB) Mobo: ASUS B550-F ROG Strix (Wifi)  Case: Fractal Design Meshify C PSU: Deepcool DQ-M-V2L

On 9/28/2013 at 2:32 PM, bob345 said:

The first time turning on a PC and nothing happens. Then you realize you forgot to turn on the psu.

I had that happen to me but reverse. I turned on the psu, but not the case power button. 

I once got a PSU from a friend who said it was malfunctioning. When I turned it on (or rather the computer it was part of), it started producing black smoke and continued for a while. Since its fan was still working, it was effectively a smoke machine. I then decided I didn't want to continue that experiment, switched the whole thing off and replaced the faulty PSU.

7 minutes ago, greenhorn said:

I once got a PSU from a friend who said it was malfunctioning. When I turned it on (or rather the computer it was part of), it started producing black smoke and continued for a while. Since its fan was still working, it was effectively a smoke machine. I then decided I didn't want to continue that experiment, switched the whole thing off and replaced the faulty PSU.

i remember LC power psu´s have bought 4 of them, 2 worked, flawlessly and lownoise, the other two produced large amount of white smoke while running, fortunately not killing the pc, but still gave me a bit of a surprise.

nothing hardware related. thats just frustrating but in way has it ever been scary. 

idk probably some of the regular viruses i would get on my pc when i was 12 or so.

i used to rip all the games and movies for the whole friend group when i was young and you know...from time to time i would get myself into trouble. 

one time we had to go to a lawyer because some scam company wanted money because appernetly i subscribed to something but since i was underage that went away quickly. nonetheless scary at the time

"You know it'll clock down as soon as it hits 40°C, right?" - "Yeah ... but it doesnt hit 40°C ... ever  😄"

GPU: MSI GTX1080 Ti Aero @ 2 GHz (watercooled) CPU: Ryzen 5600X (watercooled) RAM: 32GB 3600Mhz Corsair LPX MB: Gigabyte B550i PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Hyte Revolt 3