Scariest Thing That Happend To You With Your PC?

Jeroen1322

or drinks spilled over your keyboard 

oh that is awful happend like 4 times :(

When turned my very first pc on, instead off booting - the PSU put out a very big flame, about 20 cm! It was freaking awesome, and funny at first, then I was like, wait.. that can't be good. 

Luckly I only had to change the PSU and it booted back up. 

NZXT Phantom windowed, Asus Z77 Sabertooth, Intel 2600K, Noctua NH-D14, EVGA 780 Classified, Crucial Ballistic Tactical, Crucial M4 128GB + Samsung 850 EVO, Corsair RM850, Creative X-Fi Fatal1ty Peripherals: Sennheiser HD598, FinalMouse Classic, SteelSeries Qck Heavy, Ducky Shine Zero (MX Brown), AOC G2460PF & Qnix QX2710

Build Log: Phantom - Antique Noctua

My PC seemed to take longer to post after I replaced my cooler. Scared the shit out of me.

When turned my very first pc on, instead off booting - the PSU put out a very big flame, about 20 cm! It was freaking awesome, and funny at first, then I was like, wait.. that can't be good. 

Luckly I only had to change the PSU and it booted back up. 

dafaq what psu ? cheap psu ? 

i had a massive leak when i was doing my lateist build and my gpu (titan) was sparking at the pcie slot, so i immeditly turned it off and took it out, i look at the gold contacts and it was black was burtness, i paniced and cleaned it up as fast as possible and let it dry for 24 hours and i pluged it in the next day and it worked just fine like nothing ever happend... i was pretty scrared 

Cpu: Intel i7 4770k @4.4 Ghz | Case: Corsair 350D | Motherbord: Z87 Gryphon | Ram: dominator platinum 4X4 1866 | Video Card: SLI GTX 980 Ti | Power Supply: Seasonic 1000 platinum | Monitor: ACER XB270HU | Keyboard: RK-9100 | Mouse: R.A.T. 7 | Headset : HD 8 DJ | Watercooled

i had a massive leak when i was doing my lateist build and my gpu (titan) was sparking at the pcie slot, so i immeditly turned it off and took it out, i look at the gold contacts and it was black was burtness, i paniced and cleaned it up as fast as possible and let it dry for 24 hours and i pluged it in the next day and it worked just fine like nothing ever happend... i was pretty scrared 

I would be scared to! 

[CPU: AMD FX-6100 @3.3GHz ] [MoBo: Asrock 970 Extreme4] [GPU: Gigabyte 770 OC ] [RAM: 8GB] [sSD: 64gb for OS] [PSU: 550Watt Be Quiet!] [HDD: 1TB] [CPU cooler: Be Quiet! Shadow Rock Pro Sr1]  -Did i solve your question/problem? Please click 'Marked Solved'-

The first time turning on a PC and nothing happens. Then you realize you forgot to turn on the psu.

Case: Phanteks Evolve X with ITX mount  cpu: Ryzen 3900X 4.35ghz all cores Motherboard: MSI X570 Unify gpu: EVGA 1070 SC  psu: Phanteks revolt x 1200W Memory: 64GB Kingston Hyper X oc'd to 3600mhz ssd: Sabrent Rocket 4.0 1TB ITX System CPU: 4670k  Motherboard: some cheap asus h87 Ram: 16gb corsair vengeance 1600mhz

The first time turning on a PC and nothing happens. Then you realize you forgot to turn on the psu.

LOL that happens everyone :P

One stick of RAM had a stuck bit, and had to re flash the RAM SPD. It involved taking out the RAM stick, then booting up and Hot Inserting the affected RAM stick with the pc on and then reflashing the module with SPDTool (http://www.techpowerup.com/forums/showthread.php?t=20349).

My heart was skipping beats trying to hot plug the module with my pc on.

Also applying the BSEL and VID mod on my Pentium D 775 chip.

▶ Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow. The important thing is not to stop questioning. - Einstein◀

Please remember to mark a thread as solved if your issue has been fixed, it helps other who may stumble across the thread at a later point in time.

This doesn't belong in general discussion and I am sure there are already several posts on this

Off topic

He must have forgot you are junior deputy no Badge from the internet police...

When I thought I was stuck with Linux after my mom told me that: "If you take the HDD out of your Laptop it will be destroyed!" The next day I was fed up with Linux so I took it out anyway and used windows that was on the HDD to boot up then I downloaded Win7 Ultimate off of the school website, Put the HDD in my Laptop, and told my mom I had destroyed it. she flipped out. xD She still thinks I broke it isomehow though. another problem I had when building my computer was when I tested my stuff out of the case and tried to disconnect the 24-pin power connector. It wouldn't come off and the mobo and it was flexing really bad. Eventually I was able to wiggle it out. that was a tense 10 minutes.

| Case: NZXT Tempest 210 | CPU: Intel Core i5 3570K @ 3.9 Ghz | GPU: ASUS ROG STRIX GTX 1070 | RAM: Crucial Ballistix Tactical 8GB |

| Mouse: Zowie FK1 | Monitor: Acer 21.5' | Keyboard: CoolerMaster Stealth w/ Brown Switches |

#KilledMyWife - #LinusButtPlug - #1080penis

Nothing scary has ever happened, other than had my few friends and my little sister use them: back like few years ago when my little sister used my computer and raged at it being so slow (even it was the fastest PC in our house), she punched my computer a lot (luckily it was my old one, it's still alive though). And from few years ago to this day, whenever some of my friends use my PC, they won't just type normally and use mouse normally: they literally smash my keyboard and my mouse, because they aren't theirs, so they won't be losing anything even if they broke them. Even when I got my Attitude One Vintorez -mouse and had my one friend use it, he literally just smashed the buttons like he wanted it to get broken.

Never trust my advice. Only take any and all advice from me with a grain of salt. Just a heads up.

Bad torrret made every game in 3-d and I formated the drive wrong and screwed up my bios

has to reformat the bios and install linux then windows from linux before my mom got home. 

#KilledMyWife 

LTT's Resident Black Star

I should get an award for still being here at this point 

Bad torrret made every game in 3-d and I formated the drive wrong and screwed up my bios

has to reformat the bios and install linux then windows from linux before my mom got home. 

reformat the bios?

Nothing scary has ever happened, other than had my few friends and my little sister use them: back like few years ago when my little sister used my computer and raged at it being so slow (even it was the fastest PC in our house), she punched my computer a lot (luckily it was my old one, it's still alive though). And from few years ago to this day, whenever some of my friends use my PC, they won't just type normally and use mouse normally: they literally smash my keyboard and my mouse, because they aren't theirs, so they won't be losing anything even if they broke them. Even when I got my Attitude One Vintorez -mouse and had my one friend use it, he literally just smashed the buttons like he wanted it to get broken.

You need better friends. The worst that I might do to my friend's stuff is getting his controller sweaty xD (he's a Kool Konsole Kid and claims that the PC doesn't have "'Dat Feel" even thought I told him you can connect your controller to the computer and the computer to the TV)

| Case: NZXT Tempest 210 | CPU: Intel Core i5 3570K @ 3.9 Ghz | GPU: ASUS ROG STRIX GTX 1070 | RAM: Crucial Ballistix Tactical 8GB |

| Mouse: Zowie FK1 | Monitor: Acer 21.5' | Keyboard: CoolerMaster Stealth w/ Brown Switches |

#KilledMyWife - #LinusButtPlug - #1080penis

>> Forced a mini jack plug into a USB port shorting it out and killing my system. 

Does anyone even use PCIe SSDs?

You need better friends. The worst that I might do to my friend's stuff is getting his controller sweaty xD (he's a Kool Konsole Kid and claims that the PC doesn't have "'Dat Feel" even thought I told him you can connect your controller to the computer and the computer to the TV)

Well... Those friends are nice, but for some reason they don't think that pressing buttons lightly won't register anything, so they use excessive force.

And yes. I need better friends. Now any of my friends don't care whether I'm alive or not. And most of my hometown's people seem to hate me for no reason and want me to die, even I have done nothing! Like it's not enough that just teens bully me a lot: adults encourage to continue it until I commit a suicide.

Never trust my advice. Only take any and all advice from me with a grain of salt. Just a heads up.

reformat the bios?

flash* 

#KilledMyWife 

LTT's Resident Black Star

I should get an award for still being here at this point 

I flashed my bios on my old pc when I was like 11 yrs old, and when it booted, it threw up some weird error message and didn't boot. At that point I was freaking out and like "ermagerd I broke teh computer!1!!!1!", as it didn't have dual bios or anything like that. Later it turned out it was just a few wrong options in the default bios settings.

I flashed my bios and my computer didn't boot but after a CMOS reset it fixed it. :)

I think there is a similar thread like this but forgot which one it was.

Hello and Welcome to LTT Forum!

If you are a new member, please read the rules located in "Forum News and Info". Thanks!  :)

Linus Tech Tips Forum Code of Conduct           FAQ           Privacy Policy & Legal Disclaimer

When my old HDD died. :(

Spoiler

CPU:Intel Xeon X5660 @ 4.2 GHz RAM:6x2 GB 1600MHz DDR3 MB:Asus P6T Deluxe GPU:Asus GTX 660 TI OC Cooler:Akasa Nero 3

SSD:OCZ Vertex 3 120 GB HDD:2x640 GB WD Black Fans:2xCorsair AF 120 PSU:Seasonic 450 W 80+ Case:Thermaltake Xaser VI MX OS:Windows 10
Speakers:Altec Lansing MX5021 Keyboard:Razer Blackwidow 2013 Mouse:Logitech MX Master Monitor:Dell U2412M Headphones: Logitech G430

Big thanks to Damikiller37 for making me an awesome Intel 4004 out of trixels!

Plugged in my screen after testing my PSU in someone else machine and it was apesh*t.

Almost sure it was the graphics card I took it to the suppliers and they gave me a new one no questions asked, plugged it in same thing.

I'm starting to think its a PCI issue, which is really bad since my Mobo doesnt have onboard VGA.

Decided to plug in a different screen, worked right as rain.

Turned out my DVI cable was broken........

I'm the one who overclocks.

CPU: i5 2500k w/CM Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO OC'd@4.2GHz RAM: Corsair Vengeance 8GB  MOBO: Intel Burrage DP67BG GPU: MSI GTX770 Twin Frozr 2GB HDD: 2x Seagate 2TB Barracuda PSU: Gigabyte ODIN 550W

I was messing around in the bios and Doubled the meory frequency. 

I saved and exited the bios and my pc didn't posted

Almost had an heart attack. 

Then I found out that I needed to remove the cmos battery and everything went back to normal

I actually was a litle dissapointed because everything worked again. I really need an upgrade

Edit: After reading these pages it looks like the scariest things happened when flashing/messing in the bios

Edited by ciprian97pop

AMD Athlon X4 750k; Gigabyte F2A88XM-DS2; 8Gb Corsair XMS 1600 Mhz; AMD Hd5670 1Gb DDR3; Bequiet E6-600W; W7 Ultimate x64

#KILLEDMYWIFE                                                                                                                                                                                                                         so miner; very doge; much value   

Dell Vostro 5470: i5 4200U Nvidia GT740m 2Gb 14" 1366x768 Kingston V300 120Gb