Scariest Thing That Happend To You With Your PC?

Jeroen1322

103°C? That pretty damn hot.

I used to have a graphics card(some super low end card that came in an HP) that regularly ran between 107 and 109 degrees celcius. Cannot imagine that was particularly good for the card, it died after about 2 years.

Desktop: Core i5-2500K, ASUS GTX 560, MSI Z68A GD65, CM HAF 912 Advanced, OCZ Vertex 4, WD 1TB Black, Seasonic P660, Samsung S27A850D, Audioengine A2, Noctua NH-D14, NB eLoops

Laptop: Lenovo Thinkpad X1 Carbon

Peripherals: Razer Blackwidow Ultimate 2013, Razer Deathadder 3.5G, Razer Deathadder 2013, Razer Goliathus Control, Razer Manticor

When I was about 11 years old I put a mini CD into a macbook... It took hours of upside down shaking to finally get it out.

While installing a new cooler i dropped a 580 right on the floor, happily it didn't break

Milk shake thrown near my pc. (dont ask, was not on purpose)

Some drops made it through the top in take and landed the GPU and PSU.

I immediatly turned the pc off when I saw the milkshake drops go in my pc.

Everything was magically fine when I cleaned and booted up again.

CPU - Intel Core i5 3570K | CPU Cooler -  Cooler Master Hyper EVO 212  | GPU - NVIDIA EVGA GTX 780 | SSD - Samsung 840pro 120 GB | HDD - Toshiba 2TB 7200RPM | PSU - Corsair TX 750w | RAM - Corsair DDR3 12 GB @ 1333mhz | Case - Rosewill Mid ATX Blackhawk | Monitor - ASUS IPS 23' | Keyboard - Corsair Vengence k70 cherry MX brown | Mouse - Logitech G-400

I had an old VelociRaptor (the 30-ish GB variant) and it died and something came loose and hit the lid and made a dent. It made this really loud and high pitched squealing and a loud bang. Scared the crap out of me.

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

Idiot friend switched my PSU from 240v (which it was running at) to 120v and it blew up, i thought the whole system died luckly only the PSU failed 

I'm a n00b when it comes to the voltages on PSUs, what is the big difference between 240 and 120?

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

Nothing scary has ever happened, other than had my few friends and my little sister use them: back like few years ago when my little sister used my computer and raged at it being so slow (even it was the fastest PC in our house), she punched my computer a lot (luckily it was my old one, it's still alive though). And from few years ago to this day, whenever some of my friends use my PC, they won't just type normally and use mouse normally: they literally smash my keyboard and my mouse, because they aren't theirs, so they won't be losing anything even if they broke them. Even when I got my Attitude One Vintorez -mouse and had my one friend use it, he literally just smashed the buttons like he wanted it to get broken.

give them a good beating, your pc and peripherals are also your friends and need to be treated as such, can't let your friends bully your other friends, tell them this is how your pc feels when they abuse it :P.

I took a few jumpers off.

Comp didnt start.

looked the same as the ''jumpers'' on DVI and hdmi outs on new graphic cards

CPU: Ryzen 2600 GPU: RX 6800 RAM: ddr4 3000Mhz 4x8GB  MOBO: MSI B450-A PRO Display: 4k120hz with freesync premium.

I saw a spark coming out of my old 9600GT while I was playing. I still have no idea why that happened. The card still works.

My PC once turned itself on in the middle of the night. Couldn't sleep afterwards....

CPU: i7 - 2600kGPU: GTX 1070Mobo: intel somethingRAM: Corsair XMS3 @1600Mhz (8GB)SSD: Crucial MX100 256GB. HDD: WD Green 1TB . Case: Cooler Master HAF XB EVO Monitors: LG 25UM65-P and Benq 2200HD Keyboard: Corsair vengeance K70 FPS Red switch. Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Core. Headset: Steelseries Siberia V2

Accidentally started my PC with 256MB of ram in msconfig. Couldn't find the problem until I realized what was happening, took 1 hour to turn on, 10 mins to start up explorer.exe, 5 mins from the time I clicked the start button to the start menu showing up, 15mins for me to type in 'msconfig' and it actually showing up, another 5-7 mins for ms config to start up, after I unchecked the 'Start with X amount of ram' box It took another hour to turn off

FX-6300 @ 4.1 MHz; Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo; XFX Radeon 7870 Core Edition; Arock 970 Extreme 3; Corsair CX600; Corsair Vengeance Blue 8GB(2x4GB) DDR3 @1600MHz; Seagate Barracuda 1TB; Zalman Z9 Case

Asus U43F-BBA7; i5-460M @ 2.53GHz; Crucial 8GB(2x4GB) @1333MHz; Intel 520 120GB SSD

building my brothers system, pressed the power button, and psu started sparking out the back. the breaker flipped and power went out in his room

lol A quart = 2 pints. Must've been spilling that milk for a while ;)

Intel 3770K @ 4.4GHz (Summer) - 4.6GHz (Winter) / Asus P8Z77-V Deluxe / EVGA GTX 680 /w Arctic Twin Turbo II / 16GB Corsair Vengeance @ 1866MHz / Samsung 840 Pro 128GB (Steam) / OCZ Vertex 4 128GB (Boot/Office/Steam) / Seagate Barracuda 2TB x2 (RAID 1, Storage) / Asus Xonar D2X / OCZ 1250W ZX / H80i /w 2 x Gentle Typhoons / Cooler Master HAF X /w Pioneer Blu Ray, Aerocool V12XT, 4 x Cooler Master MegaFlows (Red) / Logitech Z906, G930, G19 & G700

Do you mean computer instead of CPU? CPU = Central Processing Unit = the processor.

haha sorry ,  i meant my rig

Doing a bios flash using Bios Flashback feature then it taking a solid 5 minutes to boot, nothing happened for 5 minutes just black screen.

Then it came to life  :lol: I've not done it since...

This doesn't belong in general discussion and I am sure there are already several posts on this

There's no need to be so anal about it, Frankly the seriousness of people on the forum is getting annoying.

Building a PC: check it out here http://pcpartpicker.com/p/1qvon

Lots of randomly occurring BSOD's

May the Force be with you.

Motherboard tech support on phone recommended pulling cpu out  and try to post on dead board, which I RMA'd btw. Balancing phone while pulling heatsink, glued CPU, bent pins. Bent all pins back. Socketed, unsocketed, repeat. Trying to troubleshoot. Pins broke off. Told Amazon, Biostar tech recommended a CPU RMA. New FX 8350 next day. Close one...

On another note. Flying sparks are scary. Jumpers suck. period.

Air 540, MSI Z97 Gaming 7, 4770K, SLI EVGA 980Ti, 16GB Vengeance Pro 2133, HX1050, H105840 EVO 500, 850 Pro 512, WD Black 1TB, HyperX 3K 120, SMSNG u28e590d, K70 Blues, M65 RGB.          Son's PC: A10 7850k, MSI A88X gaming, MSI gaming R9 270X, Air 240, H55, 8GB Vengeance pro 2400, CX430, Asus VG278HE, K60 Reds, M65 RGB                                                                                       Daughter's PC: i5-4430, MSI z87 gaming AC, GTX970 gaming 4G, pink air 240, fury 1866 8gb, CX600, SMSNG un55HU8550, CMstorm greens, Deathadder 2013

Once with my old pc I lost the front 5.25 inch bay covers and the front was just opened for few days and after few days I bought new covers and covered it. But after a month or so pc stopped working suddenly. Then I diagnosed it but still didn't found anything. Then finally I opened it and saw that a rat gave birth to its baby rats in it. And they have all eaten the sata and power cables inside it. 

Lol. 

On another note. Flying sparks are scary. Jumpers suck. period.

Correction: Flying sparks are AWESOME. :P

Intel 3770K @ 4.4GHz (Summer) - 4.6GHz (Winter) / Asus P8Z77-V Deluxe / EVGA GTX 680 /w Arctic Twin Turbo II / 16GB Corsair Vengeance @ 1866MHz / Samsung 840 Pro 128GB (Steam) / OCZ Vertex 4 128GB (Boot/Office/Steam) / Seagate Barracuda 2TB x2 (RAID 1, Storage) / Asus Xonar D2X / OCZ 1250W ZX / H80i /w 2 x Gentle Typhoons / Cooler Master HAF X /w Pioneer Blu Ray, Aerocool V12XT, 4 x Cooler Master MegaFlows (Red) / Logitech Z906, G930, G19 & G700

My PC once turned itself on in the middle of the night. Couldn't sleep afterwards....

Same happened with my previous PC (HP Compaq dc7600) like every 2 months. It just randomly started somewhere between 0.30 and 2.45 AM. Then I deleted Windows and it hasn't happened ever since.

Never trust my advice. Only take any and all advice from me with a grain of salt. Just a heads up.

Hmmm... where do i start?

1) It was my first time building a rig and I placed my brand new shiny 660ti direct CUII on the top of my tower while i did some stuff inside. I couldn't reach something in the case so I tilted it back, and I'm pretty sure you can guess what happened. Luckily only the metal piece of mount thingy got bent and I was able to bend it back with my hands, card worked perfectly fine after that. Still scary as hell.

2) 1st time setting up my watercooling loop, excited as balls!!! Flipped my shit when the jumper I was using for the 24-pin touched my case, thought it was gonna fry the PSU and the pump. *NOTHING HAPPENED*  :lol:

3) Just finished sleeving & customising cables for my PSU, installed everything, boot drive doesn't show up. So I figured it was the SATA cables, checked and re-plugged all the connections, still nothing. Boot drive does not show up in the BIOS. I'm thinking, maybe there is no power going to the drive, I can hear it spin up but lets just check to be sure. Since I had already put on the rear side panel & managed to wiggle the SATA cables out, I thought I could just pull the drive out and the power cable would come off, because I made it so the wires were tight between the drives and the connectors. (stupidest idea ever) Gave it a good yank, drive came out. Went to put back the drive & powered on.

*SPARKS AND SMOKE* Immediately shut off power, let it sit for a while (still pretty scared). Eventually pulled the drive out and looked around, found I had broken the SATA power connector when I pulled it out, the only thing left were the metal pins, the plastic support around it had been broken off. FUUUUUU..... bought a new board for the HDD and swapped the BIOS chip over, everything was dandy. Probably the worst and the most stupid thing I've done in PC building thus far.

Looking forward to making more expensive mistakes  :D  :D  :D  :D

B) **BLOOP** B)

I was showing my friend my new loop that I made and he decided to wiggle around some of the acrylic tubing in there to see how hard it was and split a tube and water started gushing out everywhere.

did you punch him?

| i5 3570 | Palit GTX 680 jetsream | Gigabyte Z77x-ud3h | Corsair Vengeance 2x4 1600mhz | WD Caviar Black  1TB | Corsair TX 650m | Coolemaster Hyper212 X | NZXT Pantom 410 | Asus VS239 | Logitech G400s |

Click here to learn how to troll