AMD Computex 2016 - Polaris and Zen Revealed

1 minute ago, Energycore said:

I don't think we should care about utilization since it's less important than the actual performance of the card. Which we don't really know yet since they only benchmarked crossfire on a single game.

Which we wont know until the end of this month LOL. That's quite a long NDA given we already know the spec of the card.

My rig: Intel Core i7 4790k | MSI Z97 PC Mate | GSKILL Ripjaws X 16GB 1866MHz | ADATA Premier SP550 480GB SSD | Seagate Barracuda 3TB | Seagate Barracuda 2TB  | MSI Gaming X GTX 1070 | Thermaltake Versa N21 | Corsair CX550M Semi Modular PSU | AOC G2460PF 144Hz | Logitech G502 | GSKILL Ripjaws KM780  | GAMDIAS HEPHAESTUS V2  PCPartPicker | Old Build Log | New Build Log

2 minutes ago, Energycore said:

I don't think we should care about utilization since it's less important than the actual performance of the card. Which we don't really know yet since they only benchmarked crossfire on a single game.

But you have to agree this is weird.  And remember scaling is a totally different thing.  Whether crossfire gets them 0% or 100% or by some miracle over 100% is one thing, but in all of those cases, utilization of both cards should be 100% or close to it, especially if they are trying to show off their full potential.

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

15 minutes ago, Energycore said:

I'm here with my 560 Ti looking at all you guys.

580 3GB, surprisingly good still at 1080p but not maxing everything :P

let us all remember now and today, computers do not like abuse, they will fight back!

Old Skool KILLBOX. XEON E5640 4.0ghz / ASUS P6X58D-E ~ Noctua NH-L12 ~ eVGA GTX 670 SC 2GB 1312/7000 ~ 4TB 7200 RPM RAID0 ~ CoolerMaster Haf 922 ~ DELL P214H 23" 1080 IPS 2ms ~ HP w2007v 1680x1050. Now Playing: Splinter Cell OG XBOX / CSGO PC

Original XBOX - Xecuter 2 4981.67 Bios. Playstation 2 Slim SCPH-70002. Sega Dreamcast. N64

1 minute ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

But you have to agree this is weird.  And remember scaling is a totally different thing.  Whether crossfire gets them 0% or 100% or by some miracle over 100% is one thing, but in all of those cases, utilization of both cards should be 100% or close to it, especially if they are trying to show off their full potential.

I agree it's weird. I'm just not going to say something with confidence before the 29th

We have a NEW and GLORIOUSER-ER-ER PSU Tier List Now. (dammit @LukeSavenije stop coming up with new ones)

You can check out the old one that gave joy to so many across the land here

Computer having a hard time powering on? Troubleshoot it with this guide. (Currently looking for suggestions to update it into the context of <current year> and make it its own thread)

Computer Specs:

Spoiler

Mathresolvermajig: Intel Xeon E3 1240 (Sandy Bridge i7 equivalent)

Chillinmachine: Noctua NH-C14S
Framepainting-inator: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2 Hybrid

Attachcorethingy: Gigabyte H61M-S2V-B3

Infoholdstick: Corsair 2x4GB DDR3 1333

Computerarmor: Silverstone RL06 "Lookalike"

Rememberdoogle: 1TB HDD + 120GB TR150 + 240 SSD Plus + 1TB MX500

AdditionalPylons: Phanteks AMP! 550W (based on Seasonic GX-550)

Letterpad: Rosewill Apollo 9100 (Cherry MX Red)

Buttonrodent: Razer Viper Mini + Huion H430P drawing Tablet

Auralnterface: Sennheiser HD 6xx

Liquidrectangles: LG 27UK850-W 4K HDR

22 minutes ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

later on he said just the quote I had there alone. I think I missed the first 1 (or more)

Oh yea I see it now.  Did indeed say that at least twice after the quoted part.  Fairly shaky words to utter to the PC community regardless of the context, as it makes almost everyone's hair stand on end like some kind of conditioned response.

2 minutes ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

iv'e had this with broken CF drivers before. Been running CF for 4 years now. This is not an unusual event when CF profiles break, sadly.

1 minute ago, MoonSpot said:

Oh yea I see it now.  Did indeed say that at least twice after the quoted part.  Fairly shaky words to utter to the PC community regardless of the context, as it makes almost everyone's hair stand on end like some kind of conditioned response.

yeah I think in this case we know what they were getting at or trust them enough to just ignore bit, but out of context they may as well say "we promise to single-handedly destroy everything you love" xD 

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

1 minute ago, Prysin said:

iv'e had this with broken CF drivers before. Been running CF for 4 years now. This is not an unusual event when CF profiles break, sadly.

How bad does it affect perofrmance when it breaks?

We have a NEW and GLORIOUSER-ER-ER PSU Tier List Now. (dammit @LukeSavenije stop coming up with new ones)

Computer having a hard time powering on? Troubleshoot it with this guide. (Currently looking for suggestions to update it into the context of <current year> and make it its own thread)

Computer Specs:

Spoiler

2 minutes ago, Prysin said:

Well at least we know that launch date isn't just picked arbitrarily for no reason; if they couldn't even run their launch demo properly, they clearly still have a bit of work to do :P

4 minutes ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

Well at least we know that launch date isn't just picked arbitrarily for no reason; if they couldn't even run their launch demo properly, they clearly still have a bit of work to do :P

Could have been a prototype cooler causing thermal issues... So they throttled them to 50% to keep thermals under control. I doubt it, but hey... possibility. 

1 minute ago, Belgarathian said:

Could have been a prototype cooler causing thermal issues... So they throttled them to 50% to keep thermals under control. I doubt it, but hey... possibility. 

regardless, assuming they didn't pull some dirty trick with running the benchmarks at different settings, having CF 480s at 50% used match a 1080 is damn good... I'm excited to see what they can make out of them :)

1 minute ago, Belgarathian said:

Coolers are usually much easier to design than GPUs though.

Computer Specs:

Spoiler

4 minutes ago, Belgarathian said:

It could also have been AMD wanting to boast by showing that they matched the GTX 1080 at only 50% utilization... but that would mean that a single RX 480 GPU would be as good as a GTX 1080 (in an async-heavy game).

There are a lot of unexplained things about AMD's Polaris presentation.

You own the software that you purchase - Understanding software licenses and EULAs

"We’ll know our disinformation program is complete when everything the american public believes is false" - William Casey, CIA Director 1981-1987

1 minute ago, Delicieuxz said:

It could also have been AMD wanting to boast by showing that they matched the GTX 1080 at only 50% utilization... but that would mean that a single GPU would be as good as a GTX 1080 (in an async-heavy game).

There are a lot of unexplained things about AMD's Polaris presentation.

It's like we showed up to look at a stunt pilot in a plane and instead got a bunch of UFO photos.

Computer Specs:

Spoiler

2 minutes ago, Energycore said:

It's like we showed up to look at a stunt pilot in a plane and instead got a bunch of UFO photos.

2 UFOs putting on half a show :P

So for the same cost of a founders 1080 I can get 2 of these AND probably a cheap freesync monitor too? Fucking sold. Well not really, I want actual reviews, bench. etc. The works but it looks like a hit.

-------

Current Rig

-------

1 minute ago, Misanthrope said:

So for the same cost of a founders 1080 I can get 2 of these AND probably a cheap freesync monitor too? Fucking sold. Well not really, I want actual reviews, bench. etc. The works but it looks like a hit.

They did say they had a disruptive product.

Freesync being cheaper than Gsync is just icing in the cake.

Computer Specs:

Spoiler

25 minutes ago, Megazero said:

Speaking of the 51% utilization... why? I mean if 2 480 run at only 51% can beat a 1080 then 1 single 480 at 10% should be able to to just slightly less than that right?... wait what? 

This was Ashes right? I think it's just being CPU bound at that point: DX12 optimized should really take advantage, probably far beyond even a current top of the line chip like the 5960x

But well remains to be seen once the benchmarks come.

-------

Current Rig

-------

4 minutes ago, M.Yurizaki said:

If AMD's marketing strategy to the high-end is basically "buy two of our midrange cards!", then they better effin' address the issues of multi video card setups.

But then again, half the equation depends on the developers actually caring too.

If one GPU can drive an OK experience and two are great for DX12 I'll pick up two. Just disable crossfire for non-DX12.

Computer Specs:

Spoiler

3 minutes ago, Energycore said:

If one GPU can drive an OK experience and two are great for DX12 I'll pick up two. Just disable crossfire for non-DX12.

But again, it also depends on what the developers do as well. I don't think multi-GPU scaling is something you get for free with every game.

23 minutes ago, Energycore said:

They did say they had a disruptive product.

Freesync being cheaper than Gsync is just icing in the cake.

I honesty believe that freesync is AMDs most disruptive technology. Since it doesn't cost (like their Xfire) the manufacturers to classify their products as freesync compatible, it's going to be implemented in a larger ranger of monitors than G-Sync. There is no reason that Nvidia won't support it at a later date, but right now it's a compelling reason to buy AMD given that a Freesync monitor is $200 more affordable than a G-Sync monitor at the moment. 

LoL, or any other popular twitch games with a 144hz 1440p Freesync display and a RX 480 would be a force to be reckoned with. 

49 minutes ago, Energycore said:

do they work in crossfire?!

yeah! perfectly. I actually have very little issues apart from general issues with having older cards. And the normal CF issues (like black screens in CS:GO lol)

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

Just now, bcredeur97 said:

yeah! perfectly. I actually have very little issues apart from general issues with having older cards. And the normal CF issues (like black screens in CS:GO lol)

damn. That's pretty cool. I might pick up two RX 480s for my upgrade. And a 144Hz monitor.

Computer Specs:

Spoiler

24 minutes ago, Misanthrope said:

This was Ashes right? I think it's just being CPU bound at that point: DX12 optimized should really take advantage, probably far beyond even a current top of the line chip like the 5960x

But well remains to be seen once the benchmarks come.

6700k is better for gaming tho

7 minutes ago, bcredeur97 said:

Crossfire is cool when it's 2 cards but a dual GPU card sometimes sucks getting less performance than a single card of the same power lol. At least now you can disable crossfire on problematic games, even on dual gpu cards