AMD Computex 2016 - Polaris and Zen Revealed

10 minutes ago, RagnarokDel said:

Nvidia did it 2-3 times in a few years

Maybe they didnt want to do too much misleading unlike Nvidia.

"2x 480 running at 100%= 50% more performance then a 1080"

what misleading?  If you're talking about the 1080 = 980 SLI claim, that actually turned out to be true in most games

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

2 minutes ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

what misleading?  If you're talking about the 1080 = 980 SLI claim, that actually turned out to be true in most games

67° at 2133mhz when it thermal throttles to stock speeds at default settings

1 minute ago, RagnarokDel said:

67° at 2133mhz when it thermal throttles to stock speeds at default settings

oh, yeah well there was a lot of crap they covered up, specifically about thermals and overclocking.  That's very true

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

The thing is, we gave Nvidia shit about temps, and AMD may be pulling some misleading stuff here as well. Reviews will tell, but those two benchmarks didn't look the same and that's suspicious as fuck.

We have a NEW and GLORIOUSER-ER-ER PSU Tier List Now. (dammit @LukeSavenije stop coming up with new ones)

You can check out the old one that gave joy to so many across the land here

Computer having a hard time powering on? Troubleshoot it with this guide. (Currently looking for suggestions to update it into the context of <current year> and make it its own thread)

Computer Specs:

Spoiler

Mathresolvermajig: Intel Xeon E3 1240 (Sandy Bridge i7 equivalent)

Chillinmachine: Noctua NH-C14S
Framepainting-inator: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2 Hybrid

Attachcorethingy: Gigabyte H61M-S2V-B3

Infoholdstick: Corsair 2x4GB DDR3 1333

Computerarmor: Silverstone RL06 "Lookalike"

Rememberdoogle: 1TB HDD + 120GB TR150 + 240 SSD Plus + 1TB MX500

AdditionalPylons: Phanteks AMP! 550W (based on Seasonic GX-550)

Letterpad: Rosewill Apollo 9100 (Cherry MX Red)

Buttonrodent: Razer Viper Mini + Huion H430P drawing Tablet

Auralnterface: Sennheiser HD 6xx

Liquidrectangles: LG 27UK850-W 4K HDR

Since it's AMD who made that benchmark, i don't really believe that it's all what the card can offer. Let's wait for third party reviews about the card.

Developer by day, Gamer by night

CPU - Intel i7 4770k | MOBO MSI G45 Gaming | RAM - G.Skill RipJaws X 1600mhz 4x4gb CL7 | CASE - NZXT H440 | GPU - MSI R9 290 | PSU - Corsair RM850 | SSD - Samsung 840 EVO 128gb | HDD - Western Digital Black 2TB

About the whole benchmark with different setting thing, I'd say... judge for yourself. The presentor also said clearly that the one on the right is the "$700 card", so there's no confuse which side is which now.

The detail of the terrain is pretty different no matter how you slice it. and for most of the time the number of unit is totally different too. And if you argue that the AI is random, that completely disregard Ashes of Singularity as an acceptable benchmark tools if we cant get the same setting/result every time we run the test.

Full size link: https://linustechtips.com/main/uploads/monthly_2016_06/AMD.png.4819bf44a8319f06f5e1d6c560db7113.png

AMD.png

My rig: Intel Core i7 4790k | MSI Z97 PC Mate | GSKILL Ripjaws X 16GB 1866MHz | ADATA Premier SP550 480GB SSD | Seagate Barracuda 3TB | Seagate Barracuda 2TB  | MSI Gaming X GTX 1070 | Thermaltake Versa N21 | Corsair CX550M Semi Modular PSU | AOC G2460PF 144Hz | Logitech G502 | GSKILL Ripjaws KM780  | GAMDIAS HEPHAESTUS V2  PCPartPicker | Old Build Log | New Build Log

AMD

2 minutes ago, Megazero said:

About the whole benchmark with different setting thing, I'd say... judge for yourself. The presentor also said clearly that the one on the right is the "$700 card", so there's no confuse which side is which now.

The detail of the terrain is pretty different no matter how you slice it. and for most of the time the number of unit is totally different too. And if you argue that the AI is random, that completely disregard Ashes of Singularity as an acceptable benchmark tools if we cant get the same setting/result every time we run the test.

Full size link: https://linustechtips.com/main/uploads/monthly_2016_06/AMD.png.4819bf44a8319f06f5e1d6c560db7113.png

AMD could at least have made it less obvious.

We have a NEW and GLORIOUSER-ER-ER PSU Tier List Now. (dammit @LukeSavenije stop coming up with new ones)

Computer having a hard time powering on? Troubleshoot it with this guide. (Currently looking for suggestions to update it into the context of <current year> and make it its own thread)

Computer Specs:

Spoiler

1 hour ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

Did he just say "the goal of bringing console-class gaming to PC"?

No.  Console-like title availability on the PC, I think was the clear as mud message.

"We wanted to make the next 250 million gamers, PC gamers.  We also wanted to make bringing content to the PC, very efficient and very cost effective.  We wanted the leverage of content from game console to the PC; and we also wanted to deliver VR to the first 250m consumers."

Source (timestamp 1495s): https://youtu.be/ZwlQvjwYFEM?t=1495

Unless there was some other "he" you were referring to.

Dont think we will be having issues temp wise. It is running on a single 6pin anyways.

1 minute ago, MoonSpot said:

No.  Console-like title availability on the PC, I think was the clear as mud message.

"We wanted to make the next 250 million gamers, PC gamers.  We also wanted to make bringing content to the PC, very efficient and very cost effective.  We wanted the leverage of content from game console to the PC; and we also wanted to deliver VR to the first 250m consumers."

Source (timestamp 1495s): https://youtu.be/ZwlQvjwYFEM?t=1495

Unless there was some other "he" you were referring to.

later on he said just the quote I had there alone. I think I missed the first 1 (or more)

How well will it overclock? I don't want a flop like Fiji.

Computer Specs:

Spoiler

1 minute ago, kokobash said:

Dont think we will be having issues temp wise. It is running on a single 6pin anyways.

yup.  150 W if they don't break the rules (and before someone yells at me about what the connectors can physically withstand, etc etc this is what they are officially allowed to give out - 75 W through the mobo, 75 through a 6 pin and 150 through an 8 pin)

27 minutes ago, hex4 said:

Yeah Polaris is mid tier, but to be honest anyone at 1080P like myself, this is hardly mid tier lol.

im using a 1440p screen with 2 69xx cards.... lel

The stuggle is real.

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

1 minute ago, bcredeur97 said:

The stuggle is real.

When you're so ashamed that you censor the 2 last decimals of your GPUs

PS: I'm pretty sure the fourth number is a 0!

The stuggle is real.

I'm here with my 560 Ti looking at all you guys.

Computer Specs:

Spoiler

Just now, RagnarokDel said:

And the third one is uneven!

Computer Specs:

Spoiler

Just now, RagnarokDel said:

lol no I have a 6950 and 6970. I got tired of writing both down. But now you made me do it. Wasted effort I guess.

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

Just now, bcredeur97 said:

lol no I have a 6950 and 6970. I got tired of writing both down. But now you made me do it. Wasted effort I guess.

do they work in crossfire?!

Computer Specs:

Spoiler

I was just joking around :D I'm still rocking a 7990 and a r9 280x, mining ether 24/7. (except when gaming)

43 minutes ago, ONOTech said:

in a DX12 game that favors AMD hardware.

Except it doesnt favor AMD hardware. They're just better at exploiting it. Just like Nvidia is better at GPUboosting... It all boils down to architecture choices they made. DX12 isnt nerfing Nvidia. They made a decision to not support asynchronous compute and it's now biting them in the ass.

Speaking of the 51% utilization... why? I mean if 2 480 run at only 51% can beat a 1080 then 1 single 480 at 10% should be able to to just slightly less than that right?... wait what? 

My rig: Intel Core i7 4790k | MSI Z97 PC Mate | GSKILL Ripjaws X 16GB 1866MHz | ADATA Premier SP550 480GB SSD | Seagate Barracuda 3TB | Seagate Barracuda 2TB  | MSI Gaming X GTX 1070 | Thermaltake Versa N21 | Corsair CX550M Semi Modular PSU | AOC G2460PF 144Hz | Logitech G502 | GSKILL Ripjaws KM780  | GAMDIAS HEPHAESTUS V2  PCPartPicker | Old Build Log | New Build Log

Not impressed by Polaris. Will keep watching Zen for the moment.

1 minute ago, Megazero said:

Speaking of the 51% utilization... why? I mean if 2 480 run at only 51% can beat a 1080 then 1 single 480 at 10% should be able to to just slightly less than that right?... wait what? 

I don't think we should care about utilization since it's less important than the actual performance of the card. Which we don't really know yet since they only benchmarked crossfire on a single game.

Computer Specs:

Spoiler

1 minute ago, Energycore said:

I don't think we should care about utilization since it's less important than the actual performance of the card. Which we don't really know yet since they only benchmarked crossfire on a single game.

with one month before launch, i wouldnt be surprised if it was lacking proper CF profiles.