First GTX 1080 Review is HERE!

FirstArmada
1 minute ago, JoeyDM said:

Weird. In the U.S. it launched at $350 and never budged below $330. Hence the 560 ti being the king.

Like I said - Nvidia prices here are terrible

Archangel (Desktop) CPU: i5 4590 GPU:Asus R9 280  3GB RAM:HyperX Beast 2x4GBPSU:SeaSonic S12G 750W Mobo:GA-H97m-HD3 Case:CM Silencio 650 Storage:1 TB WD Red
Celestial (Laptop 1) CPU:i7 4720HQ GPU:GTX 860M 4GB RAM:2x4GB SK Hynix DDR3Storage: 250GB 850 EVO Model:Lenovo Y50-70
Seraph (Laptop 2) CPU:i7 6700HQ GPU:GTX 970M 3GB RAM:2x8GB DDR4Storage: 256GB Samsung 951 + 1TB Toshiba HDD Model:Asus GL502VT

Windows 10 is now MSX! - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/440190-can-we-start-calling-windows-10/page-6

1 minute ago, don_svetlio said:

Like I said - Nvidia prices here are terrible

No kidding!

Also, I say fuck windforce coolers, but I'm going to get one eventually since it's very flat and long, I plan on mounting 2 NF-F12's onto one :P 

Guess the 1080 really is the 980 replacement, meaning the high end card will come later this year or around same time next year.

If you look at the specs, so is the only reason a 1080 even keeps up with Nvidia said it would, is the higher clock speed.

So guess I wait for the GP100 chip card.

I speak my mind, sorry if thats a problem.

1 minute ago, Notional said:

We are talking about a double node shrink here. With that in mind, it really isn't THAT impressive. It means the IPC is pretty much unaltered (PCPer review), so yeah. Pascal as an architecture is not impressive, just the double node shrink that NVidia didn't make.

i see it has a shrunken maxwell architecture with increased clockspeed...many have said that already...which is good for us GTX 980ti user as this might mean the driver optimisations that will go into focus for Pascal might actually benefit us this time around...only time will tell but i certainly hope my 980ti will still have a good run ahead of it even with pascal now on the market!! :P

| CPU: Core i7-8700K @ 4.89ghz - 1.21v  Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E GAMING  CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 |
| GPU: MSI RTX 3080Ti Ventus 3X OC  RAM: 32GB T-Force Delta RGB 3066mhz |
| Displays: Acer Predator XB270HU 1440p Gsync 144hz IPS Gaming monitor | Oculus Quest 2 VR

5 minutes ago, i_build_nanosuits said:

Just look at that screenshot from Rise of the tomb raider @Prysin look how weak the FuryX is compaired to the new nvidia chip...it's getting completely obliterated:

Capture.png

Oh look at you, quoting Nvidia performance in a Gameworks Title. Also, look at that insane performance loss in DX12. WOW!!!

I thought Pascal was going to fix all the issues Maxwell had with DX12. Appears that this isnt true.

81656.png

NOW LET US POST A AMD TITLE, SHALL WE?

81658.png

So GP104 has better performance, which i expected it to have. But only 11% or so.... FUNNY HOW IT DOESNT DO SO WELL IN A AMD TITLE? ALMOST AS FUNNY AS HOW MUCH WORSE AMD DOES IN A NVIDIA TITLE?

1 minute ago, JoeyDM said:

No kidding!

Also, I say fuck windforce coolers, but I'm going to get one eventually since it's very flat and long, I plan on mounting 2 NF-F12's onto one :P 

EVGA, Galax, Zotac, MSI, Sapphire, XFX, PowerColor, Club3D

Anything besides that is not something I'd buy

Archangel (Desktop) CPU: i5 4590 GPU:Asus R9 280  3GB RAM:HyperX Beast 2x4GBPSU:SeaSonic S12G 750W Mobo:GA-H97m-HD3 Case:CM Silencio 650 Storage:1 TB WD Red
Celestial (Laptop 1) CPU:i7 4720HQ GPU:GTX 860M 4GB RAM:2x4GB SK Hynix DDR3Storage: 250GB 850 EVO Model:Lenovo Y50-70
Seraph (Laptop 2) CPU:i7 6700HQ GPU:GTX 970M 3GB RAM:2x8GB DDR4Storage: 256GB Samsung 951 + 1TB Toshiba HDD Model:Asus GL502VT

Windows 10 is now MSX! - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/440190-can-we-start-calling-windows-10/page-6

2 minutes ago, Prysin said:

Keep dreaming.
AMD doesnt need to win the Enthusiast segment, because the revenue is in the 150-300 USD market. That is where you make actual PROFIT. why compete over 5-15% of the total customer base, when you can go for the remaining 85-95%+?

I do not expect AMD to beat GP100 in every way. Atleast not the top end VEGA. But it doesnt make sense for AMD to go for that title either. Mostly because their financial position makes it outright retarded to fight Nvidia over a performance title at the very top where only a handful can afford the product (sadly, i am within that handful of people who can afford and WILL buy at that price)

I dont think AMD is targeting the 100-300$ market only. They are releasing Polaris early because it does not have HBM. It wont make since to release Vega their flagship and downgrade the memory to gddr5x. The only reason Vega is releasing late is because of HBM.

I agree with most of those. But windforce heatsinks are the easiest to mount case fans onto due to the length and flatness. I'm going to take the shroud off 100%.

41 minutes ago, DioOmicida said:

Did you see LTT numbers about the 970 compared to the 1080? The performance at 4k doubled and then some. 

Yes, it did, but that's also a lot of money for me to fork out for merely 30 to 40 min fps performance. The way everything was built up, it sounded like I could expect 60fps. It's not a  big issue though. I'm guessing the driver refinements and next generation of GPUs will get us there...

2 minutes ago, nawaf said:

I dont think AMD is targeting the 100-300$ market only. They are releasing Polaris early because it does not have HBM. It wont make since to release Vega their flagship and downgrade the memory to gddr5x. The only reason Vega is releasing late is because of HBM.

That is why they are launching polaris first. Because they have stated more then once that they are targeting the mainstream market first.

Also, AMD will be using HBM 1 for VEGA, and HBM 2 only for NAVI in 2017/2018

So much for the card being super cool. Seems NVIDIA was Cherry picking at the event, otherwise it wouldn't be possible to hit 2Ghz at 67 degrees.

At load the card always seems to be at the normal 80+ for temps under load at even stock speeds for most reviewers.

5950X | NH D15S | 64GB 3200Mhz | RTX 3090 | ASUS PG348Q+MG278Q

1 minute ago, Tenelia said:

Yes, it did, but that's also a lot of money for me to fork out for merely 30 to 40 min fps performance. The way everything was built up, it sounded like I could expect 60fps. It's not a  big issue though. I'm guessing the driver refinements and next generation of GPUs will get us there...

By driver refinements I assume you mean no more good drivers for Maxwell?

1 minute ago, Prysin said:

That is why they are launching polaris first. Because they have stated more then once that they are targeting the mainstream market first.

Wait, wasn't Vega getting HBM2? 

LinusTechTips called it first this time on my sub box.

"Simple Yet Complex" 

2 minutes ago, Valentyn said:

So much for the card being super cool. Seems NVIDIA was Cherry picking at the event, otherwise it wouldn't be possible to hit 2Ghz at 67 degrees.

At load the card always seems to be at the normal 80+ for temps under load at even stock speeds for most reviewers.

Or they had it under water

1 minute ago, nawaf said:

Wait, wasn't Vega getting HBM2? 

It should be HBM2

4 minutes ago, Valentyn said:

Or they were running custom fan curve. ;)

My Systems:

Main - Work + Gaming:

Spoiler

Woodland Raven: Ryzen 2700X // AMD Wraith RGB // Asus Prime X570-P // G.Skill 2x 8GB 3600MHz DDR4 // Radeon RX Vega 56 // Crucial P1 NVMe 1TB M.2 SSD // Deepcool DQ650-M // chassis build in progress // Windows 10 // Thrustmaster TMX + G27 pedals & shifter

F@H Rig:

Spoiler

FX-8350 // Deepcool Neptwin // MSI 970 Gaming // AData 2x 4GB 1600 DDR3 // 2x Gigabyte RX-570 4G's // Samsung 840 120GB SSD // Cooler Master V650 // Windows 10

HTPC:

Spoiler

SNES PC (HTPC): i3-4150 @3.5 // Gigabyte GA-H87N-Wifi // G.Skill 2x 4GB DDR3 1600 // Asus Dual GTX 1050Ti 4GB OC // AData SP600 128GB SSD // Pico 160XT PSU // Custom SNES Enclosure // 55" LG LED 1080p TV  // Logitech wireless touchpad-keyboard // Windows 10 // Build Log

Laptops:

Spoiler

MY DAILY: Lenovo ThinkPad T410 // 14" 1440x900 // i5-540M 2.5GHz Dual-Core HT // Intel HD iGPU + Quadro NVS 3100M 512MB dGPU // 2x4GB DDR3L 1066 // Mushkin Triactor 480GB SSD // Windows 10

WIFE'S: Dell Latitude E5450 // 14" 1366x768 // i5-5300U 2.3GHz Dual-Core HT // Intel HD5500 // 2x4GB RAM DDR3L 1600 // 500GB 7200 HDD // Linux Mint 19.3 Cinnamon

EXPERIMENTAL: Pinebook // 11.6" 1080p // Manjaro KDE (ARM)

NAS:

Spoiler

Home NAS: Pentium G4400 @3.3 // Gigabyte GA-Z170-HD3 // 2x 4GB DDR4 2400 // Intel HD Graphics // Kingston A400 120GB SSD // 3x Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200 HDDs in RAID-Z // Cooler Master Silent Pro M 1000w PSU // Antec Performance Plus 1080AMG // FreeNAS OS

this looks alright, but for me not worth the 900-1000$ range itll cost here.

i have to say i was expecting more

CPU: 6700k 4.6Ghz GPU: MSI GTX 1070 Gaming X MB: MSI Gaming M5 PSU: Evga 750 G2 Case: Phanteks EVOLV 

11 minutes ago, Prysin said:

snip that shit!

One thing for sure is that you have to be a brain dead AMD pittyful fanboy to say things like ''the GTX 1080 is disapointing'' or just even keep compairing it to anything that has come out in the past especially the R9 FuryX and stuff...it's head and shoulders above anything that has come out before it and it's truly and simply EPIC...just look at those reviews the numbers speak for themselves even in the best scenario AMD crappy titles such as that supid AOTS tech demo and hitman for example...EVEN THERE the GTX1080 is NOTICEABLY FASTER across the board when compaired to ANYTHING that has came out before it...so i think you guys should just swallow it and call it a day...yes it's expensive, yes it's a lot faster and a lot better and more efficient and more feature rich that ANYTHING that has come out before it, end of the story...now swallow it and please for the love of god just stop acting like the non-impressed numbnut: you would all beg on your knees for one if you could, so please stop acting up! -- rant over, sorry about that!

| CPU: Core i7-8700K @ 4.89ghz - 1.21v  Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E GAMING  CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 |
| Displays: Acer Predator XB270HU 1440p Gsync 144hz IPS Gaming monitor | Oculus Quest 2 VR

11 minutes ago, i_build_nanosuits said:

i see it has a shrunken maxwell architecture with increased clockspeed...many have said that already...which is good for us GTX 980ti user as this might mean the driver optimisations that will go into focus for Pascal might actually benefit us this time around...only time will tell but i certainly hope my 980ti will still have a good run ahead of it even with pascal now on the market!! :P

If NVidia's highest end card from last generation can't last for a few years, then it's a disaster. I mean a 290 still holds up for everything if you can handle 30fps. 980ti is still a good card, but yeah all 28nm cards are instantly obsolete in every way now that 14/16nm cards are here.

7 minutes ago, Prysin said:

Vega is HBM2. If if was HBM1 it would be out by now. Navi is either HBM3, HMC or something completely different.

Watching Intel have competition is like watching a headless chicken trying to get out of a mine field

CPU: Intel I7 4790K@4.6 with NZXT X31 AIO; MOTHERBOARD: ASUS Z97 Maximus VII Ranger; RAM: 8 GB Kingston HyperX 1600 DDR3; GFX: ASUS R9 290 4GB; CASE: Lian Li v700wx; STORAGE: Corsair Force 3 120GB SSD; Samsung 850 500GB SSD; Various old Seagates; PSU: Corsair RM650; MONITOR: 2x 20" Dell IPS; KEYBOARD/MOUSE: Logitech K810/ MX Master; OS: Windows 10 Pro

2 minutes ago, i_build_nanosuits said:

One thing for sure is that you have to be a brain dead AMD pittyful fanboy to say things like ''the GTX 1080 is disapointing'' or just even keep compairing it to anything that has come out in the past especially the R9 FuryX and stuff...it's head and shoulders above anything that has come out before it and it's truly and simply EPIC...just look at those reviews the numbers speak for themselves even in the best scenario AMD crappy titles such as that supid AOTS tech demo and hitman for example...EVEN THERE the GTX1080 is NOTICEABLY FASTER across the board when compaired to ANYTHING that has came out before it...so i think you guys should just swallow it and call it a day...yes it's expensive, yes it's a lot faster and a lot better and more efficient and more feature rich that ANYTHING that has come out before it, end of the story...now swallow it and please for the love of god just stop acting like the non-impressed numbnut: you would all beg on your knees for one if you could, so please stop acting up! -- rant over, sorry about that!

A 16nm flagship is faster than a 28nm flagship by 10% in some games.... yay....?....where do I send my hard earned 700$?....

8 minutes ago, Tenelia said:

Yes, it did, but that's also a lot of money for me to fork out for merely 30 to 40 min fps performance. 

But your talking about 30-40fps @ maxed out 4k and comparing 20-25 frames which is pretty much considered unplayable to 40-45 frames which is more than playable. Like you mention, with driver updates as well as including in overclocking, I'm pretty positive those 60 frames you want will be pretty possible once multi-pin aftermarket cards become available.  

[CPU: 4.7ghz I5 6600k] [MBAsus Z170 Pro G] [RAM: G.Skill 2400 16GB(2x8)]

[GPU: MSI Twin Frozr GTX 970] [PSU: XFX Pro 850W] [Cooler: Hyper 212 Evo]
[Storage: 500GB WD HDD / 128GB SanDisk SSD ] [Case: DeepCool Tessaract]

[Keyboard: AZIO MGK1] [Mouse: Logitech G303] [Monitor: 2 x Acer 23" 1080p IPS]

3 minutes ago, i_build_nanosuits said:

No reason to get vile, people have a right to come with their opinions.

heck that is what forums are for.

CPU: 6700k 4.6Ghz GPU: MSI GTX 1070 Gaming X MB: MSI Gaming M5 PSU: Evga 750 G2 Case: Phanteks EVOLV 

A 16nm flagship is faster than a 28nm flagship by 10% in some games.... yay....?....where do I send my hard earned 700$?....

i would suggest you watch some of these video reviews...you'd quickly realise it's a lot more than 10% faster.

7 minutes ago, MEC-777 said:

Or they were running custom fan curve. ;)

In other words loud enough to make your ears bleed. Which is not usable for person with the system in the same room.

5950X | NH D15S | 64GB 3200Mhz | RTX 3090 | ASUS PG348Q+MG278Q

1 minute ago, i_build_nanosuits said:

i would suggest you watch some of these video reviews...you'd quickly realise it's a lot more than 10% faster.

Yes, 20-30% in some games and 10% in others. It's not what everyone was expecting and the value is bloody terrible.