First GTX 1080 Review is HERE!

FirstArmada
1 minute ago, Prysin said:

-snip-

Maybe he meant sli 680? :P

Groomlake Authority

2 minutes ago, JoeyDM said:

This is really damn good, especially considering that we don't know how well it'll OC, and the fact that it's the 980 replacement, not the 980 ti replacement. Well it can be argued that it's currently the replacement for both since it's the new flagship. Still, I can't wait to see whether or not theres a 1080ti. You gotta be more positive, it's a large overall gain and you're here whining about people who can't take quotes in context.

are you talking "how much higher i can get this MHz number" or scaling?
Because Maxwell SCALES BADLY with MHz, compared to say AMDs GCN. But you can push many many MHz's into the core. Clock scaling is more important then clock speed.

1 minute ago, Prysin said:

I'm talking about a little from column A and a little from column B.

1 minute ago, JoeyDM said:

And only dipshits who can't take quotes in context were expecting that.

Well, if i sell you a car advertised to 1/2 0-60mph time of the previous generation. You expect it to actually be able to be twice as fast. Not, almost twice as fast.

Also, if you cannot make a argument without ad-hominem, you shouldnt try to argue at all.

Why Nvidia... WHY?! :( And I was thinking of upgrading. Dammit. DAMMIT!

just like in the case of R9 Nano and Titan X I have the suspicion that the reference cooler is not suited for this card - I see some discrepancies in top frequencies

would need some water block and compare the results

7 minutes ago, Prysin said:

Huh? Again, it was only advertised as 2x as fast in VR if a technology is implemented. People take that out of context and scream "2X PERFORMANCE WOOOOOOOOOOOO!" 

I don't fully agree. I'll say that failing to take something in context and then proceeding spreading it makes the person a viable target, as well as the position they're taking. I still probably shouldn't have called them dipshits.

1 hour ago, Thony said:

Then if u put 1080 under water the gap is gone again :D according to a post here on the forum the 1080 can get up to 2.5Ghz. Crazy.

I'll believe it when I see it from a reliable source.

13 minutes ago, mechknight3 said:

I wonder what sli 1080s can do 

Paul did some overclocking but he didn't show much about it in terms of benchmarks.

[CPU: 4.7ghz I5 6600k] [MBAsus Z170 Pro G] [RAM: G.Skill 2400 16GB(2x8)]

[GPU: MSI Twin Frozr GTX 970] [PSU: XFX Pro 850W] [Cooler: Hyper 212 Evo]
[Storage: 500GB WD HDD / 128GB SanDisk SSD ] [Case: DeepCool Tessaract]

[Keyboard: AZIO MGK1] [Mouse: Logitech G303] [Monitor: 2 x Acer 23" 1080p IPS]

I see a lot of unanswered forum posts.
Every is too busy watching YouTube videos. 

2 minutes ago, DioOmicida said:

Paul did some overclocking but he didn't show much about it in terms of benchmarks.

link pls

|| CPU Intel Core i7‑4790K 4.9 Ghz || Motherboard MSI Z97S SLI Krait Edition || RAM corsair vengeance pro 4x8gb 2400mhz || GPU msi msi twin frozr gtx 1080 8g sli x2 || Case nzxt phantom 410 || Cooling corsair h100i ||

1 minute ago, mechknight3 said:

link pls

nvm

|| CPU Intel Core i7‑4790K 4.9 Ghz || Motherboard MSI Z97S SLI Krait Edition || RAM corsair vengeance pro 4x8gb 2400mhz || GPU msi msi twin frozr gtx 1080 8g sli x2 || Case nzxt phantom 410 || Cooling corsair h100i ||

1 minute ago, JoeyDM said:

Why are you upset? 

Was hoping to move from a 970 to the 1080... But it doesn't even give that much of a performance/watt improvement.

Just now, Tenelia said:

No... But it appears to be a sizeable performance improvement.

NV says that they are using premium materials for it's new reference cooler but considering the lower power usage, die shrink and the fact that it hits exactly the same temp as a 980 or 980Ti (+/- 2%), I'm really disappointed on that front.

The ability to google properly is a skill of its own. 

52 minutes ago, Thony said:

I can't get my head around why Asian languages don't translate some words from English. For example in that review I'm sure they use their own word for "stock" speed of GPU but when it comes to "boost" they don't translate. 

There is many words they keep in English like wtf u doing ?! 

Anyway, those benchmarks are so appealing! Kicking the living shit out of Titan X and 980ti :D

Some stuff is just left alone because it's closer to a specific name or branding than to an actual meaningful concept. "Stock" just means out of the box, "boost" is more vague. It's just like not translating the word tablet.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

1 minute ago, Bouzoo said:

NV says that they are using premium materials for it's new reference cooler but considering the lower power usage, die shrink and the fact that it hits exactly the same temp as a 980 or 980Ti (+/- 2%), I'm really disappointed on that front.

the "premium components" are just blowing smoke up consumers asses. There is nothing on that PCB that you wont find on the PCB of a aftermarket version from ANY reputable brand.

2 minutes ago, Prysin said:

the "premium components" are just blowing smoke up consumers asses. There is nothing on that PCB that you wont find on the PCB of a aftermarket version from ANY reputable brand.

I know, but I'm still disappointed that it hits the same temps. 

But my god does it OC.

For all of you watching and reading all these reviews and seeing the reviewers say "no 3 or 4 way SLI supported" - this is flat out WRONG. @FirstArmada you should add this video to your OP as it seems many reviewers are getting this info wrong.

Jay talks about it here. He spoke to Nvidia directly. ;)

Also, for those of you complaining the 1080 is not as fast as you thought, take a look at Hardwarecanuck's review (if you have Vessel) where they OC to 2.1GHz on a founders card. It is as fast as Nvidia claims in many games at that OC. 

My Systems:

Main - Work + Gaming:

Spoiler

Woodland Raven: Ryzen 2700X // AMD Wraith RGB // Asus Prime X570-P // G.Skill 2x 8GB 3600MHz DDR4 // Radeon RX Vega 56 // Crucial P1 NVMe 1TB M.2 SSD // Deepcool DQ650-M // chassis build in progress // Windows 10 // Thrustmaster TMX + G27 pedals & shifter

F@H Rig:

Spoiler

FX-8350 // Deepcool Neptwin // MSI 970 Gaming // AData 2x 4GB 1600 DDR3 // 2x Gigabyte RX-570 4G's // Samsung 840 120GB SSD // Cooler Master V650 // Windows 10

HTPC:

Spoiler

SNES PC (HTPC): i3-4150 @3.5 // Gigabyte GA-H87N-Wifi // G.Skill 2x 4GB DDR3 1600 // Asus Dual GTX 1050Ti 4GB OC // AData SP600 128GB SSD // Pico 160XT PSU // Custom SNES Enclosure // 55" LG LED 1080p TV  // Logitech wireless touchpad-keyboard // Windows 10 // Build Log

Laptops:

Spoiler

MY DAILY: Lenovo ThinkPad T410 // 14" 1440x900 // i5-540M 2.5GHz Dual-Core HT // Intel HD iGPU + Quadro NVS 3100M 512MB dGPU // 2x4GB DDR3L 1066 // Mushkin Triactor 480GB SSD // Windows 10

WIFE'S: Dell Latitude E5450 // 14" 1366x768 // i5-5300U 2.3GHz Dual-Core HT // Intel HD5500 // 2x4GB RAM DDR3L 1600 // 500GB 7200 HDD // Linux Mint 19.3 Cinnamon

EXPERIMENTAL: Pinebook // 11.6" 1080p // Manjaro KDE (ARM)

NAS:

Spoiler

Home NAS: Pentium G4400 @3.3 // Gigabyte GA-Z170-HD3 // 2x 4GB DDR4 2400 // Intel HD Graphics // Kingston A400 120GB SSD // 3x Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200 HDDs in RAID-Z // Cooler Master Silent Pro M 1000w PSU // Antec Performance Plus 1080AMG // FreeNAS OS

6 minutes ago, Tenelia said:

Was hoping to move from a 970 to the 1080... But it doesn't even give that much of a performance/watt improvement.

Did you see LTT numbers about the 970 compared to the 1080? The performance at 4k doubled and then some. 

5 minutes ago, MEC-777 said:

Also, for those of you complaining the 1080 is not as fast as you thought, take a look at Hardwarecanuck's review (if you have Vessel) where they OC to 2.1GHz on a founders card. It is as fast as Nvidia claims in many games at that OC. 

Or you know, you can read their or Guru3D review which always have more info and are far better than videos. 

5 minutes ago, MEC-777 said:

For all of you watching and reading all these reviews and seeing the reviewers say "no 3 or 4 way SLI supported" - this is flat out WRONG.

Don't worry, Luke mentioned that in the review. 

Finally, a single GPU solution for 4k.

Corsair 760T White | Asus X99 Deluxe | Intel i7-5930k @ 4.4ghz | Corsair H110 | G.Skill Ripjawz 2400mhz | Gigabyte GTX 970 Windforce G1 Gaming (1584mhz/8000mhz) | Corsair AX 760w | Samsung 850 pro | WD Black 1TB | IceModz Sleeved Cables | IceModz RGB LED pack