"I bought a GTX 9xx right before Pascal came out!" threads–What should you do?

Djole123

I see a ton of threads saying "OMG I dunno that Pascal will come out and I have a GTX 9xx/7xx card! What should I do?!?!"

Here's a couple of things you can do, based on the time you bought the Maxwell or a Kepler card.

1) If you bought it a week-month ago:

Return it as soon as you can. If you return it, you will get most if not all the money back, so you can easily buy the Pascal card.

2) If you bought it a couple of monts-year ago and it's not working well:

Try to get a replacement card or money back (if your warranty allows this). Same thing as in the reason above.

3) If you bought it a couple of months-year ago and it's working:

Either keep it or sell it right now. Reason: the prices will drop because a lot of people is going to sell them aswell.

Athlon X2 for only 27.31$   Best part lists at different price points   Windows 1.01 running natively on an Eee PC

My rig:

Spoiler

Celeronator (new main rig)

CPU: Intel Celeron (duh) N2840 2.16GHz Dual Core

RAM: 4GB DDR3 1333MHz

HDD: Seagate 500GB

GPU: Intel HD Graphics 3000 Series

Spoiler

Frankenhertz (ex main rig)

CPU: Intel Atom N2600 1.6GHz Dual Core

RAM: 1GB DDR3-800

HDD: HGST 320GB

GPU: Intel Graphics Media Accelerator (GMA) 3600

Personally I'm just going to keep mine. I'm not getting a newer, better monitor nor am I picking up VR any time soon.
I can understand everyone wanting the newest and best, though.

[CPU: 4.7ghz I5 6600k] [MBAsus Z170 Pro G] [RAM: G.Skill 2400 16GB(2x8)]

[GPU: MSI Twin Frozr GTX 970] [PSU: XFX Pro 850W] [Cooler: Hyper 212 Evo]
[Storage: 500GB WD HDD / 128GB SanDisk SSD ] [Case: DeepCool Tessaract]

[Keyboard: AZIO MGK1] [Mouse: Logitech G303] [Monitor: 2 x Acer 23" 1080p IPS]

I would return mine if I still got the 30-day return voucher without any hesitation. But if you already own a 900 series card, I wouldn't flinch a muscle unless you absolutely have to upgrade ffs and have extra cash laying around. 

ROG X570-F Strix AMD R9 5900X | EK Elite 360 | EVGA 3080 FTW3 Ultra | G.Skill Trident Z Neo 64gb | Samsung 980 PRO 
ROG Strix XG349C Corsair 4000 | Bose C5 | ROG Swift PG279Q

Logitech G810 Orion Sennheiser HD 518 |  Logitech 502 Hero

I have a better idea!

4) Buy a dirt cheap second card and run dem mofos in SLI - will last you until the Ti version comes out at which point you will have already been hyped for the new release and ask the same question again...

970/980 or 980Ti SLI will be more than satisfying for most gamers - if you are not one of them, you most likely have already sold your SLI 980Tis and are gearing up to get a pair of <insert card name here) anyway.

Us confirming your choice will not make it dumber or less dumb. I bought 980 two months ago and I am wwaiting for all the little girls to start panicking and selling theirs for 200 GBP (~$290)...

What about if you got one with the free game and you redeemed it already?

Would it be a dick move to return it (assuming they don't charge you) and keep the game?

6 minutes ago, Malaki Titi said:

Would it be a dick move to return it (assuming they don't charge you) and keep the game?

Returning for refund goes out the window once you redeem that game code.

1 minute ago, SteveGrabowski0 said:

Returning for refund goes out the window once you redeem that game code.

How would the store know?  Fry's not newegg or amazon.

48 minutes ago, Malaki Titi said:

How would the store know?  Fry's not newegg or amazon.

The store gives you the code. 

[CPU: 4.7ghz I5 6600k] [MBAsus Z170 Pro G] [RAM: G.Skill 2400 16GB(2x8)]

[GPU: MSI Twin Frozr GTX 970] [PSU: XFX Pro 850W] [Cooler: Hyper 212 Evo]
[Storage: 500GB WD HDD / 128GB SanDisk SSD ] [Case: DeepCool Tessaract]

[Keyboard: AZIO MGK1] [Mouse: Logitech G303] [Monitor: 2 x Acer 23" 1080p IPS]

4) Load your favorite game and notice it plays just as well as it did before the nVidia press conference and chill the **** out.

If anyone asks you never saw me.

11 minutes ago, DioOmicida said:

The store gives you the code. 

I know they do.  What I'm wondering is if the store gets a confirmation that the game was redeemed and somehow links it with the receipt and flags it.

Those of you with an EVGA card can take advantage of the step-up program. Which lets you pay the difference that you paid for your card, and the new card, as long as it was purchased within 90 days. Be warned: with the new cards launching, supply is bound to be limited and it might take you extra time to actually get your hands on one. Make sure you have a backup GPU too, during the shipping phases. Your new card will not be shipped out until they receive your current card. So it could take over a week to get a card this way.

Still, neat feature to use if its available to you.

My (incomplete) memory overclocking guide: 

Does memory speed impact gaming performance? Click here to find out!

On 1/2/2017 at 9:32 PM, MageTank said:

Sometimes, we all need a little inspiration.

3 hours ago, Malaki Titi said:

Assuming for the moment that the laws of the jurisdiction governing your purchase doesn't consider what you are proposing as theft, then morally, even though not legally, it could be considered as such. 

So, yes, it would be a dick move.

Sgt. Murphy says, "Never forget that your weapons and equipment were made by the lowest bidder."

just keep your damn card, it's not like your GPU will perform less good because there are new GPU's... (inb4 people bring up the poor Kepler performance in Witcher 3)

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

Bought 960 4gb, 2 weeks before 1080/1070 came out. I don't see my self in a need of 1080/1070. I'll use it till the last breath of 960 :D

Ryzen 5 3600 | MSI B450 Tomahawk Max | Corsair Vengeance lpx 32gb 3600mhz | EVGA GeForce RTX 3080 FTW3 ULTRA GAMING | XPG Core Reactor 850w

19 hours ago, MageTank said:

Those of you with an EVGA card can take advantage of the step-up program. Which lets you pay the difference that you paid for your card, and the new card, as long as it was purchased within 90 days. Be warned: with the new cards launching, supply is bound to be limited and it might take you extra time to actually get your hands on one. Make sure you have a backup GPU too, during the shipping phases. Your new card will not be shipped out until they receive your current card. So it could take over a week to get a card this way.

Still, neat feature to use if its available to you.

You had to have registered it within the first 14 days though.

Just now, SteveGrabowski0 said:

You had to have registered it within the first 14 days though.

I register my hardware before I even put my systems together, lol. I assumed others did the same thing.

My (incomplete) memory overclocking guide: 

Does memory speed impact gaming performance? Click here to find out!

On 1/2/2017 at 9:32 PM, MageTank said:

Sometimes, we all need a little inspiration.

If you have a 980ti I wouldn't either bother getting a 1080 or 1070 unless you just want to dick swing to your mates to say you have a 1080. Personally I would wait till the 1080ti or the 1080 Titan version comes out cause lets face now that these cards are hitting the shelves in the next few weeks the 1080ti will already be on the drawing board and testing phase and will be out in say 12-18 months.

19 hours ago, Abyssal Radon said:

I'm personally skipping Pascal and am going to wait for Volta. My current GPU's are fast enough for me and I think my next card will be a Titan (Volta) card. I'm guessing Volta will be released sometime during Q2 of 2017. 

I'm thinking of doing this too, especially since my 970s have Samsung ram that over clocks loads.

Got them bios modded to 1506 / 8260.

Linus is my fetish.

Also, if you like the performance of your current card, keep it, this is a thread if you need to have a 10xx card.

Athlon X2 for only 27.31$   Best part lists at different price points   Windows 1.01 running natively on an Eee PC

My rig:

Spoiler

Celeronator (new main rig)

CPU: Intel Celeron (duh) N2840 2.16GHz Dual Core

RAM: 4GB DDR3 1333MHz

HDD: Seagate 500GB

GPU: Intel HD Graphics 3000 Series

Spoiler

Frankenhertz (ex main rig)

CPU: Intel Atom N2600 1.6GHz Dual Core

RAM: 1GB DDR3-800

HDD: HGST 320GB

GPU: Intel Graphics Media Accelerator (GMA) 3600

1 hour ago, Djole123 said:

Also, if you like the performance of your current card, keep it, this is a thread if you need to have a 10xx card.

No really needs the new gpus, unless you are trying to run triple 4k AAA games on ultra, or if you are doing extremely intense computations with them, and they perform better then a quadro, or just because someone is obsessed with having the latest in hardware.

The 970 at about $200-$250 might be a lot better choice for most people then a new 1070 since no one knows how it performs yet.

•E5-2670 @2.7GHz • Intel DX79SI • EVGA 970 SSC• GSkill Sniper 8Gb ddr3 • Corsair Spec 02 • Corsair RM750 • HyperX 120Gb SSD • Hitachi 2Tb HDD •