AMD May Not Be Trying To Compete With Nvidia

Source : Ars Technica and Adored TV (Same person to decipher AMD's master plan) 

TL:DR basically saying that Nvidia and AMD will no longer be competing in the same market sectors , Nvidia will continue to rule the higher end market as they have been doing since about Kepler due to AMD pushing them into it for more information on that watch AMD master plan series also by Adored TV

I personally think this is better, AMD who in my opinion make better low to mid range cards stick to only making low to mid range cards and Nvidia who clearly make the better fastest single GPU solutions should stick to only that this way their is less new GPUs to make every year therefore more focus given on the 2-4ish GPUs they do make which is better for the consumer at the end of the day

Quote from Ars Technica Article 

"The key differentiator is market positioning: Pascal is likely to be a high-end part with fast GDDR5X memory, while AMD has confirmed—despite earlier comments to the contrary—that Polaris will be aimed at "the mainstream desktop and high-end gaming notebook segment."

I don't see either OEM simply ceding huge market share to the other. I also think one could make a pretty convincing anti-trust case out of those two divvying up the market like that.

Aerocool DS are the best fans you've never tried.

2 minutes ago, aisle9 said:

convincing anti-trust case out of those two divvying up the market like that.

Seeing as that's what the american ISP's have been doing all this time I think AMD and Nvidia would be fine.

My posts are in a constant state of editing :)

CPU: i7-4790k @ 4.7Ghz MOBO: ASUS ROG Maximums VII Hero  GPU: Asus GTX 780ti Directcu ii SLI RAM: 16GB Corsair Vengeance PSU: Corsair AX860 Case: Corsair 450D Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 250 GB, WD Black 1TB Cooling: Corsair H100i with Noctua fans Monitor: ASUS ROG Swift

laptop

Some ASUS model. Has a GT 550M, i7-2630QM, 4GB or ram and a WD Black SSD/HDD drive. MacBook Pro 13" base model
Apple stuff from over the years
iPhone 5 64GB, iPad air 128GB, iPod Touch 32GB 3rd Gen and an iPod nano 4GB 3rd Gen. Both the touch and nano are working perfectly as far as I can tell :)

4 minutes ago, aisle9 said:

I don't see either OEM simply ceding huge market share to the other. I also think one could make a pretty convincing anti-trust case out of those two divvying up the market like that.

I didnt see Nvidia just giving up the low to mid and market either but if you watch his AMD master plan series if they do end up doing what he says in that Nvidia wont really have a choice they will be essentially pushed out of it or will be forced to dump a crap ton of money into optimization 

Im not too familiar with anti trust laws in the states but i assume this is possible 

Just now, Bensemus said:

Seeing as that's what the american ISP's have been doing all this time I think AMD and Nvidia would be fine.

Nah, they just bribe I mean fund lawmakers to accept laws written by them that make it impossible for competition to arise in their area, it's completely different I assure you :D

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

3 minutes ago, Bensemus said:

Lets not forget about the Canadian ISP monopoly aka "The Big 3" (Rogers, Bell and Telus) 

1 minute ago, FirstArmada said:

Lets not forget about the Canadian ISP monopoly aka "The Big 3" (Rogers, Bell and Telus) 

That's true although they seem to be smarter as they are never in the news and are rarely talked about on tech forums.

My posts are in a constant state of editing :)

CPU: i7-4790k @ 4.7Ghz MOBO: ASUS ROG Maximums VII Hero  GPU: Asus GTX 780ti Directcu ii SLI RAM: 16GB Corsair Vengeance PSU: Corsair AX860 Case: Corsair 450D Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 250 GB, WD Black 1TB Cooling: Corsair H100i with Noctua fans Monitor: ASUS ROG Swift

laptop

Some ASUS model. Has a GT 550M, i7-2630QM, 4GB or ram and a WD Black SSD/HDD drive. MacBook Pro 13" base model
Apple stuff from over the years
iPhone 5 64GB, iPad air 128GB, iPod Touch 32GB 3rd Gen and an iPod nano 4GB 3rd Gen. Both the touch and nano are working perfectly as far as I can tell :)

4 minutes ago, Bensemus said:

That's true although they seem to be smarter as they are never in the news and are rarely talked about on tech forums.

Seems so , the last i heard of them on the news was 2 ish years ago when Bell rolled out its fiber optic lines and wouldn't share them with competitors so they were literally the only people with fiber optic lines that could provide speeds of higher then 100 and then about a year ago rogers finally got fiber lines not sure wether it was through Bell or they laid down their own infrastructure either way Bell was allowed to rule a market for almost a year without any competition and nothing was done about it Bell could have easily rented their lines but didnt

All of what he says is speculation, derived from leaked information, and guess work. Take it with a pinch of salt.

Shot through the heart and you're to blame, 30fps and i'll pirate your game - Bon Jovi

Take me down to the console city where the games are blurry and the frames are thirty - Guns N' Roses

Arguing with religious people is like explaining to your mother that online games can't be paused...

5 minutes ago, Sakkura said:

Load of nonsense from a random youtuber. Not even worthy of the news section IMO.

I too didnt believe it at first watch the AMD master plan series made complete sense to me after watching that its the only logical next step for AMD if they want to get back market share with out forking out tons of cash on marketing 

6 minutes ago, Sakkura said:

Load of nonsense from a random youtuber. Not even worthy of the news section IMO.

Didn't see the video, but Ars Technica and WCCFtech each had an article today on Polaris being "to expand VR market" etc. while saying Pascal would be high end only (based on a quote from a guy named Roy over at AMD). 

Tip to those that are new on LTT forum- quote a post so that the person you are quoting gets a notification, otherwise they'll have no idea that you did. You can also use a tag such as @Ryoutarou97 (replace my username with anyone's. You should get a dropdown after you type the "@")to send a notification, but quoting is preferable.

Feel free to PM me about absolutely anything be it tech, math, literature, etc. I'll try my best to help. I'm currently looking for a cheap used build for around $25 to set up as a home server if anyone is selling.

If you are a native speaker please use proper English if you can. Punctuation, capitalization, and spelling are as important to making your message readable as proper night theme formatting is.

My build is fully operational, but won't be posted until after I get a GPU in it and the case arted up.

2 minutes ago, Fulgrim said:

All of what he says is speculation, derived from leaked information, and guess work. Take it with a pinch of salt.

Yes indeed it is , but it seems very likely this could indeed happen or at least it will if you watch the AMD master plan video sorry if it seems like im forcing everyone to watch this but it will make much much more sense if you understand some of the things he references 

Just now, FirstArmada said:

Yes indeed it is , but it seems very likely this could indeed happen or at least it will if you watch the AMD master plan video sorry if it seems like im forcing everyone to watch this but it will make much much more sense if you understand some of the things he references 

I've seen the "master plan" vids he did, and generally it's understandable and agreeable as to what he says. But this video, it's as if that speculation is 100% set in stone, and he's made a conclusion which can easily turn out to be false.

Shot through the heart and you're to blame, 30fps and i'll pirate your game - Bon Jovi

Take me down to the console city where the games are blurry and the frames are thirty - Guns N' Roses

Arguing with religious people is like explaining to your mother that online games can't be paused...

Just now, Fulgrim said:

I've seen the "master plan" vids he did, and generally it's understandable and agreeable as to what he says. But this video, it's as if that speculation is 100% set in stone, and he's made a conclusion which can easily turn out to be false.

Ahh i see yes its possible that it turns out to be false but it would make sense if it did happen 

a random person's speculation is not "news" no matter how logical it is

its all just speculation and imagination

people cant predict the future, and he has no affiliation with AMD, so we can assume he knows absolutely 0 facts

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

2 minutes ago, Enderman said:

a random person's speculation is not "news" no matter how logical it is

its all just speculation and imagination

people cant predict the future, and he has no affiliation with AMD, so we can assume he knows absolutely 0 facts

Found an article from Ars Techinca also saying this it is linked in sources now 

specifically the paragraph that starts with "That competition will come..."

10 minutes ago, Ryoutarou97 said:

Didn't see the video, but Ars Technica and WCCFtech each had an article today on Polaris being "to expand VR market" etc. while saying Pascal would be high end only (based on a quote from a guy named Roy over at AMD). 

Thanks found the article i have added it to sources 

3 minutes ago, Dan Castellaneta said:

We're clearly forgetting the 7970 and 290X here, huh.

I said since about Kepler ....

the 780 Ti beats the 290x?

2 minutes ago, Dan Castellaneta said:

It seems to vary depending on game, to be fair.

Guess so, wasn't super into the hardware side of things when Kepler was out only got into it around the 300 series launch 

I tried listening to the guys video but I cannot understand half the shit he says. 

"nVidia... faster faster.... mumble mumble... AMD low/mid end... mumble mumble..."

CPU: Intel Core i7 7820X Cooling: Corsair Hydro Series H110i GTX Mobo: MSI X299 Gaming Pro Carbon AC RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 (3000MHz/16GB 2x8) SSD: 2x Samsung 850 Evo (250/250GB) + Samsung 850 Pro (512GB) GPU: NVidia GeForce GTX 1080 Ti FE (W/ EVGA Hybrid Kit) Case: Corsair Graphite Series 760T (Black) PSU: SeaSonic Platinum Series (860W) Monitor: Acer Predator XB241YU (165Hz / G-Sync) Fan Controller: NZXT Sentry Mix 2 Case Fans: Intake - 2x Noctua NF-A14 iPPC-3000 PWM / Radiator - 2x Noctua NF-A14 iPPC-3000 PWM / Rear Exhaust - 1x Noctua NF-F12 iPPC-3000 PWM

2 minutes ago, VagabondWraith said:

I tried listening to the guys video but I cannot understand half the shit he says. 

"nVidia... faster faster.... mumble mumble... AMD low/mid end... mumble mumble..."

You could read the Ars Technica article, if you want a TL:DR read mine or skip to the paragraph in the Ars Technica article that starts with "That competition will come..." on the first page 

41 minutes ago, aisle9 said:

Very true... Besides, it's a whole lot easier for a company who invests heavily in R&D and plays in the top-performance market share to impinge on mid-low performance tiers than it is for mid-low to impinge on top-performance tiers. 

Intel vs AMD, Budget Airlines vs Premium Airlines.