Microsoft sues US Government over requests to invade users privacy

Read More Here

So Microsoft has filed a law suit against the US Government for constant "gag-orders" for user information, etc.

Microsoft filed a lawsuit in a federal court against the U.S. government over its expanding use of gag orders for data requests. The company said that almost half of the data requests are secret, with more than two thirds of the gag orders having no time limit for expiration, meaning the users would never be notified about them.

The company believes that the U.S. government is using the increasing popularity of cloud services as a way to skirt around the Fourth Amendment, which gives people the right to know when the government searches or seizes their property. Microsoft also believes that these gag orders violate the First Amendment, which guarantees the company the right to talk to its customers.

It's clear Microsoft is on our side and is pushing for complete transparency so people will know when the government wants to see their information / data. This request for data refers to Microsoft's cloud which is easier for the government to access as it's not on a users local network however Microsoft still believes it's the user / owner of the contents private property.

Microsoft hopes that regardless of how the lawsuit continues, the Department of Justice should immediately issue a new policy that restricts these out-of-control gag orders from law enforcement.

If that doesn’t happen, then the company wishes Congress would amend the Electronic Communications Protection Act (likely through the new EPA reform) to require government notice for warrants. Microsoft also said that the current ECPA allows the government to issue more secret orders than it would be able to serve under other laws.

Microsoft will begin to lobby for laws to protect users rights for digital privacy be it on their own computer, or in the cloud. They're aiming for-

• Transparency- people have the right to know when the government wants to see their info / data.
  • Digital Neutrality- customers should benefit from the same type of privacy online as they do offline.
  • Necessity- secrecy orders should only be for investigations, if there is a good reason for secrecy.

Microsoft also noted that although this is the fourth lawsuit it has filed against the U.S. government to protect its customers’ privacy, it hasn’t taken this action lightly, and it has only done so when it considered the government's requests to be out-of-bounds.

In the first lawsuit, Microsoft settled with the U.S. government, allowing the company to disclose how many data requests it receives. The second one was because of a government-issued National Security Letter, which the government ended up withdrawing. The U.S. government has a tendency to withdraw its NSLs when challenged, likely there's a potential issue of unconstitutionality. It would prefer to lose a case by withdrawing an NSL, but continue to issue NSLs to other companies or individuals unwilling to challenge them in Court.

The third lawsuit is the one where Microsoft challenged a U.S. search warrant for an email of a customer from Ireland. This lawsuit is still pending in the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Second Circuit.

Microsoft filed this fourth one in the U.S. District Court for the Western District of Washington.

It seems Microsoft is fighting the good fight, and although people dislike them collecting our personal information for targeted advertising, etc. at least we know they don't want to so easily give up our information to a government body.

Sergeant, United States Marine Corps

Network Administrator, Comptia A+, Security+, Cisco Certified Networking Associate

From a G3258 to dual Xeon E5-2670's

They pissed off several tech giants, that is a war no government could fight. Hell, all MS has to do is revoke windows keys, support, and services to the government and the daily operations would crawl to a hold.

_/ V\
                  / /  /
                <<    |
                ,/    ]
              ,/      ]
            ,/        |
           /    \  \ /
          /      | | |
    ______|   __/_/| |
   /_______\______}\__}  

Spoiler

[i7-7700k@5Ghz | MSI Z270 M7 | 16GB 3000 GEIL EVOX | STRIX ROG 1060 OC 6G | EVGA G2 650W | ROSEWILL B2 SPIRIT | SANDISK 256GB M2 | 4x 1TB Seagate Barracudas RAID 10 ]

[i3-4360 | mini-itx potato | 4gb DDR3-1600 | 8tb wd red | 250gb seagate| Debian 9 ]

[Dell Inspiron 15 5567] 

@LinusTech @Slick @nicklmg I'd love to see you guys address this on the WAN Show tomorrow.

Network Administrator, Comptia A+, Security+, Cisco Certified Networking Associate

Just now, RedWulf said:

They pissed off several tech giants, that is a war no government could fight. Hell, all MS has to do is revoke windows keys, support, and services to the government and the daily operations would crawl to a hold.

that would go against some laws i suppose lol

but so is invading privacy `-`

-sigh- feeling like I'm being too negative lately

Just now, RedWulf said:

Or revoke the US NAVY's XP keys... because they still use XP.

Just now, RedWulf said:

The DoD updated all their PC's to windows 10, hell microsoft is gonna pull off some leet mlg xxxhax stuff and lock the pc's :D

2 minutes ago, Jacktastic-Mofo said:

@LinusTech @Slick @nicklmg I'd love to see you guys address this on the WAN Show tomorrow.

I would as well. @LinusTech @Slick @nicklmg 

I really am interested to see how this is going to go down. One of the biggest companies on earth up against one of the largest governments on earth.

1 minute ago, Aytex said:

The DoD updated all their PC's to windows 10, hell microsoft is gonna pull off some leet mlg xxxhax stuff and lock the pc's :D

Auto change all the passwords to "dickbutt" or "georgebushdid911".

Just now, Moonzy said:

I don't think it matters, I mean all they can do is fine and try to imprison MS suits but thats just driving nails in a coffin. 

"sir, I cant use Access, I'll have to draft the budget later"

"Sir our web server just crashed, it said windows-server update failed"

"My surface pro just went black"

"Mr president, your video conference has been postponed, the ambassador said he was unable to make the skype call" 

Just go script kiddie on every possible service xD 

_/ V\
                  / /  /
                <<    |
                ,/    ]
              ,/      ]
            ,/        |
           /    \  \ /
          /      | | |
    ______|   __/_/| |
   /_______\______}\__}  

Spoiler

[i7-7700k@5Ghz | MSI Z270 M7 | 16GB 3000 GEIL EVOX | STRIX ROG 1060 OC 6G | EVGA G2 650W | ROSEWILL B2 SPIRIT | SANDISK 256GB M2 | 4x 1TB Seagate Barracudas RAID 10 ]

[i3-4360 | mini-itx potato | 4gb DDR3-1600 | 8tb wd red | 250gb seagate| Debian 9 ]

[Dell Inspiron 15 5567] 

10 minutes ago, Moonzy said:

Huh. But it's the government, they make the laws. They can change this anytime without public approval. 

1 minute ago, SparkyRain said:

Huh. But it's the government, they make the laws. They can change this anytime without public approval. 

i know right lol

government ftw `-`

-sigh- feeling like I'm being too negative lately

I am 99% sure they are doing this for publicity and not because they care about their customers, but it's still a good thing. Good job Microsoft. I really hope that this changes things for the better.

11 minutes ago, Aytex said:

No they didn't. It will be a long time before Windows 10 is fully adopted.

12 minutes ago, Jacktastic-Mofo said:

Or revoke the US NAVY's XP keys... because they still use XP.

Not computers that are connected to the internet.

Also, the DoD doesn't have anything to do with this stuff. This would be Department of Justice territory.

3 minutes ago, SparkyRain said:

Not how that works. Policies can change, but policies have to be in accordance with the law.

1 minute ago, Moonzy said:

i know right lol

government ftw `-`

Gratz your lifesupply has been extended for this week, they won't shut you down yet. More coverment *cough* but that's a diffrent story. But I really don't think they give 2 shits if some sheeps happily fart along or not. 

When they don't get data from microsoft, whatever let's ask google. Money talks and they have plenty. 

Microsoft arguing for users rights is so hypocritical that it's not even funny.

I mean yeah, I hope they win. But still, they're just as guilty of invading piracy and taking away control as the government is.

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

So wait.. Microsoft is taking to court the government, but Microsoft is really a side company made by the NSA to spy on people. A master plan the NSA had since 80's, to mold us, shape us, to allow the spying....

diabolical....

All designed and planed. We are nothing more than puppets! It is nothing more then a theater in front of our eyes for the master plan!

5 minutes ago, GoodBytes said:

So wait.. Microsoft is taking to court the government, but Microsoft is really a side company made by the NSA to spy on people. A master plan the NSA had since 80's, to mold us, shape us, to allow the spying....

diabolical....

All designed and planed. We are nothing more than puppets! It is nothing more then a theater in front of our eyes!

-snip

Or it's a shameless PR stunt to make themselves look better.

15 minutes ago, Trik'Stari said:

Either way it's good for us.

20 minutes ago, Trik'Stari said:

Regardless of being PR stunt for their own benefit, if MS wins, the entire industry benefits greatly. They are effectively seeking to change a law that would stop the government from asking data without publicly saying so, so if the government wants, as an example, customer data from steam they have to say it out loud they are doing so, to who and why on the moment.

this is one of the greatest thing that has happened to me recently, and it happened on this forum, those involved have my eternal gratitude http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/198850-update-alex-got-his-moto-g2-lets-get-a-moto-g-for-alexgoeshigh-unofficial/ :')

i use to have the second best link in the world here, but it died ;_; its a 404 now but it will always be here

22 minutes ago, Jacktastic-Mofo said:

Either way it's good for us.

13 minutes ago, AlexGoesHigh said:

Regardless of being PR stunt for their own benefit, if MS wins, the entire industry benefits greatly. They are effectively seeking to change a law that would stop the government from asking data without publicly saying so, so if the government wants, as an example, customer data from steam they have to say it out loud they are doing so, to who and why on the moment.

If it backfires and they lose, it sets a precedent for the future.

I hope they win. But I doubt how committed they are to winning.

9 minutes ago, Trik'Stari said:

If it backfires and they lose, it sets a precedent for the future.

I hope they win. But I doubt how committed they are to winning.

They must be very committed to win, otherwise wants the the point into suing in the first place, id say if they lose is due to the judge being a sellout, a gov fanboy, or ignorant to tech, or anything else that involves not having half a brain.

this is one of the greatest thing that has happened to me recently, and it happened on this forum, those involved have my eternal gratitude http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/198850-update-alex-got-his-moto-g2-lets-get-a-moto-g-for-alexgoeshigh-unofficial/ :')

i use to have the second best link in the world here, but it died ;_; its a 404 now but it will always be here

2 hours ago, Aytex said:

Shits about to go down :D

Someone call Apple, there´s a bigger threat to fight.