Microsoft preparing a "Dark Theme" option for Windows 10 Anniversary update

AlTech
6 minutes ago, TheCMan said:

Well, considering how many people like and use the dark theme for this web site, yea I think there is a demand.

Also, a dark theme is easier on the eyes.

I guess I see what you mean.

I'm one of those weirdos that regularly changes his taskbar colors to match the wallpaper on the week  :3

"Solus" (2015) - CPU: i7-4790k | GPU: MSI GTX 970 | Mobo: Asus Z97-A | Ram: 16GB (2x8) G.Skill Ripjaws X Series | PSU: EVGA G2 750W 80+ Gold | CaseFractal Design Define R4

Next Build: "Tyrion" (TBA)

5 hours ago, GoodBytes said:

Wasn't as nice looking, and Vista honly had performance issue with Intel integrated graphics, and VIA and S3 graphics chip at the the time, which could not handle alpha blending (very demanding).

Doesn't matter if it wasn't as nice looking, it was years prior on much lower end tech.

6 hours ago, GoodBytes said:

AluminiumTech, you should get some book on programming. Programming is a lengthy process to do little things. It's not: "EnableDarkTheme()", and poof, magic whatever you are working on is now in dark theme, complete with AI system to design the dark theme for you. Things takes time. And Windows 10 was released 1 year ago, not 3 years ago. Universal Apps, part of Windows 10, was not there in the past. Back in Windows 8 days, a developers had to do a special app for Windows 8 desktop/laptop, and one for Windows Phone 8.

You are right and wrong, it does take a lot of time to program.

But windows already has everything it needs to code interfaces, MFC, Forms, and ideally WPF with xaml which they use in modern apps/interface.

implementing such a UI would be nothing for a giant like microsoft, windows itself doesnt have any complex UI for explorer/device manager and all other windows.

The functionality behind those is what is complex and they dont have to change that they can bind the old functionality to a new UI with the exact same layouts and more.

A small team of UI developers can make that in no time, but MS is being stupid.

They still do not want to invest proper money to change all the UI to modern, they have Cortana,Settings,ActionCenter(incomplete/useless), network tab and volume tab with modern UI, but everything else in windows is handled the old way in explorer,old control panel etc.

Now the real problem is if they make it dark theme which part of the UI will be black? #1 the old explorer which i doubt it will, it will look poor and uncostumizable, or  #2 the new WPF xaml UI in which case they would have to make a new Explorer/control panel and all other windows like mouse options, device manager, regedit, group policy edit soon, which would be ideal and they should have done it a long time ago.

If they go #1 they can go fk themselves.

There are tons of explorer style apps in windows Store and they all suck balls, MS needs to step up which is very unlikely.This is probably the last chance they move windows interface in the right direction.

They should have done this since windows 8 they had the right base interface it just lacked functionality/options.

I just wish they would give us some decent support for changing how Windows 10 looks. This is nice, but seriously... How hard can it be to give us back the old Windows 7 settings like changing how transparent something is, a proper color selection screen and color intensity?

Maybe that's why it took them so long to make a dark theme. They were hard at work removing customization from Windows 7.

I kinda want the classic theme to come back. I also wish I could have colored title bars with a black task bar like I did before the november update.

Good to see dark theme finally! It could've come sooner, they just didn't think it was that important so probably didn't focus on it. Still great, always good to see more UI improvements and customization added. Everything should have dark theme. Lame how Android doesn't have it and is slacking with it -_-

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

3 hours ago, LAwLz said:

I just wish they would give us some decent support for changing how Windows 10 looks. This is nice, but seriously... How hard can it be to give us back the old Windows 7 settings like changing how transparent something is, a proper color selection screen and color intensity?

Maybe that's why it took them so long to make a dark theme. They were hard at work removing customization from Windows 7.

9 hours ago, Arty said:

I hope they don't change it......

it's literally perfect, 

they already fucked up the  accent color feature, with the threshold 2 update.

yo used to have the start menu and taskbar be black and the top bar on windows be a color instead of white, from registry tweaks and it looked really good, then with threshold 2 they broke  the tweak and fucked it up with their attempt of customization. 

If they at least gave the option to have the bottom stay black ..........that would have been nice...

http://startisback.com/ gives you the option to independently colour the title and task bar, while keeping all the rest of the look stock. It also gives an option to manually adjust the transparency for parts of the UI.

Microsoft should have all these things included in W10 by default, but at least they can be changed this way. Also, Winaero tweaker probably gives the same options, and is free.

You own the software that you purchase - Understanding software licenses and EULAs

"We’ll know our disinformation program is complete when everything the american public believes is false" - William Casey, CIA Director 1981-1987

6 hours ago, GoodBytes said:

Barnacules was a Software Developer in Test.

He builds programs to test functions developed by the Software Developers team to test them, find bugs, and report them.

That is all he did.

The role no longer exists (hence the huge layoff), and instead Microsoft opt to do like any other fast moving company, and just have the developer test the code themselves, and think more about their code before coding it, for quality work.

I thought he was on the Windows Team when he worked there.

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

25 minutes ago, AluminiumTech said:

I thought he was on the Windows Team when he worked there.

As a Software Developer In Test, yes.

8 hours ago, GoodBytes said:

-snip

The role no longer exists (hence the huge layoff), and instead Microsoft opt to do like any other fast moving company, and just have the developer test the code themselves, and think more about their code before coding it, for quality work.

You mean "fix it after releasing it to the customer".

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

7 minutes ago, Trik'Stari said:

You mean "fix it after releasing it to the customer".

Every software has bugs. Anything new in the software world always has bugs attached.

2 hours ago, Delicieuxz said:

http://startisback.com/ gives you the option to independently colour the title and task bar,

don't see the option. 

15 hours ago, Sauron said:

Yeah, itś just silly that we wouldn be able to customize system colours from the start...

if only more people knew about this. black theme is irrelevant if you follow these steps. 

http://www.howtogeek.com/222831/how-to-get-colored-window-title-bars-on-windows-10-instead-of-white/

Space Journal #1: So Apparently i  was dropped on the moon like i'm a mars rover, in a matter of hours i have found the transformers on the dark side of the moon. Turns out its not that dark since dem robots are filled with lights, i waved hi to the Russians on the space station, turns out all those stories about space finding humans instead of the other way around is true(soviet Russia joke). They threw me some Heineken beer and I've been sitting staring at the people of this forum and earth since. 

YES!!! FINALLY!!! I might just now have a reason to switch fully over to MSX instead of dualbooting with windows 7

Use this guide to fix text problems in your postGo here and here for all your power supply needs

New Build Currently Under Construction! See here!!!! -----> 

Spoiler

Deathwatch:[CPU I7 4790K @ 4.5GHz][RAM TEAM VULCAN 16 GB 1600][MB ASRock Z97 Anniversary][GPU XFX Radeon RX 480 8GB][STORAGE 250GB SAMSUNG EVO SSD Samsung 2TB HDD 2TB WD External Drive][COOLER Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo][PSU Cooler Master 650M][Case Thermaltake Core V31]

Spoiler

Cupid:[CPU Core 2 Duo E8600 3.33GHz][RAM 3 GB DDR2][750GB Samsung 2.5" HDD/HDD Seagate 80GB SATA/Samsung 80GB IDE/WD 325GB IDE][MB Acer M1641][CASE Antec][[PSU Altec 425 Watt][GPU Radeon HD 4890 1GB][TP-Link 54MBps Wireless Card]

Spoiler

Carlile: [CPU 2x Pentium 3 1.4GHz][MB ASUS TR-DLS][RAM 2x 512MB DDR ECC Registered][GPU Nvidia TNT2 Pro][PSU Enermax][HDD 1 IDE 160GB, 4 SCSI 70GB][RAID CARD Dell Perc 3]

Spoiler

Zeonnight [CPU AMD Athlon x2 4400][GPU Sapphire Radeon 4650 1GB][RAM 2GB DDR2]

Spoiler

Server [CPU 2x Xeon L5630][PSU Dell Poweredge 850w][HDD 1 SATA 160GB, 3 SAS 146GB][RAID CARD Dell Perc 6i]

Spoiler

Kero [CPU Pentium 1 133Mhz] [GPU Cirrus Logic LCD 1MB Graphics Controller] [Ram 48MB ][HDD 1.4GB Hitachi IDE]

Spoiler

Mining Rig: [CPU Athlon 64 X2 4400+][GPUS 9 RX 560s, 2 RX 570][HDD 160GB something][RAM 8GBs DDR3][PSUs 1 Thermaltake 700w, 2 Delta 900w 120v Server modded]

RAINBOWS!!!

QUOTE ME SO I CAN SEE YOUR REPLYS!!!!

4 hours ago, Arty said:

don't see the option. 

Right-click anywhere on the start menu that isn't an item, and select Properties:

Capture.png

Set the title bar colour you want in Windows, then use custom colours to set the taskbar or start menu colours.

You own the software that you purchase - Understanding software licenses and EULAs

"We’ll know our disinformation program is complete when everything the american public believes is false" - William Casey, CIA Director 1981-1987

im going to install this latest windows version right now

truth b told i prefer the one i have now because it dynamicaly changes its color depending on my desktop color

my desktop is black and red,,, so i technicaly alredy got the dark theme

12 hours ago, Doobeedoo said:

Lame how Android doesn't have it and is slacking with it -_-

/s

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

Phones: iPhone 4S/SE | LG V10 | Lumia 920 | Samsung S24 Ultra

Laptops: Macbook Pro 15" (mid-2012) | Compaq Presario V6000

Other: Steam Deck

<>EVs are bad, they kill the planet and remove freedoms too some/<>

10 hours ago, GoodBytes said:

Every software has bugs. Anything new in the software world always has bugs attached.

Indeed it does, but a lot of the companies today seem to just let the consumer find it, then they fix it with an update.

Hell, the Unreal 4 engine has bugged built in tutorials.

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

1 hour ago, suicidalfranco said:

/s

Ow?

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

2 minutes ago, Doobeedoo said:

Ow?

Dunno but he might be referring to the fact that it's implemented in the upcoming Android N. 

5 minutes ago, Trixanity said:

Dunno but he might be referring to the fact that it's implemented in the upcoming Android N. 

Yeah, though before they neglected it and still on many OEMs it's not present.

11 minutes ago, Doobeedoo said:

Ow?

huh... you know... themes. Been there since what? the dawn of Android. Not even an unintuitive thing to do, any idiot-joe can get there.

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

1 minute ago, suicidalfranco said:

huh... you know... themes. Been there since what? the dawn of Android. Not even an unintuitive thing to do, any idiot-joe can get there.

That's not same. There should simply be dark option to change UI which is mainly most white... On my Xperia Z themes don't change white phone UI like settings, phone, messaging. I don't want some themes, there are many terrible ones. Just simple dark mode switch.

Just now, Doobeedoo said:

That's not same. There should simply be dark option to change UI which is mainly most white... On my Xperia Z themes don't change white phone UI like settings, phone, messaging. I don't want some themes, there are many terrible ones. Just simple dark mode switch.

themes give exactly that. nr9jBbQ.png

been using this for more than two years now. It is stock Android, with stock icons, with stock everything but all that is dark. ffs even darkens google now

1 minute ago, suicidalfranco said:

themes give exactly that. nr9jBbQ.png

been using this for more than two years now. It is stock Android, with stock icons, with stock everything but all that is dark. ffs even darkens google now

It's stock Android yes. For my phone official themes are garbage. And some heavy 3rd party ones, meh. My point was that it should be an option on phones same as for Win