Microsoft preparing a "Dark Theme" option for Windows 10 Anniversary update

AlTech

About damn time Microsoft! What the hell? Seriously! We've had this on Windows Phone and Windows 10 Mobile for ages! This has been here for more than 3 years! And yet Microsoft didn't add this to Windows!

Well finally it will be on Windows 10 for PCs in the Windows 10 Anniversary update aka Redstone 1.

For those who are impatient, it will likely come in the following Windows Insider Fast Ring builds.

This is what Microsoft had to say:

At Build last week, Gabe Aul hinted that a dark theme will also arrive with this update and after asking around, I was able to confirm that the internal builds Microsoft employees are using have a 'dark theme' toggle in the Settings menu. When you enable the theme, it turns everything not colored by your personalization color to the darker setting and is system-wide

This is really ironic and hilarious. Windows is getting features from Windows Mobile/Windows Phone? The supposedly "inferior" edition of Windows has features copied over to the supposedly "superior" edition of Windows?

*sighs* If this is the case then Surface Book 2 and Surface Pro 5 better have AMOLED displays!

http://www.windowscentral.com/windows-10-pcs-will-reportedly-add-dark-theme-option-anniversary-update

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

Yeah, itś just silly that we wouldn be able to customize system colours from the start...

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

AluminiumTech, you should get some book on programming. Programming is a lengthy process to do little things. It's not: "EnableDarkTheme()", and poof, magic whatever you are working on is now in dark theme, complete with AI system to design the dark theme for you. Things takes time. And Windows 10 was released 1 year ago, not 3 years ago. Universal Apps, part of Windows 10, was not there in the past. Back in Windows 8 days, a developers had to do a special app for Windows 8 desktop/laptop, and one for Windows Phone 8.

Just now, GoodBytes said:

AluminiumTech, you should get some book on programming. Programming is a lengthy process to do little things. It's not: "EnableDarkTheme()", and poof, magic whatever you are working on is now in dark theme, complete with AI system to design the dark theme for you. Things takes time. And Windows 10 was released 1 year ago, not 3 years ago. Universal Apps, part of Windows 10, was not there in the past. Back in Windows 8 days, a developers had to do a special app for Windows 8 desktop/laptop, and one for Windows 8 Mobile.

I do some programming. I know it's not that simple. But since Windows Phone 8 there has been a dark theme throughout the OS. They could have ported it to Desktop a long time ago.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

54 minutes ago, AluminiumTech said:

This is really ironic and hilarious. Windows is getting features from Windows Mobile/Windows Phone? The supposedly "inferior" edition of Windows has features copied over to the supposedly "superior" edition of Windows?

You are the only one here that says that it is inferior.

20 minutes ago, AluminiumTech said:

I do some programming. I know it's not that simple. But since Windows Phone 8 there has been a dark theme throughout the OS. They could have ported it to Desktop a long time ago.

No, because it didn't fit with the design language of Windows 8.

Just now, GoodBytes said:

You are the only one here that says that it is inferior.

Note the use of Supposedly. it's because everybody is like:

Windows 10 Mobile = meh

Windows 10 = cool

Looking forward to this been using the dark theme we currently have would like it to be dark all the time lol. 

CPU: i7 5820k @4.4GHz | MoboMSI MPower X99A | RAM: 16GB DDR4 Quad Channel Corsair LP | GPU: EVGA 1080 FTW Case: Define R5 Black Window | OS: Win 10 Pro

Storage: SanDisk Ultra II 960GB 2x WD Red 4TB | PSU: EVGA 750W G2 | Display:Acer XF270HU + Dell U2515H | Cooling: Phanteks PH-TC14PE

Keyboard: Ducky One  TKL Browns | Mouse: Steel Series Rival 300 | Sound: DT990s

8 minutes ago, GoodBytes said:

AluminiumTech, you should get some book on programming. Programming is a lengthy process to do little things. It's not: "EnableDarkTheme()", and poof, magic whatever you are working on is now in dark theme, complete with AI system to design the dark theme for you. Things takes time. And Windows 10 was released 1 year ago, not 3 years ago. Universal Apps, part of Windows 10, was not there in the past. Back in Windows 8 days, a developers had to do a special app for Windows 8 desktop/laptop, and one for Windows 8 Mobile.

And yet in the linux world customizing system colours is easy and widespread, with plenty of user made themes available. While developing a good dark theme may take a while, leaving the user the chance to customize more would be a lot quicker to implement.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

Hell yes. Can't wait. 

Wishing leads to ambition and ambition leads to motivation and motivation leads to me building an illegal rocket ship in my backyard.

Awesome. I would totally use this. I really like the dark theme recently put into the office suite

1. GLaDOS: i5 6600 EVGA GTX 1070 FE EVGA Z170 Stinger Cooler Master GeminS524 V2 With LTT Noctua NFF12 Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8 GB 3200 MHz Corsair SF450 850 EVO 500 Gb CableMod Widebeam White LED 60cm 2x Asus VN248H-P, Dell 12" G502 Proteus Core Logitech G610 Orion Cherry Brown Logitech Z506 Sennheiser HD 518 MSX
  2. Lenovo Z40 i5-4200U GT 820M 6 GB RAM 840 EVO 120 GB
  3. Moto X4 G.Skill 32 GB Micro SD Spigen Case Project Fi

only took them how long? sure colors/customization isn't priority number one, but goddamn. dark theme should have been there from day one.

7 minutes ago, Sauron said:

And yet in the linux world customizing system colours is easy and widespread, with plenty of user made themes available. While developing a good dark theme may take a while, leaving the user the chance to customize more would be a lot quicker to implement.

I had a dark smoked glass theme for KDE before Vista was released. It didn't have the performance hit of Aero either.

Good news. Can't wait to see it in action on my own PC.

Don't know what's with all the complaints and off topic chatter every time news come out. Tired of reading pages and pages of hate and trolling.

I'm very pleased to hear about this. I do like my UI on the dark side afterall. :ph34r:

42 minutes ago, othertomperson said:

I had a dark smoked glass theme for KDE before Vista was released. It didn't have the performance hit of Aero either.

Wasn't as nice looking, and Vista honly had performance issue with Intel integrated graphics, and VIA and S3 graphics chip at the the time, which could not handle alpha blending (very demanding).

52 minutes ago, huilun02 said:

Rainmeter? 

Not everyone trusts third party programs nor wants to go through the whole process which can be annoying iattimes. While I use it on everything, looking at percentage I am in minority, and can fully understand people that don't want to use such programs. 

The ability to google properly is a skill of its own. 

What's the big deal? Is a dark theme really that in demand? o.O 

*genuinely curious*

"Solus" (2015) - CPU: i7-4790k | GPU: MSI GTX 970 | Mobo: Asus Z97-A | Ram: 16GB (2x8) G.Skill Ripjaws X Series | PSU: EVGA G2 750W 80+ Gold | CaseFractal Design Define R4

Next Build: "Tyrion" (TBA)

1 hour ago, GoodBytes said:

AluminiumTech, you should get some book on programming. Programming is a lengthy process to do little things. It's not: "EnableDarkTheme()", and poof, magic whatever you are working on is now in dark theme, complete with AI system to design the dark theme for you. Things takes time. And Windows 10 was released 1 year ago, not 3 years ago. Universal Apps, part of Windows 10, was not there in the past. Back in Windows 8 days, a developers had to do a special app for Windows 8 desktop/laptop, and one for Windows Phone 8.

i agree but

this is already a feature in windows 10, just never was turned on.

Was found in the registry. 

5 minutes ago, Arty said:

i agree but

It is because it is incomplete

13 minutes ago, GoodBytes said:

I hope they don't change it......

it's literally perfect, 

they already fucked up the  accent color feature, with the threshold 2 update.

yo used to have the start menu and taskbar be black and the top bar on windows be a color instead of white, from registry tweaks and it looked really good, then with threshold 2 they broke  the tweak and fucked it up with their attempt of customization. 

ex: 

http://winaero.com/blog/get-colored-title-bars-in-windows-10/

Before

bB6p95B.png

After

vwhHX4N.png

If they at least gave the option to have the bottom stay black ..........that would have been nice...

5 hours ago, GoodBytes said:

Still, a dark theme should not take 1 year for MS :P But seriously, they probably started working on it later, or it was fairly down on their priorities.

MacBook Pro 15' 2018 (Pretty much the only system I use)

This is why they should've kept Barnacules.  Anyway.  This is neat.

Dark theme has been rolled out in the latest insider build. This build contains a lot of new things (many announced at BUILD) actually. 

5 minutes ago, SurvivorNVL said:

This is why they should've kept Barnacules.  Anyway.  This is neat.

Barnacules was a Software Developer in Test.

He builds programs to test functions developed by the Software Developers team to test them, find bugs, and report them.

That is all he did.

The role no longer exists (hence the huge layoff), and instead Microsoft opt to do like any other fast moving company, and just have the developer test the code themselves, and think more about their code before coding it, for quality work.

4 hours ago, Arty said:

i agree but

4 hours ago, GoodBytes said:

@GoodBytesis correct. While there is a dark theme inside of Windows 10, it is incomplete. They have completed it and will release it in the next OS. In that topic I made I mention only a few apps and things actually went into a dark theme.

4 hours ago, GeekJump said:

What's the big deal? Is a dark theme really that in demand? o.O 

*genuinely curious*

Well, considering how many people like and use the dark theme for this web site, yea I think there is a demand.

Also, a dark theme is easier on the eyes.