Microsoft preparing a "Dark Theme" option for Windows 10 Anniversary update

AlTech
1 minute ago, Doobeedoo said:

It's stock Android yes. For my phone official themes are garbage. And some heavy 3rd party ones, meh. My point was that it should be an option on phones same as for Win

And theme is the option

EDIT: i mean shit, now the theme setting on the settings app give you even the option to apply only parts of the changes that come in an official theme

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

Phones: iPhone 4S/SE | LG V10 | Lumia 920 | Samsung S24 Ultra

Laptops: Macbook Pro 15" (mid-2012) | Compaq Presario V6000

Other: Steam Deck

<>EVs are bad, they kill the planet and remove freedoms too some/<>

2 minutes ago, suicidalfranco said:

And theme is the option

No dark theme for my phone. They just change accent color which is nothing pretty much.

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

9 hours ago, Tocsin_786 said:

if only more people knew about this. black theme is irrelevant if you follow these steps. 

http://www.howtogeek.com/222831/how-to-get-colored-window-title-bars-on-windows-10-instead-of-white/

I know about that, but not only does it not let you change font colour on the windows (so that you get black on black if you set the border colour to that) but dark theme refers to window background too, not just the title bar.

Something like this:

cAz6r.png

which is readily available on free and open source software, but for whatever reason is unthinkable in software you paid for.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

6 hours ago, Delicieuxz said:

Right-click anywhere on the start menu that isn't an item, and select Properties:

Set the title bar colour you want in Windows, then use custom colours to set the taskbar or start menu colours.

took me a lil to realize i had to do it backward, xD

1 hour ago, Sauron said:

I know about that, but not only does it not let you change font colour on the windows (so that you get black on black if you set the border colour to that) but dark theme refers to window background too, not just the title bar.

Something like this:

which is readily available on free and open source software, but for whatever reason is unthinkable in software you paid for.

Because every OEM will put their own ugly ass skin, and people will say how terrible Windows looks.

Power users knows where to blame things. The average user doesn't.

17 hours ago, Delicieuxz said:

http://startisback.com/ gives you the option to independently colour the title and task bar, while keeping all the rest of the look stock. It also gives an option to manually adjust the transparency for parts of the UI.

Microsoft should have all these things included in W10 by default, but at least they can be changed this way. Also, Winaero tweaker probably gives the same options, and is free.

From what I can tell, you need those programs to run in the background if you want to make the changes I want to make. I don't like that.

But thanks for the suggestion.

3 hours ago, GoodBytes said:

Because every OEM will put their own ugly ass skin, and people will say how terrible Windows looks.

That's bullshit and you know it. It is already possible for OEMs to install "skins" if they want.

1 hour ago, LAwLz said:

That's bullshit and you know it. It is already possible for OEMs to install "skins" if they want.

As much as I want to agree with you. Many years ago, when OEMs has (well Dell still has, and select Lenovo's, but others like ASUS, and Acer I think) you had OEMs installing some Linux distro, and replacing the skin with their own. Heck, the problem is with Android as well, until you had sufficient people refusing to buy unless it is stock Android, and even then.

The reason why they don't put a skin now, is because they have to get a license of a software to do it, and nothing is officially supported, so if a user has a problem caused by the skin, they can't fix it. Because the user wants its skin, and the only fix is to remove it. So if you have an official support, then OEM doesn't need to break their heads, and now can "better differentiate" themselves, as they say (at least with Android skins).

1 hour ago, GoodBytes said:

As much as I want to agree with you. Many years ago, when OEMs has (well Dell still has, and select Lenovo's, but others like ASUS, and Acer I think) you had OEMs installing some Linux distro, and replacing the skin with their own. Heck, the problem is with Android as well, until you had sufficient people refusing to buy unless it is stock Android, and even then.

The reason why they don't put a skin now, is because they have to get a license of a software to do it, and nothing is officially supported, so if a user has a problem caused by the skin, they can't fix it. Because the user wants its skin, and the only fix is to remove it. So if you have an official support, then OEM doesn't need to break their heads, and now can "better differentiate" themselves, as they say (at least with Android skins).

Are you seriously trying to suggest that Microsoft did not implement a setting for changing text color... Because OEMs would use it to make Windows ugly...?

Are you kidding me? Maybe Microsoft should hire me because I got the perfect solution for that. Implement a proper theme engine, and then force manufacturers to keep the default on. You already said that the reason why they don't put skins on Windows is because they aren't allowed to by Microsoft. Keep forcing them to not do it, but give users the options. Hell I would be happy without some clever theme engine. Just give me a proper color selection and some other basic settings (see Windows 7 for examples). None of this garbage they got right now in Windows 10. The Windows 7 color selection function was great.

Look at this glorious screen:

180d1230589831t-window-color-appearance-

and now look at this pathetic screen:

pathetic.png

If you're on Build 14316 you already have the dark theme in the color settings.

On 4/6/2016 at 1:13 PM, GoodBytes said:

Barnacules was a Software Developer in Test.

He builds programs to test functions developed by the Software Developers team to test them, find bugs, and report them.

That is all he did.

The role no longer exists (hence the huge layoff), and instead Microsoft opt to do like any other fast moving company, and just have the developer test the code themselves, and think more about their code before coding it, for quality work.

Wasn't developing the Previewers program also a part of this as well, to increase and widen the field of bugs and error reporting on each build prior to releae. I know they used the previewer program for Win8 but it wasn't as productive (at least that was my understanding).

COMMUNITY STANDARDS   |   TECH NEWS POSTING GUIDELINES   |   FORUM STAFF

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

Reputation is a Lifetime to create but seconds to destroy.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

Docendo discimus - "to teach is to learn"

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

2 hours ago, LAwLz said:

Are you seriously trying to suggest that Microsoft did not implement a setting for changing text color... Because OEMs would use it to make Windows ugly...?

Are you kidding me? Maybe Microsoft should hire me because I got the perfect solution for that. Implement a proper theme engine, and then force manufacturers to keep the default on. You already said that the reason why they don't put skins on Windows is because they aren't allowed to by Microsoft. Keep forcing them to not do it, but give users the options. Hell I would be happy without some clever theme engine. Just give me a proper color selection and some other basic settings (see Windows 7 for examples). None of this garbage they got right now in Windows 10. The Windows 7 color selection function was great.

Look at this glorious screen:

and now look at this pathetic screen:

What the heck are you talking about, I am talking complete OS theme which was the topic.

Not personalization options.

55 minutes ago, GoodBytes said:

What the heck are you talking about, I am talking complete OS theme which was the topic.

Check the post you were responding to. Sauron said that you could not change font color on the title bar, nor could you change the background color (the color in for example Explorer). You responded that it was because OEMs would make it ugly and users would blame Microsoft. The picture of the dark themed KDE DE was just an example (the way I read it)

That should be a personalization option in Windows. Microsoft wouldn't even need to implement a full theme to fix those things. They had the issue fixed (at least the font one) back in Windows 7, and then fucked it up in 8 and 10.

These should not be hard things to fix either. The color info is saved somewhere, so all Microsoft would need to do is expose it to users. That and preferably port over some things from Windows 7 (like the color mixer).

10 minutes ago, LAwLz said:

Check the post you were responding to. Sauron said that you could not change font color on the title bar, nor could you change the background color (the color in for example Explorer). You responded that it was because OEMs would make it ugly and users would blame Microsoft. The picture of the dark themed KDE DE was just an example (the way I read it)

He is showing a themed KDE, which I assume that what he actually meant, based on the full conversation.

1 hour ago, SansVarnic said:

Wasn't developing the Previewers program also a part of this as well, to increase and widen the field of bugs and error reporting on each build prior to releae. I know they used the previewer program for Win8 but it wasn't as productive (at least that was my understanding).

The public, full, open to all, preview program started with Vista actually. And if you wonder, Vista was in far worst state than at release, and no Microsoft didn't have a feedback program like now, this is new to Windows 10. Windows 7 and before, it was a bit of a mess where to post feedback, there was no central place, so many were just not read. Windows 8 was essentially closed, fully controlled in the hands of Steve Sinofsky turned president of Windows decision after Windows 7... he is like Steve Jobs of Microsoft. Where the OS was his image, and micro managed everything in the sub teams. He left the company after Windows 8 didn't fair too good.

8 minutes ago, GoodBytes said:

The public, full, open to all, preview program started with Vista actually. And if you wonder, Vista was in far worst state than at release, and no Microsoft didn't have a feedback program like now, this is new to Windows 10. Windows 7 and before, it was a bit of a mess where to post feedback, there was no central place, so many were just not read. Windows 8 was essentially closed, fully controlled in the hands of Steve Sinofsky turned president of Windows decision after Windows 7... he is like Steve Jobs of Microsoft. Where the OS was his image, and micro managed everything in the sub teams. He left the company after Windows 8 didn't fair too good.

That is what I thought. Thanks.

COMMUNITY STANDARDS   |   TECH NEWS POSTING GUIDELINES   |   FORUM STAFF

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

Reputation is a Lifetime to create but seconds to destroy.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

Docendo discimus - "to teach is to learn"

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

On 7/4/2016 at 4:14 PM, GoodBytes said:

I guess you have a point there, but at the same time it wouldn't take much effort to just revert to the stock skin if they embedded that in the os directly.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

You are actually able to enable this, if you use WinAreo tweaker, at the moment.

Another thing they are adding for those with a precision touchpad are 4 finger gestures for manipulating the virtual desktops. Should be more convenient than the keyboard shortcut there is now. Hopefully there is a way to make the desktop gestures the 3 finger layer and make the alt-tab, win-a, and task viewer gestures the 4 finger layer. Microsoft is including lots of good gestures into windows with the precision touchpad standard but the customization options are a bit lacking.