ESD/Anti-Static Protection

TheMidnightNarwhal

I guess what i mean by this is if anyone has anything die from static. I didn't. I never had anything die one me and i never even knew about static electricity when i started building my PC's first. Right now i alway handle my new parts like a newborn baby, but the old ones i don't really care and yet nothing happened to them. I am sure something can happen but how likely is it? 

Specs: AMD FX 6300 @ 4ghz, Asus R9 270 OC, 8gb Corsair xms3, Cooler Master GX 550w PSU, WD 500 blue, Gigabyte  GA-970A-DS3

If you have a static charge on you, something WILL happen. 

If you have a static charge on you, something WILL happen. 

Maybe, not entirely. It could just flow through the component and not hurt it because the charge is too small.

If you frequently touch your case and grounded objects - it should be fine, honestly, but if a charge is built up like dragging along a carpet - the charge you get could damage part of or an entire component.  Grounding-strap is normally for people who are extra-worried, but honestly- touching your case = 99.9% safe.  Like an electric. . .nevermind xP

Maybe, not entirely. It could just flow through the component and not hurt it because the charge is too small.

Flowing through the component is still something happening... 

Flowing through the component is still something happening... 

Path of least resistance exists. It's unlikely to damage something.

If you frequently touch your case and grounded objects - it should be fine, honestly, but if a charge is built up like dragging along a carpet - the charge you get could damage part of or an entire component.  Grounding-strap is normally for people who are extra-worried, but honestly- touching your case = 99.9% safe.  Like an electric. . .nevermind xP

i usually just touch the outlet

Specs: AMD FX 6300 @ 4ghz, Asus R9 270 OC, 8gb Corsair xms3, Cooler Master GX 550w PSU, WD 500 blue, Gigabyte  GA-970A-DS3

Path of least resistance exists. It's unlikely to damage something.

Didn't say it didn't or would? Just said something would happen, and that's still something happening 

Well obviously it will vary from component to component. Honestly I don't see it as much of a problem, chances are you'll discharge yourself doing something to your case anyway. Then again... It's probably more of a problem if you live somewhere that has decent conditions for static to build up.

Well if you walk into the room and haven't touched anything made of metal in a while, if you have some static charge and you pick up a part there's a real possibility of frying it. But it's not very high. I never had it happen to me, but I know NCIX' Esther did with a hdd if I recall correctly.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

Didn't say it didn't or would? Just said something would happen, and that's still something happening 

Saying something will happen is implying SOMETHING WILL HAPPEN. No, something probably won't happen whether or not electricity just ran through the component. Just because you added electricity does NOT mean "something happening."

Ive never worn a wrist strap and have built servers on carpet. I fix computer for a living. Its fine

Saying something will happen is implying SOMETHING WILL HAPPEN. No, something probably won't happen whether or not electricity just ran through the component. Just because you added electricity does NOT mean "something happening."

But, you just said yourself electricity has ran through the component. That my friend, is something happening 

I am planning to build a pc soon, and I am on a budget so I don't want to spend AU$10 a strap I will just keep the PSU plugged in and make sure I am touching that. but if you can find a cheap strap buy it as you won't have to worry about the touching the PSU thing. 

Shifter  :D

Work on antistatic carpet so I don't need to worry.

I do now, but at the time of building my PC I didn't have one, so instead I made sure that I regularly touched the case of my plugged in power supply.

My PC:

4670k      GTX 760 ACX      CoolerMaster Hyper 412s      Fractal Design Node 804      G1 Sniper M5      Corsair RM 650      WD Red 1TB     Samsung 840 Evo 120GB

I try my best to be as careful as possible so I tend to wear an anti static wrist strap as well as touch my case every now and then. I know it's unnecessary but I don't even wanna know how mad I'd be at myself if I killed a part from static electricity.

I just touch my old pc case before touching any parts to put them in the new one.

The case is connected to the power supply which is grounded so when you touch the metal of the case you are grounded too.

It's 17 Dollars at Ncix , I really don't work on computers enough that the danger is real that I could shock something.

A riddle wrapped in an enigma , shot to the moon and made in China

I ordered a wrist-strap when I first ordered parts for my PC.  My parts arrived, but the strap was nowhere to be seen... so I just went along and built the PC anyway buy kept touching grounded metal throughout the process.  A month (!!!!) later, the wrist-strap arrived.  Ever since then, I have upgraded my GPU, added fans and installed a fan controller and have always worn the wrist-strap.

AMD FX-6300 @ 4.5ghz (1.332v) | Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO | Asus M5A97 R2.0 | Kingston HyperX 16GB @ 1600mhz | MSI Radeon R9 290 Twin Frozr

OCZ ModXStream Pro 600w PSU | 256GB Samsung 850 PRO SSD | 1TB Seagate Barracuda 7200.14 | Zalman Z11 Plus

I just touch a radiator a lot and build on a hard surface so as not to generate loads of static

Nope. Never have. I do touch the psu or bare metal on the case to ground myself first but after that i just go at it. 

Even the sainted Linus doesn't wear an anti-static WRIST strap as he finds it gets in the way, instead he wears it on his ankle (he says).

Two motoes to live by   "Sometimes there are no shortcuts"

"This too shall pass"