ESD/Anti-Static Protection

TheMidnightNarwhal

I just tap the metal case every now and then.

A man of charm with strange quarks. 

Nope, I earth myself to the case every few minutes.

MISS HOVER, I ATE MY GLUE!!!!

I don't.

Simply touching the case now and then will equalise any charge difference between you and the case.  Whilst actually building I am pretty much constantly in contact with the case any way

Pretty much the same.

Even with large full sized cases I find it is actually harder not to touch the case.

nope :P never used one i would however if id know where to buy one

i would however if id know where to buy one

No Amazon/E-Bay? 

Amazon has them for 86 pence from Hong Kong with free British delivery .

Not got someone in the UK that could get it and send it on to you?

Romania is hardly "developing world" do you not have some sort of electronics shop, they are such a generic item I would imagine most electronic shops have them?

You could make one yourself.

http://www.instructables.com/id/How-To-Make-A-Grounding-Wrist-Band/

Two motoes to live by   "Sometimes there are no shortcuts"

"This too shall pass"

No. #yolo that shit

Beneath this mask there is more than flesh. Beneath this mask there is an idea, Mr. Creedy, and ideas are bulletproof.

As I get older I get angrier more cynical, meaner. I feel some warning posts coming. I feel a ban coming. I was warned.

CPU-i5 2400 GPU-Sapphire Radeon HD 7970 OC Mobo-H67MA-D2H-B3 Ram-G.Skill Ripjaws 8gb 1333mhz Case-Fractal Define R4 PSU-Corsair CX750 Storage-Samsung EVO 250gb, 1tb WD Black,Hitachi 1tb Other stuff-Corsair K90, M90 Cooling-3x 140mm Fractal fans Sound-Sennheiser HD438 headphones

I don't, I usually just touch metal parts of my case everyonce and a while.

DO NOT BUILD ON CARPET.

if you install the psu first, and plug it into the wall without turning it on, it grounds the case. Touch it for a second and ground yourself. And I don't ever build a pc on carpet. Tile or wood floors if at all possible.

Oh and I'm naked.

Would that I could. My new flat is carpeted throughout :/

I live dangerously. 

Actually when I built it I just plugged in an extra PSU and occasionally touched the housing of it. Bam, grounded.

CPU: i9-13900k MOBO: Asus Strix Z790-E RAM: 64GB GSkill  CPU Cooler: Corsair H170i

GPU: Asus Strix RTX-4090 Case: Fractal Torrent PSU: Corsair HX-1000i Storage: 2TB Samsung 990 Pro

no, I like to live dangerously!

MoBo: 970A-D3P CPU: FX-8350 GPU: HD 7950 PSU: 1000watt RAM:8Gb of G,skill 1600

I put it on my ankle.

I have experienced a most likely death by static energy to a video card with a friend so yeah.

Why not spend $10 and 30 seconds putting it on while handling stuff worth hundreds of dollars?  Pretty dumb, eh?

CPU: Intel Core i7-4790k | CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 | Motherboard: ASUS Sabertooth Z97 MARK 1 | Memory: Kingston HyperX FURY 16GB 1866MHz | GPU: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 770 4GB Windforce

Storage: Samsung 840 EVO | PSU: CM Silent Pro 720W | Case: Phanteks Enthoo Luxe | Headset: Corsair Vengeance 2100 | Keyboard: Logitech G710+ | Mouse: Razer DeathAdder Chroma

"You see, one can only be angry with those he respects." - R. Nixon

No Amazon/E-Bay? 

Amazon has them for 86 pence from Hong Kong with free British delivery .

Not got someone in the UK that could get it and send it on to you?

Romania is hardly "developing world" do you not have some sort of electronics shop, they are such a generic item I would imagine most electronic shops have them?

You could make one yourself.

http://www.instructables.com/id/How-To-Make-A-Grounding-Wrist-Band/

i never searched for it specifically but i browsed shops alot and never got to see any

i will search for it and if i cant find any ill try to make one as a last resort :P

thx for the help :D

I've never seen an anti-static wrist strap IRL, just in images and videos. Does that tell enough?

I don't even touch the back of the PSU; whenever I'm working on my rig's hardware, I turn the PSU off and unplug the power cable. I never intentionally ground myself.

And not a single component has died on me due to static electricity.

So yeah. I like living on the edge...

Never trust my advice. Only take any and all advice from me with a grain of salt. Just a heads up.

Anti-static straps are extremely cheap and I usually use mine. I know its probably more than is necessary and I've never hurt anything with ESD before, but for like $6 I can't really come up with a good reason why not.

If, someday, it saves a component without me knowing it even did anything, its worth its price.

I do, i got it on EBay (my ONLY purchase from ebay) for $3, i couldn't pass

Spoiler
Spoiler

Obligatory PC specs

CPU: Intel Core i5-6600K 3.5GHz
CPU Cooler: Corsair H50
Motherboard: Asus Z170-E ATX LGA1151
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws 4 Series 16GB (2 x 8GB)
Storage: ADATA Premier SP550 240GB
Storage: Western Digital Blue 500GB
Storage: Western Digital BLACK SERIES 1TB
Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1060 6GB 6GB G1
Case: Fractal Design Define S
Power Supply: Corsair CSM 550W

Spoiler
If you are new please read the CoC!

Please FOLLOW YOUR OWN THREADS!

Quote people when replying to them.

PLEASE SELECT 'AUTOMATIC' FOR FONT COLOR FOR DARK THEME USERS.

Mark your problem as solved if answered and like all helpful information.

DO NOT QUOTE IMAGES(!) just type -pic- or tag them as spoiler.

Don't criticize people for asking "stupid question".

There is actually a hidden search feature on the forums here: Search 

IT DOESN'T MATTER IF YOU'RE A FANBOY/FANGIRL. WHAT MATTERS IS THAT YOU DON'T LET THAT EFFECT YOUR HARDWARE RECOMMENDATIONS.

DO NOT POST SPAM!

And if not, what is your technique of preventing damage?

I'll be building soon, my floor is carpet, my desk is a chipboard type material with a hard-plastic coating on it.

Nope I don't. I built my newest rig on carpet. I just have the habit of touching the case, and I always have the PSU installed/plugin but not on first. Never had a issue yet.

nope built my pc and rebuilt my pc on carpet and in socks never had a problem just touch a PSU 

l Intel Core i7 4790K @ 4.5Ghz l Asus VII Ranger ROG l MSI GTX 970 @ 1555MHz l 

PC PART PICKER

been working with computers A LOT (like I've been obsessed) since 2006 and no I do not, haven't had a single unit die on me because of it either.

Spoiler

CPU: R5 1600 @ 4.2 GHz; GPU: Asus STRIX & Gigabyte g1 GTX 1070 SLI; RAM: 16 GB Corsair vengeance 3200 MHz ; Mobo: Asrock Taichi x470; SSD: 512 gb Samsung 950 Pro Storage: 5x Seagate 2TB drives; 1x 2TB WD PurplePSU: 700 Watt Huntkey; Peripherals: Acer S277HK 4K Monitor; Logitech G502 gaming mouse; Corsair K95 Mechanical keyboard; 5.1 Logitech x530 sound system

01000010 01101001 01101110 01100001 01110010 01111001 00100000 01100100 01101111 01100101 01110011 01101110 00100111 01110100 00100000 01101101 01100001 01101011 01100101 00100000 01111001 01101111 01110101 00100000 01110000 01110010 01101111 00101110

Nope, Im on carpet but PC is on a wood desk I just do same as everyone else and periodically touch case while working on it. Been doing it for over a year no issues.

Steam and origins ID: Erebus305

Honestly I don't really take any safety precautions when putting together a computer. I'm pretty rough when I put my computers together, and has been fried or damaged (By my own hands).

Just touch a metal part of the case to ground yourself if you are worried about it.

My Rig:

Spoiler

Case: NZXT H210 CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700x  Motherboard:  MSI B450 AM4 Motherboard  Memory: GeIL EVO POTENZA 16GB Video Card: MSI RX480 Power Supply: Corsair TX 750w Storage: Samsung 840 120GB And a 500GB WD BLUE Monitor: Acer S231HLbid 23" and an old Dell Mouse: RAZER DeathAdder 3.5G Keyboard: Ducky DK9008G2 PRO MX Cherry Blue