Intel: Tick-Tock cycle dead, now instead "Process-Architecture-Optimization"

Source: http://www.anandtech.com/show/10183/intels-tick-tock-seemingly-dead-becomes-process-architecture-optimization

As reported at The Motley Fool, Intel’s latest 10-K / annual report filing would seem to suggest that the ‘Tick-Tock’ strategy of introducing a new lithographic process note in one product cycle (a ‘tick’) and then an upgraded microarchitecture the next product cycle (a ‘tock’) is going to fall by the wayside for the next two lithographic nodes at a minimum, to be replaced with a three element cycle known as ‘Process-Architecture-Optimization’.

From Intel's report: As part of our R&D efforts, we plan to introduce a new Intel Core microarchitecture for desktops, notebooks (including Ultrabook devices and 2 in 1 systems), and Intel Xeon processors on a regular cadence. We expect to lengthen the amount of time we will utilize our 14nm and our next generation 10nm process technologies, further optimizing our products and process technologies while meeting the yearly market cadence for product introductions.

Tech.png

Well, we have been hearing a lot about Moore's law being dead and stuff recently. I guess this is just another confirmation for that. Intel seems to be officially calling the tick-tock cycle dead as well, and are now moving onto a process architecture optimization cycle, or as I like to call it tick-tock-tack (Sorry if it sounds lame but it makes sense). 

We all know that instead of bringing Cannonlake this year Intel will be bringing Kaby Lake instead. It was pretty obvious Kaby Lake probably wouldn't be a brand new architecture. Now this is just more confirmation that Kaby Lake will only be some optimizations and not anything new. People have been suggesting a new graphics architecture, which sounds pretty likely to me, and perhaps a few small tweaks to the CPU itself. 

One thing I am wondering-other silicon chip manufacturers like TSMC seem to still be somewhat following Moore's law. While Intel has postponed 10nm to 2017 and 7nm to at least 2019 and most likely 2020, TSMC has instead said it will begin 10nm this year and have 7nm in 2018. Intel has always had the superior manufacture process at each node, but this probably won't hold true when comparing TSMC 7nm vs Intel 10nm. If Intel is moving to a 3 year cycle while companies like TSMC are not, could this mean Intel will start to fall behind when it comes to manufacturing process? Only time will tell, I guess.

Make sure to quote me or tag me when responding to me, or I might not know you replied! Examples:

Do this:

And make sure you do it by hitting the quote button at the bottom left of my post, and not the one inside the editor!

Or this:

@DocSwag

Buy whatever product is best for you, not what product is "best" for the market.

Interested in computer architecture? Still in middle or high school? P.M. me!

I love computer hardware and feel free to ask me anything about that (or phones). I especially like SSDs. But please do not ask me anything about Networking, programming, command line stuff, or any relatively hard software stuff. I know next to nothing about that.

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

CPU: i7 6700k, CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3, Motherboard: MSI Z170a KRAIT GAMING, RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 4 Series 4x4gb DDR4-2666 MHz, Storage: SanDisk SSD Plus 240gb + OCZ Vertex 180 480 GB + Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB 7200 RPM, Video Card: EVGA GTX 970 SSC, Case: Fractal Design Define S, Power Supply: Seasonic Focus+ Gold 650w Yay, Keyboard: Logitech G710+, Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum, Headphones: B&O H9i, Monitor: LG 29um67 (2560x1080 75hz freesync)

Home Server:

Spoiler

CPU: Pentium G4400, CPU Cooler: Stock, Motherboard: MSI h110l Pro Mini AC, RAM: Hyper X Fury DDR4 1x8gb 2133 MHz, Storage: PNY CS1311 120gb SSD + two Segate 4tb HDDs in RAID 1, Video Card: Does Intel Integrated Graphics count?, Case: Fractal Design Node 304, Power Supply: Seasonic 360w 80+ Gold, Keyboard+Mouse+Monitor: Does it matter?

Laptop (I use it for school):

Spoiler

Surface book 2 13" with an i7 8650u, 8gb RAM, 256 GB storage, and a GTX 1050

And if you're curious (or a stalker) I have a Just Black Pixel 2 XL 64gb

Dude... One thing history has shown...

NEVER underestimate intel's engineers .

Companies went under because they did just that.

AMD Ryzen R7 1700 (3.8ghz) w/ NH-D14, EVGA RTX 2080 XC (stock), 4*4GB DDR4 3000MT/s RAM, Gigabyte AB350-Gaming-3 MB, CX750M PSU, 1.5TB SDD + 7TB HDD, Phanteks enthoo pro case

3 minutes ago, Coaxialgamer said:

thats a given rule like never try to invade Russia xD 

Project Iridium:   CPU: Intel 4820K   CPU Cooler: Custom Loop  Motherboard: Asus Rampage IV Black Edition   RAM: Avexir Blitz  Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 250GB SSD and Seagate Barracuda 3TB HDD   GPU: Asus 780 6GB Strix   Case: IN WIN 909   PSU: Corsair RM1000      Project Iridium build log http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/451088-project-iridium-build-log/

5 minutes ago, MyInnerFred said:

Postponed?! Damit Intel, the speed of advancements should go up! Not slow down!

Dam market control probably gives them the leverage to not be as aggressive.

or it could be that creating processes that are that damn small is difficult when you have to deal with electrical interference from circuits at that scale as well as heat dissipation.

But yes I'd imagine since they have such a grip on the x86 market, they don't need to worry about that market segment. Intel is focusing on mobile processing heavily at the moment and will continue to do so. 

Just now, _ASSASSIN_ said:

or it could be that creating processes that are that damn small is difficult when you have to deal with electrical interference from circuits at that scale as well as heat dissipation.

But yes I'd imagine since they have such a grip on the x86 market, they don't need to worry about that market segment. Intel is focusing on mobile processing heavily at the moment and will continue to do so. 

And yet their mobile processor track record has still been disappointing for investors. 

I understand the difficulty that comes with creating smaller and smaller chips but the way they worded their changes seems far more like a excuse to slow down on advancement because of a detour in technological capabilities while these lack of technological capabilities have been being discussed about for years now and should have various alternative options to approach or remedy.

Like watching Anime? Consider joining the unofficial LTT Anime Club Heaven Society~ ^.^

seriously...an old dvd cut into halves for a graph...intel that's not serious right?

| CPU: Core i7-8700K @ 4.89ghz - 1.21v  Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E GAMING  CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 |
| GPU: MSI RTX 3080Ti Ventus 3X OC  RAM: 32GB T-Force Delta RGB 3066mhz |
| Displays: Acer Predator XB270HU 1440p Gsync 144hz IPS Gaming monitor | Oculus Quest 2 VR

Well, it was more like

Tick *semi-tock* Tock *semi-tick* Tick + or - a few tick's and tocks

As we've seen with skylake, Kaby lake doesn't seem too promising 

Ex) Haswell, Broadwell, Skylake

Tick Semi Tock Tock

But yeah

Intel should focus on getting the nm's down and getting the GHz up towards 3.5+ on all CPU's, Power effiency should be kept to where it is now, and they should try to reduce it on i7E to the power efficiency of a regular i7, since not too many people buying i7's care about an extra $1 or 2 on their powerbill 

1 minute ago, i_build_nanosuits said:

seriously...an old dvd cut into halves for a graph...intel that's not serious right?

well considering all the money they put into R&D , they probably couldn't afford more than a class of 11 year olds to make their graphs , would they xD

AMD Ryzen R7 1700 (3.8ghz) w/ NH-D14, EVGA RTX 2080 XC (stock), 4*4GB DDR4 3000MT/s RAM, Gigabyte AB350-Gaming-3 MB, CX750M PSU, 1.5TB SDD + 7TB HDD, Phanteks enthoo pro case

11 minutes ago, MyInnerFred said:

It's a shame. Intel really doesn't have much competition on the high performance market, so they seem to just be minimizing their R&D costs from what I can tell. 

4 minutes ago, i_build_nanosuits said:

:P I'm pretty sure they're supposed to be halves of silicon wafers.

Having problems with your fresh Windows 10 install? PM Me!
Windows 10- Want To Disable Telemetry, Disable Cortana, Disable Windows Updates? Look at my guide HERE
LTT Beginners Guide  | Community Standards | TN&R Posting Guidelines

14 minutes ago, i_build_nanosuits said:

I hope you're kidding .-.

its a silicon wafer I really hope you're joking 

32 minutes ago, Coaxialgamer said:

There is one other thing to not underestimate and that is called the laws of physics.

I highly doubt they will be able to keep up even a 3 year process node cadence given how they themselves predict dumping silicon for much more expensive high performance materials such as GaAs and other alternatives that have been in use for many years in applications where cost is no object and you physically need the material to even get it to work.

Given how I've noticed my 5 year old computers/laptops being perfectly usable Moore's law as effectively dead a long time ago for consumers especially since I remember way back decades ago where every few years was a literal giant leap (>2x) in computer performance while now it is at best 10-20% better. The only revolution that changed the way I use computers was SSDs in recent times.

What will likely happen is tons more fixed function hardware and the inclusion of FPGAs (Intel owns Altera now) to try and eek out differentiation every year.

1 hour ago, MyInnerFred said:

It slows down necessarily because of an exponential increase in difficulty. ASML is 2 generations late getting their EUV Lithography tech out the door (it was originally intended for use at the 14nm node, not the 7nm, and it's only viable down to ~3nm anyway). The entire industry is switching gears on new materials and revolutionary new technologies. Intel is going as fast as it can. That doesn't mean perceptually for us as consumers that they are moving quickly. Further, they want to become leaders in FPGAs. That requires a process node advantage. Intel is moving as fast as physics and its engineering prowess allows (and some internal politics, certainly).

1 hour ago, Maybach123 said:

You can invade Russia, but don't try to fight in the Winter. You WILL lose.

58 minutes ago, Coaxialgamer said:

well considering all the money they put into R&D , they probably couldn't afford more than a class of 11 year olds to make their graphs , would they xD

Intel historically has very simple, logical presentation formats. Even their programming tutorials have the same theme throughout. Boring? Sure, but I care about the substance, not the frill.

59 minutes ago, Oshino Shinobu said:

It's a shame. Intel really doesn't have much competition on the high performance market, so they seem to just be minimizing their R&D costs from what I can tell. 

IBM Power 8 and Oracle Sparc 7 both say hello. Intel has a lot of competition still going strong. Simply follow the SAP business benchmarks. x86 gets creamed in large databases and mass transaction workloads. That's one reason the TSX instructions were created. And that's why Several of its partners are creating 32-socket x86 server boards where Intel only officially supports up to 16 (not having to move between boards/nodes reduces a lot of communication overhead). And that's why Purley expands the interconnect to 16-star-associative instead of 8.

30 minutes ago, Roawoao said:

There is one other thing to not underestimate and that is called the laws of physics.

I highly doubt they will be able to keep up even a 3 year process node cadence given how they themselves predict dumping silicon for much more expensive high performance materials such as GaAs and other alternatives that have been in use for many years in applications where cost is no object and you physically need the material to even get it to work.

Given how I've noticed my 5 year old computers/laptops being perfectly usable Moore's law as effectively dead a long time ago for consumers especially since I remember way back decades ago where every few years was a literal giant leap (>2x) in computer performance while now it is at best 10-20% better. The only revolution that changed the way I use computers was SSDs in recent times.

What will likely happen is tons more fixed function hardware and the inclusion of FPGAs (Intel owns Altera now) to try and eek out differentiation every year.

What do you think Intel's been researching the last 5 years while ASML has been floundering? Intel has several contenders for the next-gen material be it Silicon-Germanium as IBM demoed, one of the III-V family (Gallium-Arsenide being one iirc), or Carbon Nanotubes which it has been collaborating with MIT's research labs on. Transitioning nodes every 2-3 years will be possible, but the tuning time will be extended. AMD does 3 product refreshes per architecture, so is it really unfair to be hating on Intel for this (not you specifically, but in general)?

You are correct about fixed-function units. Intel is certainly learning from Apple on this one.

Software Engineer for Suncorp (Australia), Computer Tech Enthusiast, Miami University Graduate, Nerd

1 hour ago, Maybach123 said:

Japans done so before in fact they were the first eastern nation to successfully invade a western nation and guess what that western nation just happens to be Russia

Spoiler

My system is the Dell Inspiron 15 5559 Microsoft Signature Edition

The Austrailian king of LTT said that I'm awesome and a funny guy. the greatest psu list known to man DDR3 ram guide

i got 477 posts in my first 30 days on LinusTechTips.com

Just now, themaniac said:

Japans done so before in fact they were the first eastern nation to successfully invade a western nation and guess what that western nation just happens to be Russia

ok let me amend that never invade russia on the western front in the winter.

Project Iridium:   CPU: Intel 4820K   CPU Cooler: Custom Loop  Motherboard: Asus Rampage IV Black Edition   RAM: Avexir Blitz  Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 250GB SSD and Seagate Barracuda 3TB HDD   GPU: Asus 780 6GB Strix   Case: IN WIN 909   PSU: Corsair RM1000      Project Iridium build log http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/451088-project-iridium-build-log/

16 minutes ago, themaniac said:

Japan never successfully invaded Russia. They won the Russo-Japanese war in naval battles and in land warfare in Manchuria and Korea. They were defeated by Soviet forces in the lead-up to WWII.

At least it's not AMD tick tock tack teck tuck

/jk

Error: 451                             

I'm not copying helping, really :P

This feels like a calm before the storm moment. Since we've pushed the limits of standard silicon transistors as far as they will go (dammit planck), we're about to see a revolution in computing that could both give us astronomically high performance increases, or not very much at all. The tension is high.

We have a NEW and GLORIOUSER-ER-ER PSU Tier List Now. (dammit @LukeSavenije stop coming up with new ones)

You can check out the old one that gave joy to so many across the land here

Computer having a hard time powering on? Troubleshoot it with this guide. (Currently looking for suggestions to update it into the context of <current year> and make it its own thread)

Computer Specs:

Spoiler

Mathresolvermajig: Intel Xeon E3 1240 (Sandy Bridge i7 equivalent)

Chillinmachine: Noctua NH-C14S
Framepainting-inator: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2 Hybrid

Attachcorethingy: Gigabyte H61M-S2V-B3

Infoholdstick: Corsair 2x4GB DDR3 1333

Computerarmor: Silverstone RL06 "Lookalike"

Rememberdoogle: 1TB HDD + 120GB TR150 + 240 SSD Plus + 1TB MX500

AdditionalPylons: Phanteks AMP! 550W (based on Seasonic GX-550)

Letterpad: Rosewill Apollo 9100 (Cherry MX Red)

Buttonrodent: Razer Viper Mini + Huion H430P drawing Tablet

Auralnterface: Sennheiser HD 6xx

Liquidrectangles: LG 27UK850-W 4K HDR

1 hour ago, patrickjp93 said:

or Carbon Nanotubes

carbon nanotube tranSISTORS! *pushes up glasses*

I saw the chance for a reference. I took the chance.

For this who don't know, it's a joke on net linked daily on NCIX.

The smartest idiot you will ever find

13 minutes ago, Potato_King said:

carbon nanotube tranSISTORS! *pushes up glasses*

I saw the chance for a reference. I took the chance.

For this who don't know, it's a joke on net linked daily on NCIX.

Well played sir! xD

Software Engineer for Suncorp (Australia), Computer Tech Enthusiast, Miami University Graduate, Nerd

1 minute ago, TrigrH said:

Here is the real graphic:

sAkSqa.png

I'm not a photoshopper or even a user of Paint, so here's my two cents.

Process (get the new node producing the tweaked old architecture well, add in new graphics, boost up core count for servers and possibly enthusiasts)

Architecture (introduce the new one with new demanded feature sets, even if there isn't time to tune up clock speeds or power, add new graphics if ready, possibly add cores)

Optimization (shave instruction latencies, introduce more instructions as demanded, tune up clock speed, add new graphics if ready)

And pray IBM doesn't get a massive breakthrough at the wrong time.

1 hour ago, Energycore said:

This feels like a calm before the storm moment. Since we've pushed the limits of standard silicon transistors as far as they will go (dammit planck), we're about to see a revolution in computing that could both give us astronomically high performance increases, or not very much at all. The tension is high.

I'd bet genetic engineering is going to be the next actual technological revolution vs some magical breakthrough that saves moore's law for another 2 years after being dead for 5 years or so. Instead of making faster computers why not longer living, smarter, healthier people. 

Not only that I'd almost certain AI is just going to take the cheap route and use a literal squishy brain on a chip using genetically engineered neurons that are adapted to live on an active electrode array.

There is no way chip scaling can go sub-atomic or even close to that and I highly doubt quantum computers will ever be practical in consumer applications let alone any given their highly statistic dependent operation (almost random) and almost all requiring cryogenic conditions to operate and a classical super computer clusters to process the results.

If you think about it biology has stuff down to 1nm and can both do self assembly, computing, energy, .... all using cheap/easy to make carbon based compounds. You want nanomachines well protiens in biology protiens literally are nanomachines everything from motors, electrical gates, ratchets, sensors, .. if you think about it gray goo already happened a long time ago given the planet is pretty much plastered with self replicating diverse lifeforms it is just more of a green goo situation. 

With the level of understanding in genetics just starting to take off now it is a pretty ripe area of development. Compared to Intel, life in general has been developing this stuff continuously for a few billion years and even if we just figure a tiny bit out it could be revolutionary (generally cure cancer kind of stuff). Of course there are also huge ethical, technical, safety pitfalls as well given any powerful technology.

2 hours ago, themaniac said:

... that western nation just happens to be Russia

Russia = Western = Does not compute :o

Spartan 1.0

Spoiler

CPU: Intel Core i7-4770K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor

CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Seidon 120XL 86.2 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler

Motherboard: Asus Maximus VI Extreme ATX LGA1150 Motherboard
Memory: Corsair Dominator 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory
Storage: OCZ Vector Series 512GB 2.5" Solid State Drive
Storage: Seagate Desktop HDD 4TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive

Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 980 4GB Classified ACX 2.0 Video Card
Case: Thermaltake Urban S41 ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: Corsair 1200W 80+ Platinum Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply
Optical Drive: LG BH16NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer
Optical Drive: LG BH10LS30 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
Sound Card: Creative Labs ZXR 24-bit 192 KHz Sound Card
Monitor: 2x Asus VG278HE 27.0" 144Hz Monitor
Keyboard: Logitech G19s Wired Gaming Keyboard
Keyboard: Razer Orbweaver Elite Mechanical Gaming Keypad Wired Gaming Keyboard
Mouse: Logitech G700s Wireless Laser Mouse
Headphones: Creative Labs EVO ZxR 7.1 Channel  Headset
Speakers: Creative Labs GigaWorks T40 Series II 32W 2ch Speakers

Hades 1.0

Spoiler