CUDA reverse engineered to work on Intel and AMD.

zacRupnow

NVIDIA-CUDA.jpg.4c942497252a3f3c63f17930

SOURCE: http://venturebeat.com/2016/03/09/otoy-breakthrough-lets-game-developers-run-the-best-graphics-software-across-platforms/

It may be very arcane to most of us, but graphics startup Otoy has come up with a breakthrough that should help game developers create much more beautiful games that can run across different hardware platforms.

In a nutshell, Otoy reverse-engineered Nvidia’s general purpose graphics processing unit (GPGPU) software, known as CUDA, to run on non-Nvidia hardware. That means that programs written in the CUDA language are no longer exclusive to Nvidia graphics chips. Now they can run on GPUs from Advanced Micro Devices, ARM, and Intel. That means a CUDA program written for the PC could run on a PlayStation 4 or an Apple iPad.

Otoy has ported the CUDA language to run on AMD, Intel, and ARM GPUs for the first time ever. That means any application written in CUDA can run, without modification, on all major chipsets and platforms. While there is an independent GPGPU standard dubbed OpenCL, it isn’t necessarily as good as CUDA, Otoy believes.

I won't pretend to know alot about CUDA but I know it's a big deal for modeling and architecture. I don't know about its application in games.

Broad compatibility is always good, and there is not many reasons to need to lock software to hardware outside of the live lighting production world.

cuda_06.jpg

“We have been able to do this without changing a line of CUDA code, and it runs on AMD chips,” Urbach said. “You can now program once and take CUDA everywhere. AMD has never really been able to provide an alternative.”

Now I see a few responses NVIDIA may have.

1. They say nothing. -EDIT- And also do either 3 or 4.
  2. They say that Otoy's re-work is an unofficial modification and they will not be responsible for anything going wrong. This is of course obvious but the statement would be meant to denounce or discourage the use of Otoy's CUDA.
  3. They update their code to be exclusive again along with their next feature update.
  4. They immediately release an update.

I run my browser through NSA ports to make their illegal jobs easier. :P
If it's not broken, take it apart and fix it.
http://pcpartpicker.com/b/fGM8TW

This is going to lead to nvidia attacking AMD with dedicated hair processing software and AMD shooting fire from a 290x back at them in defense, while intel drives off in a prius

Doesn't Intel already have the license to use CUDA, they just haven't yet?

11 minutes ago, Tech_Dreamer said:

Nvidia right now...

54233718.jpg

Nah, that's for when you use an Nvidia card for PhysX with an AMD one, or SLI on non SLI certified boards :P

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

20 minutes ago, zacRupnow said:

Now I see a few responses NVIDIA may have.

1. They say nothing.
  2. They say that Otoy's re-work is an unofficial modification and they will not be responsible for anything going wrong.
  3. This is of course obvious but the statement would be meant to denounce or discourage the use of Otoy's CUDA.
  4. They update their code to be exclusive again along with their next feature update.
  5. They immediately release an update.

2,3,4 and 5 will in all probability be what happens.

Mystery is the source of all true science.

1 minute ago, Sors said:

That's what I think but they might do the updates without saying anything.

I run my browser through NSA ports to make their illegal jobs easier. :P
If it's not broken, take it apart and fix it.
http://pcpartpicker.com/b/fGM8TW

2 minutes ago, Sors said:

Doinf 4 would create a game of cat and mouse similar to what happened when people figured out how to enable SLI on motherboards with the right PCIe slot configuration but no Nvidia chipset.

http://www.overclock.net/t/670810/howto-sli-on-a-non-sli-motherboard-gtx5xx-compatible-1-0-final-released

Should get 2x GTX 580 and run them on my P5Q Deluxe+Xeon X5450 (3.6GHz, 4-4.4GHz when I get a better cooler).

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

I'm interested to see how this will affect AMDs project HIP.

Pixelbook Go i5 Pixel 4 XL 

Didn't AMD recently do something that gave them access to CUDA?

My posts are in a constant state of editing :)

CPU: i7-4790k @ 4.7Ghz MOBO: ASUS ROG Maximums VII Hero  GPU: Asus GTX 780ti Directcu ii SLI RAM: 16GB Corsair Vengeance PSU: Corsair AX860 Case: Corsair 450D Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 250 GB, WD Black 1TB Cooling: Corsair H100i with Noctua fans Monitor: ASUS ROG Swift

laptop

Some ASUS model. Has a GT 550M, i7-2630QM, 4GB or ram and a WD Black SSD/HDD drive. MacBook Pro 13" base model
Apple stuff from over the years
iPhone 5 64GB, iPad air 128GB, iPod Touch 32GB 3rd Gen and an iPod nano 4GB 3rd Gen. Both the touch and nano are working perfectly as far as I can tell :)

Yeah CUDA requires a license for a reason, anyone using this in their product is immediately going to eat shit in court. AMD and Intel could get licenses for CUDA, but refuse not to. Their problem, not Nvidia's.

Not only will anyone using this face serious legal consequences, but the performance is not guaranteed, all they say is the "it will run". They aren't saying that it will run without performance degradation/overhead, or whatever you want to call it. 

Spoiler

Case Bitfenix Ghost, Mobo Asus Maximus VIII Ranger, CPU i7 6700K @4.2 Ghz cooled by Arctic cooling Freezer i30, (barely). GPU Nvidia GTX 970 Gigabyte G1 @1519Mhz core, RAM 16Gb Crucial Ballistix CL16 @2400Mhz. SSD 128GB Sandisk Ultra Plus as my OS drive. HDD's  1TB  Seagate ST31000524AS its OEM, 3TB Seagate Barracuda, 2x 500GB WDC Blue (RAID 0)

If it isn't working absolutely perfectly, according to all your assumptions, it is broken.

2 hours ago, AlwaysFSX said:

Yeah CUDA requires a license for a reason, anyone using this in their product is immediately going to eat shit in court. AMD and Intel could get licenses for CUDA, but refuse not to. Their problem, not Nvidia's.

Intel has a CUDA license but i think they only use it for Xeon Phi, not sure if you can get official CUDA support into a iGPU, and AMD has actively refused to get a CUDA license. From what i read on the forum whenever CUDA is part of the discussion is that there was a point where Nvidia offered them the license for no cost or ultra cheap or something like that, but AMD for whatever reason always refused, though recently they announced a way that CUDA code can work on their GPU's but is not exactly official CUDA is more like a converter of sorts, that turns it into C++ or another non proprietary language but either way CUDA in some form should work on AMD at some point.

this is one of the greatest thing that has happened to me recently, and it happened on this forum, those involved have my eternal gratitude http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/198850-update-alex-got-his-moto-g2-lets-get-a-moto-g-for-alexgoeshigh-unofficial/ :')

i use to have the second best link in the world here, but it died ;_; its a 404 now but it will always be here

NGOHQ did this years ago and they got slapped by nVidia with cease and desists 

25 minutes ago, zMeul said:

NGOHQ did this years ago and they got slapped by nVidia with cease and desists 

Yeah, that tends to happen when somebody reverse-engineers proprietary software and distributes it without the permission of the owner. It'll happen here too.

Intel i7 5820K (4.5 GHz) | MSI X99A MPower | 32 GB Kingston HyperX Fury 2666MHz | Asus RoG STRIX GTX 1080ti OC | Samsung 951 m.2 nVME 512GB | Crucial MX200 1000GB | Western Digital Caviar Black 2000GB | Noctua NH-D15 | Fractal Define R5 | Seasonic 860 Platinum | Logitech G910 | Sennheiser 599 | Blue Yeti | Logitech G502

Nikon D500 | Nikon 300mm f/4 PF  | Nikon 200-500 f/5.6 | Nikon 50mm f/1.8 | Tamron 70-210 f/4 VCII | Sigma 10-20 f/3.5 | Nikon 17-55 f/2.8 | Tamron 90mm F2.8 SP Di VC USD Macro | Neewer 750II

Death to proprietary software! Hello open source. 

When I make a post, unless I am the original poster or ask for a reply, don't bother replying or quoting me because I don't read them.

If I'm not mistaken, AMD got a CUDA license not too long ago, and I think the reason they didn't have support for it is that it would be patent infringement rather than them not being able to figure out how it works, and that applies to the rest of the proprietary nvidia stuff.

kewl I guess...

AMD announced CUDA support to come a while ago

but can't we just use ACE?

CPU: Intel i7 5820K @ 4.20 GHz | MotherboardMSI X99S SLI PLUS | RAM: Corsair LPX 16GB DDR4 @ 2666MHz | GPU: Sapphire R9 Fury (x2 CrossFire)
Storage: Samsung 950Pro 512GB // OCZ Vector150 240GB // Seagate 1TB | PSU: Seasonic 1050 Snow Silent | Case: NZXT H440 | Cooling: Nepton 240M
FireStrike // Extreme // Ultra // 8K // 16K

Haha, the one thing Nvidia had over AMD at rendering is now fucked over! Screw you Nvidia!

4 hours ago, AlwaysFSX said:

No it is Nvidia everything they do is closed.

Edited by Godlygamer23
Clean up.

4 minutes ago, Jahramika said:

No it is Nvidia everything they do is closed.

Good, prevents idiots from fucking up software because they think they know what they're doing.

Edited by Godlygamer23
Clean up.

7 hours ago, iamdarkyoshi said:

while intel drives off in a prius

lol, i'd not rule out intel that easily. They've been gaining quite the momentum with their iGPU's. I'm suspecting those Iris Pro 580's will be quite competitive, if placed in affordable CPU packages.

Believe they're specced for 1,2Tflops, which is GTX 750/750TI territory.