Quantum Break's cutscenes require internet connection - Streamed video

Samfisher

Source : http://www.pcgamesn.com/quantum-break/quantum-breaks-live-action-cutscenes-will-require-an-internet-connection

Quantum_Break_Beth_Wilder.jpg

Quantum Break, Remedy's upcoming time warping shooter, will employ a blend of videogame cutscenes and live action TV show in an attempt to tell a story in a new, cross media way. As it turns out, though, these live action cutscenes won't be on the disc and will be at the mercy of your internet connection as they're streamed to your PC.

Holy freakin balls, this is some extreme DRM bullshit!  First all the fluff of being a MS Store exclusive, then all the nonsense with the MS Store game issues with v-sync and no executables, and now this.  Is Remedy just looking for ways to NOT succeed with the game??

With branching paths and in-game decisions affecting how these episodes play out - there are apparently 40 different variations of the show - there just wouldn't have been enough room to get it all on-disc. 

Xbox One players will have the option of downloading episodes, but PC players won't be able to do the same. Hopefully you have a good internet connection, especially if you want to stream the episodes in 4K - a PC-exclusive option.

I call total BS on this... No space on the disc?  Get it on more fucking discs then... RIP everyone with an internet bandwidth cap, low bandwidth, high latency connection.  This is beyond Ubisoft level now.

QUOTE ME IN A REPLY SO I CAN SEE THE NOTIFICATION!

When there is no danger of failure there is no pleasure in success.

Yeah.... One game I definitely am not going to be getting. Also who uses disks anymore lol? Just do what every other manufacturer is doing and make the whole damn thing downloadable. Pull a Blizzard and have it fucking download the first part so you can play the damn game as its loading! Anyone wanting to stream the  cut-scenes  at a res higher then 1080p is going to have a hell of a time with lag when their internet is less then 10Mbps...... Oh wait I only get 7....

Use this guide to fix text problems in your postGo here and here for all your power supply needs

New Build Currently Under Construction! See here!!!! -----> 

Spoiler

Deathwatch:[CPU I7 4790K @ 4.5GHz][RAM TEAM VULCAN 16 GB 1600][MB ASRock Z97 Anniversary][GPU XFX Radeon RX 480 8GB][STORAGE 250GB SAMSUNG EVO SSD Samsung 2TB HDD 2TB WD External Drive][COOLER Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo][PSU Cooler Master 650M][Case Thermaltake Core V31]

Spoiler

Cupid:[CPU Core 2 Duo E8600 3.33GHz][RAM 3 GB DDR2][750GB Samsung 2.5" HDD/HDD Seagate 80GB SATA/Samsung 80GB IDE/WD 325GB IDE][MB Acer M1641][CASE Antec][[PSU Altec 425 Watt][GPU Radeon HD 4890 1GB][TP-Link 54MBps Wireless Card]

Spoiler

Carlile: [CPU 2x Pentium 3 1.4GHz][MB ASUS TR-DLS][RAM 2x 512MB DDR ECC Registered][GPU Nvidia TNT2 Pro][PSU Enermax][HDD 1 IDE 160GB, 4 SCSI 70GB][RAID CARD Dell Perc 3]

Spoiler

Zeonnight [CPU AMD Athlon x2 4400][GPU Sapphire Radeon 4650 1GB][RAM 2GB DDR2]

Spoiler

Server [CPU 2x Xeon L5630][PSU Dell Poweredge 850w][HDD 1 SATA 160GB, 3 SAS 146GB][RAID CARD Dell Perc 6i]

Spoiler

Kero [CPU Pentium 1 133Mhz] [GPU Cirrus Logic LCD 1MB Graphics Controller] [Ram 48MB ][HDD 1.4GB Hitachi IDE]

Spoiler

Mining Rig: [CPU Athlon 64 X2 4400+][GPUS 9 RX 560s, 2 RX 570][HDD 160GB something][RAM 8GBs DDR3][PSUs 1 Thermaltake 700w, 2 Delta 900w 120v Server modded]

RAINBOWS!!!

QUOTE ME SO I CAN SEE YOUR REPLYS!!!!

What I fail to comprehend is that PC users can't download and store the video, and yet Xbox One users can.

HOW DOES THAT EVEN BEGIN TO MAKE SENSE?! Even if it is 4K, 1080P still looks good on a 4K display, and most people who are wanting this game have the hard drive space to store the video anyway, and if they don't, they can either get an extra hard drive or clear out some space on the drive.

DAYTONA

PROCESSOR - AMD RYZEN 7 3700X
MOTHERBOARD - ASUS PRIME X370-PRO
RAM - 32GB (4x8GB) CORSAIR VENGEANCE LPX DDR4-2400
CPU COOLING - NOCTUA NH-D14
GRAPHICS CARD - EVGA NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX 980Ti SC+ ACX 2.0 w/ BACKPLATE
BOOT and PROGRAMS - CORSAIR MP600 1TB
GAMES and FILES - TOSHIBA 2TB
INTERNAL BACKUP - WESTERN DIGITAL GREEN 4TB
POWER SUPPLY - CORSAIR RM850i
CASE - CORSAIR OBSIDIAN 750D

Well its a good thing pc gamers can't download it, who'd have room for 4k video?! Its not like any of us have the ability or room for additional storage devices or anything? And who wants to watch in anything but 4k amirite? Pff, we don't even need a 4k display to properly enjoy it anyway.

Just now, CyanideInsanity said:

Well its a good thing pc gamers can't download it, who'd have room for 4k video?! Its not like any of us have the ability or room for additional storage devices or anything? And who wants to watch in anything but 4k amirite? Pff, we don't even need a 4k display to properly enjoy it anyway.

Well, even 1080p videos aren't included, so you'd have to download and stream ALL of these videos cos not a single one is included in the game.

Just now, Samfisher said:

Well, even 1080p videos aren't included, so you'd have to download and stream ALL of these videos cos not a single one is included in the game.

True, but still its fucking stupid that they can't be locally stored either way. Its fucking astounding how out of touch so many devs and publishers are with consumers...

Incoming boycott.

I know I for one, will not be purchasing this game. My internet connection sucks a big one, and this would just make the entire game unplayable.

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

HAHA-GIF.gif

I wont buy any game from M$ Store.

| Intel i7-3770@4.2Ghz | Asus Z77-V | Zotac 980 Ti Amp! Omega | DDR3 1800mhz 4GB x4 | 300GB Intel DC S3500 SSD | 512GB Plextor M5 Pro | 2x 1TB WD Blue HDD |
 | Enermax NAXN82+ 650W 80Plus Bronze | Fiio E07K | Grado SR80i | Cooler Master XB HAF EVO | Logitech G27 | Logitech G600 | CM Storm Quickfire TK | DualShock 4 |

1 minute ago, Trik'Stari said:

Incoming boycott.

I know I for one, will not be purchasing this game. My internet connection sucks a big one, and this would just make the entire game unplayable.

I had a somewhat positive outlook on it. Looking forward to it, but definitely waiting until release to see how it turned out but they can seriously go fuck themselves. I don't even have shit internet service either but screw this bs.

Just now, xAcid9 said:

-snip

I wont buy any game from M$ Store.

Neither will I.

I can't wait to see the level of fail, and M$'s bumbling attempts to lie to us.

Just now, CyanideInsanity said:

I had a somewhat positive outlook on it. Looking forward to it, but definitely waiting until release to see how it turned out but they can seriously go fuck themselves. I don't even have shit internet service either but screw this bs.

Even with decent internet speeds, this will just increase loading times.

Just when you think M$ sees the light, they somehow find a way to fuck things up.

I actually don't have as much of a problem with this as some do. Cutscenes are often a very large proportion of the size of a game install, and that's why we often still get blocky, low-fidelity 720p30 cutscenes that are so jarring when we're otherwise playing the game at 1080p60. If streaming them in gives us the option to have better cutscene fidelity, I actually don't mind this. Arbitrary online requirements for single player components aren't something I'm psyched about, but as long as it's to solve a technical problem and provide a better experience to the player I'm not immediately opposed.

That said, it would be really nice if there was a way to opt out of this, and I have a feeling there won't be.

The other issues Windows Store apps scare me much, much more.

http://www.pcper.com/reviews/General-Tech/PC-Gaming-Shakeup-Ashes-Singularity-DX12-and-Microsoft-Store

Just now, typographie said:

I actually don't have as much of a problem with this as some do. Cutscenes are often a very large proportion of the size of a game install, and that's why we often still get blocky, low-fidelity 720p30 cutscenes that are so jarring when we're otherwise playing the game at 1080p60. If streaming them in gives us the option to have better cutscene fidelity, I actually don't mind this. Arbitrary always-online to play a single player component isn't something I love, but as long as it's to solve a technical problem and provide a better experience to the player I don't really mind.

That said, it would be really nice if there was a way to opt out of this, and I have a feeling there won't be.

The other issues Windows Store apps scare me much, much more.

http://www.pcper.com/reviews/General-Tech/PC-Gaming-Shakeup-Ashes-Singularity-DX12-and-Microsoft-Store

So why not give PC users an option then?  We're the platform with practically unlimited storage space.  To include ZERO of these cutscenes is just insane!  And I do know the other BS with the store, and this added on to the game is just another way to say fuck you.

Just now, Samfisher said:

So why not give PC users an option then?  We're the platform with practically unlimited storage space.  To include ZERO of these cutscenes is just insane!  And I do know the other BS with the store, and this added on to the game is just another way to say fuck you.

Piracy.

Which is funny, because this will lead to nothing BUT piracy.

11 minutes ago, Samfisher said:

Like I said at the end, I'd be happiest about it if we could opt out of it somehow.

10 minutes ago, Trik'Stari said:

Piracy.

Which is funny, because this will lead to nothing BUT piracy.

Well, I can't get inside Remedy/Microsoft's heads, but the cutscenes will end up on Youtube anyway. Probably in 4K. If this is meant to be DRM to deter piracy, it's probably the silliest way to go about it that I've ever heard. It's not really even an obstacle.

33 minutes ago, Trik'Stari said:

Incoming boycott.

I can't see a boycott making any real difference.  But I can see people simply not being able to play it making a huge difference.  The boycotts never go anywhere, but if consumers know they have bad internet, and know they have to stream a ton of video, plus the other MS store issues, they may just not buy it cause they CAN'T play it.  Which if it happens to enough people will be way way way more effective than a boycott ever could be. 

MS will see angry consumers boycotting as a small group of nobodies who don't matter.  But if accounting says X number of players would have bought it, but they can't stream all that video and it won't work on their computer because the stupid store, that might actually get some changes.  Cause while I'm not interested in the game, even if I was, the "have to stream the video" would be an instant no from me, far too many ways that can go wrong.

What happens if you are mid game and the servers go down?  Can you just not play anymore?  Does it keep playing the game, but you don't get cut scenes?  If this is really what they want, why don't they just make all games online only, and you don't even download the game, just a streaming client.  Then there will be no more piracy, but also barely anyone playing anymore.

I just see this as MS way of really "focusing" on PC gaming.  They are going to put a lot of "effort" into PC games, that will fail intentionally, and then they will just point at it and say "well, we tried".  Then they will blame it on piracy and say PC gamers are just whiny or uninterested.

I've got a feeling this is gonna be a GOTY, but not in a good way. 

The ability to google properly is a skill of its own. 

Forget that, since when videogaming turned into watching 4K movies? i want video games with 0 cutscenes, cutscenes are retarded i play video games for the gameplay, the gameplay meaning the controll i have over the game and its outcome, preferably in a fun way.

Fuck off with your hollywood cutscene movie experience and 24-30 fps, and fps is just a number.All this bullshit comes from the hollywood way of doing things/mentality.

No more cutscenes please, i want my game to have 30gb of maps and weapons and gameplay modes, not 15gb of movies i skip anyway and 15gb of content from which 5GB is preinstalled DLC mfkers.....blow me M$ and the game industry.

phew /rant

So wait: The xbox one which is limited to 500gb of space unless you buy a console with the 1TB drive gets the cut scenes without the need for streaming but the PC which most people have at least 1TB and can easily upgrade the storage is forced to stream the cut scenes due to storage space? Really Microsoft?

Just now, Squirrel724 said:

So wait: The xbox one which is limited to 500gb of space unless you buy a console with the 1TB drive gets the cut scenes without the need for streaming but the PC which most people have at least 1TB and can easily upgrade the storage is forced to stream the cut scenes due to storage space? Really Microsoft?

To be fair, this decision was probably made by Remedy and not MS but who knows.

43 minutes ago, ChineseChef said:

I just see this as MS way of really "focusing" on PC gaming.  They are going to put a lot of "effort" into PC games, that will fail intentionally, and then they will just point at it and say "well, we tried".  Then they will blame it on piracy and say PC gamers are just whiny or uninterested.

this.

I want more on this platform, not less. so having windows store, at first, seemed like an alright idea. but now.. all I can think is how much this might hurt the platform. If they don't fix any of the issues with the store, sales will be low. they will use these sales figures to justify dropping everything. while telling media "those damn pirates shoved us right out of the market :'("

MS task force in 3...

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

Phones: iPhone 4S/SE | LG V10 | Lumia 920 | Samsung S24 Ultra

Laptops: Macbook Pro 15" (mid-2012) | Compaq Presario V6000

Other: Steam Deck

<>EVs are bad, they kill the planet and remove freedoms too some/<>

7 hours ago, Samfisher said:

Source : http://www.pcgamesn.com/quantum-break/quantum-breaks-live-action-cutscenes-will-require-an-internet-connection

Holy freakin balls, this is some extreme DRM bullshit!  First all the fluff of being a MS Store exclusive, then all the nonsense with the MS Store game issues with v-sync and no executables, and now this.  Is Remedy just looking for ways to NOT succeed with the game??

I call total BS on this... No space on the disc?  Get it on more fucking discs then... RIP everyone with an internet bandwidth cap, low bandwidth, high latency connection.  This is beyond Ubisoft level now.

Why exactly is this a problem?

Consoles get more space on their disc for better textures/better game.

PC players should have a decent internet connection anyway since it's likely to be a 50+ GB download.

I don't see a problem since we get an exclusive 4K option and it's not really DRM since the cutscenes are TIED to the TV show so would have to be streamed anyway.

Gaming PC: Case: NZXT Phantom 820 Black | PSU: XFX 750w PRO Black Edition 80Plus Gold (Platinum) | CPU: Intel Core i5 4690K | CPU Cooler: BE QUIET! Dark Rock Pro 2 | MB: ASUS Sabertooth Z97 Mark S | RAM: 24GB Kingston HyperX and Corsair Vengeance 1866MHz | GPU: MSI R9 280X 3G | SSD: Samsung 840 Evo 250GB | HDD: 9TB Total | Keyboard: K70 RGB Brown | Mouse: R.A.T MMO7

Laptop: HP Envy 15-j151sa | 1920x1080 60HZ LED | APU: AMD A10-5750M 2.5GHZ - 3.5GHZ | 8GB DDR3 1600mhz | GPU: AMD  HD 8650G + 8750M Dual Graphics | 1TB SSHD