What happened to LinusTechTips

derick90

So I've been watching LMG videos for a couple years now, and i just have one very resounding question... There used to be quite a few "Unboxing" videos uploaded, as of late (mostly since the move) there really haven't been any.. Where did they go?? =[ Those were the videos that drew me to the channel. Now, I am aware that companies progress and evolve, but those are the roots of LMG, and it just seems a darn shame that they've taken a back burner to networking and server vids (although Linus has already expressed his feelings on that topic, lol.) Am I alone in thinking this or has anyone else noticed this trend?

Also... I miss the rants about product packaging..

CPU: Intel Core i5 6600K  Motherboard: Asus Z170-A  CPU Cooler: Corsair H110i GT  GPUGigabyte GTX 980 Xtreme  RAM:2x8gb HyperX Fury  SSD: 120gb A-Data  HDD: 1Tb WD Blue 7200RPM - 750gb Hitachi 2.5" HDD  PSU: EVGA SuperNova G1 650W  Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ATX  Monitor: 27" AOC LED IPS x 2  Keyboard: Corsair Strafe RGB Silent  Mouse: Corsair Scimitar RGB

HeadsetLogitech G430  

as you can see here, we have some VERY NICE CLOSED CELL FOAM....

Snorlax: i7 5820k @4.5ghz, Asus X99 Pro, 32gb Corsair Vengeance LPX 2666, Cryorig R1 Ultimate, Samsung 850 evo 500gb, Asus GTX 1080 ROG Strix, Corsair RM850x, NZXT H440, Hue+

Smallsnor: Huawei Matebook X

Canon AE-1 w/ 50mm f/1.8 lens

Pentax KM w/ 55mm f/1.8 SMC lens

Zenit-E w/ 58mm f/2 Helios lens

Panasonic G7 with 14-42mm f/3.5 lens

Polaroid Spectra System

1 minute ago, derick90 said:

snip

They've said straight out they are being more of a show channel.

That said to be honest, things have been much slower since july in the tech world... 

LINK-> Kurald Galain:  The Night Eternal 

Top 5820k, 980ti SLI Build in the World*

CPU: i7-5820k // GPU: SLI MSI 980ti Gaming 6G // Cooling: Full Custom WC //  Mobo: ASUS X99 Sabertooth // Ram: 32GB Crucial Ballistic Sport // Boot SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB

Mass SSD: Crucial M500 960GB  // PSU: EVGA Supernova 850G2 // Case: Fractal Design Define S Windowed // OS: Windows 10 // Mouse: Razer Naga Chroma // Keyboard: Corsair k70 Cherry MX Reds

Headset: Senn RS185 // Monitor: ASUS PG348Q // Devices: Note 10+ - Surface Book 2 15"

LINK-> Ainulindale: Music of the Ainur 

Prosumer DYI FreeNAS

CPU: Xeon E3-1231v3  // Cooling: Noctua L9x65 //  Mobo: AsRock E3C224D2I // Ram: 16GB Kingston ECC DDR3-1333

HDDs: 4x HGST Deskstar NAS 3TB  // PSU: EVGA 650GQ // Case: Fractal Design Node 304 // OS: FreeNAS

hes talked about this before

more professional content = in depth reviews and scripted videos

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

Can only un-box so much until new stuff comes out.

Linus may be focusing on server stuff until new worthy products starts coming out again.

COMMUNITY STANDARDS   |   TECH NEWS POSTING GUIDELINES   |   FORUM STAFF

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

Reputation is a Lifetime to create but seconds to destroy.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

Docendo discimus - "to teach is to learn"

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

I think they have just moved onto other things. There are a lot of other channels that do product reviews and unboxings and now as LMG is no longer directly connected to NCIX, there isn't really a reason to do that kind of video (or the massive product supply line of free stuff to open and review). 

Yes, it has been a bit networking heavy as of late but I think that has a lot to do with the new offices and setting up things in a more professional IT environment. I would expect that we will see that die down a bit in time as the office becomes truly stable. It's also good to remember that LMG is a production company, not just a tech review / youtube channel. I often think of what they are doing on youtube as a side business / hobby for the company rather than their actual mission. 

浪速の建てるは静か用に建てました!- Build Log Coming Soon!

1 minute ago, derick90 said:

So I've been watching LMG videos for a couple years now, and i just have one very resounding question... There used to be quite a few "Unboxing" videos uploaded, as of late (mostly since the move) there really haven't been any.. Where did they go?? =[ Those were the videos that drew me to the channel. Now, I am aware that companies progress and evolve, but those are the roots of LMG, and it just seems a darn shame that they've taken a back burner to networking and server vids (although Linus has already expressed his feelings on that topic, lol.) Am I alone in thinking this or has anyone else noticed this trend?

Also... I miss the rants about product packaging..

Mostly because the PC world itself has become stagnant. Very little going on. Not really any new GPU's or CPU's to unbox yet. Cases outside of CES has been lackluster or carbon copies of already released cases. Storage solutions have already been labeled boring by Linus himself. Once there is something new worthy of unboxing, a video will probably be made about it.

2016 should change that though. New GPUS that are not rebadges or cut down cards. New CPU's with entirely new architectures. Even faster, higher capacity NVME drives in the worlds (Micron just finished production on their 1TB and 2TB M.2 drives, and best believe Intel is gonna put their spin on it) and like i said before, those cases from CES should be shipped to the market very soon. With new Zen CPU's, comes new Zen motherboards to unbox as well.

My (incomplete) memory overclocking guide: 

Does memory speed impact gaming performance? Click here to find out!

On 1/2/2017 at 9:32 PM, MageTank said:

Sometimes, we all need a little inspiration.

I think unboxing videos are dumb.

Actual reviews are more helpful and informative.

9 minutes ago, Kloaked said:

I think unboxing videos are dumb.

Actual reviews are more helpful and informative.

I could not disagree more. Getting the "out of the box" experience is way more to me than any "Oh here have some shiny B shots of something and I tell you what the manual says"-thing. Back in the days when he just came up with things that were on his mind when he randomly took a motherboard and unboxed it infront of the NCIX headquarters that was really what I wanted to see. I can read the manual later or even on the internet off of the manufacturers website. Obviously with a motherboard there isn't much of functionality you could show off in an unboxing but the accessories and how everything is packed is an important thing to me when I buy stuff. Let's say with a case for example I would prefer especially Linus handling it uncut and trying out stuff by himself without a script. Tells me enough about the rigidity of that case already if you get what I mean. xD

With that said I do agree with most of what people said before me and I get why they can't only do that anymore. I do however miss it alot since I came across Linus' channel exactly because of that just like the OP.

CPU AMD Ryzen 5 5600X | Cooler Noctua NH-D15S | MB Asus ROG Strix B550 A-Gaming | RAM 2 x G.Skill Trident Z Royal silver 16 GB @ 3200 MHz CL14 | GPU Gigabyte GeForce RTX 3070 Vision OC 8G

Case Fractal Design Define C TG | SSD(s) Boot: Samsung 970 EVO 250 GBPrograms: Samsung 970 EVO 1 TBData: Samsung 860 EVO 500 GB | PSU Seasonic Focus GX 750W

Screen(s) Main: ViewSonic VX2758-2KP-mhd, Second: Asus PB277Q, Third: LG Flatron E2240T | Keyboard Ducky One (MX Blues) | Mouse Logitech G Pro Gaming

Sound Card: Asus Xonar D2X PCIe, System: Edifier R1280DB | OS Windows 10, 64 Bit

1 minute ago, intelCore said:

I could not disagree more.

Hang on. Watching someone unbox something is more helpful and informative than a full review? The review should include some sort of mention of how the product was shipped. This isn't something I disagree with.

What I'm saying is a video of someone (as much as I like Linus as a Youtube personality) unbox a product instead of doing a full review is useless and wastes time.

Most of the things people are buying nowadays have sufficient packing anyways. You get a box, and inside that box is another box that contains your product. Yes, I would love more videos knowing that my product came shipped in a box.

To be fair, new technology is really slow at the moment, and Linus mentioned that they don't want to be the same as all the other reviewers out there.

Also, the fact they're been getting huge network/server upgrades in the new office means;

1. we get lots of those videos

2. they're easy to make since they already have the equipment with real world usage

3. Linus gets cool, overkill stuff because companies want publicity :P

Laptop: Asus GA502DU

RAM: 16GB DDR4 | CPU: Ryzen 3750H | GPU: GTX 1660ti

11 minutes ago, Kloaked said:

-snip-

Yes to me that is more informative because the manual can give you all the information about the product. What a manual can not give you is the experience you get when opening the package and see what it is like when you first grab a product and handle it. How it looks and "feels". (2nd hand experience but still more than those shiny boring shots of a product)

I know for some people this means nothing but to me this is far more interesting than having a person reading out stuff I might already know about anyways while you can look at a 4k picture of the product how it's sitting on a table.

When it comes to benchmarking and such that is of course a different topic. I also get that there are people to whome this is not such a big thing but to me it is.

CPU AMD Ryzen 5 5600X | Cooler Noctua NH-D15S | MB Asus ROG Strix B550 A-Gaming | RAM 2 x G.Skill Trident Z Royal silver 16 GB @ 3200 MHz CL14 | GPU Gigabyte GeForce RTX 3070 Vision OC 8G

Case Fractal Design Define C TG | SSD(s) Boot: Samsung 970 EVO 250 GBPrograms: Samsung 970 EVO 1 TBData: Samsung 860 EVO 500 GB | PSU Seasonic Focus GX 750W

Screen(s) Main: ViewSonic VX2758-2KP-mhd, Second: Asus PB277Q, Third: LG Flatron E2240T | Keyboard Ducky One (MX Blues) | Mouse Logitech G Pro Gaming

Sound Card: Asus Xonar D2X PCIe, System: Edifier R1280DB | OS Windows 10, 64 Bit

1 minute ago, intelCore said:

Yes to me that is more informative because the manual can give you all the information about the product. What a manual can not give you is the experience you get when opening the package and see what it is like when you first grab a product and handle it. How it looks and "feels". (2nd hand experience but still more than those shiny boring shots of a product)

I know for some people this means nothing but to me this is far more interesting than having a person reading out stuff I might already know about anyways while you can look at a 4k picture of the product how it's sitting on a table.

When it comes to benchmarking and such that is of course a different topic. I also get that there are people to whome this is not such a big thing but to me it is.

I think Linus talked about that at some point (or another tech channel). They were talking about how all they end up doing is repeating whatever was said at some launch event, or on a website without adding any real value to the information.

1 minute ago, Rangaman42 said:

I think Linus talked about that at some point (or another tech channel). They were talking about how all they end up doing is repeating whatever was said at some launch event, or on a website without adding any real value to the information.

Yeah that's why a combination of a proper review with a proper unboxing is really what I would love just because the "First time opening" experience gives (me at least) extra value.

Just now, intelCore said:

Yeah that's why a combination of a proper review with a proper unboxing is really what I would love just because the "First time opening" experience gives (me at least) extra value.

I agree, the unboxing experience is cool because I find it gives me a feel for the overall product quality and what to expect if I actually bought it. If they combined that with an extended (two weeks - one month depending on product) review then I'd be pretty happy. That said, I like the stuff they're doing at the moment as well, and I guess we will likely see more new tech stuff when the new tech actually comes out.

i like un boxings as well, some more scrap yard type builds and an emergency repair show in the style of a comedic er reality show would be good. come on linus i need crap to stream while i'm building lol

I also enjoyed unboxings. My number one thing I would like to see is a build that does not focus on gaming and graphics. I would like to see more workstation builds. 

2 hours ago, intelCore said:

"Oh look, the product was packaged. And yep, it feels like a case." :|

if he focus on unboxing only, at the rate of the videos they are producing. 

Doubt there is any more new tech that can keep up.

6 hours ago, AlwaysFSX said:

"Oh look, the product was packaged. And yep, it feels like a case." :|

Linus got his first subs from unboxings. He made quality unboxings that in my opinion no one else did that good. If you think all the people at the beginning subscribed because of "Oh look, the product was packaged. And yep, it feels like a case." then that to me is an insult.

2 minutes ago, intelCore said:

Linus got his first subs from unboxings. He made quality unboxings that in my opinion no one else did that good. If you think all the people at the beginning subscribed because of "Oh look, the product was packaged. And yep, it feels like a case." then that to me is an insult.

You and literally everyone else remember LTT very differently if you think he did quality unboxings. He literally opened up a box and blabbed on for five or ten minutes about what's in the box, which you can get from a product page, Amazon, hundreds of tech sites on the Internet, whatever. What Linus does now is give an actual review over a product which is useful information that someone can use to make an informed and justified purchase. Doing a video from what you can off a product page is pointless and a waste of time when there is better and smarter content to be made.

Yep, it's in a box. And yep, it's a product.

Just now, AlwaysFSX said:

You and literally everyone else remember LTT very differently if you think he did quality unboxings. He literally opened up a box and blabbed on for five or ten minutes about what's in the box, which you can get from a product page, Amazon, hundreds of tech sites on the Internet, whatever. What Linus does now is give an actual review over a product which is useful information that someone can use to make an informed and justified purchase. Doing a video from what you can off a product page is pointless and a waste of time when there is better and smarter content to be made.

Yep, it's in a box. And yep, it's a product.

Read the thread. Just been through the discussion.